As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cintiq, meet iMac

Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGERRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So.

Things have been pretty solid for me as of late, and it's about time where I've decided to take a plunge and get a Cintiq tablet. I've been using an iMac G5 for my machine, and tonight, I did a quick rundown of requirements for my desired new tablet...and the G5 does not seem to have the extra video out needed. D:

I've done some cursory looking about, and there seems to be a sort-of confirmation that these two devices are compatible, but nothing concrete. Er.

Has anyone out there tried to do what I'm doing? I really hate to drop the G5, because that would be expensive in its own right. Not to mention for my purposes it's perfect right now. Aside from getting a digital display tablet, that is...

I kinda had my heart set on doing this, but I'd hate to have to get a whole new machine at the same time.

Linespider5 on

• Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What are the specs? (CPU speed, size, etc).

From a quick look around, it seems like the G5 iMacs can, in fact, do video out. However, they only support it via mirroring. According to everymac.com it's only limited to mirroring because of firmware, so there are hacks available.

The other limitation may be that the G5 iMacs have a mini-VGA out. Don't think you'll be able to go mini-VGA -> DVI or whatever it is the Cintiq's use. (DVI I guess?)

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The saga continues!

wacomapple.jpg

As my findings have found, there IS a full fledged VGA adapter, and per my obsession I have screen capped the Wacom guy's burly arms to confirm the compatibility. So it appears I just need this fine little device, and all should be hunky dory.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Not quite - you're looking for Mini VGA to DVI, not Mini DVI to VGA.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Can you be more specific, say, a link of some kind? I scrounged the Apple site, I mean, see that small end on the adapter. That's my machine.

Only other thing close I can find is this, which doesn't even appear compatible for the Cintiq.

EDIT:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6121595_connect-cintiq-21ux-imac.html

so, it's a DVI-D to DVI-I adapter?

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm almost 100% certain you will not be able to connect a modern Cintiq to a G5 iMac. For video out you need the following Mini-VGA to VGA out. This is the only adapter that you can use. As far as I know there is no mini-VGA to DVI adapter that exists. You can't convert up to DVI from VGA.

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    D:D:D:D:D:

Aw, man.

I really wanted this thing. But I trust you conversion statement, that makes total sense.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    :)

This probably matters to no one but myself, but I'm just updating it here anyway.

Went and got the Cintiq, concerns be damned.

It works! Like, really. It took longer to hook all the cables up than it did to get to get the software together. Really ridiculously easy. So the iMac G5 handles a Cintiq just fine, at least in mirror mode. I haven't located separate screen options yet, since I've never had two screen before anyway, that's not such a huge deal. Pretty sure its a matter of options to get it right and little else.

So if anyone ever has an iMac G5 and is looking for a Cintiq tablet, there's no problem. Just needs a VGA adapter and you're all set.

Linespider5 on