As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East D&D

• Options
    Willi BurgerWilli Burger Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thanks Willi for the information, do you know what room they will host the "D&D Learn-to-Play"? Once again, thank you for the heads-up.

Exhibit Hall B1 will have all of the games I listed, including the D&D Learn to Play.

Willi Burger on
  • Options
    luceklucek Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    flatline wrote: »
    First, to be fair, everyone had the opportunity to sign up for D&D sessions BEFORE PAX East last year.

And that squares with them telling me just to show up how?

lucek on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    slamonella wrote: »
    Thanks Willi. Is Kalarel's Revenge a 4e event?

Yes, Kalarel's Revenge is a 4e event, featuring supplied characters made from the upcoming Heros of Shadow book. It's a great chance to get a sneak preview!

Willi Burger on
  • Options
    slamonellaslamonella Clue-by-Four Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yes, Kalarel's Revenge is a 4e event, featuring supplied characters made from the upcoming Heros of Shadow book. It's a great chance to get a sneak preview!
    Thanks for the info Willi! I'm very much looking forward to it after being away from D&D for a decade (or two...)

slamonella on
    Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    hutchback wrote: »
    Can we download a schedule with room assignments somewhere?

All of the Wizards of the Coast D&D games will be in Exhibit Hall B1.

You can download the schedule here:

http://www.williburger.com/Schedule.pdf

Willi Burger on
  • Options
    MangoProjectsMangoProjects Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Thanks willi. Thank you.

MangoProjects on
    I create images with IMPACT.
  • Options
    hutchbackhutchback Newark, DERegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Thank you sir!

hutchback on
  • Options
    nrcooknrcook Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Do you know if any LFR sessions will be played? I believe last year there were quite a few tables going on, but I haven't seen anything this year.

Thanks,

Nick

nrcook on
  • Options
    quidproromoquidproromo Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    nrcook wrote: »
    Do you know if any LFR sessions will be played? I believe last year there were quite a few tables going on, but I haven't seen anything this year.

Thanks,

Nick

New to PAX but not LFR. I will probably bring the new year 3 mods.

I do LFR with a bunch of people weekly here in the big apple.

However since it is my first PAX this will purely be backup plans to panels and the like. Also I may possibly be DM'ing the official WOTC stuff.

I would also be interested in running/playing Dresden Files RPG or playing any other pen and paper funnness if anyone else is.

Cheers

Romo

PS. First post! Been lurking for a while.

quidproromo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    nrcook wrote: »

Thanks,

Nick

We will not be running any LFR in the Wizards area. Didn't run LFR last year either. Just too much other stuff going on.

Willi Burger on
  • Options
    ScorpiusScorpius Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It seemed, from talking to people last year, that it just wasn't well known that you could sign up online. Even for those who go their and signed up on Friday, it wasn't clear that you could sign up for the other days. It must have been clear to some people, because they went ahead and filled those slots, but enough people seemed confused that there was misinformation.

I also witnessed, both attendees and staff members/volunteers send people to the wrong lines, since Wizards was hosting separate events at the same time.

Scorpius on
  • Options
    emf715emf715 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Any opportunities for a D&D noob? I haven't played since 4th grade ( a long time ago), but this seems like a great time to get back into it...

emf715 on
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    so i have basically no experience and very limited knowledge about d&d, but i'm super curious. is it weird/rude to just hang around and watch people play? i'm nervous about giving it a try in such a public forum, but i think i'd really enjoy watching how the gameplay functions, then maybe trying it out with some friends in a less anxiety-inducing setting.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    They have Learn-to-Play sessions all weekend long.

From the schedule in post #126:

"D&D Learn-to-Play. Want to learn how to play D&D 4th Edition? We’ll teach you all the basics, and send you out on your first adventure! Everything is provided for you, and you can even keep your character. A 2 hour D&D 4th Edition play experience.

Runs Friday 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 5 pm, 7 pm and 9 pm; Saturday 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 5 pm, 7 pm, and 9 pm; Sunday 11 am, 1 pm, and 3 pm."

I haven't played in a decade (or two...) and I'm taking this for a refresher then signing up for the Friday and Saturday 7-11pm sessions. I don't imagine these will be anxiety-inducing sessions. You're among friends. Jump in and have fun!

slamonella on
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The Learn to Play program is great. While waiting for game openings last year I chatted up some people from the learn to play line. Some were completely new and some just had never played this edition. A fair amount were also nervous.

I think those of us who are judging (I don't know if I am, but applied for a couple of learn to play slots) understand that the people coming into that, simply don't know but want to. That can be intimidating, but this is the perfect environment to learn. You know all the other players are in basically the same place, and the guy running the game has done this before.

I can't speak for the other judges but I've taught a lot of people to play D&D. People sit down thinking it will be hard to learn the rules. For the most part, you learn new rules as needed. The hardest thing for new players is that you don't have to know all the rules to play. The hard limitations in video games don't exist here. Anything you can do in reality, you can attempt to do in D&D, and more. You'll never find a door you can't open because an artist hasn't designed it yet.

If you want to throw a banana at a monkey, because you have a banana and there's a monkey, and that just makes sense to you, it does not matter that there's no rules describing that action. Go ahead and throw the banana. Something interesting might just happen.

As far as watching, people have different comfort levels with that. I don't have an issue with it. We've had boyfriends/girlfriends/spouses watch with fascination in my homegames. There were definitely some carriers on at PAX last year as well. Never bothered me, though I know some who it may annoy.

All in all, PAXers are generally distracted with their immediate distractions and a bit harder to annoy than at other times.

Scorpius on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Scorpius wrote: »
    If you want to throw a banana at a monkey, because you have a banana and there's a monkey, and that just makes sense to you, it does not matter that there's no rules describing that action. Go ahead and throw the banana. Something interesting might just happen.

this is exactly what i find so intriguing, the openness of the gameplay. it sounds like a lot of fun to play, but i'm also curious to do some observing and see how others handle all that freedom.

As far as watching, people have different comfort levels with that. I don't have an issue with it. We've had boyfriends/girlfriends/spouses watch with fascination in my homegames. There were definitely some carriers on at PAX last year as well. Never bothered me, though I know some who it may annoy.

i can definitely see how some people wouldn't want to be gawked at like some sort of spectacle, but i'm hoping that in the context of PAX people will understand that i'm only gawking because i think what they're doing is totally cool. i guess i'll just see what the vibe is like and try to muster my courage for a learn-to-play session!

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    If you get there, and your still not comfortable jumping in or gawking find someone with a smart phone. I'm planning to run at least one game in the free play area as well. I'll be tweeting my movements for things like that, @BrianLiberge. If I can pinpoint a certain time ahead of start it'll be in my OMG PAX IS LIKE TOMORROW article on StufferShack.com

That sounds kind of arrogant and self promotional, which is unintentional. But really, thats the best way to find out when I'm running something unofficial and I have no issue gently reminding people that gawkers is part of the way PAXers show their respect for what you do.

EDIT: Thats an open offer to anyone really

Scorpius on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    consider yourself twitter-followed, sir. thanks!

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Followed!

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    MangoProjectsMangoProjects Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    me too. Followed! @mangoprojects is following @BrianLiberge

MangoProjects on
    I create images with IMPACT.
  • Options
    Hand of MystraHand of Mystra Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am not so interested in 4e, I can play it at home. I am interested in Pathfinder, Savage Worlds. 3.5 or learning Dread, Fudge, Dresden, Call of Cthulhu or Cthulhu Tech.
    PM me

Hand of Mystra on
  • Options
    xipetotecxipetotec Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am not so interested in 4e, I can play it at home. I am interested in Pathfinder, Savage Worlds. 3.5 or learning Dread, Fudge, Dresden, Call of Cthulhu or Cthulhu Tech.
    PM me

I too would love to get into a CoC or maybe Dread game if anyone is running one...

xipetotec on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    emf715 wrote: »
    Any opportunities for a D&D noob? I haven't played since 4th grade ( a long time ago), but this seems like a great time to get back into it...

Running a Learn to Play event every two hours. This is a great event to get you back into D&D!

Willi Burger on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    so i have basically no experience and very limited knowledge about d&d, but i'm super curious. is it weird/rude to just hang around and watch people play? i'm nervous about giving it a try in such a public forum, but i think i'd really enjoy watching how the gameplay functions, then maybe trying it out with some friends in a less anxiety-inducing setting.

Feel free to come and watch if you want. I think you'll find that sitting down with a bunch of other folks at a Learn to Play session isn't really anxiety-inducing though. All the players are there to learn and the judge is there to teach and bring people into the hobby.

Feel free to watch and maybe join in. Whatever makes you comfortable.

Willi Burger on
  • Options
    browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Thanks for posting! And for organizing again. Me and three of my friends played at one of the getting started sessions last year and it was the beginning of a whole new world for us! I'm looking forward to coming back as a mildly-more-experienced player this year and joining another game. :)

browncoatbeth on

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Anyone know a good way to flat pack jenga? The tube takes up so much space?

lucek on
  • Options
    GM aceGM ace Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    If there is enough of an interest I'd probably be willing to run an Eberron one-shot (or maybe two-shot) in the free-play, although it is my understanding that Keith Baker is going to be on the loose in Boston and may be up to some shenanigans of his own. Who knows? :P

And I'll throw another hat in the ring for People Interested in the Dresden Files RPG. Not sure if I could run it, but at the very least it'd be awesome to collaborate with people to build a Dresdenverse version of Boston!

GM ace on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    A thought has occurred to me. My original plan was to get there on Friday, at 7 AM. I want a good seat for the keynote, I'm a geek like that. Lots of people were there just as early last year.

Well three hours in line is a lot of time. But its not bad for a session of DnD.

Because we love our enforcers, and don't want to take up to much space in line, there would be no huge, erase-able battle mat. I'd have graph paper maps. You describe where you are in the room, and its mostly in your head. I played 3.5 like that for quite some time and I have no issue playing 4th like that. Call it old school if you will but its still fun.

Would people be up for that?

Scorpius on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I was planning to bring some games for the line as well. I was more thinking that a Steve Jackson type game might work better but a 3 hour d&d session would also work.

lucek on
  • Options
    SoCo_and_LimeSoCo_and_Lime Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    A thought has occurred to me. My original plan was to get there on Friday, at 7 AM. I want a good seat for the keynote, I'm a geek like that. Lots of people were there just as early last year.

Well three hours in line is a lot of time. But its not bad for a session of DnD.

Because we love our enforcers, and don't want to take up to much space in line, there would be no huge, erase-able battle mat. I'd have graph paper maps. You describe where you are in the room, and its mostly in your head. I played 3.5 like that for quite some time and I have no issue playing 4th like that. Call it old school if you will but its still fun.

Would people be up for that?

I haven't played paper d&d in almost a decade, and I'll be hung over as shit if everything goes as planed at the pokecrawl.

If you can deal with those two, I'd love to join. I'll even bring coffee...lots of coffee.

SoCo_and_Lime on
    [x] Bolt Bus
    [x] Radisson Hotel Boston
    [x] Pre-Pax Dinner
    [x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass

• Options
    nduggzznduggzz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    hey i know this is been said 1 billion and a half times but will there be poeple there to start noobs off and maybe help create characters?????
    sorry for beeing such a moronic noob

nduggzz on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    nduggzz wrote: »
    hey i know this is been said 1 billion and a half times but will there be poeple there to start noobs off and maybe help create characters?????
    Yes.

"D&D Learn-to-Play. Want to learn how to play D&D 4th Edition? We’ll teach you all the basics, and send you out on your first adventure! Everything is provided for you, and you can even keep your character. A 2 hour D&D 4th Edition play experience.

Runs Friday 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 5 pm, 7 pm and 9 pm; Saturday 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 5 pm, 7 pm, and 9 pm; Sunday 11 am, 1 pm, and 3 pm."

slamonella on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    No issues from me Soco. 4th edition has by far been the easiest D&D I've taught, and works best by jumping in and playing. I've even got my hat in to judge a few official learn to play sessions. I'm thinking something lower level heroic, classic crawl style, so there shouldn't be too much to confuse people.

Line D&D
    When: Friday, 7 AM
    DM: Scorpius
    Players: Soco & Lime, lucek
    Backup:

Scorpius on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    No issues from me Soco. 4th edition has by far been the easiest D&D I've taught, and works best by jumping in and playing. I've even got my hat in to judge a few official learn to play sessions. I'm thinking something lower level heroic, classic crawl style, so there shouldn't be too much to confuse people.

Line D&D
    When: Friday, 7 AM
    DM: Scorpius
    Players: Soco & Lime
    Backup:

Maybe: lucek

Sounds cool. I'll to be there. Let me know when you've got a LVL so I don't have to be shuffling with books in line. I also have an idea on what to do for a dice roller.

lucek on
  • Options
    SketchStoneSketchStone Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Yes.

With regards to the learn to play sessions, are these also 'wait in line' deals now, or is there a way to pre-sign up for them in advance? I only ever played D&D once, long ago and this is the perfect way to rediscover it :)

SketchStone on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Yes to both questions.

We're running Learn to Play all weekend. We will have the Character Builder up and running to help you make characters. We'll also have folks available to help and answer questions.

Willi Burger on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yes.

With regards to the learn to play sessions, are these also 'wait in line' deals now, or is there a way to pre-sign up for them in advance? I only ever played D&D once, long ago and this is the perfect way to rediscover it :)

We got so many complaints about the sign-ups last year that everything is "wait in line" this year.

Willi Burger on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    We're still looking for more DMs for D&D. I've still got a number of badges left for DMs as well.

Please sign up at www.williburger.com/JudgeReg

Willi Burger on
  • Options
    FoggyKnightFoggyKnight Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Woot, I found a site with the 2010 PAX east celebrity game on podcast. Listening to the second part now :)

FoggyKnight on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    PAX East 2011 DM’s Challenge Information

The Challenge will take place on Saturday from 7:00 p.m. until 11:00 p. m.

To register as a DM, go to www.williburger.com/JudgeReg.pdf or send me a private message.

We had a large challenge last year with all the DMs' offerings being very well received. We'd like to see even more DMs this year!

“Dragon’s Lair” Rules

Adventure Design
    DMs must create an adventure suitable for five 8th-level characters (actual group size may vary from 4-6 players) using the D&D rules, with a spotlight on a unique and fantastic dragon and its lair.

The adventure should play in about 4-5 hours, including time for the players to review characters. You should write approximately 3 tactical encounters for your adventure; you must write at least 2 tactical encounters, but no more than 4. Tactical encounters can be fights or other deadly challenges (like traps). Levels for the encounters should not be lower than 7 or higher than 10; you should endeavor to write a total of about 25 levels' worth of tactical encounters (that would parse out into two 8th-level fights and one 9th-level fight).

Your adventure should be set in and around a dragon’s lair, and should include a showdown with a draconic foe. You can develop any story or setting you’d like for the lair, and you should use Monster Vault or Monster Manual 3 for dragons and other monster designs (or as a design guide for your own). Add exploration and roleplaying encounters to your adventure to really make it come to life beyond the tactical encounters.

Materials
    You are expected to provide player characters for players to use for your adventure. The characters should all be 8th level, and you should bring 6 different characters. Make sure to account for a play group of 4, 5, or 6 characters when you write your characters and the adventure.

You are required to bring all materials with you that you'll need to run your adventure - maps/tiles, minis/tokens, player character sheets, etc. If you’d like to use D&D Fortune Cards, you can bring cards and develop a use for them in-game (draw from a central deck, integrate them as boons earned during the adventure, etc.).

Judging
    Each player at your table will be given a form to complete after they finish playing. On the form, they'll be asked to rate you on the following categories:

Presentation
    Story
    Challenges
    Characters
    Fun Factor

Rewards
    Because we love our DMs so much, and know you put a lot of hard work into your adventure, just for showing others a good time you'll get a recent hardcover book release as a thanks for participating! In addition, the DM with the best overall rating in the categories above will be awarded a SWEET PRIZE, which will be unveiled at the show. It will be cool, I promise.

Willi Burger on
This discussion has been closed.