Options

Weight training thread [WEIGHT TRAINING THREAD] thread

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's no prowler but man, pushing an almost 40 pound stroller/baby combination for a mile up and down some hills is still kind of a workout.

Peen on
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    the wook wrote: »
    Creatine science bomb

<3

Jyardana on
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That creatine bit deserves to be in the OP.

Love when you post Wook, you always have facts backing up everything in detail, good stuff.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hoz wrote: »
    What's a good supplement for running?

If the answer is cocaine then I'm set.

EPO, blood transfusions and hypoxic tents.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Love when you post Wook, you always have facts backing up everything in detail, good stuff.

I prefer BroScience™, personally. All the confidence, none of the work.

So my flight to Pakistan (well, to JFK International, technically) is Monday at 7:10am. I'll be over there for almost exactly one month, not including the 30 hr flight (ugh). I guess I should start trying to figure out what my bodyweight program should be, to try and preserve as much of this (little bit of) mass I've managed to put on as possible. I guess it makes sense to try and hit the same muscle groups that my regular program days do. How's this for starters:

Monday (Bench / Chest & Triceps Day):
    3 sets of pushups to failure
    3 sets of dips (between two chairs) to failure

Wednesday (Deadlift / Back & Biceps Day):
    3 sets of pullups
    3 sets of chinups
    (I can't think of any good bodyweight stuff for the erector spinae)

Friday (Squat & Press / Legs & Shoulders Day):
    3 sets of bodyweight squats to failure (or maybe I can get one or two of my little cousins on my shoulders)
    3 sets of front and then lateral raises

I'm just kind of pissing into the breeze with some of these, I know. My real hope is that I can find a decent gym over there. I mean, a month isn't exactly a huge setback, but I drank a lot of fuggin' milk to get to 207 lbs., and any kind of setback really sucks. :\

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    throw in some sort of burpee on deadlift day perhaps?

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hoz wrote: »
    What's a good supplement for running?

If the answer is cocaine then I'm set.

tie a rope to yourself and the other end to a car and let the driver set the pace for you

Franko on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am still skeptical of creatine. Everyone in weightlifting swears that it works anecdotally and says there are studies supporting it. Everyone in biochemistry and now in medicine says the studies are very inconclusive. I can't find much myself. Does anyone have some good ones (I'm looking for meta-analyses here, not single studies)?

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    psyck0 wrote: »
    I am still skeptical of creatine. Everyone in weightlifting swears that it works anecdotally and says there are studies supporting it. Everyone in biochemistry and now in medicine says the studies are very inconclusive. I can't find much myself. Does anyone have some good ones (I'm looking for meta-analyses here, not single studies)?

METHODS: A search of MEDLINE and SPORTDiscus using the phrase "creatine supplementation" revealed 96 English-language, peer-reviewed papers (100 studies), which included randomized group formation, a placebo control, and human subjects who were blinded to treatments. ES was calculated for each body composition and performance variable.

RESULTS: Small, but significant (ES > 0, p < or = .05) ES were reported for BC (n=163, mean +/- SE=0.17 +/- 0.03), ATP-PCr (n=17, 0.24 +/- 0.02), G (n=135, 0.19 +/- 0.05), and O (n=69, 0.20 +/- 0.07). ES was greater for change in BC following a loading-only CS regimen (0.26 +/- 0.03, p=.0003) compared to a maintenance regimen (0.04 +/- 0.05), for repetitive-bout (0.25 +/- 0.03,p=.028) compared to single-bout (0.18 +/- 0.02) exercise, and for upper-body exercise (0.42 +/- 0.07, p<.0001) compared to lower (0.21 +/- 0.02) and total body (0.13 +/- 0.04) exercise. ES for laboratory-based tasks (e.g., isometric/isotonic/isokinetic exercise, 0.25 +/- 0.02) were greater (p=.014) than those observed for field-based tasks (e.g., running, swimming, 0.14 +/- 0.04). There were no differences in BC or performance ES between males and females or between trained and untrained subjects.

CONCLUSION: ES was greater for changes in lean body mass following short-term CS, repetitive-bout laboratory-based exercise tasks < or = 30 s (e.g., isometric, isokinetic, and isotonic resistance exercise), and upper-body exercise. CS does not appear to be effective in improving running and swimming performance. There is no evidence in the literature of an effect of gender or training status on ES following CS.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12945830

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    droppin some science in this page

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    FACT: All Science Guys™ bench 2.5x bodyweight.
    And this guy benches 3x.

bill-nye.jpg

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    See, this is the reason that you can't go past the BIGMAN thread. Just can't. Simple, to the point and fully explained.

Wook, Kakoda - many thanks. I think I'll just keep lifting 3 days, HIIT 3 days and eating clean.

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hamurabi wrote: »

I prefer BroScience™, personally. All the confidence, none of the work.

So my flight to Pakistan (well, to JFK International, technically) is Monday at 7:10am. I'll be over there for almost exactly one month, not including the 30 hr flight (ugh). I guess I should start trying to figure out what my bodyweight program should be, to try and preserve as much of this (little bit of) mass I've managed to put on as possible. I guess it makes sense to try and hit the same muscle groups that my regular program days do. How's this for starters:

Monday (Bench / Chest & Triceps Day):
    3 sets of pushups to failure
    3 sets of dips (between two chairs) to failure

Wednesday (Deadlift / Back & Biceps Day):
    3 sets of pullups
    3 sets of chinups
    (I can't think of any good bodyweight stuff for the erector spinae)

Friday (Squat & Press / Legs & Shoulders Day):
    3 sets of bodyweight squats to failure (or maybe I can get one or two of my little cousins on my shoulders)
    3 sets of front and then lateral raises

I'm just kind of pissing into the breeze with some of these, I know. My real hope is that I can find a decent gym over there. I mean, a month isn't exactly a huge setback, but I drank a lot of fuggin' milk to get to 207 lbs., and any kind of setback really sucks. :\

Most people can't do a free-standing glute-ham raise, but you can try negatives. Eg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5hdb9zVt8M

big l on
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011

"Oh, okay, so he's doing negatives or something? Some weird kind of... oh. Oh no. No. NO. NO NO NO. STOP. STOP FOR THE LOVE OF GOD."

In other news, broke 100lbs on the squat today. Not impressive in any way, but feels like a personal achievment - the whole 'Now I'm up to the bigger looking plates!' and 'Triple digits, baby!'

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I loved the creatine knowledge bomb that happened back there.

anyhoo, here is my progress pic for the week of Feb 18. Just started back after a 2 month break, down to 162lbs (with my goal still being 180-185). I am trying to get better at documenting this stuff.
    mKrK9.jpg

Scudo on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

"Oh, okay, so he's doing negatives or something? Some weird kind of... oh. Oh no. No. NO. NO NO NO. STOP. STOP FOR THE LOVE OF GOD."

In other news, broke 100lbs on the squat today. Not impressive in any way, but feels like a personal achievment - the whole 'Now I'm up to the bigger looking plates!' and 'Triple digits, baby!'

Haha that was unexpected. I thought the thing broke for a second.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I bet that guy can pound the shit out of the ladies

the wook on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    the wook wrote: »

I bet that guy can pound the shit out of the ladies

I bet if he keeps doing that he'll be unable to walk in about 5 years...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I walk in to a gym on Feb. 7th and join it with my fiance. The manager is awesome and offers us joint discounted personal training sessions because we're doing this to change our lives and look great for the wedding/honeymoon (Oct. 9th). Why do we need personal training? Well, I weigh 300 and am calculated to be at about 38% body fat. I never went to a gym, never took weight training in middle or high school, and basically barely know how to work machines or how to lift free weights at all.

We do a fitness assessment and come up with a joint workout with our trainer that really pushes me to my limits, but I feel great whenever I come out of the gym. My question has to do with protein powders and other supplements, as I'm completely new to all of these.

I go to GNC and talk to a guy there, who takes me back to the GNC-branded powders, all at about $60 for 17 servings. Is the GNC stuff really all its cracked up to be, or are there other brands out there that have the same bang for their buck but are more cost-effective? Are there any other supplements I should try out or use in these early days?

Thanks for the help guys, I always passed by this thread thinking "one day i'll do that" but never took it upon myself to actually go out and do something about it, and now that I am I feel great. Sore, but great.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    So I walk in to a gym on Feb. 7th and join it with my fiance. The manager is awesome and offers us joint discounted personal training sessions because we're doing this to change our lives and look great for the wedding/honeymoon (Oct. 9th). Why do we need personal training? Well, I weigh 300 and am calculated to be at about 38% body fat. I never went to a gym, never took weight training in middle or high school, and basically barely know how to work machines or how to lift free weights at all.

We do a fitness assessment and come up with a joint workout with our trainer that really pushes me to my limits, but I feel great whenever I come out of the gym. My question has to do with protein powders and other supplements, as I'm completely new to all of these.

I go to GNC and talk to a guy there, who takes me back to the GNC-branded powders, all at about $60 for 17 servings. Is the GNC stuff really all its cracked up to be, or are there other brands out there that have the same bang for their buck but are more cost-effective? Are there any other supplements I should try out or use in these early days?

Thanks for the help guys, I always passed by this thread thinking "one day i'll do that" but never took it upon myself to actually go out and do something about it, and now that I am I feel great. Sore, but great.

My suggestion is if you're looking to lose weight, don't start with any protein powders, shakes or anything else like that. Get your diet under control first and figure out how to eat cleanly and healthy first. Once you've got a good eating routine going, then look at whether or not you need to add in protein shakes and such.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My suggestion is if you're looking to lose weight, don't start with any protein powders, shakes or anything else like that. Get your diet under control first and figure out how to eat cleanly and healthy first. Once you've got a good eating routine going, then look at whether or not you need to add in protein shakes and such.

Strongly seconding this. Not everyone in this thread wants to lose weight--many want to gain it--at 300 with 38% body fat, that shouldn't be your goal.

Focus on eating healthy clean foods (no take-away, no chains like olive garden--cook your own food for awhile!) and do your hard work outs.

Remember, too, that if you burn 300 calories exercising in an hour, you haven't earned 300 calories of food (nor a 600 calorie shake!) because your body "at rest" burns calories. I don't know what you'd burn at your weight (I burn about 70 I think per hour).

Good luck!

streever on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also with that much weight you don't need to supplement with anything, your body's got calories to burn for days. Just get your protein through your diet, you'll get stronger and slim down if you stick with it.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Biggest goddamned derp moment the other day. Walk in, the single solitary Squat Rack was free. Woo!
    But the last guy to use it is a BIGMAN and left 360lbs on it. 8x45lb plates, 4 per side. I sigh and wish ill upon those who don't rack their weights and go to take them off.

I'm sure you know where this is going.

I take off one, two, three plates.... all on one side. Take off the fourth and gravity takes over. The close end of the bar whips past my ear as the other side falls over, creating an echoing THUD as it hits the ground. All eyes on me.

I silently curse myself, lift up the bar onto the rack and pick up the remaining plates. Geese need to rack their goddamned weights.

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    duuuude

I MAY take off 2 plates from one side, but only if they are light, never two 22 pound or above plates off the same side

because it seems like the right thing to do

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    This is what I get for lifting half an hour after I wake up.

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I did that with my first weight set when I was in middle school. It was one of those sweet sand filled plate style things and the bar was essentially a bar from the home depot. I think I had 25 lbs on both sides and when I took the 25 lbs from one side off the bar swung up and whaled me in the chin. I've been cautious ever since.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Four 45's to a side is 405 lbs; (4 x 45) + (4 x 45) + 45 lbs. for the bar = 405 lbs. Just sayin'. 3 45's to a side (which in shorthand is just referred to as "three plates") is 315 lbs and two plates is 225 lbs.

Modern bars are built long enough to counteract disparate loads, to some degree. I've seen them to hold up just fine with 2x 45's on one side and nothing on the other, so I would consider that to be the most you should take off from one side without taking it off from the other.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    JAKJAK Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My gym is stupid like that. There's a bench that has one of those really thin bars, and there is always 20kg on each side. One time the gym was crowded and I couldn't get to the proper bench with an actual bar, so I thought I'd warm up with the thin bar while I wait.

So I took one plate off.

Catapult.

If there was somebody using the machine next to it I could have killed him.

JAK on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    InvincibleInvincible Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Okay guys, so I'm remaking my lifting routine and doing a reset. This is what I've got so far:

A Day.
    Cleans
    Deadlift
    Press
    Row
    Rear Delt (Like a fly but the opposite way)
    Preacher Curls
    Front Squat

B Day.
    Back Squat
    Bench
    Leg Press
    Back Extension
    Dips
    Pull Ups

Invincible on
    3DS Friend Code: 2921-9194-1579

Let's make record. It will look like:
    Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    or i guess you could have a general knowledge of leverage and the angle of the dangle

good news everybody (for fatties) wal-greens has movie candy on sale for 69 cents

so that means a box of dots is fucking cheap

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    A box of dots should be fucking cheap.

The cardboard probably costs more to make than the fucking candy

Jyardana on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I was at the gym getting back into my deadlift routine and started talking to a guy in between sets. He used to wrestle for Iowa State and showed me a few variations they used to do on the big lifts.

Basically adding a sprawl into a deadlift or power clean. Set up for lift like regular, then kick out into a full sprawl, pop back in and do the lift. Then repeat.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    so i figure if i start working out again i should be in the clear so long as i take a shower and put a fresh gauze pad on my incision after exercise

that means that it's early morning or nothing, yeah buddy.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I was at the gym getting back into my deadlift routine and started talking to a guy in between sets. He used to wrestle for Iowa State and showed me a few variations they used to do on the big lifts.

Basically adding a sprawl into a deadlift or power clean. Set up for lift like regular, then kick out into a full sprawl, pop back in and do the lift. Then repeat.

...Why?

And yeah, I work at a Walgreens. We have all kinds of tacky candy on sale all the time. If I were willing to cram in calories via candy, I'd probably jump on 'em.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Here is chapter 2 of my story on my achilles pain. Shit got so bad over the weekend that I could barely walk. So I booked in for an appointment with the same guy who fixed my hip. He gave it a quick examination and then pinched down hard on the back of my ankle with his fingers.

"that where it hurts?"

"YES THAT'S WHERE IT FUCKING HURTS OH GOD"

"ah, okay yep I know what this is"

Then he does some digging on the outside top of my calf and kneading the muscle about.

"how's that?"

At this point he's pinching my ankle again, harder. Couldn't feel a thing. I had to actually do the pinching thing myself to make sure he wasn't taking the piss. Nothing. Pain gone.

I'm convinced he is some kind of sports sorcerer. Fucking incredible

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I could use a sports sorcerer sometimes.

Oh hey, my big race is this weekend. So you fuckers should watch it on ESPN.

http://www.usatf.org/events/2011/USAIndoorTFChampionships/

Jyardana on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't have ESPN. Do you know if it's being played on any non-cable new zealand channels?

But no seriously, I am looking forward to seeing this on youtube at least

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Here is chapter 2 of my story on my achilles pain. Shit got so bad over the weekend that I could barely walk. So I booked in for an appointment with the same guy who fixed my hip. He gave it a quick examination and then pinched down hard on the back of my ankle with his fingers.

"that where it hurts?"

"YES THAT'S WHERE IT FUCKING HURTS OH GOD"

"ah, okay yep I know what this is"

Then he does some digging on the outside top of my calf and kneading the muscle about.

"how's that?"

At this point he's pinching my ankle again, harder. Couldn't feel a thing. I had to actually do the pinching thing myself to make sure he wasn't taking the piss. Nothing. Pain gone.

I'm convinced he is some kind of sports sorcerer. Fucking incredible

He'll probably collect your firstborn

then raise him as an adonis

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    J, are you Joshua Slamka, then?

Hamurabi on
This discussion has been closed.