As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

High Score - The sitcom about gamers.

• Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I thought Ctrl+alt+del was okay, but then there was this 25 or so page topic on why Buckley sucks in the PVP forum and I learned all of this stuff.

And I didn't realize most of the stuff he did actually came from other webcomics first.

I was iggnant.

And knowing is half the battle.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2007
    Cymoro is banned for forum raiding. Core Tactic is banned for incitement. Have a nice day.

Tube on
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I recall Buckley wanting to set up a battlefield server and some forum members paid a bit of money to support that. Some say Buckley sucked at the game and didn't like it or whatever so he shut down the server without informing anyone and kept the money he got and used it for something else. Nobody ever saw any of the money back.

Oh and naturally he bans people who talk about that.

*sigh* He can actually make some nice art if he wants but CAD is just ctrl c/v.

Isorn on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cymoro is banned for forum raiding. Core Tactic is banned for incitement. Have a nice day.

Saw that coming.

I considered trying to (constructively) offer some advice on their forum, but I decided it wasn't worth it. It looks like they simply don't want to hear anything negative.

The other problem is that there's very little to be constructive about. It's not like the thing was well written, but poorly produced. Every aspect of it needs a lot of work. They need to come up with a decent script, they need to establish characters, they need to fix the awful, awful pacing, they need to get the sound right, they need to get better at acting (at least to the extent where they're not looking at the damn camera), they should be concerned about the sheer volume of material they're including to which they don't own the copyright, they need to at least rest the camera on some kind of solid object (you don't even need to buy a tripod. Rest it on a pile of books on a table or something).

Finally, they need to find some actual humour to work in there. I don't know if it's my sense of humour or what, but half of what I suspect were meant to be the jokes are this particular group's favourite in-jokes (like the thumb wrestling thing, what the hell was that meant to be about?).

There's simply nothing you can point to and go; "this is good, build on this."

japan on
  • Options
    The TommyThe Tommy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    <OFF-TOPIC>

About the CAD guy being a dick to his forums:
    I seem to remember hearing that Gabe shut down the original PA forums after some stupid shit. I don't know if it's the same thing as on CAD, though.

The Tommy on
    modestmousesig2ab5.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    All I know is that one time some developer from Bungie (iirc) came in, made a thread, and he was flamed to hell because nobody knew it was a developer; everyone thought it was just a random Bungie fanboy. Gabe/Tycho got superpissed about that, but I don't think they ever shut it down.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The Tommy wrote:
    <OFF-TOPIC>

You clearly know it's off topic, so why are you posting it? This isn't a thread about CAD guys. Oxygen of publicity and all that.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Well, it was part of the discussion, and I was kind of curious about the whole thing anyways. Sorry.

The Tommy on
    modestmousesig2ab5.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Actually I'm sorry, I didn't mean to get at you, it's not your fault at all. This should be steering back towards the topic though.

Tube on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ok. I need an ego boost. Someone please tell me if my video is better than their show. It's from 2000, and was really funny when shown to friends, and horrible when shown to strangers. It aged horribly and I cringe a bit awhile watching it (but yet love it because it's me).

I don't want to watch the show at work and by comparison I'll know just how horrible the OP's show is.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SniperGuy wrote:
    I haven't watched the OP's show yet, so this is really off-topic, but... Why is there so much disdain for CAD on these forums? I mean, it's not the greatest comic in the world, but I've read it off-and-on for a couple of years, and never found it to be TOO offensive.

Was there something in particular that Tim Buckley did to piss off the general populace of the PA forums, or is this a "my comic is better than your comic" thing? I'm just genuinely curious. Not defending either side, you're all welcome to hate whatever you want.

I hate him because he's a total douche. He went and made a WoW guild, then got drunk, and decided he didn't want to play, and disbanded the guild.

So yeah, the man is a hack and a douche.
    Also, he can't draw or write.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    slash000 wrote:
    All I know is that one time some developer from Bungie (iirc) came in, made a thread, and he was flamed to hell because nobody knew it was a developer; everyone thought it was just a random Bungie fanboy. Gabe/Tycho got superpissed about that, but I don't think they ever shut it down.
    I think it was actually an I Love Bees post with a new clue, and the real hubbub was over all the new users registering and posting without reading the rules. More like PAFAQs and such.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    agoaj wrote:
    slash000 wrote:
    I think it was actually an I Love Bees post with a new clue, and the real hubbub was over all the new users registering and posting without reading the rules. More like PAFAQs and such.

The forums being taken down was waaay pre-ILB, because I was here during ILB.

The Tommy on
    modestmousesig2ab5.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The Tommy wrote:
    agoaj wrote:
    slash000 wrote:

The forums being taken down was waaay pre-ILB, because I was here during ILB.
    the guy came on to advertise some new update/patch for halo 2 i think..yeah..it was bad

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SC wrote:
    He was also a right dick to all his forum members so there's a lot of bad blood there.

i remember that. that was fucking heinous what he did. If I remember correctly, someone asked when the next CAD comic was going to be, and rightfully so, as the comic hadnt been up in a bit.

i think the guy got banned or something. it was a long time ago, so i dont remember, but it was worse than I can explain.

i remember when he came out with that cartoon on his paysite, and Penny-Arcade came out with it's ultimate membership that could be joined by coming to the site. Burn.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Man this shit is fucking terrible.

Meiz on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SC wrote:
    He was also a right dick to all his forum members so there's a lot of bad blood there.

i remember that. that was fucking heinous what he did. If I remember correctly, someone asked when the next CAD comic was going to be, and rightfully so, as the comic hadnt been up in a bit.

i think the guy got banned or something. it was a long time ago, so i dont remember, but it was worse than I can explain.

i remember when he came out with that cartoon on his paysite, and Penny-Arcade came out with it's ultimate membership that could be joined by coming to the site. Burn.

Well to be honest, PA used to do a "Special membership" thing back in the day. But I think it was based on donations. And PA is cool while CTD sucks...
    As for the PA forum shutdown, I heard a story of someone calling Gabes wife something he didnt like, which prompted him to close the forum...

And not to diverge too far off topic.... those fucking videos make me want to gauge my eyes out. Kinda like that dude in Event Horizon....

muninn on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Reynolds wrote:
    Cymoro wrote:
    stigweard wrote:

"...you get 44 for stabbing a wounded guy."

Awesome. :lol:

I didn't watch whatever crap this person came to whore out, but the video linked here was awesome. As awesome as anything in French can be.
    It got mild chuckles from me most of the way. Then I got to the part where the guy in the boba fett helmet was fucking the paladin in the ass. Then I got a boner.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't understand the CAD hate. He's a guy with a webcomic, sometimes it's funny and sometimes it's not. *shrug*

EDIT: These sitcoms suck, hard. See? On topic.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wow.

Dude, there's already a sitcom about Gaming. It's called Pure Pwnage. Which, at the very least, is watchable.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    kedinik wrote:
    I don't understand the CAD hate. He's a guy with a webcomic, sometimes it's funny and sometimes it's not. *shrug*

EDIT: These sitcoms suck, hard. See? On topic.
    clearly you and i have different definition of 'funny'. i have seriously never laughed at a CAD comic. Just as i didnt laugh at this show.

See there how i got it back on topic?

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Zampano wrote:
    Wow.

Dude, there's already a sitcom about Gaming. It's called Pure Pwnage. Which, at the very least, is watchable.

Pretty much. You guys have got the interest and you want to do a show, so.. learn how to, first.

Watch pure pwnage. Watch and learn.

www.purepwnage.com

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    There is something good about this: they will never get popular, and will soon fade away.

rayofash on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    watching TV about video games is about as fun as playing video games about watching TV

edit: the ONE exception is purepwnage, I love that shit

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Fallout wrote:
    watching TV about video games is about as fun as playing video games about watching TV

edit: the ONE exception is purepwnage, I love that shit

20040927h.jpg

Taramoor on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I was expecting something like Mega64 (which wasn't the best, but a nice distraction good for a laugh, especially the metal gear riff). I feel sad now for watching that. And the opening page when you click on his link was deceptive; it made the site look better than it is.

Anyways, Scott Kurtz is the best for making the Batman-My parents are dead comic. I've never laughed more at any comic than I did at that one.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    that was pretty unfunny, unimaginative, and unoriginal.

but like others said, already having 3 half-hour episodes up and done shows some decent determination.

now all you need to do is...make it not suck.

Kriz on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Ok. I need an ego boost. Someone please tell me if my video is better than their show. It's from 2000, and was really funny when shown to friends, and horrible when shown to strangers. It aged horribly and I cringe a bit awhile watching it (but yet love it because it's me).

I don't want to watch the show at work and by comparison I'll know just how horrible the OP's show is.

That was funny, and is comparably Beethoven's 9th symphony to that sitcom's Justin Timberlake's any song, and to clarify, I love Beethoven's 9th symphony.

That god awful Dr.Mario skit went on way too long. I stopped after that, but I can imagine the rest of the show is like if Family Guy drew out its little flashbacks for as long as it possibly could.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    watchiing things like this make me ponder:

does the happiness kevin smith's jokes have brought me outweigh my hatred for every hack he inspired?

[spoiler:c1949fe0e6] not anymore, no. [/spoiler:c1949fe0e6] :(

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Kriz wrote:

but like others said, already having 3 half-hour episodes up and done shows some decent determination.

My first pet peeve is the sound.

Before anything else, the factor that reveals you to be an amateur is shitty sound.

If the OP'er is still around: Get some shotgun mikes and booms.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Kriz wrote:

My first pet peeve is the sound.

Before anything else, the factor that reveals you to be an amateur is shitty sound.

If the OP'er is still around: Get some shotgun mikes and booms.

I don't think he's ever coming back.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, we didn't offer to suck his cock, so he hit the road.

Dirty on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    This thread reminds me of this thread on the SA forums. It's been bugging me all day how similar they are, to the point of thinking they were about the same video. But they're not.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:
    This thread reminds me of this thread on the SA forums. It's been bugging me all day how similar they are, to the point of thinking they were about the same video. But they're not.

When did sa get the drat loving poo poo filter? Do you have to be logged in to get pas that ?

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I don't frequent SA so I have no idea what you're talkking about.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Don't be a rear end with a top hat. Anyone can plainly see that those poo poo mother loving rear ends don't write like this. I was just curious when they added the inane content filter. I haven't really frequented much since they went pay for play.

stigweard on
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    the OP watches Studio 60 on the sunset strip.

all credibility is lost.

also another thumbs up to pure pwnage for doing the web-gamer-comic-sitcom thing right.

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    ThelloThello Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    stigweard wrote:
    Don't be a rear end with a top hat. Anyone can plainly see that those poo poo mother loving rear ends don't write like this. I was just curious when they added the inane content filter. I haven't really frequented much since they went pay for play.
    If you don't have an account, you get the filter.

As for this video, by the fouth episode you should've found your niche and stuck with it. Instead, you meander around through several minutes of first-person camera exercises and a way-too-long title sequence. Your video is more than half over by the time all this happens.

Then when we're finally getting somewhere, we're in a machinima sequence. This wouldn't be so bad if the very obviously chroma-keyed characters weren't horrendously out of scale with poorly-looped animations.

Finally, you need somebody else to write your dialogue. It's unnatural, it isn't funny, and it really feels like you're reading directly off the page.

Thello on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Nalouto wrote:
    the OP watches Studio 60 on the sunset strip.

all credibility is lost.

also another thumbs up to pure pwnage for doing the web-gamer-comic-sitcom thing right.

yeah what an idiot, watching a show written by one of the most lauded television drama writers of the last ten years.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Thello wrote:
    a way-too-long title sequence. Your video is more than half over by the time all this happens.
    Again, the episode is a set of youtube videos. So "half of the video is the intro" is because that's only the first of multiple videos. Or so I hear. I haven't watched them. The top right cast picture on the site is ugly as shit, though.

Also, another vote for Pure Pwnage. Very well done.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png