As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me clone my OS Partition

archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
I bought a Momentus XT 500 GB Hybrid HDD, and I'd like to clone my existing partition over to it. I don't want to re-install my OS and all my programs, because of this Charlie Foxtrot I ran into when I last tried to install Windows 7 .

I'd like to find some type of free-software that I can use to totally clone my existing hard drive -- boot information and all -- onto the new disc. I tried using an old copy of Acronis that I had, but it didn't successfully copy the boot information. Any suggestions on what I should use? Please note that I don't have a working DVD drive, nor my windows 7 DVD, so I'd prefer something that doesn't require either of those (though I can probably use one of my roommate's DVD drives if need be). Any help is much appreciated!

873342-1.png
archonwarp on

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I used HDClone, and beyond one minor registry issue, it worked like a charm.

No extra equipment needed, as far as I can remember - I had both HDDs plugged in, and simply pointed it in the right direction.

The only worry I had was longevity (I have trust issues), but that ended up being a moot point, as I installed Windows 7 a couple of months later.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Thanks for the recommendation! I'm giving it a try now. I purchased one of these on the cheap, just in case it doesn't work. I'll let you know how it works.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Totally borked my hard drive. xD Working on getting ahold of my Windows 7 pro disc now so I can reinstall. Thanks for the recommendation though.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Noo :(

Tamin on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    In Win7 you can use the back up tool to make an image of your drive. You make the image and either save it else where or burn it. Then you install the new drive and load the image of the old os onto the drive. You can then use the windows partition manager to resize the drive to what you need/want.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah the easiest way to move Win 7 is to take a System Image with it's backup tool and then restore it to another computer/drive. Worked great when I upgraded my laptop's HDD.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Eh, it wasn't totally gone, just all of the boot information. It's for the best though, as it's been almost a year since I've formatted and I rarely even cleaned out my system. Runs smoother than before now! :D

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png