As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Repurposing LCD Displays

hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi all,

I have a strange question, but as always my knowledge is weak and I rely on the enlightenment of H/A to show me the way. I'm wondering if any of you have experience with re-purposing small LCD screens to display avi or mpeg files.

I'm working on a sculpture that would ideally use a number of small screens to run a different looping clips. I've looked at relatively cheap LCD screens such as these and wonder if they can be taken apart..?

Any suggestions?

statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
hamburger helper on

• Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The trick will be powering them and controlling them. Since those already have a controller to play video you can probably use that. Don't know if they loop. Otherwise you'd need some computer (maybe a microcontroller like an Arduino) to drive them. However, you will need special software, drivers, and programming to do it. Also some very specific LCDs and some soldering. Basically unless you are pretty handy with electronics, stick with premade controllers like the ones these have.

These have cigarette-lighter plugs but it should be possible to buy A/C adapters and splitters if you want to drive them from wall power. You could also take the case off and wire them to a DC source directly but be careful.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thanks Doc Frylock, I've decided to try one of these, and if they're suitable will be creating a mosaic of them for my sculpture. Thanks for the advice :)

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I know lumenlab has a guide/forum for making your own projector out of an old LCD screen, some lenses, a lamp, and a controller to interface with a PC/media player. You could probably find a lot more info there.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png