As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SSX: "Deadly Descents" -- potentially less deadly, more tricky

• Options
    pricerpricer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Based on this previous report (http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6285015.html), it looks like the new features will include:

avalanches (no mention of scripted or dynamic)
    hurricanes
    whiteouts/blizzards
    falling rocks (scripted/dynamic?)
    crevasses (scripted/dynamic?)
    heliboarding (as seen in trailer)
    base jumping (a nod towards the dudebro demographic?)
    skyboarding (i assume like heliboarding, just at a higher altitude?)
    ice-climbing (...alongside Soap MacTavish?!)
    wingsuit flying

From the sounds of things, it almost feels like a more open-world attempt at SSX, a "Skate" to the previous iterations "Tony Hawk", if you will - which leads further credence to this article (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/66750) which suggests the development team (EA Canada) is largely made up of Skate members. As a side-note, wouldn't it be ironic if Activision could turnaround a successful Tricky-esque franchise of their own, effectively reaping what EA/Skate did to Activision's own Tony Hawk franchise.

While I feel the features listed do appear interesting in their own right, I can't see the thinking of attaching this game to the SSX franchise, other than brand-awareness - as it shares little to no resemblance to the previous games or franchise, granted SSX on tour, was a more mature attempt (well...it had skis), but even Amped has more in common with SSX, than what has been seen of this new SSX reboot.

pricer on
    76561197967313421.png
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You know, I don't really like the Skate control scheme. I much prefered mashing button combos to do awesome tricks, rather than these new dualstick things.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So what's this trailer that is supposed to drop today?

same one from last night or what?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I wish Amped 3 got a PS3 release. That game looked fucking fun.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    We just don't know enough yet. Could be pretty exilerating...

Hawk on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The gritty "realistic" remake of Tomb Raider and Lara Croft looks awesome. I enjoy what they are doing with the character. However, for SSX it seems they rather missed the whole entire point of the series.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I wish Amped 3 got a PS3 release. That game looked fucking fun.

It was pretty fun, yes.

Edit: I just watched the trailer, I have to wonder who thought this was a good idea?

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm glad I'm doing something different. So they lost the color (or maybe they were just showing off the one dark grey level), I'll just play it wearing these:
    3d-specs.jpg
    Also, friggin base jumping mixed with snowboarding? I would buy that with bells on.

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah I'm not seeing whats wrong with it, it's been like 4-5 years since an SSX game came out. The landscape of gaming has changed dramatically I can't really see them just putting out a graphically updated version of Tricky complete with RUN DMC sample every 45 seconds.

Basically this SSX is better than no SSX at all.

Allforce on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Allforce wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not seeing whats wrong with it, it's been like 4-5 years since an SSX game came out. The landscape of gaming has changed dramatically I can't really see them just putting out a graphically updated version of Tricky complete with RUN DMC sample every 45 seconds.

Basically this SSX is better than no SSX at all.

This isn't always true.

Imagine your girlfriend is great at blowjobs. Best you've ever had. You love 'em, and you make sure to tell her this quite a bit because why the hell wouldn't you.

One day, she says she has a present for you. Here you are, a videotape. It's of her giving blowjobs to ten other guys at once. "I know you like my blowjobs, so now you can enjoy them any time you want, even if I'm away".

Suddenly, you're a bit less interested in her blowjobs. Even if the old ones she used to give are objectively the same, they're just not quite so enjoyable.

Moral of the story - it is possible to miss the point and try to give someone more of something they like, only to screw things up so badly that the whole idea is tarnished. Not saying that has happened here...but it happens enough with franchises with lots of fan goodwill that it's easy to see it sometimes.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What the fuck?

What the fuck?

What the fuck is this shit?

What the fuck is this shit?

Seriously?

What....?!

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Please never compare anything to anything else ever again. Thank you.

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I aim to please champ.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nothing will ever top the glory that was SSX3.

That game was perfection; easily my favorite game on the PS2

Godfather on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    Nothing will ever top the glory that was SSX3.

That game was perfection; easily my favorite game on the PS2

Only SSX game I've gotten to spend much time with was Blur. Is SSX3 loads better?

Dirty on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Every SSX game is loads better than Blur

So...you're in for a treat!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I spent a vast amount of time playing SSX 3 and Tricky on the OXbox. I don't have a current gen console, but I love SSX so much I just had to see what was going on.

I just don't know anymore man

Drake on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I do hope they're going for a "Conquer the Mountain" style from SSX 3. I will admit that doing flippy stuff through avalanches could be awesome.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I just watched the trailer

You sons of bitches!

What have you done to SSX?

Why should you live?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Every SSX game is loads better than Blur

So...you're in for a treat!

Blur is SSX3.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I hope that is not true, because I hear great things about SSX3, and Blur is definitely butt

I have only played SSX, Tricky and Blur

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I hope that is not true, because I hear great things about SSX3, and Blur is definitely butt

I have it on good authority that the mountain is exactly the same. The music and aesthetics are different.

I mean you could call it butt just for the motion specials but I didn't find them to be that much trouble or even all that necessary.

Has anyone in this thread actually played both games?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wow... that trailer was just horribad.

SSX Tricky was great, but SSX 3 was my all-time favorite game on the Gamecube. The music was integral to the series. The soundtrack for SSX 3 was the perfect collection of songs to get you pumped up during the game. If I ever wanted to go on a serious high score run I'd always set up the DJ playlist and start out with N.E.R.D.'s 'Rockstar'. If I wanted to just freeride then I'd start it out with Basement Jaxx's 'Do your Thing'. Whenever I hear these songs now, I automatically picture myself doing crazy tricks on the slope.

If Blur is just SSX 3 for the wii then I'll definitely check that out. This new SSX just looks like bad news.

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

I have it on good authority that the mountain is exactly the same. The music and aesthetics are different.

I mean you could call it butt just for the motion specials but I didn't find them to be that much trouble or even all that necessary.

I actually enjoyed the motion controls in Blur, but the characters have none of the charm and personality found in SSX3 and Tricky. I would've loved SSX3+ motion controls but Blur was not it.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wait, why are people saying there's guns? Yes the colours were muted, I can understand some upset at that. But I saw a guy snowboarding, using a pickaxe (the exclusive domain of Modern Warfare, apparently?) and then a wingsuit.

So.. exactly like Call of Duty.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    darleysam wrote: »
    Wait, why are people saying there's guns? Yes the colours were muted, I can understand some upset at that. But I saw a guy snowboarding, using a pickaxe (the exclusive domain of Modern Warfare, apparently?) and then a wingsuit.

He also wore googles and a ski mask. Everyone knows that only special forces operatives would ever wear those.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Wait, why are people saying there's guns?

There hasn't been a single mention of guns anywhere in this thread.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    krapst78 wrote: »

Now we only need flashing neon disco strobe lights and the guy to be bare chested and sporting an afro.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I hope it isn't all serious about "Missions". The very point of snowsports is fun, so making it serious is pretty dumb. That said, I'm rather excited for a new snowboarding game.

schuss on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

I didn't imagine it dude. When this trailer was shown, people were talking about guns.

edit: yeah, someone said "snowboarding with guns" in the VGA thread. Couple that with all the Call of Duty talk, it makes it sound like he's shooting guys as he's riding down the hill.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I'm not sure it's off to say the trailer reminds someone of this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAjhscvMNeE&NR=1&feature=fvwp

More than this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieRzD-JIKnE

It's teaser. It's supposed to tease and excite. It's supposed to drum up enthusiasm of the project. That's a judgement in a specific direction. "I want to play that." That direction can also be negative. "I don't want to play that at all."

Could the game turn out completely different? Could it be enjoyable? Could it be exactly what we were looking for in a snowboarding title? Sure.

But it's perfectly reasonable to decide, "maybe this isn't what I'm looking for" from a teaser. That's the point. We all have only so much time and money. Businesses need to give me the right song and dance for mine.

Right now, my feelings for SSX: DD are less than enthusiastic.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    God

Damn it. I usually don't get this bent out of shape over a trailer, but this is kind of missing the entire point of SSX. It's goofy! It's arcadey! It doesn't take itself so absurdly seriously! This is...the opposite of all those things :(

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Tom Clancy's SSX!?

so, is there a book coming out or something

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

I didn't imagine it dude. When this trailer was shown, people were talking about guns.

edit: yeah, someone said "snowboarding with guns" in the VGA thread. Couple that with all the Call of Duty talk, it makes it sound like he's shooting guys as he's riding down the hill.

Yeah, I'm sort of to blame about the whole gun thing, but to be fair I said I just hoped that there weren't guys with AKs snowboarding around. :P

But in all seriousness, calling the game something like Call of Snowboarding is a bit of an overreaction I think.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fireflash wrote: »

I actually enjoyed the motion controls in Blur, but the characters have none of the charm and personality found in SSX3 and Tricky. I would've loved SSX3+ motion controls but Blur was not it.

I was going to write exactly this. Blur was pretty good with controls—the carving on the nunchuk was heaven, though the arbitrary shapes for the Ubers was spotty at best—but the entire framework around the game was a half-hearted shadow of what resonated with a lot of people for Tricky and SSX 3. I think fans like us are caught up more in the cruft—the extra fluff around the game—than in the actual game, though I don't really mean that as an insult.

The mountain isn't exactly the same, or at least IIRC; the individual tracks are themselves pulled from the previous SSX games, but they're kind of cobbled together instead of really flowing from one into the other in a cohesive mountain. It's like the difference between a "Now That's What I Call Music" compilation and a good mixtape, if that makes any sense. The feeling of skating down the entire freaking 30-minute mountain in 3 was exhilarating because you had sequentially worked through the earlier races. Blur felt like one of those accursed "test games" that the Wii suffered through early on in its life; EA was testing out the controls, and just kind of draped a game around it instead of really making it all click together.

Truth be told, though, SSX as a franchise has been straying from the peaks (no pun intended) of Tricky/SSX 3 for a while. I think opinions on On Tour were mixed, but personally it didn't do anything for me—it had that rock-and-roll sketch aesthetic, but the wildly disjointed track segments made no sense, and the create-a-skater aspect marginalized the personality of the other players even more. Blur abanoned personality entirely for a pretty cool Junkie XL soundtrack, but that god-awful Saturday-morning-cartoon-reject art style and the somewhat-connected, but lifeless mountain also left me disinterested.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    We need to compare this thread and the early Diablo III threads.

Fans are a fickle bitch.

Verr on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think they just framed the teaser the wrong way. It looks like you'll be "Competing" for first descents etc. Which could be a fun mechanic/goal.

schuss on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    schuss wrote: »
    I think they just framed the teaser the wrong way. It looks like you'll be "Competing" for first descents etc. Which could be a fun mechanic/goal.

I agree. Yeah, the devs made a poor choice on how to frame the teaser, but I'm not ready to give up on the series yet.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Lunker wrote: »
    The feeling of skating down the entire freaking 30-minute mountain in 3 was exhilarating because you had sequentially worked through the earlier races.

I got this feeling from Blur. It was neat working all the way up to the peak of the mountain and then racing downwards all the way to the bottom. You could take the wrong path and have the long descent cut short as you went onto a side level, but I though it was pretty easy to take the path you wanted.
    Verr wrote: »
    We need to compare this thread and the early Diablo III threads.

Fans are a fickle bitch.

Alternatively, compare to the Devil May Cry reveal of new Dante.

UncleSporky on
This discussion has been closed.