As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hacking followed by Slashing: We need More!

GrudgematchGrudgematch Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Games and Technology
Hack and Slashers! New and Old gather round!

I got to thinking the other day what are some of the most enjoyable moments of gaming that I have had?

Then the revelation dawned upon me that some of the most fun I have ever had with gaming was repeatedly tapping buttons to receive sweet lewts! That's right Hack and Slash the most satisfying type of monotony!

So I started thinking about the best hack and slashers I have played, and came up with the most memorable for me. I've been gaming for around 15 years, with me being 20 at the moment and have played a lot of hack and slashers but for me a certain series always sticks in mind and that was the consoles version of Baldur's gate, namely Dark Alliance and its sequel. Now I know I will probably be beaten to death for making this claim but hear me out.

For some reason this series of game just sticks in my mind, it just had these level of depth that would draw me right into the game and fully immerse me in that world. I think one of the main reasons I enjoyed it so much was because of its inclusion of co-op, crawling through the vast and detailed dungeons with a friends just added a whole new dimension of awesomeness, this was at a point where I had limited or no access to online PC games, due to being young and not being able to afford hardware upgrades for my PC so I was like 1000000 years behind everyone else in that respect.

But anyway for me it was just the epitome of cool at the time and this series robbed a lot of hours of life from me and my friends but it was one hell of a game in my own opinion.

What are your fondest memories of hack and slashers or dungeon crawling?

Grudgematch.png
Grudgematch.png
Grudgematch on

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My current fave is Sacred 2. It's really really a great game.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I heard it was buggy and crashed a lot at release. Did that get fixed through patches? I liked what little I played of Sacred, and always wanted to try Sacred 2 but never got around to grabbing it.

Outside of the obvious Diablo 2 love that will undoubtedly show up in this thread, I know I spent hundreds of hours on it, My hack and slash of choice is Titan Quest with its expansion. The class structure for it was phenomenal, with 9 masteries to choose from and mix 2 of to create your character. Beautiful graphics, and incredibly satisfying ragdoll death animations and flying bodies that seem to fly further the more damage you hit them with on the killing blow. Lots of really good loot too.

Its a shame that Iron Lore got shuttered, but the lead designer and lead artist of TQ started Crate Entertainment from the ashes of Iron Lore, working on a new action RPG Grim Dawn using the same engine and tools and a similar class system. Can't wait for it to get done.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    eelektrik wrote: »

I heard it was buggy and crashed a lot at release. Did that get fixed through patches? I liked what little I played of Sacred, and always wanted to try Sacred 2 but never got around to grabbing it.

It must have. I've never really had any problems with it unless I play couch co-op then I have some burps with going into my own inventory. But that fixes itself after a bit. There's a few glitches but with the depth the game has, I expect them and they're of the funny variety. I haven't seen a game-breaking one yet.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I never had crash issues with Sacred 2, even at release, but I did hit a few mechanic-related ones. At some point a quest item didn't drop, and once I parked my vehicle too close to the loading zone, which made it impossible to get it due to hitting the loading screen before I reached it.
    Luckily the game appears to have a sanity checker included for save games, because upon saving and reloading it spawned the quest item where I killed the mobs that drop it were and it moved my vehicle out of the loading area. So, small brownie points to whomever put in those checks.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

It must have. I've never really had any problems with it unless I play couch co-op then I have some burps with going into my own inventory. But that fixes itself after a bit. There's a few glitches but with the depth the game has, I expect them and they're of the funny variety. I haven't seen a game-breaking one yet.

I was referring to the PC version reviews that I read, Such as from 1up.com's review,

For the most part, you're playing a slick, streamlined action-RPG that knows how to move as fast or as methodically as you want. But sometimes, it grinds to a halt. Underneath the open-world thrill, the addictive character advancement, and the lovely graphics, something is unstable. Sacred 2 is fussy about graphics settings, prone to crashing, and given to inexplicable slowdown. Usually a quick save and reboot addresses everything nicely, getting you right back to--

They still gave it an A- though. I do need to play it at some point.

The next year+ should be a great time for Hacking and Slashing though, lots of potentially good stuff to look forward to. Torchlight II, Diablo 3, Grim Dawn, Dungeon Siege 3, and maybe even Lord of the Rings: War in the North.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Vehicles? In Sacred 2?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I was referring to the PC version reviews that I read, Such as from 1up.com's review,

Ah, maybe then. I was just on the 360. The customibility in the game is RIDICULOUSLY huge, many many times deeper then even Diablo 2, I think.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Vehicles? In Sacred 2?
    The tiger/beetle/wheelcycle/etc.

Every class had one that they could buy.

On a more thread-related note; It's not hack and slash, but Borderlands really scratches the mindless killing and looting itch for me.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Vehicles? In Sacred 2?
    It's more likely than you think.
    sacred2guardian4mq3.jpg

Glal on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So there was a Sacred 2 expansion, that never got released in the US. Anyone know if its worth tracking down a UK copy of Sacred 2 and the Ice and Blood expansion or the UK Sacred 2: Gold Edition?

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    As mentioned in another thread, Torchlight is heading to XBL.

I played Sacred 2 on the 360. Was terrible. But it's a European RPG port to the 360 so that's kinda expected. Going through Gothic 4 now and it has a very Sacred 2 on 360 vibe.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Vehicles? In Sacred 2?

On a more thread-related note; It's not hack and slash, but Borderlands really scratches the mindless killing and looting itch for me.

Oh, MOUNTS. You so crazy.

Also, yes yes yes on Borderlands. Why in the fuck they're bothering with Duke Nukem instead of making BL2 is something I'm not equipped to understand. I love that game.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance you really should try Champions of Norrath, by the same developer.

Zell on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Vehicles? In Sacred 2?
    My mount was a vehicle. 8-)

Glal on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I started thinking about the best hack and slashers I have played, and came up with the most memorable for me. I've been gaming for around 15 years, with me being 20 at the moment and have played a lot of hack and slashers but for me a certain series always sticks in mind and that was the consoles version of Baldur's gate, namely Dark Alliance and its sequel. Now I know I will probably be beaten to death for making this claim but hear me out.

There are actually quite a few DA2 people working at Obsidian (and maybe working on DS3)

Aaron Brown (Artist)
    Trent Campbell (Artist)
    Brian Menze (Artist)
    Denis Presnell (Artist)
    Scott Everts (Designer, Unlikely since he was a lead world builder job on New Vegas. Maybe switched now)
    Frank Kowasomething (Programmer, also unlikely)

and some other dudes less important in the design process

Also Chris Avellone was designing on DA1 and Champions.

C2B on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Brutal Legend is basically Guilty Gear 2 without all the bullshit. Combining Savage 2, Sacrifice and Dynasty Warriors, it's the best and most innovative multiplayer ever. I played it online for a year. Monday Night Combat is similar.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Vehicles? In Sacred 2?

Also, yes yes yes on Borderlands. Why in the fuck they're bothering with Duke Nukem instead of making BL2 is something I'm not equipped to understand. I love that game.

Because DNF is basically guaranteed money, for (likely) very little work. 3DRealms had a lot of the game done, so all they had to do was finish it up and put it out. Just think of DNF as capital for BL2.

Dourin on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    Brutal Legend is basically Guilty Gear 2 without all the fun.

Fixed for you! <3

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sheep wrote: »

I played Sacred 2 on the 360. Was terrible. But it's a European RPG port to the 360 so that's kinda expected. Going through Gothic 4 now and it has a very Sacred 2 on 360 vibe.

Yes, but will the XBLA Torchlight have co-op?

chamberlain on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is anyone playing Vindictus? I saw an ad on PA's front page a few days ago, and the trailers look pretty good, but I know next to nothing about it. Does it adequately scratch the clickclickclickclick...loot pinata itch?

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Sheep wrote: »

Yes, but will the XBLA Torchlight have co-op?

Would be awesome if it did but I doubt it. Vanilla Torchlight lacks it but it is headed to the sequel.

Again, would be super nice.

I'll eMail them and ask.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejqCZw4Mua4&feature=player_embedded

Sheep on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Is anyone playing Vindictus? I saw an ad on PA's front page a few days ago, and the trailers look pretty good, but I know next to nothing about it. Does it adequately scratch the clickclickclickclick...loot pinata itch?

It's a mix of diablo and monster hunter and despite being a little repititous, fuck awesome. It is also free.

corin7 on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I feel like I'm the only person who didn't play Diablo like clickclickclickclickclick. I held the mouse button down. I remember holding the button down to attack things too, but I'm not sure. The clicking would have driven my mom insane since the computer was in a common area.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I feel like I'm the only person who didn't play Diablo like clickclickclickclickclick. I held the mouse button down. I remember holding the button down to attack things too, but I'm not sure. The clicking would have driven my mom insane since the computer was in a common area.
    That only worked in Diablo 2.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Madworld. Nuff said.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    That only worked in Diablo 2.

Oh, that was it then.

Also, the XBLA game Arkadian Warriors is a decent HnS game. Plus its co op.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dourin wrote: »
    Vehicles? In Sacred 2?

Because DNF is basically guaranteed money, for (likely) very little work. 3DRealms had a lot of the game done, so all they had to do was finish it up and put it out. Just think of DNF as capital for BL2.

There is also the mad giggle-inducing notion that after all the long years, DNF is finally getting released.

I mean, if I could be a part of something like that, I would take the chance in an instant.

Anyway, on topic, Titan Quest, and Borderlands are the two hack n' slash Action RPGs that have held my attention the longest. I belive I've even put more hours in each one than I have ever played of Diablo II.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Brutal Legend is basically Guilty Gear 2 without all the fun.

Fixed for you! <3

Seeing as how GG2 was horribly executed, you clearly didn't play.... either. Or Sacrifice. Or Savage 2. Or Monday Night Combat.
    complaining_francis.jpg

People who know what they're talking about.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Seeing as how GG2 was horribly executed, you clearly didn't play.... either. Or Sacrifice. Or Savage 2. Or Monday Night Combat.

Or maybe I did. But since you don't know either was it's nice to know you'll default to being a silly goose.

GG2 wasn't horribly executed, it just had a ridiculously steep learning curve, steeper then any game I've ever played. And I'm TERRIBLE at it, still. Brutal Legend was a good game but pretty dull overall gameplay wise.

edit: why do I always hit semicolons when I want an apostrophe?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Or maybe I did. But since you don't know either was it's nice to know you'll default to being a silly goose.

GG2 wasn't horribly executed, it just had a ridiculously steep learning curve, steeper then any game I've ever played. And I'm TERRIBLE at it, still. Brutal Legend was a good game but pretty dull overall gameplay wise.

edit: why do I always hit semicolons when I want an apostrophe?

GG2's maps, and how you navigate them, are horrid. Every last one of them is a string of tight corridors, which you navigate by doing an anime-ninja-dash, drifting across corners, and praying really really hard nobody is standing there to interrupt you. In BL you can fly, and the battlefields are wide and open.

By the time Sol Badguy gets done killing an Amored Unit by doing an air infinite combo for about five minutes, the player can buff his army with spells, and then stack that buff on top of a Double Team attack. In BL, you can interact with your army for more power. In GG2, your armies are limited to trading hits with each other eternally, straight out of Dynasty Warriors.

Another GG game like this is coming, and I would pay full price if Daisuke sticks to his guns, but it needs work. Badly. Something needs to happen with the ratio of power between units and hero units, and the map navigation.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Personally I loved the maps. The design overall was just breathtaking. The speed running around them SUCKS. Sucks HARD but that's because I suck at it.

You're simplifying the army units in GG a little too much. The relationship they have with each other is crazy complex and you can carry them around to put them where you want them and direct them where to go with your Organ. It would have been nice if you could have them do special attacks or what have you but that's what your character was for. Your army CAN'T win for you just like you can't win without the army. In BL, your army needs to win; you just help them do it.

Neither one is bad, just different. I do think BL is by far the more user friendly tho.

Also, HOLY CRAP ANOTHER GG GAME? Where's the news on that??

Magic Pink on