Options

Bad Company 2: BC2 night every Thursday

• Options
    VeitsevVeitsev Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Huey is extremely easy to control. Its missiles are great and reload quickly and its guns are much better than the Blackhawk. The Huey controls like silk. I have a hard time figuring out how even the worst Blackhawk/Hind/Apache/etc pilots from vanilla BFBC2 could crash this.

The RPG-7 seems like it fires its projectile faster as well. Feels more like a CG and less like a RPG.

Veitsev on
    nibblersig-1.jpg
    Steam 3DS: 1160-9885-2554
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Vietnam is finally live on the server. Enjoy folks.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I bought this, but it's not showing up on Steam? How does this work?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I need to buy this today. I know it was talked about before but I just want to make sure, I can buy this off Steam even though I have a retail copy, correct? I basically just need the key it gives me?

Oh, and when you play the in-game music can everyone in the vicinity hear it, too, just like in the original Battlefield: Vietnam? I loved that feature.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    I need to buy this today. I know it was talked about before but I just want to make sure, I can buy this off Steam even though I have a retail copy, correct? I basically just need the key it gives me?

Oh, and when you play the in-game music can everyone in the vicinity hear it, too, just like in the original Battlefield: Vietnam? I loved that feature.

Nope, you can't. Until a few days ago you could according to EA/Dice but they finally clarified things. You can mix and match pretty much anything except non-Steam base BC2 and Steam Vietnam.

Here's the steam forum post.

Column on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Column wrote: »

Nope, you can't. Until a few days ago you could according to EA/Dice but they finally clarified things. You can mix and match pretty much anything except non-Steam base BC2 and Steam Vietnam.

Ah good, thanks for clarifying that. Is there any specific store that's best? I'd go to EA Store but... EA Store. :P

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Column wrote: »

Ah good, thanks for clarifying that. Is there any specific store that's best? I'd go to EA Store but... EA Store. :P

Pretty much where you can get it the cheapest from what I've seen. I went ea store due to buying bc2 and another game as part of their buy two get half off deal a week or so back to double dip on pc and 360.

Column on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Olivaw discovered we can't say shenanigans.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The sound the flamethrower makes is absolutely terrifying to me

And it's incredibly disturbing to realize that's probably what the real ones sounded like

Fuckin' a, Dice. You know how to design some sound

Also the game is pretty good I guess. Kind of disappointing that there's no new levelup system and not a ton of new weapons, but the couple maps I've seen seem alright, and the weapons are neat

It's a bit disconcerting to me, the whole "let's make a video game about Vietnam" thing, though

But that's just me. I don't know that that particular war is ever going to lose it's stigma

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Also you can totally pump up the jams when you're in a vehicle, and everyone around can totally hear it

I really don't know how much we actually did that in Vietnam, but hey. Ride of the Valkyries and whatnot

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    215499399_pfUFC-L-2.jpg

tofu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Tycho's face in the third panel is about where I'm at, playing this game

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Is it definitely worth picking up for 15 dollars? Battlefield: Vietnam was my favorite in the series, and if this even has an ounce of what made that one great I'll gladly buy it right now.

I'd still like to know if when I play Ride of the Valkyries in my Huey, will those poor bastards on the ground hear it as I rain death upon them?

Dashui on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Anyone gonna get on soon? I'm on a diff. server but in vent.

Yall on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Is it definitely worth picking up for 15 dollars? Battlefield: Vietnam was my favorite in the series, and if this even has an ounce of what made that one great I'll gladly buy it right now.

I'd still like to know if when I play Ride of the Valkyries in my Huey, will those poor bastards on the ground hear it as I rain death upon them?

I'd say it's easily worth $15. I'm probably going to pick it up on my 360 as well when it drops on the 21st to play it with people on that. Like Olivaw said the sound is fantastic, just as good as vanilla BC2. The atmosphere of I can die every damn second in the jungle is incredibly well done even with spotting being there. It almost always feels like someone will come out of nowhere and kill you or vice versa.

One thing I'm liking is Recon actually seems useful even if they're just hill humping, at least for now, that may change when more "pubbies" get it the 21st who knows. With no motion mines you aren't losing much if you have Engineers who can take out tanks while Recon snipes from BFE. Let alone if they are actually spotting to help you move up through hills/jungle. Likewise when playing Recon just mortaring, sniping, and spotting everything while you cover people taking objectives finally feels useful. I don't feel like I HAVE to be in there with a shotgun, Thompson, whatever chucking motion mines or I'm useless . Then you still have the 870, Thompson, Garand, and the M14's scope is basically an ACOG, to get close, blow up tanks, cap objectives etc.

There isn't much I'd say negative about my three to four hours of playtime so far. The maps feel somewhat smaller than the average Conquest maps from vanilla BC2. I'd like to see more of the map opened up from the Rush versions so you can circle around a bit better, but that seems like something that would vary from person to person, and definitely map to map. Some maps feel much more open than others. Choke points on the smaller maps, while fun and atmospheric as shit to have a Mexican standoff in, get annoying when the victor is basically the team that managed to cap the middle objective of the three first. It may not even be that bad come the 21st when more people are playing, as right now it's been a lot of clan rape/group rape against pubs on some of the servers so my opinion might be off there at the moment.

Helicopters as others have said are strong, and I'm curious to see how bad Vietnam gets on console given how annoying I've found 'copters to be in vanilla there. Like night and day playing console versus PC when it comes to taking them down.

Easily a great game though, in the servers people have had nothing but positive things to say so far as well. Seems like everyone is really getting into it and I hope it stays that way.

Column on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lets play this game. I need to kill some mans.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    just tried some vietnam. succinctly:
    fun game is fun

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Game is pretty fun.

That flurry of grenades into the trench while I was getting revived was pretty funny.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    oh quick question
    so vietnam unlocked today, i plugged in my key, yada yada

when the hell did I actually download vietnam?! I don't remember steam every downloading a huge bad company 2 add on

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    oh quick question
    so vietnam unlocked today, i plugged in my key, yada yada

when the hell did I actually download vietnam?! I don't remember steam every downloading a huge bad company 2 add on

The last patch actually included Vietnam. When it was officially released, all you had to do was enter your key to access it.

Dashui on
  • Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Do people have any suggestions for pub servers? I'd play with you guys, but I've only put a few hours in - plus I'm uk so the time difference means your server will be empty if I want a quick game.

Perdurabo on
  • Options
    DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    This is awesome. I want Apocalypse Now maps.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    While I'm behind you guys a step, I just bought BC2 and am installing it now, I'll get use to that then probably make the leap to Vietnam.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I am loving the shit out of vietnam. They noticably increased weapon damage, which I have been a vocal proponent of them doing since 42'. The lack of scopes make the game faster paced and more fun. This could be my go to FPS game for a long... long while.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This game is the tits.

The flamethrower and the M40 are the best things ever.

<3 DICE

Also hit detection is pretty much perfect.

Warcry on
  • Options
    EricsErics Charming to the last Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I am very happy to see it is BC2 season again. You can be sure to be seeing me on the PA server.

I am kind of sad it isn't called the Angry Dome anymore though, no lies.

Erics on
    fabulousFantastic.png
    Twitter | Steam | Twitch.tv ~♪
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hopefully all this new hubub will remind people BC2 should be on some GOTY lists

tofu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    tofu wrote: »
    Hopefully all this new hubub will remind people BC2 should be on some GOTY lists

Dude I haven't play bad company before, I hopped into a full Conquest game...my ears and eyes had orgasms...why didn't I buy this game sooner!?

But....I got kicked because my PB client was out of date or something...how do I fix that?

Oh also...game is played with huge black borders because my desktop resolution is higher....how can I fix that? Or do I have to live with it unless I up the res?

Oh..and advanced graphic options -- where are they?

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Aumni wrote: »
    tofu wrote: »

Dude I haven't play bad company before, I hopped into a full Conquest game...my ears and eyes had orgasms...why didn't I buy this game sooner!?

But....I got kicked because my PB client was out of date or something...how do I fix that?

Oh also...game is played with huge black borders because my desktop resolution is higher....how can I fix that? Or do I have to live with it unless I up the res?

Oh..and advanced graphic options -- where are they?

In the vanilla start up screen, there should be an options tab with advanced settings.

Just go to the punkbuster website and reinstall punkbuster.

rRootagea on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Thanks!

umm...totp...guns go boom?

Aumni on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    love the shitbags on the PA just now in the Huey exploiting the Engineer bug to repair the Huey in flight :^:

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    ok, I got Punkbuster updated played for about 25 minutes then got kicked because it couldn't update.

Any settings I need to be aware of with this shit? Firewall is already open.

Aumni on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    love the shitbags on the PA just now in the Huey exploiting the Engineer bug to repair the Huey in flight :^:

I don't think it's a bug to repair a helicopter in flight.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    They do indeed

From one of my games today.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I don't think it's a bug to repair a helicopter in flight.

you're wrong!

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Game looks awesome.

<3 the sound of getting flamethrown

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    TheExAm wrote: »
    They do indeed

From one of my games today.

That's almost as shameful a post as Endaro posting a TF2 scoreboard screenshot where he was playing against bots and asked "man, are Germans really this bad at TF2?"

Almost.

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Okay then, what would you prefer to see? Those pilots weren't especially good, I know. It was luck of the draw, round-wise. I just happened to record bits of that round on a whim, and capped the scoreboard. If I get the urge to endure horrible FPS loss again any time soon, I'll record some better shots.

Quality of footage aside, there's really no reason to be such an asshole about it.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ya know, I just don't think I can get back into this game, even with this new Vietnam expansion. Don't get me wrong, I spent massive amounts of time playing it when it first came out, but recently newer online games like MoH and Monday Night Combat have, frankly, had massively better aiming. Seriously, the analogue stick aiming for BC2 feels stiff and clunky by comparison. The key difference is the deadzone. In BC2, I'll try and move the stick a little bit in the center for fine tuning my aim, and it just doesn't happen. There's no response, because there's a huge friggin dead zone. Playing MoH and MNC, there's really good outer zone control for turning around and doing 180s, but you can move the stick in minute motions in the center for very very precise aiming, which is nice when you're trying for longer range shots. It's just hard to go back when BC2's control feels like aiming a sack of bricks.

And turning up the sensitivity doesn't help either, the dead zone remains.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    TheExAm wrote: »
    Okay then, what would you prefer to see?

A compilation of knife/paddle/impact wrench kills on Winnie the Pooh.

Go!

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
This discussion has been closed.