As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

hdtv doesnt display computer screen

CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So my tv has stopped displaying my comp screen after startup. It loads The dell start up page and the. Windows loading screen hut when it switches to the log on page it goes black and says no signal. Now if I start in safe mode everything is ok. So I rolled back my vid card drivers and restart. Same prob. Card is NVIDIA geforce 8800 gt. I'm posting from my phone any help would be appreciated

1850973-1.png
Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
Crovaxan on

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My PC did this when I accidentally connected both a DVI and HDMI cable hooked up. Do you have multiple cables hooked up to your video card?

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    No I only have the one cable from my vid card to hdmi

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sounds like your comp is trying to display at a resolution your TV can't handle. Boot back into safe mode, set your resolution to something basic like 800 x 600 and then try booting back into regular mode.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    When I go to safe mode I right click go to display settings it only shows 800x600.. and the nvidia control panel doesn't come up

Edit: if I disable The card in device manager that would completely mess it up and id need a reg monitor cable right

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You could try removing your video card to see if the integrated graphics on your mobo can show you something.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Sounds like your comp is trying to display at a resolution your TV can't handle. Boot back into safe mode, set your resolution to something basic like 800 x 600 and then try booting back into regular mode.

The problem with doing this, as you've noticed, is that it changes the resolution for safe mode and not regular mode. A couple options:

1. When booting, hit F8 before it starts booting Windows to get an advanced boot options menu. Depending on the version of Windows you're running, one option might be low-resolution (640x480) graphics. Select this and you'll boot in a resolution so low ANYTHING can display it. Then set your resolution appropriately.

2. Boot into safe mode, go into the device manager, right click on your MONITOR (not video card) driver, and uninstall/remove it. When you boot back up, it should automatically redetect and reinstall your HDTV monitor at some useful resolution.

If neither of those work, let us know.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    ok i just rebooted it into low resolution and it still black screens. when i go to device manager my tv doesnt even show up. Im on windows vista and using a regular hdtv with hdmi slot in case that helps.

I also dont have a regular montior cable to use my integrated graphics. but im callin my friend to see if hes got one.

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
  • Options
    AxleMooreAxleMoore Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Go look under display options in the appearance section.

I had a problem with my TV not displaying for a while either. All I had to do was set it to my primary display.

AxleMoore on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    AxleMoore wrote: »
    Go look under display options in the appearance section.

I had a problem with my TV not displaying for a while either. All I had to do was set it to my primary display.

That is one huge sig

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    ok so im gonna add pictures to show whats goin on. Now i switched to another tv just to eliminate that possibilty, when i go thru appearance heres what is see. pictues are probably huge im at 1280x800 right now
    apperadv.jpg

and when i go thru display settings i see
    displaysettings.jpg

and the adv tab shows me
    displayadv.jpg

as far as device manager all i see is.
    devman.jpg

EDIT stupid paint left those huge sides

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is the tv plugged into the computer? Is the TV turned on? Will the tv display other things? Its possible your actual tv is broken.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    yea the tv is plugged into my comp and shows regular satellite. this is happening on two separate tvs. it loads safe mode fine. im posting from it right now. but as soon as i boot into normal it does the windows loading screen and the dell boot screen but when it switches to the log on page. it blacks out and both tvs say no signal.

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Is it possible his video card is dead?

Do you have another computer you can try the card on, or another card you can borrow from a friend to try in your computer?

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    my friends coming over today, ill ask him to bring his comp so i can do that and get back to you guys.

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So i just pulled my vid card and im running on integrated graphics. everything booted up fine. So i guess that means my vid card is goin out on me. anyone know any deals on a replacement card perferably under $100?

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    NewEgg should have some specials running tomorrow for Cyber Monday.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I really doubt the graphics card died and the symptom is it cant output that one specific resolution anymore. Ive never ever ever heard of that happening.

Do you have a regular PC monitor thats capable of a lot of different resolutions that you can try? If it displays, you can check the monitor info page (built into the monitor options) and see what resolution its displaying at. I have a feeling somehow it got switched to a non-standard resolution in the nvidia control panel.

The other thing you can try is uninstalling all the nvidia drivers, shut down, plug the TV back in, and reboot. Windows should load at the default 800x600 or 1024x768 (which any tv these days should be able to display) and then reinstall the appropriate drivers for you.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Also possible the card thinks the tv is monitor #2? Try moving the mouse all the way left/right and see if the cursor shows up?

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It's definetly something with the drivers. I uninstalled everything nvidia related, installed the card and it booted up fine. loads up the drivers, restarts, bam no screen problem again.

the screen goes black and then switches to my tvs default no signal screen so i cant move the cursor.

I've ben trying to get to the nvidia control panel before restarting but it doesnt show up so i checked the date of the current driver and its from march or something. SO im downloading the newest driver from nvidia now and hopefully that works.

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I actually just started having the same problem after having upgraded from an 8800GT :(

the annoying thing about the problem I'm having is that the computer fully recognizes the HDTV as a "1080p HDTV" when the TV is set to a video input that isn't the PC's HDMI cable, so like, if I have it on my PS3's videomode, the display extends just fine and I can drag windows and stuff onto the TV's desktop (though obviously I can't see it) and then when I change to the PC's input, it starts seeing "default VGA adapter: unknown" and cannot extend,mirror, or display on the TV.

The best I can tell is for some reason the TV has begun to fail the HDCP handshake. I'm wondering if the new (GTX470) card has a different idea of what an acceptable handshake lookslike. The other thing is that the DVI->HDMI cable I'm using is approximately 50 feet long (sunk under floor, comes back up on other side of the room) so maybe there's some loss or something, but then wouldn't that have affected the previous card?

I suspect the new driver might just be a stinker, but it's so hard to filter the really dumb complaints from the relevant ones on the NVIDIA support forum to see if anyone else is having trouble.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I know this is may sound extremely stupid, but have you tried turning it on, and then once you get "no signal" holding down the windows key and hitting 'P'? It toggles between projection options and it is possible your video card is associating your setup as being connected to one for whatever reason.

I mention this because it has happened to me before.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    jamesrajamesra Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This may sound really stupid, but:

Check the NVidia control panel. Windows doesn't load the card specific drivers until after the login screen. I have an ATI card now, but with my old laptop (NVidia), I had a problem for a while where I had to manually re-enable multi-monitor support every time my machine restarted. Since safe mode won't load up the fancy NVidia stuff, it will revert to the native windows control panel, but in standard mode, once you finish the login the windows display controls are largely over-ridden.

jamesra on
    "Everything in war is very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult. The difficulties accumulate and end by producing a kind of friction. . . . This tremendous friction . . . is everywhere in contact with chance, and brings about effects that cannot be measured, just because they are largely due to chance" Carl Von Clausezwitz. (1832),