As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mount and Blade:Warband-X Mod better than Y Mod- Z Mod okay

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dracil wrote: »
    So.... if I only found one order, should it be Ebony Gauntlets or Silvermist Rangers?

Let's assume my entire army will be composed of them.

Silvermist Rangers.

Ebony Gauntlets have a hard(er) time taking cities without archer support, while SRs *are* their own archer support.

Elvenshae on
  • local flavor policelocal flavor police Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ebony Gauntlet! For taking prisoners, and for looking the best!

local flavor police on
    Steam: LocalFlavorPolice
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've been enjoying POP WB. Had to turn the settings way down to avoid crashing but it's still been pretty enjoyable. POP 2.5 was my favorite mod on MB and I'm not liking some of the changes in 3.0.

I don't care for the new noble troop system. Just seems like it added additional grind time to get your army in place. Especially when you have to rebuild after a big loss. Ended up modding it back to the 2.5 troop tree and I've been much happier.

I want PoP warband to stop crashing so much :(. I'm at the point where I love PoP way too much to play native, but I love all of warband's combat and interface changes too much to go back to PoP for vanilla. Changed it to DX 7 mode and it helps a bunch, but I still crash on saving sometimes and it makes me sad.

Oh and did you make that 2.5 troop mod yourself or is there a link to it somewhere? I'm not a huge fan of the new way the orders work either, I don't like my silvermist rangers taking ages longer to get now that everything is even harder.

Fiatil on
  • local flavor policelocal flavor police Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I read that if you save in Taverns and Castles it helps.

local flavor police on
    Steam: LocalFlavorPolice
  • BathTubbBathTubb Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is there a ETA of when the multi-player server will be back up?

BathTubb on
    Steam-BathTubb Xbox Live - Bathtubb
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    this game is pissing me off. Playing blood and steel as I like it better than vanilla by miles thus far.

How do you get any sort of status with your chosen kingdom?

What level of like do you need from these broads to get them to marry you (which I assume would give you status) ?

Any advice on sieges? I somehow always run out of food before the bad guys.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You need to get a baggage train (or is that a PoP only thing?) if you want to starve a city out. I've never done it because ::sitting there for a month::... I just build ladders and attack.

fadingathedges on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Starving a city out is basically not possible, unless you're in a mod that tweaked that downwards, and even then...

Scooter on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Re: sieges- help me with tactics if starving is not an option? Let archers pick them off for a spell then send in the clowns?

In fact- in general the game does not really tell you Wtf to do with your army.

How should I be fighting?

In general I have the cav ride with me- and the archers follow me. Send the foot solders straight at them and flank with archers and cav as the melee begins. I am not sure I am any good as in general numbers win out regardless of tactics.

Is this a game flaw or can you tactically destroy armies that have a numbers advantage on you?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    edited December 2010
    Here's what I do: For field battles, you want the high ground. Take the nearest hill you can get to and camp your archers out there. If the enemy doesn't charge you might have to move them forward, or you can attempt to ride out and provoke them yourself. Let your archers do their work and as they get fairly close, tell your infantry and cav to charge - I try and time it so both sides hit right around my archer line. Don't lose control, though - if there's more waves of enemy incoming, reassemble your forces before they show up, so they have to charge your archers again and your cav isn't stuck in a sudden swarm. This is for PoP, though, vanilla enemies are much smaller and weaker and you probably don't need to worry much there.

For sieges, in PoP I go for the archer-wave strategy on ladder castles, towers I just pass on unless they're already weakened from other takeovers. I actually siege very little in PoP though, as I mostly gain territory by bringing lords to my side. Some mods, I think B&S maybe, give renewing ammo so you don't really need to wave there unless you want to respawn all the guards back at the gate.

Scooter on
    edited December 2010
    It depends on your composition and your enemy's composition. I run an archer heavy army (a pretty common choice I think) with a small number of footmen and cavalry (like a dozen each in a 120ish man army). Most of my cav is knight-type companions. I also have some horse archers, most of whom are companions with crossbows and no melee weapons. Since I'm so archer heavy I like to plant my mans somewhere and force the enemy to come to me, then engage with mounted troops once my archers are firing and they attempt to close in.

When I've used more balanced forces It was still mostly about positioning well, moving around to keep from getting flanked, and using the terrain. I really only ever just charge if my army completely overwhelms whatever they have.

fadingathedges on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just got this in the awesome Steam sale, today. I've been wanting to try it for ages. I need some advice on mods, though.

For a first play through, as someone who likes some realism but is turned off by super difficult games... what should I do?

I'm currently downloading Blood and Steel, and was intending to play through using that set to casual. Is that a decent choice? Or should I play through vanilla, first?

Also, what mods can be/should be combined with B&S? Does Ambient Soundtrack work?

I feel a bit lost. :P

gilrain on
    edited December 2010
    I'm interested in this too, as I've only really gone with PoP for mods and that bundles in a lot of stuff.

fadingathedges on
    edited December 2010
    I think it's good to play through vanilla once, to use it as a tutorial, and to find out what's actually in M&B. Otherwise you may take certain mod tweaks for granted and not know that it's actually a change. You need to be able to learn how to swing a sword and shoot an arrow and such, but once you've got that down vanilla is painfully easy.

Scooter on
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So...aside from that whole 'multiplayer' thing, what's different between Warband and regular M&B?

President Rex on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You can pick up arrows, can become king of the land yourself (I don't think that was in the original), a new faction, some other stuff I forget off the top of my head.

SkutSkut on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You can kick people.

Xtarath on
    edited December 2010
    So...aside from that whole 'multiplayer' thing, what's different between Warband and regular M&B?

Warband is much prettier.

Warband (for me) has had much fewer stability issues when trying to run large battles.

While mounted in M&B, you can only forehand swing to the right of your horse and only backhand swing to the left of your horse. In Warband, you can torso pivot after starting your backswing and aim at enemies to your left or right regardless of whether you are committed to a forehand or backhand attack.

Weapons are retooled generally. Couching only happens on lance-type poles in WB, so you have to get jabby with other non-swingable poles while you are mounted.

I don't play vanilla, but unless I'm mistaken they added the "make your own kingdom instead of just being some king's vassal" stuff that many mods do.

Lots more town/city/castle upgrade stuff (I think... there sure is in PoP, and I believe much of it came from WB vanilla but I could be mistaken).

You can get married now, which affects some shit. The diplomatic / lords / etc stuff is improved but still far from perfect. Thankfully this is a game about riding past peasants at high speed with a blade extended.

e~ Oh and chambering!
    You can basically parry an enemy's attack with the backswing of your weapon as you wind up, resulting in a very quick counter. It's timing and swing-direction based, tricky but makes you feel like a badass when you do it.

fadingathedges on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I do so love kicking people.

Archonex on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Warband multiplayer is worth the price of admission alone.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited December 2010
    There's the new Sarranid (desert) faction, but the two biggest changes for me are A. You can now have more than 32 unit types in your army (a ridiculous pain when each companion counted as a type), and B. No more forest/hill maps where fps drops to 0.5 because of npc pathing issues.

Scooter on
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've already purchased it (M&B itself is basically a steal at $10...but I already own it, but at least the 70% discount applies to M&B Warband...saves me $2.50 I can spend on ...something).

...But if anybody else can think of anything I'll have some more stuff to look out for.

President Rex on
  • SajemSajem Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've got the original M&B and I really enjoyed what I played of it, and now I'm kinda on the fence on getting Warband. I don't think I'd play multiplayer all that much (though I could be wrong on that), and I'm not sure whether the SP changes are substantial enough to pick it up.

Thanks to those posting the differences between the two SP portions; some of that stuff sounds pretty good. Would you say it's worth upgrading if the SP was going to be my focus?

Sajem on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yes.

Xtarath on
    edited December 2010
    Do you play any mods?

I play PoP and greatly prefer WB for the prettiness and less crashing.

Also, you can ENTER A CONTEST to win a copy!

fadingathedges on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    Thrown weapons are awesome now. You can switch 90% of them between thrown and melee mode. And you can pick up any misses to use again.

Morkath on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Sajem wrote: »
    I've got the original M&B and I really enjoyed what I played of it, and now I'm kinda on the fence on getting Warband. I don't think I'd play multiplayer all that much (though I could be wrong on that), and I'm not sure whether the SP changes are substantial enough to pick it up.

Thanks to those posting the differences between the two SP portions; some of that stuff sounds pretty good. Would you say it's worth upgrading if the SP was going to be my focus?

I held off for a long while because I thought Warband just added multiplayer, but once I got it I found the changes were pretty substantial and I have no desire to play the original M&B now. I mainly play SP.

Sir Carcass on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I heard warbands multiplayer was very skill based but after playing it for a couple of hours it seems like it always turns into taking turns smacking each others shields and whoevers shield breaks first loses..am I missing something here?

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Timing. If they're continually striking overhead, go for a thrust and you'll beat them. Or kick and hit them with a swipe. It has kind of a rock paper scissors feel to it, but yeah, if you're starting and not wanting to get really into it, it feels a lot like "Click until someone loses."

Docshifty on
    edited December 2010
    I heard warbands multiplayer was very skill based but after playing it for a couple of hours it seems like it always turns into taking turns smacking each others shields and whoevers shield breaks first loses..am I missing something here?

That happens, yeah, but when your shield breaks you aren't always screwed. Blocking with your weapon is just as effective with the added benefit of your weapon won't break and leave you open. It takes more skill to block that way though, and against arrows and thrown weapons you're completely open, but it's very effective. Usually though, I try and not go up against someone 1 on 1 if we both have shields; I try and wait for teammates to show up and gang up on people (I like to try and maneuver around to their exposed backside). Unless I have an axe, they destroy shields faster than swords and I tend to get a lot of kills while they're still recovering from the shield break. Two handed weapons tend to destroy shields quickly as well.

I play with a buddy of mine over teamspeak a lot and it really helps being able to coordinate that way so if you have some friends to play with I recommend it, we do a lot better working together than we do alone.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited December 2010
    Also, you can cancel attacks by blocking midswing, so you can fake out people, but that does end up back in the "Keep clicking, is someone on the ground yet?" part of the game.

This is also why I just shoot people with crossbows a lot.

Docshifty on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I like to use longer-ranged two handers. You don't need to block if they can't reach you. It makes approaching ranged guys more of a challenge, but oh well.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
    edited December 2010
    I really enjoy using a spear and shield and I'll follow a teammate around until he engages someone, then I'll try and sneak my spear into the opponent's exposed back or whenever he makes a swing at my teammate. I can even do this in a hallway since the spear only needs a narrow opening to thrust. It's also the next best thing against people with two-handed weapons (next to arrows/thrown weapons), for some reason they never block against thrusts.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited December 2010
    hmm
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Phurreh's original amazing post: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=17787323&postcount=2286
    Sorry Phurreh, as soon as I saw it I had to make it:

image1fx.jpg
    Mount & Blade?

image2fx.jpg
    Mount & Blade!

image9a.jpg
    Mount & F*ck*ng Blade!!

fadingathedges on
  • ZombieSheepZombieSheep Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Picked up warband yesterday. Despite numerous warnings and advices against it, I decide to install blood and steel right away due to all the good thing people been saying about it. Start new game, picked the archer, walk into tavern, get attack by a drunk, no melee weapon equipped. You can guess how well that went.

Btw, do blood and steel have a wiki somewhere? Or am I just suppose to look through their forum for information.

ZombieSheep on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think the drunk is just a basic thing. It's also in PoP.

At my renown, I like asking if they knew who I was first before killing them anyway when they backed down.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    edited December 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    I really enjoy using a spear and shield and I'll follow a teammate around until he engages someone, then I'll try and sneak my spear into the opponent's exposed back or whenever he makes a swing at my teammate. I can even do this in a hallway since the spear only needs a narrow opening to thrust. It's also the next best thing against people with two-handed weapons (next to arrows/thrown weapons), for some reason they never block against thrusts.

As a lancer, i can say that is not true.

Dracil on
    edited December 2010
    kaliyama wrote: »

I like to use longer-ranged two handers. You don't need to block if they can't reach you. It makes approaching ranged guys more of a challenge, but oh well.

I think the skill comes from people who are good enough (and have a low enough latency) to manual block while using two handers. Which is not most people.

Dracil on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So should I start singleplayer Vanilla or jump straight into Warband? I played through the tutorial in Vanilla and am currently wandering around the kingdom, looking for looters, but I need to know whether I should commit to one or the other first.

Jintor on
    edited December 2010
    Warband.

The only reason to play Vanilla is mods and they're all being slowly ported anyways. Warband adds more than just multi. Engine updates, animations, particularly mounted combat, among other things.

Docshifty on