As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Motorcycle Camping ON!

JokermanJokerman EverythingEverywhereRegistered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Ever since I've started riding a motorcycle, I've had the itch to go on a big trip.
So this spring I was thinking about getting out on the road and going motorcycle camping through the south east. Now I've gone car camping a few times, but I was wondering if anyone had some pointers on what to bring and how to do it.

I have an ultralight hammock, but that's about it as far as camping supplies. So any recomendations then let er rip.

Jokerman on

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've done camping from a motorcycle a few times now; it can be a lot of fun. I even did it with a two-man tent and sleeping bag, so I'd say it doesn't necessarily require super lightweight, minimalist camping gear. That being said, the less stuff you have to unpack and repack all the time, the better. Bring as little as you think you can get away with; you'll be happier.

I ended up using saddlebags and bungee cargo nets to secure most of my stuff. Those bungee cargo nets are godsends (always bring a spare or two as well). I didn't do a whole lot of cooking however, as it would've involved bringing a lot more equipment.

The other thing to keep in mind is that occasionally you can get deals for being a motorcyclist. Keep an eye out, never be afraid to ask about a discount, and if you're stuck and can't find somewhere to set up, you'd be amazed how many folks will let you camp in their backyard or field just for some conversation.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • PelPel Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Your best friends are a hammock, a collapsible softshell cooler, and some utility tarps. My wife and I camped together on one small motorcycle (a 550)... we didn't do a lot of cooking but we did do some. Mostly we set up on a nice set of trees with the hammock strung up, then, if there was a chance of rain, strung up a tarp on a line above us like a roof (with a few small cargo straps laced to stakes... these straps can do double duty holding your things to the bike on the road) and tarped off our gear packed on the bike. It's not too hard to stay dry even in serious rain. In hindsight, I'd probably use 2 small tarps instead of one medium sized one, and overlap them, with one nearly to the ground on the windward side to protect more against wind-blown rain.

You probably already know this if you've spent some time on the bike doing anything but cruising for chicks on a weekend, but the worst mistake you can make is to not bring enough tie-down straps. Every shape, size, and tension will come in handy.

Pel on
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What kind of bike do you have? The style of bike is going to limit/expand the kind of cargo containers you can carry. Basically all you need is some easily cookable, non-perishable food, so canned stuff or vacuum sealed stuff, or even MRE's if you can get them cheap/free, a tent, some clothes, toiletries and a small portable camping stove (get the gel fuel kind, not propane, you dont really want to carry propane tanks incase you crash).

You can fit all that stuff in 2 saddle bags and strap the tent down with a bungee net behind you. Maybe get a backpack too if you can find one thats comfortable to wear for 4-12 hours a day while riding. Keep the fuel containers for the cooking stove buried under soft stuff, like your clothes, that way if you dump the bike you lessen the chance of them cracking open.

Oh and bring whatever tools youd need to do minor repairs, like fixing (patching) a flat or changing out a sparkplug. Nothing blows more than sitting on the side of the road for a few hours in the middle of no where, waiting for someone to pass by or waiting for a tow truck to come from 3 towns over, especially when its something small and easily fixable. I carry a kit that can pretty much tear my entire bike down on the side of the road, aside from breaking the cam/drive chain. Its saved my ass more than a couple times. Then again, i ride vintage bikes and i work on them myself, so im pretty comfortable with tearing into it on a dark and lonely road.

Oh yeah and take your cellphone and find places to charge it, or wire up a charger into your bikes electrical if its a newer bike (like, 1995+, give or take).

*edit* oh yeah, and dont bother bringing a ton of things to drink. Just grab drinks when you stop for gas, because if youre going any real distance, you'll be stopping a couple times per day. Liquid weights too much and its not worth losing carrying space to hold 20 bottles of water. Always drink something when you stop, and keep 1 extra (non-soda) drink just incase, like a gatorade or something that will actually hydrate you well. Unless youre going to some really adventurous places where its possible you might get trapped or lost for days with no water to be found, any more is really a waste.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • CecilsanCecilsan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    When I went on a short trip (160 mile one way) I took this along for extra fuel and in case I needed to cook

http://www.basspro.com/MSR-Fuel-Bottles-for-Camping-Stoves/product/27704/-106670

Cecilsan on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MSR Whisperlights are amazing, by the way, if you need a camp stove. Also, having one extra hydration/water pack might be convenient if you can spare the weight. Platypus makes easily the best water packs, btw.

Mortal Sky on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MREs are awesome, if you get the right ones. I know the ones in Australia have a letter rating from A to E, which loosely corresponds to about how much you'll want to eat it, in inverse order. A = bland, tasteless food super-good for you, but boring and gross. E = pack has candy in it.

And the good thing is all you need to heat and eat said MRE is a folding hexamine camp stove, and a set of camping cutlery.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you're looking to "stealth camp," ie camping in places not really intended for such or sneaking into a campground late at night and leaving early in the morning without paying, you'll want to make concessions on what gear you bring. Since you're doing the southeast you'll probably be heading into the Appalachians, I highly recommend an inflatable pad beneath your sleeping bag and a tent since it will rain on you/get colder than you expect. If you're riding a sport or adventure bike and you don't have hard saddle bags, get some. GPS, chargers for your electronics, and a basic tool kit are all great ideas. Carry some spares for common breakable items if you have the room/weight allowance. Spark plugs love going out while you're in the middle of the woods.

[edit] Also if you're heading into Arkansas, specifically northwest Arkansas, lemme know if you want to see some of the best roads in the country.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    For sleeping arrangements get yourself two sleeping pads. One closed cell foam and one inflatable. Thermarest is a great company for those. Get a warmer sleeping bag than you think you'll need.

If you're going to be in the mountains at all it can get chilly, even in spring. I would recommend something like a 20 degree F bag. Down bags are much more compressible and lighter but more expensive. Also you don't want to get them wet (they lose their insulation properties when wet).

Invest in a high quality two person tent. One person tents suck. Go for a single wall tent to save space and weight. I have a Black Diamond Lighthouse which is very roomy, weighs just over 3 lbs and packs down quite small. There are several companies that offer single wall tents (mostly made of Silnylon and Epic) including Black Diamond and GoLite. Don't forget a sheet of Tyvek as a cheap and easy ground cloth.

Sleeping out under the stars in the southeast can be wonderful or it can be a nightmare. Bugs are a persistent threat so it's nice to have refuge when you don't want to be eaten alive.

National Forests are you friend here. I believe all National Forests have dispersed camping, which means you can camp wherever you like (except when designated as a no-camping area). Generally you have to be a half mile from the closest road and 50 feet from the closest hiking trail. This varies and really isn't enforce too specifically. Just remember that Forest Service employees keep pretty regular hours so if you're just camping somewhere for the night it's not likely that you will get rustled out of anywhere unless you're camping right off some main drag.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
    edited November 2010
    Or get a swag.

They're a sleeping bag, tent and mattress all in one.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Or get a swag.

They're a sleeping bag, tent and mattress all in one.

I dont want a swag, I have a Hammock! It coalpses down to the size of a grapefruit and it fits in my bag perfectly, along with it's rainfly, bugnet, and tree straps. Takes me maybe three minutes to throw the whole thing up and i'm good to go. I dont know how big a swag is but it seems like it'd be a bit bulkier then i'd care to strap to a motorcycle.
    Gafoto wrote: »
    National Forests are you friend here. I believe all National Forests have dispersed camping, which means you can camp wherever you like (except when designated as a no-camping area). Generally you have to be a half mile from the closest road and 50 feet from the closest hiking trail. This varies and really isn't enforce too specifically. Just remember that Forest Service employees keep pretty regular hours so if you're just camping somewhere for the night it's not likely that you will get rustled out of anywhere unless you're camping right off some main drag.

Thank you! This is awesome information and is extremely helpful. To know that I can just track down a national forest (There's one in every state i'm going to visit) and bed down for the night is incredible. Thanks for the tip.

Jokerman on