As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New To Wii

oddmentoddment Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
Okay, so I promised myself I wasn't going to buy a Wii yet, as well as promising my bf (I'm low on funds, BUT just got me a new job and start Monday, so will soon have more money, yay), but I was in town today and there in the window of GAME was a huge sign saying 'HURRY! Wii's back in stock!'

So I find myself drawn to the store, and purchasing one, along with WarioWare. Needless to say I got it home and fell in love. I am now among those of you known as the Wii60-iers... tis the future I tells thee!

Anywho, I was going to search for a thread like this, but the search feature is busted on my end for some reason, so I thought I'd start a new topic, and if there is one avaliable, then do feel free to link it and lock this one.

I basically want to know whats good to get now. I'm torn between Zelda (don't hate me, but I've never been a huge fan, though that may be cos I've not given it a fair try... only a few hours on Ocarina) and Red Steel (which I hear isn't really that good). By votes and reasonings, which one do you guys think I should get? If both, which one now, which one later?

Also, is Wii Play worth getting, or am I best paying a fiver less for just a remote?

And lastly... whats on the horizon games and Wii content wise? What should I be looking out for and why? (I'm definatley getting Sonic, but only cos my bf is a massive Sonic fanboy, lol)

Anyway, thanks for any help you give, or any link to the relavant topic! I do apologise if I've totally missed a blatant topic somewhere, lol.

PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
oddment84.png
*Thanks Thanatos!
oddment on

• Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wait for Wii Play for that extra remote. The extra games just might be worth the five bucks. Plus, five bucks.

You're going to get a unanimous decision to get Twilight Princess and not get Red Steel. Srsly.

The virtual console, if you have any sort of pulse at all, is worth your time to browse and pick up a few titles you may have played or never got a chance to but heard was awesome.

Mario Kart 64
    Mario 64
    Castlevania 4
    Soldier Blade (shmuppy!)
    Contra 3
    Zelda: Link to the Past (..best game on VC)

Upcoming awesomeness for Wii:
    More VC games!
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    Mario Galaxy

...that's what I'm looking out for.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    If you're looking for an FPS game, Call of Duty 3 is much much much better than Red Steel, though be careful: it lacks the multiplayer options of Red Steel.

I highly recommend Call of Duty 3, as I think it is an excellent example of how to do an FPS on the Wii.

That said, apparently everyone loves Twilight Princess (Ive only put like an hour into it, so Im not a reliable source), and of course Wii Sports.

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
    Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
    wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    wombat wrote:
    If you're looking for an FPS game, Call of Duty 3 is much much much better than Red Steel, though be careful: it lacks the multiplayer options of Red Steel.

I highly recommend Call of Duty 3, as I think it is an excellent example of how to do an FPS on the Wii.

That said, apparently everyone loves Twilight Princess (Ive only put like an hour into it, so Im not a reliable source), and of course Wii Sports.

We have COD3 for the 360. I guess I should try and steer clear of FPS games on the Wii for now, seeing as how the 360 has an abundance of great ones.

TP may be my next game... but it needs more selling! Why is it so good?

What VC games are coming out in the near future?

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    4rch3nemy wrote:
    You're going to get a unanimous decision to get Twilight Princess and not get Red Steel. Srsly.

I'm not going to say get Red Steel, since I haven't played it. But, if you weren't already a zelda fan, you probably want to wait on TP. So far, it's not really any better or worse than any other zelda to me.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think this is a perfectly fine topic, there was one for the PS3 just a bit ago. That said:

-I really like Zelda. But you may not, and that's OK. Do you like other action/adventure games? If so, this one's probably in the bag. If not, don't worry about it.

-If you're interested in Red Steel, I recommend a rental; it seems awfully hit-or-miss. I hear Elebits (puzzle/shooter) is good, and controls well. Excite Truck (racer) also seems good, though again not universally liked. I can wholeheartedly recommend Trauma Center (action/puzzle surgery game), though, especially if you never played the DS version.

-Wii Play is apparently extremely short-lived fun, but it is fun. Your call if that's worth an extra fiver.

-This year, I'm looking forward to Metroid Prime 3 (adventure game, with shooter trappings), No More Heroes (sure-to-be-bizarre action game), and Super Mario Galaxy (action/platformer in space). On the Virtual Console, I'm excited for Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger (though the last hasn't been rated by ESRB yet).

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    YesNoMu wrote:
    I think this is a perfectly fine topic, there was one for the PS3 just a bit ago. That said:

-I really like Zelda. But you may not, and that's OK. Do you like other action/adventure games? If so, this one's probably in the bag. If not, don't worry about it.

-If you're interested in Red Steel, I recommend a rental; it seems awfully hit-or-miss. I hear Elebits (puzzle/shooter) is good, and controls well. Excite Truck (racer) also seems good, though again not universally liked. I can wholeheartedly recommend Trauma Center (action/puzzle surgery game), though, especially if you never played the DS version.

-Wii Play is apparently extremely short-lived fun, but it is fun. Your call if that's worth an extra fiver.

-This year, I'm looking forward to Metroid Prime 3 (adventure game, with shooter trappings), No More Heroes (sure-to-be-bizarre action game), and Super Mario Galaxy (action/platformer in space). On the Virtual Console, I'm excited for Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger (though the last hasn't been rated by ESRB yet).

Awesome reply. Hehe. Chrono Trigger eh? Sounds interesting!

I am a fan of action/adventure games, and Zelda is sounding more and more appealing... I'd just like to know more about it from you guys perspective.

Oh... also, something I didn't ask earlier... how quickly am I likely to run out of internal memory? Will any SD card work with the Wii, or shud I be going with the 'official' SanDisk one? Will 1GB be enough if I wanted to download a couple of VC games? And if I have a GC controller, will I really need a VC Pad? Or do most VC games work with the remote anyway?

Have to add aswell, I thought the Weather and News channels sounded a bit odd for a console to have when I first heard about em, but they're actually really cool and useful!

Oh, one last thing... I've been getting messages and stuff thru, with the blue light flashing when the consoles not even on (gotta love that), but will there be other stuff sent thru to u now and again, as originally promised? Will there ever be Wii game demo's to get via WiiConnect24?

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well there's already the test version/demo of the internet channel available, if that counts.

Controllers for VC games:
    I read on Nintendo's site that NES games can use the wiimote or classic controller, SNES and N64 games need a classic controller or gamecube controller. Lemme dig up the chart I saw.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    oddment wrote:
    YesNoMu wrote:

I am a fan of action/adventure games, and Zelda is sounding more and more appealing... I'd just like to know more about it from you guys perspective.

Oh... also, something I didn't ask earlier... how quickly am I likely to run out of internal memory? Will any SD card work with the Wii, or shud I be going with the 'official' SanDisk one? Will 1GB be enough if I wanted to download a couple of VC games? And if I have a GC controller, will I really need a VC Pad? Or do most VC games work with the remote anyway?

Have to add aswell, I thought the Weather and News channels sounded a bit odd for a console to have when I first heard about em, but they're actually really cool and useful!

Oh, one last thing... I've been getting messages and stuff thru, with the blue light flashing when the consoles not even on (gotta love that), but will there be other stuff sent thru to u now and again, as originally promised? Will there ever be Wii game demo's to get via WiiConnect24?

If you want to know whether or not Zelda would be worth your dollars, try reading a review.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    oddment wrote:
    YesNoMu wrote:

If you want to know whether or not Zelda would be worth your dollars, try reading a review.

But not that review by the Sony fanboy who basically tells you to buy a PS2 instead.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Found it! Controllers are like this for the VC:

-NES games can be played with any controller: the remote, classic controller or a gamecube controller.

-SNES games can be played with the classic controller and gamecube controller.

-N64 games can use the classic and gamecube.

-Genesis games can all use the classic controller. Some, but not all, can use the remote and/or the 'cube controller.

-TurboGrafx-16 games can all be played with the remote and classic controller, and some can be played with the gamecube controller.

Speaking of the VC, I think it's time I tried that sucker out.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    oddment wrote:

Please don't get the "official" Wii SD card, it's ridiculously overpriced. Any SD card will work fine. And really, you don't even need one. The Wii's 512MB capacity is fine for just about everything, and you can delete and redownload VC games for free if you need more space. Get a generic one if you'd like to swap saves or upload pictures.

-All VC games work with the GC controller, but the button mapping is less than ideal for SNES games. Those who own a VC controller here speak highly of it. If you just want NES/TG-16/Genesis games, you're in luck, as those can all be played with the remote.

-On demos/anything else through WiiConnect24: We don't know. Most of the online system is still a mystery, such as whether the Wii codes will work for playing games together (they don't for Pokemon, but do for the Elebits level and screenshot sharing), or what games will be supported by updates.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    oddment wrote:
    TP may be my next game... but it needs more selling! Why is it so good?

You might as well be asking why candy is delicious.

Seriously, though, I don't want to spoil anything for you. However, rest assured that the gameplay, art direction, story, etc. are all top notch. Definitely my favorite 3d Zelda to date.

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Zelda is really great. I tend to prefer the 2D Zeldas but Twilight Princess was a pleasure.

Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2 is excellent, believe it or not. Many people who don't like DBZ like the game, and people who like DBZ love the game. The single player mode is massive. Multiplayer battles tend to have major slowdown though.

Trauma Center is really good too. I haven't played much of it yet but I can tell the controls are going to be fine. And in case you're a big wimp, there's an easy mode... wimp.

I'm getting Elebits the next time I go out to a game store.

Taya on
  • Options
    StizzStizz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have a blast playing Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz!! Seems to me like its kind of an underrated and/or overlooked game...

Paper Mario's release has supposedly been pushed up too, so thats something to be looking forward to.

Stizz on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    YesNoMu wrote:
    -On demos/anything else through WiiConnect24: We don't know. Most of the online system is still a mystery, such as whether the Wii codes will work for playing games together (they don't for Pokemon, but do for the Elebits level and screenshot sharing), or what games will be supported by updates.

So wait, as of right now the wii friend codes don't mean anything?

I just got my Wii today too :oops:

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    YesNoMu wrote:

So wait, as of right now the wii friend codes don't mean anything?

I just got my Wii today too :oops:

They work...but you cant do jack with em. Pretty much you can send pictures and little notes back and forth. Woo-fucking-hoo. :roll:

Also it allows your Mii's to travel around which is kinda cool, but from a game point it dont do shit. :(

Stizz on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Best buy is still listing Brawl as coming out on March 17th. Is there any truth to this? I want to know if I should buy Melee now or wait for Brawl. I've played the game to death but also never owned it or a Gamecube and I really want it now that I have a console that can play it.

Snork on
  • Options
    RitchmeisterRitchmeister Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Snork wrote:
    Best buy is still listing Brawl as coming out on March 17th. Is there any truth to this? I want to know if I should buy Melee now or wait for Brawl. I've played the game to death but also never owned it or a Gamecube and I really want it now that I have a console that can play it.

Most likely brawl will come out in March....

[spoiler:0d84394e04] 2008 [/spoiler:0d84394e04]

Ritchmeister on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Guys, guys! Quick thread hijack:

Wario Ware or Trauma Center?

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Wario > Trauma

Stizz on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Trauma Center!

Taya on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The logical part of my mind says Wario Ware.

But my heart craves the tactile (kind of) pleasure of suturing a wound.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I haven't found a wii yet, but I plan on buying Zelda:TP, A Link to the Past and Super Mario Bros on the VC, and will buy Trauma Center just as soon as it goes down to 20/30 dollars.

Darlan on
  • Options
    RandomVinceRandomVince Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wii Play is worth it for 3 reasons.

1. Shooting gallery.
    2. Cow racing
    3. Tank battle

Take note of reason 3. That game is awesome value and if you get into it is worth the extra money over a remote by itself. And if you look around its not unlikely you would be able to find the Wii Play bundle for the same price as a controller anyway.

Last week a mate came over and we played tank battle for an hour. His words: "I could play this all night". He's a massive retro gaming nut (will happily play space invaders until 3 or 4am) so if youre that way inclined, give it a go. :D

RandomVince on
    ULTIMATUM, n. In diplomacy, a last demand before resorting to concessions.
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The classic controller feels backwards for mario :(

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Stizz wrote:
    Wario > Trauma
    This is an erroneous equation, only because the two variables are far too awesome to be compared to each other. It's like asking what's better: $100 in cash or $100 in a gift card to your favorite store.

Both are awesome.

Welcome to the world of Wii-ing, by the by. Wario Ware was my personal system-seller, and I have yet to be disappointed by its glory, but Trauma Center was my other system-seller, even though I've played the DS version to death. The controls for both are stellar and will sell the concept of the Wiimote as a viable alternative to the standard dogbone-style controller.

I also can't stress enough how great the Virtual Console is. I've already tallied $60 worth of games in it, which is far, far more than I originally intended to spend on it. Soldier Blade is probably one of my favorites, but I'm a huge shmupping whore. I'd also highly recommend Mario 64; it's a watershed title for very, very good reason.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hey I like Red Steel...

It's not game of the year but it's still lots of fun.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hey I like Red Steel...

I bought it off a friend for $40. It's pretty solid, actually. I'm convinced two-thirds of the people lambasting it on the Internets never actually played it and based their "OMG CONTROLZ SUCK" comments off of other people's impressions.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lunker wrote:
    Hey I like Red Steel...

I bought it off a friend for $40. It's pretty solid, actually. I'm convinced two-thirds of the people lambasting it on the Internets never actually played it and based their "OMG CONTROLZ SUCK" comments off of other people's impressions.
    It gets much better once you're a ways into it, starting with sniper rifles and grenades.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So I figured I'd ask this question in this thread since I'm also new to the whole Wii thing...

I'm currently updating my Wii and the progress bar is stuck at about 90% and has been that way for about 2 hours now. The router is functioning properly.

What should I do? Can I turn it off and start over? I know it says not to power off, but surely there's some kind of safety net which reverts back to the previous settings. If not, will I totally bone my Wii by turning it off?

Any help and/or advice you guys can give would be appreciated.

Edit: Nevermind, fucking Time Warner started working on the interwebs when I was trying to update.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Trauma Center Second Opinion.

Metal Slug Anthology.

Rayman Raving Rabbids.

Otherwise, depends on taste; Elebits is great, Super Swing is good, ExciteTruck is great, Madden 07 is a fresh football experience, Monkeyball is good, DBZ is good, Tony Hawk is supposed to be decent.

Also, Gunstar Heroes.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If your looking for a Wario-esque game definately get Rayman. The mini-games in there aren't as short as Wario ones but their more in-depth.

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    anti-everythinganti-everything Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I broke down and bought a Wii on eBay the other day, $300 wasn't too bad I guess. I hope to get it by Friday, and if the Bears start losing bad it will probably hijack my Superbowl party.

I had enough of being told "oh they were in yesterday" at gamestores and was tired of seeing reports that Wii's were being held for Sunday openings at big retailers. Camping should be launch only, that's the only time I'd do it. (and dammit, I wish I did)

anti-everything on
    550191-1.png
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If your looking for a Wario-esque game definately get Rayman. The mini-games in there aren't as short as Wario ones but their more in-depth.
    Olive'd for terrible, terrible lies. Rayman is a fun game, but WarioWare is a big step up from it IMO. It's the only Wii game other than Wii Sports for me that has made me think "THIS is Wii, THIS is why I bought a Wii".

bruin on
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wii Play is worth it for 3 reasons.

1. Shooting gallery.
    2. Cow racing
    3. Tank battle

Take note of reason 3. That game is awesome value and if you get into it is worth the extra money over a remote by itself. And if you look around its not unlikely you would be able to find the Wii Play bundle for the same price as a controller anyway.

Last week a mate came over and we played tank battle for an hour. His words: "I could play this all night". He's a massive retro gaming nut (will happily play space invaders until 3 or 4am) so if youre that way inclined, give it a go. :D

I second this and the pool is a good time waster in 2 player.

I also second the Red Steel comments, although due to checkpoints all the time, it feels like lots of small encounters, you rarely get to go apeshit killing once you get good at the game

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    GripperGripper Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ok, this is thread hijackage of the highest degree, but i didn't think it was worth starting another topic... I just ordered a wii, bundled with 4 games

Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess
    Warioware
    Super Monkeyball
    Rayman Raving Rabbids

I know the first 2 will be God Damn amazing, but I'm not sure about the others, so I'm considering trading them. So my question is... if i was to get one more game to go with Zelda and Warioware, what should it be? Any reccomendations greatly appreciated...

Gripper on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Trauma Center
    Metal Slug

or elebits or excite truck. Whatever floats your boat.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Captain CharismaCaptain Charisma __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    B-but....Rayman's awesome.

Captain Charisma on
  • Options
    GripperGripper Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Is it genuinely good? I've never played Rayman games, but I guess I'll give it a try!

Gripper on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Gripper wrote:
    Is it genuinely good? I've never played Rayman games, but I guess I'll give it a try!

It's not really a Rayman game in the traditional sense.

It's really just a good game that uses the wiimote/chuck in a lot of fun ways, and multiplayer is great.

slash000 on