As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

• Options
    DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    Id tech 5 to me looks absolutely perfect for new Fallout games, and probably new ES games too. Seemed like a pretty clear choice to me, but I guess Beth is lazy or they need to pump ES5 out quickly. No matter how much tweaking they do, Gamebryo won't be able to give us hugely populated cities and the kind of immersion most ES lovers want.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Suriko wrote: »
    http://www.bethsoft.com/eng/links/job_042309_animator.html

Well, they're hiring. Might be a good sign.

Edit: Also of note, "# Experience with The Elder Scrolls Construction Set or GECK a plus. "
    Judging by the TES community, I'm fairly certain that no animator has ever touched the construction set. Now if they're looking for people to make poses for naked elf girls, they've got a workforce a mile wide.

Monger on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Draper wrote: »
    Id tech 5 to me looks absolutely perfect for new Fallout games, and probably new ES games too. Seemed like a pretty clear choice to me, but I guess Beth is lazy or they need to pump ES5 out quickly. No matter how much tweaking they do, Gamebryo won't be able to give us hugely populated cities and the kind of immersion most ES lovers want.

Or they started development before getting Id Tech 5.

Suriko on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Does Tech 5 do bustling cities? I haven't been keeping tabs on it but the only things I saw was a few monster NPC dudes and a whole lot of outdoors.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Looks like they told IGN it is a new engine, but not ID Tech 5.

Tanolen on
  • Options
    taketheblacktaketheblack Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Tanolen wrote: »

Code for 'the latest version of gamebryo'

taketheblack on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Tanolen wrote: »

Please link to things like this.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/113/1136354p1.html

"In an interview with IGN at Quakecon in August, Bethesda Game Director Todd Howard confirmed the developer's new, and still unannounced, title would not be using id Software's Rage engine, id Tech 5. Instead, Bethesda has created an entirely new game engine. "

Tanolen on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The music in the trailer is pretty fucking sweet. I'm so friggin stoked for this, I just want to call people and shout about it but I don't think anybody I know personally would really give a shit. Oh well. :rotate:

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ha, ha. The dragons are no longer a myth now. This is a good direction to go. Totally did not see that coming.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Better then dicking around for hours getting permission to go do my job and save the fucking world.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The very-specific launch date makes me nervous and also disappointed that it's a year out from now.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    The very-specific launch date makes me nervous and also disappointed that it's a year out from now.

It's more than likely just a tentative date chosen because it looks cool in the trailer.

LittleBoots on

• Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I bet CryEngine 3 would make a pretty Elder Scrolls game.

An entirely new engine is interesting, I wonder if that's just code for "we changed some things in Gamebryo". Nick Breckon says we won't be disappointed, though, and I'm not about to doubt him.

Fats on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Bethesda has been saying that they were working on this game for a long time, and just wanted the announcement-release gap to be small.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Fats wrote: »

An entirely new engine is interesting, I wonder if that's just code for "we changed some things in Gamebryo". Nick Breckon says we won't be disappointed, though, and I'm not about to doubt him.

I'm betting its a modified Gamebryo. While not as exciting as something built from scratch it's better than nothing I guess. I mean, Source is built off of the Quake engine so several years of modification can do wonders.

LittleBoots on

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If I was to go with my gut, I would think that they are going to have to work out some kind of flight system for this, hence the new engine.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-23-rumour-elder-scrolls-5-in-the-works
    "One thing I can say is that from when you first hear about it to when it's out will be the shortest it's been for us. It's pretty far along. When we show it, we want to show a lot, because there's a lot of game there to play right now.

"You know, if [global VP of PR and marketing] Pete Hines came in and said, 'I want you to show it,' I'd be like, 'Okay, I'm ready to show it.' But we've just decided for now not to yet."

Howard wouldn't be drawn on many details about the game, but said the technology was derived from the engine that powered Fallout 3, albeit with significant modifications.

"Fallout 3 technically does a lot more than Oblivion. The new stuff is an even bigger jump from that," he said.

"New engine" is code for "Gamebryo... but different this time! Really!"

Suriko on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

Or they started development before getting Id Tech 5.

Why not switch? I mean, if DNF can switch engines half a dozen times, ES5 can too! ;-)

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-23-rumour-elder-scrolls-5-in-the-works
    "One thing I can say is that from when you first hear about it to when it's out will be the shortest it's been for us. It's pretty far along. When we show it, we want to show a lot, because there's a lot of game there to play right now.

"You know, if [global VP of PR and marketing] Pete Hines came in and said, 'I want you to show it,' I'd be like, 'Okay, I'm ready to show it.' But we've just decided for now not to yet."

Howard wouldn't be drawn on many details about the game, but said the technology was derived from the engine that powered Fallout 3, albeit with significant modifications.

"Fallout 3 technically does a lot more than Oblivion. The new stuff is an even bigger jump from that," he said.

"New engine" is code for "Gamebryo... but different this time! Really!"

The last (bolded) part is particularly worrisome for me.

Howard: You know the big engine improvements we made between Oblivion and FO3?

Me: No.

Howard: Well these are even BIGGER!

That said, my understanding is that "Gamebryo" is just a category of middleware and saying something is "Gamebryo" doesn't denote much in particular (and apparently they're not even saying that, only that it's not idTech 5).

Engine aside Skyrim is a cool place and I love some of its fluff, especially their brand of magic (can't recall the name but it's centered around voice and breath).

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It is a truism by now that Bethesda can't animate or program for shit.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fats wrote: »

I'm betting its a modified Gamebryo. While not as exciting as something built from scratch it's better than nothing I guess. I mean, Source is built off of the Quake engine so several years of modification can do wonders.
    Here's a Eurogamer interview with Howard from last August:
    Eurogamer: Is it fair to say then that it's based on existing technology?

Todd Howard: The technology is ours and it is inspired by the technology we have. We have a lot of it. But that's our starting point - the Fallout 3 tech. It started with Morrowind, we went to Oblivion, we did a lot between Oblivion and Fallout 3 because now we had final hardware - with Oblivion we had six months on final hardware, so Fallout 3 technically does a lot more than Oblivion. The new stuff is an even bigger jump from that.

I can say it is on the existing platforms, which we're really happy with. You almost feel like you have a new console when you see the game.

Edit: Ah, beat.

Darlan on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Cool. I've been looking forward to a new Elder Scrolls

Evander on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/708369.html

is you you embed GT videos BTW

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Not really particular to this game specifically, but... holy shit next holiday is going to be awesome.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Still using gamebryo? You've got to be fucking kidding me. Ughhhhhhh.

I don't think it's as bad as you think (and I previously thought).

from various interviews:
    We've been doing that with the big new game we're doing since we finished Fallout 3. We finished Fallout 3 about a year ago (this interview was a while ago) -- that whole time has been spent redoing large parts of our basic technology. And things that everybody points out in our games that are deficiencies, or aren't as good as they could be, are the same as we have -- that we want to address. And the big one being our animation system. So we feel we can do pretty good worlds, probably what we're best at. But when it comes to how characters actually act on the screen in front of you, we should be doing a lot better. That's been one of our main focuses.
    We’ve spent a lot of time on new technology and re-doing a lot of the engine stuff that we’ve been using.

there's another interview where he talks about how they rebuilt pretty much everything in the engine for this next game; the animation, lighting, shading etc., but I can't find it for the fucking life of me.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just want to be able to go inside a building and look out of a window.

Having some universal lighting would also be pretty sweet.

Also not having entire dungeons pop up 50 ft away. The draw distance in oblivion was fickle.

EDIT: And the dead stare npcs give you when talking with them..... nightmares.

Basically I need to tone down my expectations this time.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Moar liek Elder Scrolls V: Fallout, mirite?

Hopefully they learned enough from Fallout 3 that the dungeons won't get extremely boring after going through the same shit over and over again.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I hope to god this one has replay value. I can't even play Oblivion without alt f4ing after 20 minutes of game play yet I can walk into Morrowind and find something that I didn't discover or do and that game has been out for nearly a decade.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    There's pretty much only one thing I really need to know about V:

Are Ralph Cosham and Jon Bryce still on the payroll?

Sorenson on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Clevinger wrote: »
    And things that everybody points out in our games that are deficiencies, or aren't as good as they could be, are the same as we have -- that we want to address.
    I cannot overstate how I am not reassured by his sudden change of phrasing.

Monger on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Aww, no more Patrick Stewart.

Still looks awesome, lore/setting-wise.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I still can't believe that got Sean Bean to play a whinny-priest

ugh

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    I still can't believe that got Sean Bean to play a whinny-priest

ugh

<3 Sean Bean. D:

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This comes out a day before my birthday and just after the end of my exams AND probably close to Mass Effect 3. I cannot wait.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This comes out a day before my birthday and just after the end of my exams AND probably close to Mass Effect 3. I cannot wait.

You know. That just makes November/December next year just that more awesomer. Play Skyrim all month, beat it, play it some more, and then buy Mass Effect 3.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I can't be the only one who thought the trailer was lame.

I mean, okay, confirmation of Elder Scrolls V and its setting: cool. The trailer? Meh.

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The only good thing about the trailer is the music at the end.

These days though I don't really expect anything from debut trailers. We're lucky we even got a tentative release date.

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Not really a trailer, more of a teaser. And yes, the music was cool and the black dragon puke/fire.

LittleBoots on

• Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm hoping the "dragons" referred to in the trailer are Tsaesci and not dragons-dragons. From some of the things he says I'm pretty sure they are.

That PA comic basically explains it better than I can. You gotta find a way to put a dragon in your promotional material somehow.

Yougottawanna on