As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Harry Potter and the IMAXifer's Dome.

DrezDrez Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I will have some time to waste today and I am trying to think of non-alcoholic activities I can partake in NYC while I wait. I asked myself the question: "any ideas, self?" and my answer was immediate: "why, see Harry Potter of course!"

I see they are showing it in IMAX. I don't think I have ever seen a movie in IMAX, unless a visit to the planetarium counts. Now, I don't care about the price differential but I've heard generally mixed reviews about IMAX. It seems to be a bit distracting for some films? I guess?

I am nearsighted with no glasses at the moment. Not terribly nearsighted, but I try to sit at the front of the second third section of the theater when I see a movie on a regular screen.

Will I have a problem? Should I go for the IMAX experience? Has anyone seen the new HP in IMAX?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
Drez on

• Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    I don't think I have ever seen a movie in IMAX, unless a visit to the planetarium counts.

Are they showing it on a planetarium style dome? I have no idea if this is common practice, but I've seen exactly one movie in IMAX (Superman Returns) and it was in a theater that displays the movie on a dome that functions as a planetarium as well; it's in the Des Moines Science Center. I hated it. It was distorted and disorienting and practically ruined the movie for me. I don't know if the Imax/Dome thing is common practice, but I really hope not. If this dome thing is what you're considering, I would pass on it.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Erandus wrote: »
    I don't think I have ever seen a movie in IMAX, unless a visit to the planetarium counts.

Are they showing it on a planetarium style dome? I have no idea if this is common practice, but I've seen exactly one movie in IMAX (Superman Returns) and it was in a theater that displays the movie on a dome that functions as a planetarium as well; it's in the Des Moines Science Center. I hated it. It was distorted and disorienting and practically ruined the movie for me. I don't know if the Imax/Dome thing is common practice, but I really hope not. If this dome thing is what you're considering, I would pass on it.

I thought that's what IMAX primarily was...the whole dome thing. Like surround-video or whatever.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I just didn't know if that was standard IMAX. If that's the case, I hate it.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I thought that's what IMAX primarily was...the whole dome thing. Like surround-video or whatever.

no drez, thats omnimax

imax is just a gifuckinggantic screen

the lincoln center imax is decent, mostly

not the best imax theater i've been in, those go to the jordan's furniture theaters near my house in MA, but the lincoln center one is not bad

have not been to the other nyc ones

edit: i didnt even know they showed real movies on those dome ones, i thought they only showed science ones made specifically for that format
    weird

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited November 2010

no drez, thats omnimax

imax is just a gifuckinggantic screen

the lincoln center imax is decent, mostly

not the best imax theater i've been in, those go to the jordan's furniture theaters near my house in MA, but the lincoln center one is not bad

have not been to the other nyc ones

edit: i didnt even know they showed real movies on those dome ones, i thought they only showed science ones made specifically for that format
    weird

Man I feel like such newbsauce.

Drez on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There was a big push for large scale movie screens awhile back and no format ever really took over, so IMAX films (which is a specific standard but also some of the only large scale films being made) are shown on a host of screens that aren't IMAX screens. Cinedomes being one weird example.

note: There are IMAX Domes, but they use a special projector and lens to make it not weird and distorted. I can't imagine this looking good for a normal movie though, only a sciencey arty movie.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    There are IMAX Domes, but they use a special projector and lens to make it not weird and distorted. I can't imagine this looking good for a normal movie though, only a sciencey arty movie.

The one I went to was supposed to be such a dome, but in practice it only "works" if you sit very very close to the projector in the center. Essentially only the first 40-50 people in the theater get a "good" seat. If you sit anywhere else, the edges of the screen that are further away from you end up very pinched and distorted.

I would never go to any sort of dome movie experience again, ever. Just a plain ol' huge ass screen? I'm listening...

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Saw TDK and 300 on an IMAX screen (normal rectangle ones, not the domes). It's pretty amazing, but if at all possible, get there with ample time to spare so you can get good seats near the middle. It depends on the theater, but being near the edge gives a hella distorted view.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There are IMAX Domes, but they use a special projector and lens to make it not weird and distorted. I can't imagine this looking good for a normal movie though, only a sciencey arty movie.

The one I went to was supposed to be such a dome, but in practice it only "works" if you sit very very close to the projector in the center. Essentially only the first 40-50 people in the theater get a "good" seat. If you sit anywhere else, the edges of the screen that are further away from you end up very pinched and distorted.

I would never go to any sort of dome movie experience again, ever. Just a plain ol' huge ass screen? I'm listening...

Oh god yes, for the most part all domes have sweet spots and they aren't always in the same place. Always ask an employee where to sit if you're in a dome.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The theaters by me just call their digital projectors IMAX. Same screen and surround sound equipment, they're just using the digital projector instead of the film projector and charge $4 a ticket extra.

If your theater is like that, I would say that there's not that much of a difference until a few weeks into the movie's release, when the film starts to degrade a little.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The IMAX movies here are better than standard, but not the dome thing, except for one place that has an IMAX dome. I just saw Harry Potter on the standard IMAX. Seriously. What a waste of money. It was better. It was not $7/person better (yeah, it cost that much more). The screen was larger and slightly curved (I guess something to do with image quality due to the type of film or maybe viewing angle related?), the picture was definitely sharper and clearer, like going from standard tv to hdtv.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Jimmy King wrote: »
    The screen was larger and slightly curved (I guess something to do with image quality due to the type of film or maybe viewing angle related?)

I think it has to do with making the entire screen more equally distant from the camera lens, so the whole picture is in sharper focus.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jimmy King wrote: »
    The screen was larger and slightly curved (I guess something to do with image quality due to the type of film or maybe viewing angle related?)

I think it has to do with making the entire screen more equally distant from the camera lens, so the whole picture is in sharper focus.

Yeah, even "normal" IMAX screens are supposed to have a bit of a curve to them. Not enough to really wreck the viewing experience from any of the seats, but it might be noticeable if you're on the edges.

And most multiplexes that claim IMAX have the projectors and everything, and the screens are bigger than standard screens, but they're nothing compared to "real" IMAX screens.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The only movies I saw in IMAX were I Am Legend and The Dark Knight, both of the experiences were amazing and I love the movies that much more because of it. Harry Potter is kind of slow on the action side, but when stuff does happen you'll mouth will be open the whole time.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    my local imax shows movies in letterbox :/ not a fan

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    IMAX is cool, but not really worth the extra money. If you feel like seeing it on a bigger screen, go ahead. I saw the Dark Knight in IMAX the weekend it came out and it was fucking amazing, but I wouldn't pick it over a normal screening for every movie that had the option.

And yes, OMNIMAX is not the same thing as IMAX. I'm under the impression that you could theoretically play a IMAX format movie in a dome but it would be all distorted. The movies that one sees at Science World and the Ontario Science Center in the dome are specially filmed to fit the curved projection screen.

As wikipedia points out:
    The dome system, which the San Diego Hall of Science called OMNIMAX, uses films shot with a camera equipped with a fisheye lens on the camera that squeezes a highly distorted 180° field of view onto the 65 mm IMAX film. The lens is aligned below the center of the frame and most of the bottom half of the circular field falls beyond the edge of the film. The part of the field that would fall below the edge of the dome is masked off. When filming, the camera is aimed upward at an angle that matches the tilt of the dome. When projected through a matching fisheye lens onto a dome, the original panoramic view is recreated. OMNIMAX wraps 180° horizontally, 100° above the horizon and 22° below the horizon for a viewer at the center of the dome.

OMNIMAX_frame.png

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    my local imax shows movies in letterbox :/ not a fan

IMAX theaters usually letterbox it to keep the aspect ratio as it was. To completely fill the screen, they would either have to crop the image, or display an image filmed for IMAX. A good example of this is The Dark Knight, where certain scenes were filmed in the IMAX format, so they fill the entire screen. It looked pretty amazing.

Sir Platypus on