As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Space Alert owns. Like, a lot.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    ElderCat wrote:
    Played my first real game of Death Angel Last night, 4 player. I was the assault cannon team. Things went incredibly well, except I could not roll a skull with him until the last round. The stars of the show until the last round were the Heavy flamer who always rolled a 4 and Lightning claw with a heroic charge every other round. By the 3rd travel we were down 3 guys and it was looking bad, my assault cannon was in the middle of the formation with the orange and red terrain cards on either side of him just hoping to get lucky off of overwatch and attacking. I got a lucky second wind to survive a turn with a 4 swarm and a 2 swarm, managed to clear them out, and we traveled to the Genestealer hive. And then, it got EPIC! Right after traveling I made all 3 shots to kill the first brood lord, and Brother Lightning Claws Heroic Charged the last room and finally after like 8 times rolled a 0, but it didn't matter, we had won.

I don't know what any of this means but it seems very cool.

• Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    Endaro wrote:
    ElderCat wrote:
    Played my first real game of Death Angel Last night, 4 player. I was the assault cannon team. Things went incredibly well, except I could not roll a skull with him until the last round. The stars of the show until the last round were the Heavy flamer who always rolled a 4 and Lightning claw with a heroic charge every other round. By the 3rd travel we were down 3 guys and it was looking bad, my assault cannon was in the middle of the formation with the orange and red terrain cards on either side of him just hoping to get lucky off of overwatch and attacking. I got a lucky second wind to survive a turn with a 4 swarm and a 2 swarm, managed to clear them out, and we traveled to the Genestealer hive. And then, it got EPIC! Right after traveling I made all 3 shots to kill the first brood lord, and Brother Lightning Claws Heroic Charged the last room and finally after like 8 times rolled a 0, but it didn't matter, we had won.

I don't know what any of this means but it seems very cool.

I know what it means and it is cool.

The flame thrower team is my favorite. Just burning genestealers erryday.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Claudio's team is not so hot. Suicide charge will fuck you over at some point.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Darian wrote:
    Two games of Through the Ages are finishing up/just finished over on boardgaming-online. Who wants to play in the next? Either send me a PM here or just speak up in the thread and I'll get you in.

I'll play! I think I did/am doing... not so terribly for a first game? Maybe?

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Darian wrote:
    Two games of Through the Ages are finishing up/just finished over on boardgaming-online. Who wants to play in the next? Either send me a PM here or just speak up in the thread and I'll get you in.

I'll play! I think I did/am doing... not so terribly for a first game? Maybe?

You might even be winning. Pretty sure I'm not, anyway.

• Options
    TmoiyTmoiy Registered User regular
    I would be happy to play another game of TtA.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    You won't know how you're doing in Through the Ages until you're done.

Seriously, you score a metric shit-ton of your total points in the endgame.

• Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    You're wrong about that Thanatos. I know exactly how I'm doing before the end of the game.

I'm losing. Usually badly. Just like someone earlier said about Stone Age, TTA is the game that I love the most and suck the worst.

steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'll play (and lose) another game of TtA.

• Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    Alright, I've got four for Through the Ages game 6: Darian, jakobagger, LeumasWhite, Tmoiy

Interest in game 7 should be directed to admanb

• Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    I'd like to have a chance to not completely suck in a game. :) Count me in for Game 7. I'll try to be more consistent in taking my turns this time.

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    I'd love to play another PA game of Through the Ages. I'm Mystic Juicer on the site.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    I'll create it tomorrow morning whether or not we get a fourth. Jacoby, what's your name there?

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So my favorite geeks.

I have stumbled across two games while searching randomly and i think that they look like fun. However, they are expensive and so I want to know if they are fun.

That being said.

Have any of you lovely chaps had any experience with either Yggdrasil or Letters From Whitechapel?

• Options
    Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I have Letters from Whitechapel and it sort of plays like an adult version of Scotland Yard. I've heard people say the same thing about Fury of Dracula, but that game is fairly rules-heavy, whereas Whitechapel is quite elegantly and simply designed. It's a fairly good game to play with people who have played a few boardgames before, but are still more comfortable with playing casual, simpler games.

There's quite a bit of bluffing and psychology involved, since just relying on pure deduction will usually not be enough to help the inspectors win.

Joe Dizzy on
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    Joe Dizzy wrote:
    I have Letters from Whitechapel and it sort of plays like an adult version of Scotland Yard. I've heard people say the same thing about Fury of Dracula, but that game is fairly rules-heavy, whereas Whitechapel is quite elegantly and simply designed. It's a fairly good game to play with people who have played a few boardgames before, but are still more comfortable with playing casual, simpler games.

There's quite a bit of bluffing and psychology involved, since just relying on pure deduction will usually not be enough to help the inspectors win.

That sounds like just the game for me to be terrible at. :)

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    AscensionGame.com has four of the new promo cards up. They're quite pricey at $2 each given they're just single cards (Aside from the leprechaun pack, which is $5 for 12 cards, which manages to STILL be pricey AND make the other ones look even more overpriced), but if you want to spice up you're game there's some neat effects there, especially the new 7 power monster.

Void Mesmer Promo - $2
    Nethersnare Promo - $2
    Leprechaun Pack - $5
    Kythis, the Gatekeeper Promo - $2

Sadly, Vedah, Sage of Swords, the Pathwarden and the Deep Drone promos are still sold out. The Rat King promo is still available from BoardGameGeek.com though, again $5 for 12 cards. Rat King looks particularly fun.

Like I said, they're fairly pricey, especially when you have to pay shipping on top of it, but I like that the company is actually offering the cards for sale for all those who can't make it to these events. I wish more companies did that. (coughWotCcough)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    GaebrilGaebril Registered User regular
    Here's a shot of Vlaada Chvatil's new deckbuilding game:

pic1083379_md.jpg
    Much bigger version

Check out all those bits! Draconum, Knight, Necro, and...? Lookin' good!

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    has anyone played Battleship Galaxies enough to make a puff/pass call on it?

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    has anyone played Battleship Galaxies enough to make a puff/pass call on it?

I have played two games of it so I don't know it's fun and fast but the problem is that night was just learning the game so I will harass them to give it another go

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Gaebril wrote:

pic1083379_md.jpg
    Much bigger version

Oh man, those mini's look so freaking awful. Brings back memories, for sure. I don't think there's any way I'll pick up something with the Mage Knight license on it again, though. They're dedicated to just raping that franchise into the ground.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Love the new forums, so much.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Who gives a shit about the license or the minis? It's Vlaada! That's enough reason to put it on my buylist.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Gaebril wrote:

pic1083379_md.jpg
    Much bigger version

That doesn't really look like a deckbuilding game...

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    BGG description:

"The WizKids Mageknight board games puts an entirely new spin on the traditional Deck Building game by framing it in an epic RPG-esque experience. Dubbed 'Deck building with a purpose', the Mageknight board game puts you in control of one of four powerful Mageknights as you explore (and conquer) a corner of the Mageknight universe under the control of the Atlantean Empire. Build your army, fill your deck with powerful spells and actions, explore caves and dungeons, and eventually conquer powerful cities controlled by this once-great faction! You will not be the only Mageknight traveling the land (unless you are playing by yourself!), and though opposing Mageknights may be powerful allies, only one will be able to claim the land as their own at the end of each campaign."

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Wait, what? A Mage Knight deckbuilding board game? Huh.

I still have hundreds of those minis.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Vlaada Chvatil? That's like instant preorder for me as I love all his games so far.

Edit: Looks like the Mage Knight fans are sad it's not really a Mage Knight game.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    WizKids bent that property over a table. I'm okay with them not going back to that model for now.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Is it just me or does this thread take exponentially longer to load than any other thread on this forum?

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Endaro wrote:
    Is it just me or does this thread take exponentially longer to load than any other thread on this forum?

That's because it's so full of mercy.

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    TmoiyTmoiy Registered User regular
    Endaro wrote:

I think long threads are taking more time. For some reason the Magic thread tends to take the longest for me though.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    admanb wrote:
    WizKids bent that property over a table. I'm okay with them not going back to that model for now.

If they ever bring back the minis game (even if it's not random-packs), I'll be playing it again so hard.

Black Powder Rebels 4 lyfe. That faction probably is what primed me for Warmachine.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So the new D&D mini skirmish game playtest is available. I haven't checked it out since I don't have a lot of mini's anyway, but from what I hear it's pretty easy to get into the playtest.
    http://wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/20110906

• Options
    poshniallo wrote:
    That doesn't really look like a deckbuilding game...

Exactly! Isn't it great? It's only now that we're starting to see deckbuilding games that aren't just Dominion clones.

For another example of non-clone deckbuilding, check out A Few Acres of Snow, from Martin Wallace

pic1056250_md.jpg

• Options
    I loved Mageknight back in its heyday (which I define as, right before MK2.0 came out and killed it). It was really poorly balanced though, or perhaps it was too well-balanced towards the objective of selling boosters. Honestly? There are better games now, and I'm happy to own those instead.

But what, life goes on, and it's nice to see the old setting again, even with new mechanics. Because make no mistake, Vlaada's Mageknight is a totally different game.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Gaebril wrote:
    I loved Mageknight back in its heyday (which I define as, right before MK2.0 came out and killed it). It was really poorly balanced though, or perhaps it was too well-balanced towards the objective of selling boosters. Honestly? There are better games now, and I'm happy to own those instead.

At least you didn't get negative VP if the TO thought you were playing a "cheesy" list.

Hey-o, comp scores. I still loved some of the figures it had for it. I mean, a giant with dwarves mounted on it's shoulders with cannons? Sold.

On a different note, got a chance to play Elder Sign a bunch tonight. I was kind of shaky on it before, but now that I've got two games in I really dig it.

Some of the adventures can be a bitch, especially due to how you lose a green dice out of your die pool every time you fail to complete a task. Fuck the Curator right in his fucking face, we had a ton of trouble completing his one task that involved getting three scrolls. I'm pretty sure he killed at least three or four characters due to his At Midnight ability too.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    I am starting to put together a big order with my friends to ship from the US.

My part will probably be:

Thunderstone Dragonspire (I have the base set in Japanese, so this seems like a good version for my Nipponically-challenged friends)
    Rune Age
    Ascending Empires
    Star Trek: Fleet Captains

Anyone got any thoughts on these games? ST:FC won't be out for a few weeks, but it'll take my friends a few weeks to work out which Arkham Horror expansions they don't already have.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Ascending Empires is a lot of fun, and I can't wait to try ST: FC - it looks like it's really awesome.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote:
    On a different note, got a chance to play Elder Sign a bunch tonight. I was kind of shaky on it before, but now that I've got two games in I really dig it.

I keep going back and forth about this game. I'd really like a Lovecraft-themed game, and I won't play one that's really long, but then I read things like this:
    Picking an adventure is pretty simple and not perplexing. If dice are locked up you go for an easy one, if you have allies and items to increase your dice count then go ahead and use them.

The penalties for not tackling most adventures in a timely fashion is nothing, literally they provide no penalty. The need to go to the shop is negligible, as completing adventures gives you a ton of stuff so wasting trophies on items rather than elder signs is pointless.

A character dying only means you bring a new one out into play, so unless you are particularly attached to your guy the need to waste trophies to heal them is pointless. Plus, if playing with a few characters you will find that healing is easy.

There is no tension in this game, and if there is it is solely through rolling poor dice.

Yes there is a thin veneer of decisions here, but they really are just that a veneer. othing substantial.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    A character dying only means you bring a new one out into play, so unless you are particularly attached to your guy the need to waste trophies to heal them is pointless. Plus, if playing with a few characters you will find that healing is easy.

People keep saying this makes the game too easy but it is just as easy to house rule it out and make death permanant. That would add a little more tension to the game.

This discussion has been closed.