As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ze English have Starfox DS, hurrah!

Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
I heard it was out today, thought 'fuck it' and bought it on a whim while in town without knowing anything about it, aside from it got some prasie over on these forums. I'm about halfway through the underwater level and I'v got to say this game is pretty damn sweet, after an hour or so I was pulling off some great piloting since the control system is very easy to pick up and damn fun to try, I love the bomb-dropping idea and the fact that you only need one button and a stylus to play.

Any other brits pick this up today? Your opinions? I really like the way you scramble your fighters in an Advance Wars fashion and I can see there is a lot of potential for perfecting your tactics and playing style in terms of what to do in the map screens and then testing your piloting skills in battle. Top game so far. What's the general concensus of the game around these parts?

tf2_sig.png
Hotlead Junkie on

• Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm not a brit, but don't listen to mediocre reviews. The game's fresh take on the series blends well with the old "all-range mode" gameplay from SF64. As a huge fan of the original Starfox and Starfox 64, the game was a very satisfying experience on the DS.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I'm not a brit, but don't listen to mediocre reviews. The game's fresh take on the series blends well with the old "all-range mode" gameplay from SF64. As a huge fan of the original Starfox and Starfox 64, the game was a very satisfying experience on the DS.

I don't read reviews before I buy games anyway, I hate knowing what I'm 'supposed' to like about it. I'm not a fan of the older Starfox games as I never played them much but I'm really liking this game.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Okay, I just beat the game for the first time. I'm assuming it gets tougher? I hardly ever died. Am I right to assume the game gets a lot touher on multiple playthroughs?

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Okay, I just beat the game for the first time. I'm assuming it gets tougher? I hardly ever died. Am I right to assume the game gets a lot touher on multiple playthroughs?

For me the only points of difficulty were a couple of the bosses. The Solar boss took me a while because I didn't understand the instructions at first, and the final boss has various forms on different playthroughs, some of which are tricky.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I'm assuming the challenge is attaining high scores to get unlockables then?

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If by "unlockables" you mean the 9 different endings, then yes.

Also: Wifi Dogfighting FTW!

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    WallyWally Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Multiplayer is fun, apart from the muppets that dropout.

Wally on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I bet there were a fuckton of jokes relating to hitting the weakspot of the giant enemy crab for massive damage when this game first came out.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    smallmouthsmallmouth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

One of Falco's story lines is pretty tough. The rest I've played are fairly easy.

smallmouth on
    PSN: smh17; Wii code: 0022 6537 1791 3136, Zune: smh17
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I loather controlling the ship with a stylus. Loathe it.

Worst game I ever bought for my DS.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Great game if you ask me. I love the controls.

Multiplayer online is really intense. Or it was for me. :D

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    So is there a point to trying to attain high scores? Does this unlock the multiple pathways or is it just for bragging rights?

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The first game you play, you can only choose one story line. Beat the game and you get the "key of destiny" and you can choose different paths.

As for High scores...It's just Bragging rights, AFAIK.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I was surprised to find out this only just came out. I buy all of my DS games from America, so I got this months ago.

I honestly don't see a reason to wait until stuff gets released here if you can order it off of the internet WAY earlier, it's cheaper even with shipping, and you definitely won't get hit for import tax.

Then again, some people like to buy from brick and mortar stores, as I understand it.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've gotten 5 or so of the 9 endings, and want to go back and get the rest. Any one playthrough doesn't take all that long, which is actually rather nice, since there are enough other missions to keep it going. It's my first Star Fox, but I definitely enjoyed it a lot and would definitely rate it very highly. Not the very best game on the DS, but certainly in the top tier.

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I rented this game and played a bit, and now I ordered it... should be getting to me in two weeks. REALLY loved the stylus controls, I was quickly flying without any trouble.

I did have a retarded problem... In the first mission, the turns always run out before I kill everything and then I lose? What am I doing wrong?

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I rented this game and played a bit, and now I ordered it... should be getting to me in two weeks. REALLY loved the stylus controls, I was quickly flying without any trouble.

I did have a retarded problem... In the first mission, the turns always run out before I kill everything and then I lose? What am I doing wrong?

You only need to kill the enemies that carry cores, the carriers are the ones shown on the screen a couple of seconds before the battle starts. When you collect all the cores the battle ends.

During the battle, gain time by-

-Going through rings and collecting time bonuses. It helps to spin while travelling through a ring

-Spin whilst being shot at, any laser deflected earns you a time bonus

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yet another game on the ever growing DS wishlist.

I have not the time for all the awesome!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

You only need to kill the enemies that carry cores, the carriers are the ones shown on the screen a couple of seconds before the battle starts. When you collect all the cores the battle ends.

-Going through rings and collecting time bonuses. It helps to spin while travelling through a ring

Also if you do decide to clear out all the enemies you are awarded with a missile. Saves you a lot of turns.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    DekuStick wrote:

Also if you do decide to clear out all the enemies you are awarded with a missile. Saves you a lot of turns.

You get time bonuses at the end of every battle for every enemy 'hit' (killed) too. I think I'm going to try and beat the missions without using bombs and getting perfects every time, the game is hella fun but I'd like some sort of challenge in battle.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png