As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2010 (NSFW)

wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Artist's Corner
Welp, it's the end of the year. So just going to throw a bunch of my less shitty pictures into one place. Also, I am going to be entering several annuals this year and if you had to pick 3 pictures which ones would you guys choose?

Also to put these in perspective, I made at least 70 illustrations this year. I have around another 60 I never finished.

blind.jpg

This is a commissioned piece also going to be in an ImagineFX issue as a mini workshop
mermaid.jpg

These three pictures were done for a gallery show in my local town
cardiacarrest.jpgheartbeat.jpgbenumb.jpg

For shits and giggles
deepblue.jpg

Private piece
"Not Asking For forgiviness, Not asking For Charity"
notasking.jpg

more fantasy
fairy.jpg

And I am aware of the problems with the hand and long arm
pleasesaveme.jpg

inspired by monet's sunsets
monet.jpg

Cus Im just so lucky
itsashame.jpg

um
adored.jpg

dontneedyou.jpg

theydontloveyou.jpg

And starcraft
queenofblades.jpg

wakkawa on

• wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Also I am working on making these smaller. D:

wakkawa on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    How dare you try to make those smaller.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    my 3 choices:

feathery green one ( dontneedyou.jpg )
    dark water mermaid ( deepblue.jpg ) (but i feel like the composition could be improved - think she needs to be less bright, and less big in the picture.)
    annnnnd
    suicidegirl being fondled by creepy alien guy ( pleasesaveme.jpg ) though i think the blue halos really subtract from the image - they're a bit distracting.

your best background by far is in the first mermaid one, though. i'd love to see you do a background on your starcraft one - maybe with a horde of zerglings following?

though, if it were here i'd choose it - but the one with the uh, like victorian style ladies .. i think there were 3 ladies out in the sun? maybe that was last year, though - but i love that piece of yours especially.

mully on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ah man I don't want to really comment on which three you should submit, but I do want to say it's awesome to see your stuff in one place, and I hope you continue to post more of your past work in here. You are a pretty inspirational artist on this forum, and I wish I had half the ability you have at making things come together and just straight up producing cool images.

rts on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i reckon you to be one of the most talented (or should i say most hard-working?) people on this forum. Truly inspirational stuff. it's great that you're not just going for accuracy but also include some kind of atmosphere/ composition.
    The number of works you produce shoves my face in the fact that i don't spend enough time drawing and practicing.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • MuddyParasolMuddyParasol Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    All of them are great, but if I had to pick only three...

1. The Queen of Blades, I might be a little biased being a big starcraft fan, but fandom aside it's a gorgeous piece. My eyes are drawn right away to her face, which is simple but powerfully drawn. Her pose is just right, I can really get the sense of her mood at a glance.
    queenofblades.jpg

2. Please Save Me. It has a spooky romanticism that I really enjoy. I like the little ghoul hanging on to the leg of the bigger ghoul, I didn't see him at first, but when I did it brought a smile to my face. There's a lot going on in this piece (in a good way), it gets you thinking of all types of stories. I agree with Mully that I find the blue halo distracting, but overall a great work.
    pleasesaveme.jpg

3. Not Asking. It's a powerful image. She seems almost contemplative, so much so that at first it caught me off guard when I realized she had run herself through.
    notasking.jpg

MuddyParasol on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    Wakka, your use off light is pretty much dazzling.
    These are my three:
    mermaid.jpg
    pleasesaveme.jpg
    monet.jpg

Mostly because I think the atmosphere in these images are particularly great, They stick with me alittle more than the vague backgrounds. Really awesome to see this stuff not in the doodle thread. You are a machine.

Iruka on
  • feebsiclefeebsicle a feebs Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My three picks are:

1. The Mermaid
    This is just overall a great composition. It is dynamic and draws the eye right down through the action arc through her body. Nice and flowy.
    mermaid.jpg

2. Not Asking
    I think this is the oddest of the bunch, which is why it sticks out to me. It's gentle despite what is happening. The profile view has a completely voyeuristic feel to it. It's really unsettling (which is a good thing IMO). At the same time, it is really beautiful.
    notasking.jpg

3. urgh
    It was actually a tie between Monet and Please Save Me. I can't really make up my mind about one or the other. The Monet one has got some really nice shapes and interesting use of space, and a nice bordering of environmental elements. Compositionally, I feel it is the better of the two.
    monet.jpg

However, Please Save Me has so much technical prowess. It really shows more of what you're capable of. I do feel there are some perspective issues, especially in the positioning of the ghouls. Yes, my eye is lost in the clutter of detail, but it's so lush with beautiful textures and patterns. I really enjoy the colour pallette as well. And the cloth is fantastic!
    pleasesaveme.jpg

feebsicle on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    this one is just badass!
    pleasesaveme.jpg

her hair is wikid. they should make this the cover art for the issue
    mermaid.jpg

Damn this ones awesome!
    notasking.jpg

These three because they show you can do various techniques ranging from ultra detail, fantasy illustration and more subtle and simplified work.

Your others are really good too, but they don't stand out as much for me.

Is your imaginefx mermaid piece going to include a video as part of the workshop?

winter_combat_knight on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i'm really surprised so many of you are choosing the "Not Asking" one - the katana girl
    i think that is probably my least favourite - i mean, obviously it's still great- even wakka's worst is a thousand billion times better than i could do (and i'm not saying this is a worst) - but it's so emotionless and flat compared to his other pieces.

and the yellow light on the face ... where is that even coming from? the blade between her wrists and stomach? it doesn't really seem ... appropriately placed, to me.

it doesn't feel like a finished piece, it feels like a preview of things to come.

wakka i hope you don't feel like i'm being a dick. I HAVE GOOD INTENTIONS!

mully on
    edited December 2010
    cake: Thanks! Though I don't think I am all that inspirational. My life drawings are fucking terrible. Not nearly as good as yours.

Hatter. Again, thanks! Painting is something I don't see as work or for fun. It is just something I need to do. Like breathing or eating.

Muddy. Do you think making the halo less bright would help with it being distracting? I added it in there because I needed something else to seperate the figures and thought it looked need.

Iruka. By dazzling, I am assuming you mean that in a "It makes no sense at all" kind of way. Cus, it really doesn't make any sense at all in most of the pictures. In a lot of them the shadows are being casted in completely different directions and I don't notice this until after I finish them.

I'm a bad artist and I should feel bad.

Seriously, who draws someone with a huge arm and 4 fingers?

Feebs: Thouse 4 are the ones I was debating myself. Thanks for pointing out the perspective on the ghoul, something I completely looked over.

WCK: Somewhere in my livestream there are videos of me working on the mermaid. I'll try to dig them up.

Mully: I'll be honest, you are the first person to say that picture lacks emotion. Well, I guess not. A lot of people have said that she isn't reacting to the sword, but if you look at it in a surreal sense. thats what I was going for. The lighting doesnt make any sense though in a realistic way. Conceptually it has a meaning,but it is lazy of me to not think of a way to incorporate it into the image in a better fashion.

EDIT: longlast.jpg

I need a job. :/

wakkawa on
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mermaid, Not asking for forgiveness, RED DRESS

EDIT: This might have been easier if you put up a poll.

(RED. DRESS.)

ninjai on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    wakkawa wrote: »
    Iruka. By dazzling, I am assuming you mean that in a "It makes no sense at all" kind of way. Cus, it really doesn't make any sense at all in most of the pictures. In a lot of them the shadows are being casted in completely different directions and I don't notice this until after I finish them.

I'm a bad artist

Coulda fooled me.

Mully: I'll be honest, you are the first person to say that picture lacks emotion. Well, I guess not. A lot of people have said that she isn't reacting to the sword, but if you look at it in a surreal sense. thats what I was going for. The lighting doesnt make any sense though in a realistic way. Conceptually it has a meaning,but it is lazy of me to not think of a way to incorporate it into the image in a better fashion.

I can sorta see where mully is coming from, mostly because I really admire that after watching you post for a long time, I think (I maybe delusional) that its easy to tell when theres is an emotion embedded in the work, but its with a light touch. Sword through the gut feels a little heavy handed, despite the surreal factors of her being so calm. That being said, I do really appreciate the drama, and it stands apart from your other work subject wise. Its always nice to see something that isn't "girl looking at viewer wistfully with various moods", I think you get alot of variety within that realm and you have an impressive touch, but at this point you could probably stand to experiment with concept just as much as technique.

Iruka on
    edited December 2010
    the first one is amazing. Haven't seen it before.

ninjai on
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    mully wrote: »
    i'm really surprised so many of you are choosing the "Not Asking" one - the katana girl
    i think that is probably my least favourite - i mean, obviously it's still great- even wakka's worst is a thousand billion times better than i could do (and i'm not saying this is a worst) - but it's so emotionless and flat compared to his other pieces.

You described exactly how I feel about it. What doesn't sell me on the piece is her grip of the sword and her expression. She seems to be gently caressing the hilt with a blank face. Apparently she exists in a parallel dimension where her body is superimposed over a sword. I think this could be a powerful piece, but you need to push it a little more, impaling yourself with a sword wouldn't be that emotionless of an experience.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • feebsiclefeebsicle a feebs Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Forbe! wrote: »

You described exactly how I feel about it. What doesn't sell me on the piece is her grip of the sword and her expression. She seems to be gently caressing the hilt with a blank face. Apparently she exists in a parallel dimension where her body is superimposed over a sword. I think this could be a powerful piece, but you need to push it a little more, impaling yourself with a sword wouldn't be that emotionless of an experience.

This is exactly why I LIKE this piece.
    It's so odd and out of place. The lighting is surreal. She is not reacting, rather, she is in some kind of emotional trance within her own thoughts. For me it works, despite the strange physicalities that don't seem right. That's what makes it interesting. It's very surreal and dreamlike. Like, if I turned in a hallway and immediately saw that in front of me, I'd feel like it was something more paranormal than real.

feebsicle on
  • MuddyParasolMuddyParasol Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Do you think making the halo less bright would help with it being distracting? I added it in there because I needed something else to seperate the figures and thought it looked need.

Yes, I think toning it down would fix it. If it was a little less bright I think it would still work in seperating the characters and not be as distracting.

MuddyParasol on
    edited December 2010
    Forbe! wrote: »

Its called symbolism. like she got stabbed a few minutes ago by now (see: super pale skiin), she knows she's going to die, she's solemnly coming to terms with it, and the soft grip on the hilt is a symbolic way of saying she accepts her fate.

Its not hard to understand the metaphor here.

Which is why I love that piece. Along with the title, its the whole acceptance of fate thing.

ninjai on
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ninjai wrote: »
    Its called symbolism.

Thanks, I didn't see that. I really appreciate it.

Symbolism/MetaPHOR aren't the correct words to use here.

Symbolism is representing something by infusing things with a symbolic meaning or character.

What is the metaphor in this piece? Please explain that to me.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited December 2010
    (he he, forgot there's no E, thanks) The metaphor can be a few things. The fact that its entitled "Not Asking For forgiviness, Not asking For Charity" and is a private piece, it isn't a stretch of the imagination that the image has hidden meaning. The sword could represent words/something that was said/a situation, the person could represent himself/a friend/an enemy, could be representative of being betrayed, or as I said, accepting fate.

I wasn't trying to start an argument, so please don't be offended, I was merely saying why I like the piece.

ninjai on
    edited December 2010
    It's not symbolism or metaphor. It's surrealism.

unexpected juxtapositions of emotions to physical state.

Late 1800s, early 1900s are my biggest inspirations in art. Applying the art theory of modernist artists to contemporary illustrations.

I am not interested in narratives.
    There goes a fairy tale.

Also, boobies.

wakkawa on
    edited December 2010
    Also, boobies.

Surrly? Didn't notice the boobies. :winky:

ninjai on
  • ocpmovieocpmovie Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Clearly you have done many, many amazing things in 2010, and my only opinion is that you need to do just as many amazing things in 2011.

I definitely see the late 1800s-early 1900s influence in the art and I really respond to that.

Will there be a 2010 book?

ocpmovie on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I counted the 2 side by side as seperate sooo.
    mermaid
    sword
    and you dreamed about me chick.
    I love them all but these jump at me.

NakedZergling on
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    These three pictures were done for a gallery show in my local town
    cardiacarrest.jpgheartbeat.jpgbenumb.jpg

I swear that once I get some extra income I'm going to order prints of all three of those from you.
    I must have them.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.