As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RPG, Strategy and puzzle games? (DS recommendation thread)

AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Games and Technology
Alright guys, thanks for the science fiction recommendations; I got a nice list of games to pick up. Now I want to focus on a few more genres, specifically RPGs and Strategy games. Please recommend away!:^:

XBL: Flex MythoMass
AuburnTiger on

• Options
    edited December 2010
    Also, does the DSi online store have full retail games for download?

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Chrono Trigger.

You should get that.

Drake on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Moon is a pretty good sci fi fps.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Seconded, rather enjoyed that game. I'm hesitant to recommend Puzzle Quest Galactrix because I didn't end up enjoying it (fucking warp gates AGAIN!?) but it worth investigating if you like gem-matching games

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Also Scurge: Hive is a fun little game, old and obscure enough that you can get it for ten bucks or so

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Chrono Trigger is definitely on my list, especially since it's only $15 new at Amazon. As for Moon, I'm not to keen on playing a FPS on a handheld, but I'll look for some more info on it.

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SMT: Strange Journey, and Devil Survivor to a lesser extent have sci-fi elements.

EVOL on
  • Options
    CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Contact? You can get it for cheap nowadays...

And how's that Phantasy Star game? It's sci-fi, but I don't know whether it's good or not.

Catshade on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Simple answer: Consider getting a copy of Infinite Space your new mission in life.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Simple answer: Consider getting a copy of Infinite Space your new mission in life.

It's the most advanced rock paper scissors simulator EVAR!

fake edit: My favorite sci-fi game on the DS is super scribblenauts. No lie.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Advance Wars: Days of Ruin is Sci-fi ish.

But really, Infinite Space is all you god damn need.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Prices, even on ebay, for a copy with instruction booklet and case are pretty outrageous.

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jesus Christ you aren't kidding...

urahonky on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

This.

Also Metroid Prime Hunters is great, if a little confusing at times in it's progression.

Mech Assault : Phantom Wars is supposedly decent, but I've never had the chance to play it. Pops up from time to time in the bargain bin though.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Is Front Mission a sci-fi game? There's a Front Mission 1 port on DS, I reckon.

Catshade on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Catshade wrote: »
    Is Front Mission a sci-fi game? There's a Front Mission 1 port on DS, I reckon.

BAM!

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Did the Xenosaga 1 and 2 retelling ever get translated? If it did you may want to check into it. The Super Robot Taisen series seems to be popular as well, but I personally don't have any experience with it. Star Fox: Command is kind of sci-fi, I guess. It's a fun title. It has a blend of strategy and shooting in missions that are generally quick little affairs perfect for some pick up and play action.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Bullio wrote: »
    Did the Xenosaga 1 and 2 retelling ever get translated? If it did you may want to check into it. The Super Robot Taisen series seems to be popular as well, but I personally don't have any experience with it. Star Fox: Command is kind of sci-fi, I guess. It's a fun title. It has a blend of strategy and shooting in missions that are generally quick little affairs perfect for some pick up and play action.

Hold the phone! Shut the front door! There are Xenosaga games on the DS, and there is a possibility that they got translated?!?! Why have I not heard this! checking amazon... be back soon.

e: many tears are flowing, for this did not ever receive translation.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I suggesting importing Infinite Space from PAL. The price on brand new copies is pretty low around here.
    Other than that? Devil Survivor and Strange Journey are pretty much all there is. Both are fine games, though.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Prices, even on ebay, for a copy with instruction booklet and case are pretty outrageous.

try goozex, that's where i got my copy.

be warned, though, if you've a completionist you'll probably want to print out a guide and carry it around with you as you play.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited December 2010

try goozex, that's where i got my copy.

be warned, though, if you've a completionist you'll probably want to print out a guide and carry it around with you as you play.

The real problem is that you can't put it down and pick it up a month later and continue playing. Or at least I couldn't due to the total lack of a way for the game to remind you what it is you are supposed to be doing.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Also it's a freakin' 80 hour game.

But it is awesome for a person who loves space opera. The ship customization Tetris is just so much fun.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I could never get past the first fight in Infinite Space. No matter what I did, he blew me away in 2 shots. I never managed to get to customization at all.

It's a stretch but maybe The World Ends With You is sort of Sci Fi? It's a great game.

Phantasy Star 0 is ok... you could do better for a Phantasy Star fix tho.

And they're very juvenile story-wise but the various Mega Man Battle Network and StarForce games are just stupid fun.

edit: Oh yeah, Contact. I LOVED it but you have to kind of get into grind gameplay.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I could never get past the first fight in Infinite Space. No matter what I did, he blew me away in 2 shots. I never managed to get to customization at all.

I'd bet that you were not attacking the front ship in the enemy formation. You have to shift targets.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Infinite Space is pretty damn boring.

This is what you do in combat

:Slowly move Forward
    :Wait for your attack guage to slowly recharge
    :Attack/counter/dodge
    :slowly move backward to avoid being in range

and the music. Oh god the fucking repetitive music of nonstop looping...I can still hear it in my dreams.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I just remembered that there's a Warhammer 40K game on DS. Looking around Metacritic, it seems quite mediocre, though...

Catshade on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

I'd bet that you were not attacking the front ship in the enemy formation. You have to shift targets.

No, I was. I remembered I wanted to go after the second ship and couldn't shift targets.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

No, I was. I remembered I wanted to go after the second ship and couldn't shift targets.

Are you talking about the very very first fight, or the first fight as Yuri, or the second or third fight as Yuri where things actually start to count and you have some control?

Anyway, it appears some really annoying kid has started a Let's Play of the game so you can just mute it and find out what you were doing wrong.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Are you talking about the very very first fight, or the first fight as Yuri, or the second or third fight as Yuri where things actually start to count and you have some control?

Anyway, it appears some really annoying kid has started a Let's Play of the game so you can just mute it and find out what you were doing wrong.

The one where you fight the ugly guy who wants you to come back to the planet on the threat of killing your over-stereotyped sister.

First BIG fight I should have said. Everything up till then was just hammering the Barrage button.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I really enjoyed Starfox: Command. Most people seemed dissapointed with it because like every new Starfox game they really just want the original or 64 re-released, but I thought Command was a really fun and interesting take on the Starfox gameplay, and really liked the controls.

A lot of people also like Lunar Knights, but I could never get into it. It is somehow related to Kojima, but the convoluted mechanics and annoying controls (isometric view with 8 directional aiming) made me not really get into it.

There is also Nanostray 2, scifi side scrolling shooter that I've heard is good but never played.

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    METEOS

METEOS IS AWESOME

Antimatter on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited December 2010
    Advance Wars: Days of Ruin has the best sci-fi story in a Nintendo game since Metroid Fusion

Opium on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited December 2010
    Also Pokemon is for the most part sci-fi as well, I just realised

Opium on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Trace Memory has some sci-fi elements and is a fun little adventure game. I wouldn't set it alongside Hotel Dusk and the Ace Attorney games, but it's worth giving a go.

Darlan on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just remembered that there's a Warhammer 40K game on DS. Looking around Metacritic, it seems quite mediocre, though...

I played the PSP version of the game and thought it was pretty great. Then again, I love Turn-based games, and the Warhammer 40K setting (despite never actually playing the tabletop).

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    DHS Odium wrote: »

I played the PSP version of the game and thought it was pretty great. Then again, I love Turn-based games, and the Warhammer 40K setting (despite never actually playing the tabletop).

I remember thinking it sounded a lot like the table top version. Like, more than other versions I've played. I'm still looking for a copy.

Drake on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Mega Man Zero Collection, with all four games, despite my bitchings about difficulty, it's excellent.

Oh I don't know... how about Chrono Trigger?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Strange Journey is pure science-fiction, also dark and bleak. If System Shock was a turn-based RPG with dungeon crawling, it'd be Strange Journey.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Well, the DSi XL is on its way, along with Chrono Trigger. I'll have to get Infinite Space and Strange Journey soon.

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Thanks for all the recommendations; I have a pretty nice list of Sci-Fi themed games I plan on picking up. Now bring on the strategy and RPG recommendations! :D

AuburnTiger on