As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

humble bundles

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm either an idiot or there's some power you get later in the game that you need to use to come back and beat the first levels

I'm missing two puzzle pieces in the very second level and god damn if I am not totally stumped on how to get at them

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    IrtehmongooseIrtehmongoose Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    i already own braid on 360 and Machinarium but

what the hell maybe i'll actually finish braid this time

I never finished Braid either, I should probably do that.

Irtehmongoose on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I'm either an idiot or there's some power you get later in the game that you need to use to come back and beat the first levels

I'm missing two puzzle pieces in the very second level and god damn if I am not totally stumped on how to get at them

there is exactly one puzzle that you can't do when you first reach it. It's in the first level, and you get what you need for it in the same level.

what puzzles are you stuck on?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2010

there's one where you have to ride a cloud for like 45 minutes

it's stupid

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2010
    BEARD wrote: »
    I had a friend who was like "man, Braid was kinda lame. What was the point?"

I asked him if he had been reading the story, and he said he skipped all of the books because playing a videogame wasn't about reading. Yeeeeeah.

hahaha I didn't read any of it either

mostly because my eyes hate reading stuff on TV. i'll pick up this bundle and go through it again

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    101 wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    finishing braid isn't that hard

beating it is

I finished the entire game before finding out about this.

Like seriously whoa

What does this mean

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Keith wrote: »

there's one where you have to ride a cloud for like 45 minutes

it's stupid

It's actually 2 hours

you don't really "need" to do it though

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lord Dave wrote: »

beating it is

Like seriously whoa

What does this mean

It's a game within a game.

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOW

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    the speed run I think?

still have never gotten that last achievement

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Lord Dave wrote: »

beating it is

Like seriously whoa

What does this mean

I think they're talking about the stars

if you didn't know, there are I think 5 or 6 hidden stars in the game. Usually you get at them by breaking a puzzle in such a way that you make it onto a secret platform hidden above the top of the screen, at which point it scrolls up to reveal a whole new puzzle. Getting all the stars unlocks an alternate ending.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    whaaaaaaaaat

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    the speed run I think?

still have never gotten that last achievement

fuck the speed run so much

I feel like I did a good enough job figuring out all these puzzles. Doing them quickly is just an obnoxious chore.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I think I got all the stars?

I don't remember

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    you guys are fucking with us

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    whaaaaaaaaat

haha yeah

IIRC the stars are hidden in
    The Cloud Bridge? The room in the first level with the level's portrait

The third level room where you have to guide the goombas through the three piranha plants

Fickle Friend in the third level

The room in the fourth level where you have to let a goomba bounce off of your silhouette so that it's high enough for you to bounce off of

The room in the fifth level that has the same set-up with the goombas and piranha plants as the third level. Cascade I think?

Elevator Action in the fifth Level

Braid in the last level. You can't get this one 'til you have all the others.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    nope

just watched the alt. ending and I totally got them

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    doin this tonight

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    'nother fun fact:

in the epilogue area, if you open one of the books, then get Tim behind a piece of scenery and turn his back to the text, the text changes to a different perspective

these are actually mini-puzzles in themselves

the blank books wipe the text from the screen so you have to figure out how to get to an obstructing piece of scenery without touching them

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    doin this tonight

like keith mentioned

the cloud bridge one in the first level, you have to get onto an apparently stationary cloud and then let the game sit for about two hours

just set things up, then walk away or watch TV for a while and come back

the others are actually interesting and challenging puzzles but that one's just bullshit

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    speaking of indie games when the fuck is Fez coming out

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Never knew about them stars

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Those are a fucking pain in the ass. Couldn't be bothered with them, but I'll probably try getting them eventually.

Dux on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I put in a negative number and they gave me money

is it worth it though

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The Elevator Action one is also really obnoxious

it's super finnicky and because it's off-screen you can't tell whether or not you're lined up with the platform properly and it takes like 15-30 minutes of fine adjustments to get it just right

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    don't assemble any puzzles until you've looked up how to get all the stars in Braid

there's one that you can't get if you've assemble the 1st and 2nd puzzles beforehand, and you'll have to restart

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    don't assemble any puzzles until you've looked up how to get all the stars in Braid

there's one that you can't get if you've assemble the 1st and 2nd puzzles beforehand, and you'll have to restart

oh yeah fuck

forgot about that one

okay the stars are about 50% fun and cool and 50% fucking bullshit

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The Elevator Action one is also really obnoxious

it's super finnicky and because it's off-screen you can't tell whether or not you're lined up with the platform properly and it takes like 15-30 minutes of fine adjustments to get it just right

I hated the cloud bridge one so much, because I waited a bit too long, and when I came back, I couldn't reach the ledge and had to start all over again. That was just fucking bullshit. And then there's the star puzzle thing in the hub where if you finished one of the puzzles, you couldn't get it.

Dux on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

there is exactly one puzzle that you can't do when you first reach it. It's in the first level, and you get what you need for it in the same level.

World 2 (where the fuck is world one) map two: right before the puzzle board, there's a pair of cloud cannons firing at each other and dissipating on a piece of land in the center. Then there's a long plank right before the puzzle, then a plank on the other side. I can't reach the other plank even by jumping on the single goomba-like creature on the first plank. one of the puzzle pieces floats above this board.

then right above the door, there's another puzzle piece, just out of reach of a jump. There are no creatures to jump on. I do not get it at all, unless I'm missing something. Is there a way to accelerate a jump with the time shifting mechanism?

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

World 2 (where the fuck is world one) map two: right before the puzzle board, there's a pair of cloud cannons firing at each other and dissipating on a piece of land in the center. Then there's a long plank right before the puzzle, then a plank on the other side. I can't reach the other plank even by jumping on the single goomba-like creature on the first plank. one of the puzzle pieces floats above this board.

then right above the door, there's another puzzle piece, just out of reach of a jump. There are no creatures to jump on. I do not get it at all, unless I'm missing something. Is there a way to accelerate a jump with the time shifting mechanism?

world one is the last world

those are in fact the only pieces that you need something special for!

hint: you can interact with one of the puzzle pieces you've already collected.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

even having already played through most of the game before, i just started again

and these pieces still kick my ass. i still haven't figured out the one above the door again

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh man, at least two games that I've been wanting, cool.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited December 2010

even having already played through most of the game before, i just started again

and these pieces still kick my ass. i still haven't figured out the one above the door again

it's the same principle as the first one
    don't kill that goomba yet

there's a few later levels where there's just no room whatsoever for trial and error

like you must fuck it up and start the level over again to understand what you're supposed to be doing

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    more explicit hint:
    The table depicted in one of the pieces can be used as a platform

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

there's a few later levels where there's just no room whatsoever for trial and error

like you must fuck it up and start the level over again to understand what you're supposed to be doing

The only one I remember being totally irreversible is

well

Irreversible.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

The only one I remember being totally irreversible is

well

Irreversible.

i remember that one

what a bitch

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    there are a few where you have to use a time-resistant lever to move a time-resistant platform

if you fuck it up, you basically have to quit the level and start over

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    there are a few where you have to use a time-resistant lever to move a time-resistant platform

Couldn't you, like, leave that particular room, or part, or whatever, then return, and it would have reset? Like go back to the previous puzzle.

Dux on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Dux wrote: »

Couldn't you, like, leave that particular room, or part, or whatever, then return, and it would have reset? Like go back to the previous puzzle.

yes

i know this because i am on that puzzle right now

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I am loving Machinarium.

Big smile on my face whenever I complete a puzzle, my only complaint is that the mouse can go a bit funny at times.

101 on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I will probably drop five bucks on this but only because I already have Braid and Machinarium.

Might put them on my mac so I have some games on my mac.

The Machinarium soundtrack is amazing by the way.

#pipe on