As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My couch is a goddamn Tesla coil

Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
My girlfriend and I got an excellent couch a while back. It is pretty huge, stylin', comfortable, and has a large sectional piece that is sort of triangular. It's great.

However, the microfiber of which it is made is apparently produces spectacular levels of static. Just now I went to the bathroom and went to flip the light on - and there was very audible CRACK and my finger was briefly numbed after a jolt of pain. Actually, it's still tingly.

This happens regularly. Using a blanket on the couch results in a terrifying chain of crackling, popping static bursts that directly contravene the desired comfort provided by blankets on the couch.

My girlfriend has tried a spray bottle of water, as suggested by a google search, with no success. We've tried the static guard spray, which smells horrible, seems threatening chemical, and had no real effect.

Does anyone have any solutions for this, hopefully before malevolent electrical imps make us into another mysterious case of spontaneous human combustion?

Evil Multifarious on

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A quick Google suggests water+fabric softener. (Test for color changes first.) Did you try that, or just plain water?
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4769257_of-static-electricity-microfiber-furniture.html

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Install a giant metal pole in the center of the couch. You'll be grounded and you'll also be able to practice your firefighter/pole dancer skills.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What about anti static dryer sheets?

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You could also get a humidifier, which makes breathing so much better!

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    agentk13agentk13 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    Invite the inlaws and sit back for the show.

Seriously, though, put some old metal lamppost right up against the thing. If it works, just get some laps that actually look good in the room and do the same thing. Cheap, simple, easy.

agentk13 on
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    are the covers removeable at all? A lot of the microfibre type blankets I've purchased say to wash before use, the couple times I forgot to resulted in super static-ness. If you can throw them in for a quick wash and then dry them with a couple anti-static dryer sheets that should help out

ihmmy on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Go for the humidifier. There is stuff like anti-static sprays, but why bother exposing yourself to aerosols when you can just make your sinuses happier?

Robman on
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    agentk13 wrote: »
    Invite the inlaws and sit back for the show.

Seriously, though, put some old metal lamppost right up against the thing. If it works, just get some laps that actually look good in the room and do the same thing. Cheap, simple, easy.

I want to say that I believe this to be faulty science. Couches are generally not sufficiently conductive to support a ground path through a lamp post.

Humidifier seems sensible in this case.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Are you using the StaticGuard stuff correctly? We use it on ours once every few months and it works great. Our cats are thrilled that we no longer shock the shit out of them every day when we go to pet them.

Do you have any fleece blankets that you use on/near the couch? Those generate a pretty good static charge on their own.

zilo on