As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iPad killer Notion Ink Adam.. Order today! Now Even Cheaper!!

EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
The Pricing

If you remember I explained that it’s possible that we would be able to cut the price of one of the variants further. So here is the confirmation! You know we have 6 variants : LCD (wi-fi only), LCD + 3G -900 series, LCD + 3G -850 series, Transflective (Wi-Fi only), Transflective + 3G -900 series, Transflective + 3G -850 series.

Earlier we told you that the first version will start at $399. But now the LCD Wi-Fi version will start at $375.33 and 3G version at $425.33 (for limited period?). Transflective version (Pixel Qi) will start at $499.45 for Wi-Fi only and 3G variants at $549.99 (2 variants in 3G, 900 series and 850 series which takes the variant numbers to 6!). (For specifications please see our website).

http://notionink.wordpress.com/2010/12/09/fiat-lux/
Tech specs

Size+Weight

* Thickness: ~14 mm
* Width: 191 mm
* Length: 269 mm
* Weight: ~1.6 pounds

System on Chip

* NVIDIA Tegra 250
* Dual Core Cortex A-9
* ULP GPU

Memory+Storage

* 1GB DDR2 RAM
* 1GB SLC
* 8+ GB Flash
* Micro-SD Card support

Power & Battery

* Universal Charger
* 3 cell 24.6Whr battery

Display

* 10.1" WSVGA (1024 x 600)
* Optional Pixel Qi display:
Transmissive, transflective,
and reflective modes
* Multi-touch
* Matte finish
* Anti glare coating
* Scratch resistant
* Finger print resistant

Camera

* 3.2 MP Auto Focus Swivel
Camera

Communication

* WLAN - 802.11 b/g/n
* Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
* WWAN - 3G HSPA

Audio

* Stereo loudspeakers
* 3.5mm headphone jack
* Built in microphone

Input/Output Ports

* USB 2.0 Host x 2
* Mini USB
* HDMI
* Micro SD slot
* SIM Card slot
* DC connector

Sensors

* 3-Axis accelerometer
* Ambient light sensor
* GPS
* Digital Compass

Bonus mystery feature ;)

gizmologia.com.files.2010.02.notion-ink-02-14-2010.jpg

notion_ink_adam_manufacturing_samples.jpg

preordernow2.jpg

SEGA
p561852.jpg
EliteLamer on

• Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I want this so much. The whole concept of Pixel Qi makes me giddy with joy. It could replace my e-reader.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    I want this so much. The whole concept of Pixel Qi makes me giddy with joy. It could replace my e-reader.

The pixel Qi version is the same price of the ipad..

I can get the non 3g version because I have an HTC Evo 4g.. brb going to root!

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    They are releasing more details today 1:30pm est

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Disappointment! I thought this would be the $35 indian knock off

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Disappointment! I thought this would be the $35 indian knock off

Just the better than ipad Indian made tablet :o

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just got my pre-order in for the Pixel Qi +wifi version, didnt feel I needed 3g.

been waiting for this device for months now, glad its finally coming out.

waiting the 6-8 weeks to be shipped wil be torture now

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Do you know if its going to hit best buy like they planned?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    Do you know if its going to hit best buy like they planned?

haven't heard, but I'd guess that Notion Ink will try and get it in as many stores as possible.

Foomy on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'd love one of these, but I'm not biting until it actually hits market.

Lack of Android Market support would be a huge hit (and they've skirted that question thus far)

Seems like an amazing device, but I just can't commit without seeing it in person first.

Evander on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh god the form factor.

Why pay the premium for an iPad? Because it doesn't look like red misshapen vomit, that's why.

They can't even center the HDMI port, ow.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    Oh god the form factor.

Why pay the premium for an iPad? Because it doesn't look like red misshapen vomit, that's why.

You're an apple tool. What does looks have to do with function. Nothing.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh god the form factor.

Actually an awful lot, if by "looks" you actually mean "ergonomics"

This thing looks like bloated ass.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh god the form factor.

so, what kind of tool are you, then?

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm a fairly big Apple tool, and I like the look - I imagine the thicker edge makes it more comfortable to hold with one hand.

I'm only interested in the Transflective screen one, though, so hopefully it'll be cheaper eventually.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Oh god the form factor.

so, what kind of tool are you, then?

Open source tool

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Oh god the form factor.

they were keeping costs down in this first version by not having custom connectors built, so the hdmi port sits a little off center, a worthy tradeoff if you ask me and not having to get different dongles for connections is great.

as for it being bloated, I like the look of the curve at the end, should be more comfortable for holding it one handed, and the thickness of the rest of the device is .6mm thicker than an ipad thats not very much at all, it weighs the same, little smaller witdth of height of the device with a bigger screen than an ipad (10.1 1024x600 vs. 9.7" 1024x768)

Foomy on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Foomy wrote: »
    as for it being bloated, I like the look of the curve at the end, should be more comfortable for holding it one handed, and the thickness of the rest of the device is .6mm thicker than an ipad thats not very much at all, it weighs the same, little smaller witdth of height of the device with a bigger screen than an ipad (10.1 1024x600 vs. 9.7" 1024x768)
    The Adam's screen is probably a tiny bit smaller, actually, due to the different aspect ratios on the two devices. Losing over 20% of the resolution on one axis (768 vs. 600) is not trivial, and is likely to make browsing feel more cramped. Most websites are still designed with 1024x768 as the minimum expected resolution. 1280x720 might have been much nicer, plus then it would've been native 720p. I don't think it's a crippling flaw, but I think it's something a lot of users will notice, and not in a good way.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    this looks relevant to my interests

and while I'm as anti-Apple as they come, the phrase "iPad killer" is intolerable to me

MrDelish on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I might pick one of these up if it's confirmed they support Android store.

I'm not anti-apple, it's just that I have an iphone 4 so what do I need another device that runs iOS software for?

And yes the phraseology in this thread is not ideal ;). If only because for something to be a 'killer', it should essentially be better in every respect.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Ego wrote: »

I'm not anti-apple, it's just that I have an iphone 4 so what do I need another device that runs iOS software for?

And yes the phraseology in this thread is not ideal ;). If only because for something to be a 'killer', it should essentially be better in every respect.

Everyone spec is better than the ipad besides the screen, however, you can argue the screen is better because it lets you turn the back light off.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    in order for something be an "x object" killer it needs to prove it in the market

MrDelish on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Everyone spec is better than the ipad besides the screen, however, you can argue the screen is better because it lets you turn the back light off.

Specs aren't everything. If their UX is garbage, the product is garbage.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm really hoping this thing takes off. I really want a multipurpose tablet I can use as an e-reader like a Nook/Kindle, and a tablet PC with a color LCD screen. Sure the Pixel Qi screen makes it $500, but I think it's worth it for the extra capability. I'm waiting to see what the community does with it though. I'd love Android marketplace, and perhaps if 3.0 supports it we'll get it officially, but otherwise I'm sure someone will hack it in and share how.

We need more tablet options, because I haven't been very impressed with any of them so far. A lot of promises, but no follow through. If the Adam can follow through, they'll get my vote (and cash).

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If only Android wasn't a shitpile

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    If only apple users could learn how to use electronics.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If only apple users could learn how to use electronics.

:rotate:

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    derp

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What's so special about this? Cause all I see is an overpriced e-reader.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It has Android! Also, supposedly, if you know how to use electronics, you'll enjoy it. Like Linux, look how popular Linux is. You can put it on your DS.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Meh.

With the Tablet floodgates on the verge of bursting open, I rather wait until we have something with an O/S that doesn't depend on an 'apps' market.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't get why everything needs to be an "Apple-killer". Do people feel threatened by their Apple's products or have an inferiority complex or something?

Even if you aren't a fan of Apple's products, I think everyone can appreciate that that they either come up with some amazing ideas, or take existing ideas and present them in a way that turns the industry upside down and creates a ton of imitators.

I think the main reason no single product will ever be an "apple-killer" is because no single device will ever get the same amount of third party support that Apple mobile products do. Looking through the bazillion catalogs coming in the mail during the holidays, it seems every single one carries cases, add-ons, etc. for iPhones, Pods, and Pads. You just don't see that with any other product.

Is the Notion Ink (or Galaxy Tab, Kindle, Nook, etc.) better than the iPad? Maybe... depends on what's important to you. But with iPad 2 coming out and facing some stiff competition you can be sure that the bar will yet again be raised quite high.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Is it lighter? Thinner? Does it have more applications? Higher resolution? That's what I mean. For something to be a killer, it really does have to kick ass and take names in essentially every way.
    With the Tablet floodgates on the verge of bursting open, I rather wait until we have something with an O/S that doesn't depend on an 'apps' market.

Well, ideally you should have a built in apps market and the ability to add other sources of applications. Centralized apps locations really are an excellent idea, from the perspective of usability.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    I don't get why everything needs to be an "Apple-killer". Do people feel threatened by their Apple's products or have an inferiority complex or something?

Even if you aren't a fan of Apple's products, I think everyone can appreciate that that they either come up with some amazing ideas, or take existing ideas and present them in a way that turns the industry upside down and creates a ton of imitators.

I think the main reason no single product will ever be an "apple-killer" is because no single device will ever get the same amount of third party support that Apple mobile products do. Looking through the bazillion catalogs coming in the mail during the holidays, it seems every single one carries cases, add-ons, etc. for iPhones, Pods, and Pads. You just don't see that with any other product.

Is the Notion Ink (or Galaxy Tab, Kindle, Nook, etc.) better than the iPad? Maybe... depends on what's important to you. But with iPad 2 coming out and facing some stiff competition you can be sure that the bar will yet again be raised quite high.

lol so you think no one will ever make a device better than apple ever pretty much. Devices quickly pass apple products in terms of specs and price months after apple releases a product. But oh that devices sucks because it runs android even if it has 2x the specs.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Oh for such a shitty OS like android..
    Google believes that some 200,000 new Android devices are being sold each day. ... Google CEO Eric Schmidt ... pointed to recent studies showing the growth of the mobile operating system outpacing even the popular iPhone.
    "The number was about 100,000 (a day) about two months ago. ... It looks like Android is ... incredibly phenomenal in its growth rate. ... It is improper to be skeptical of Android."

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    That's because they put it on shitty peanuts-with-contract phones and any 3rd world electronics shop can license it out to put it on their 100 dollar device that retails at Walgreens.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    *grin*

I can't help but see that sort of thing and get excited.

At the same time, I buy Chinese knock-offs of popular phones on purpose, just to see how much you can do for cheap (some of them are startlingly good --the n70 clone, for example.) You should see the $20 iphone-alike I've got.

While being more open to licensing on different hardware hurts google in the sense that some people will end up using Android on really shitty hardware and get a horrible impression, it's still nice to know that it means we'll see a struggle for price:performance ratio in a way that's not outright engineered in-house in the sense that Apple prefers for their own line of products.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Well, ideally you should have a built in apps market and the ability to add other sources of applications. Centralized apps locations really are an excellent idea, from the perspective of usability.

Yeah, but, I don't know.

In the end of the day all I really want to do is goof around and play Star Craft 2 or whatever. I can only play 'Angry Birds' for so long.

Though I really hope the IPad2 will be a true pen and paper replacement.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Yeah, but, I don't know.

In the end of the day all I really want to do is goof around and play Star Craft 2 or whatever. I can only play 'Angry Birds' for so long.

Though I really hope the IPad2 will be a true pen and paper replacement.

But if you could add other sources as well as you desired (I don't mean approved sources, I just mean you would have to give the system permission for those sources,) wanting to play 'x' turns into less of a problem, neh?

I do have to say I rarely use many apps on my iphone, aside from Safari/Atomic (another web browser --which lets you say you're a firefox client, bypassing all the shitty 'mobile' sites that the iphone occasionally stumbles on.) But I sure do use them a lot more than the stuff I had to painstakingly hunt up for java or winmo platforms.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hey, Apple Defense Force, can you stop shitting in this thread?

Some of us are genuinely interested in this product. Coming in here and posting things like "If only Android wasn't shit" serves ABSOLUTELY zero purpose, other than to give you something to look at while you jerk yourself off.

If you think that this product is shit, then you have absolutely zero reason to pay attention to the thread's title, and if you actually that this might be a better product, then unless you are Steve Jobs you should be happy that Notion Ink is bringing competition to the market and moving things forward. EITHER WAY coming here to shit up the place is uncalled for.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I think that Android is a fragmented platform whose existence is only to follow the leader might be relevant information when forming a purchase decision.

Do we have any bullet points on this device that aren't "it's not Apple" and don't come as a direct consequence of it being a very late market entry?

It has some connectors that most people don't need.

It has two cores, I'll admit that is nice, unfortunately that extra core will probably end up being devoted to upkeep on... Android and things that come as a consequence of Android, like Flash! And I am not an anti-flash guy, so don't fly out of your chair just yet. I was a Flash developer for 3 years, I'd love Flash on my iPad, but Flash is not there yet.

The remark I made was not intended specifically at the device itself, but more towards the idea that every time EliteLamer makes a thread, it's the Android format of what you perceive as the "Apple Defense Force", and no more devout in its presentation. And that's how the tone of the conversation is set.

It's nice, but "iPad killer" is laughably obtuse, inflammatory nonsense. That a tablet has 1GB of RAM isn't a bragging point. The question should be "why does a device with less screen space and a supposedly superior operating system need QUADRUPLE the resources of its nearest competitor to function".

As soon as someone can present a competitor in a fashion that is fair and unbiased then I'm sure it will have a great impact on the discourse.

Now would be a good time seeing as how EliteLamer is banned, ever the classy gentleman though he may be.

Jasconius on