As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New PATV Episode and Comic for Monday December 20th

1235»

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I gotta say, if a movie came out that played Nordic Mythology straight in all its Wagnerian romanticised glory I would watch it.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    I gotta say, if a movie came out that played Nordic Mythology straight in all its Wagnerian romanticised glory I would watch it.
    problem being, you can't do it justice in just one movie, and it's not a "well-known" enough property to get investors to commit to minimum-2 big-budget flicks

not to say it won't happen (if I'm ever a big famous hollywood dude you better believe I'mma go for it), but it's a tough sell

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    I mean, if you were trying to bring the Edda to life, I think that an argument could be made to make the cast completely, ethnically European, just from an anthropological standpoint.

Interestingly, if you were rolling with the theme of euhemerism put forward by Snorri Sturluson's writing, then all the gods should be vaguely Mediterranean.

Wiki

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    I mean, if you were trying to bring the Edda to life, I think that an argument could be made to make the cast completely, ethnically European, just from an anthropological standpoint.

Interestingly, if you were rolling with the theme of euhemerism put forward by Snorri Sturluson's writing, then all the gods should be vaguely Mediterranean.

Wiki

A lot of Christian scholars do this. And by a lot, I mean I know of one more who does, namely Saxo Grammaticus.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Norse Mythology is so finely wrapped up that you could reasonably get away with two awesome films covering the creation arc, the little stories, Balder's death and finally Ragnarok.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Zonugal wrote: »

Norse Mythology is so finely wrapped up that you could reasonably get away with two awesome films covering the creation arc, the little stories, Balder's death and finally Ragnarok.
    man ragnarok is fucking baller, that needs a movie all for itself

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Houk wrote: »

Nah man you need the build up for it. Plus you also don't want to bore your audience with just one battle scene for 90 minutes.

First movie ends with Loki hatching his scheme (sort of end it like the Two Towers with Gollum).

Second movie begins with him activating said plan and proceed from there.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    That'll be a depressing couple of movie, lads.

But fuck me will I ever watch them.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Nah man you need the build up for it. Plus you also don't want to bore your audience with just one battle scene for 90 minutes.

First movie ends with Loki hatching his scheme (sort of end it like the Two Towers with Gollum).

dude ragnarok is waay more than just one battle scene. hell literally breaks loose across the entire world. an entire pantheon of gods is killed in horrifically awesome ways. it's basically every gladiator movie, every monster movie, and every disaster movie ever conceived all rolled up into one unending blood-soaked orgy of death and destruction, and also orgies.

"The gods then do battle with the invaders: Odin is swallowed whole and alive fighting the wolf Fenrir, causing his wife Frigg her second great sorrow (the first being the death of her son, the god Baldr).[17] The god Freyr fights Surtr and loses. Odin's son Víðarr avenges his father by rending Fenrir's jaws apart and stabbing it in the heart with his spear, thus killing the wolf. The serpent Jörmungandr opens its gaping maw, yawning widely in the air, and is met in combat by Thor. Thor, also a son of Odin and described here as protector of the earth, furiously fights the serpent, defeating it, but Thor is only able to take nine steps afterward before collapsing. After this, people flee their homes, and the sun becomes black while the earth sinks into the sea, the stars vanish, steam rises, and flames touch the heavens.[18]"

I mean fuck...fuck! If we got anything less than two full hours of that, it would be good cause for a blood-frenzy

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Houk I will not back down from my stance. By Tyr's missing hand I will stand strong!

But just imagine this fucking scene brought to film...
    ragnarok_by_harrybuddhapalm.jpg

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Dang look at Bigfoot and the Crow just chillin' right there in the middle of things

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The way to do it is...

You create an account on Stormfront.

:lol:

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

dude ragnarok is waay more than just one battle scene. hell literally breaks loose across the entire world. an entire pantheon of gods is killed in horrifically awesome ways. it's basically every gladiator movie, every monster movie, and every disaster movie ever conceived all rolled up into one unending blood-soaked orgy of death and destruction, and also orgies.

"The gods then do battle with the invaders: Odin is swallowed whole and alive fighting the wolf Fenrir, causing his wife Frigg her second great sorrow (the first being the death of her son, the god Baldr).[17] The god Freyr fights Surtr and loses. Odin's son Víðarr avenges his father by rending Fenrir's jaws apart and stabbing it in the heart with his spear, thus killing the wolf. The serpent Jörmungandr opens its gaping maw, yawning widely in the air, and is met in combat by Thor. Thor, also a son of Odin and described here as protector of the earth, furiously fights the serpent, defeating it, but Thor is only able to take nine steps afterward before collapsing. After this, people flee their homes, and the sun becomes black while the earth sinks into the sea, the stars vanish, steam rises, and flames touch the heavens.[18]"

I mean fuck...fuck! If we got anything less than two full hours of that, it would be good cause for a blood-frenzy
    And all that sat by the fire were sad,
    Save Ogier, who was stern,
    And his eyes hardened, even to stones,
    As he took the harp in turn;

Earl Ogier of the Stone and Sling
    Was odd to ear and sight,
    Old he was, but his locks were red,
    And jests were all the words he said
    Yet he was sad at board and bed
    And savage in the fight.

"You sing of the young gods easily
    In the days when you are young;
    But I go smelling yew and sods,
    And I know there are gods behind the gods,
    Gods that are best unsung.

"And a man grows ugly for women,
    And a man grows dull with ale,
    Well if he find in his soul at last
    Fury, that does not fail.

"The wrath of the gods behind the gods
    Who would rend all gods and men,
    Well if the old man's heart hath still
    Wheels sped of rage and roaring will,
    Like cataracts to break down and kill,
    Well for the old man then--

"While there is one tall shrine to shake,
    Or one live man to rend;
    For the wrath of the gods behind the gods
    Who are weary to make an end.

"There lives one moment for a man
    When the door at his shoulder shakes,
    When the taut rope parts under the pull,
    And the barest branch is beautiful
    One moment, while it breaks.

"So rides my soul upon the sea
    That drinks the howling ships,
    Though in black jest it bows and nods
    Under the moons with silver rods,
    I know it is roaring at the gods,
    Waiting the last eclipse.

"And in the last eclipse the sea
    Shall stand up like a tower,
    Above all moons made dark and riven,
    Hold up its foaming head in heaven,
    And laugh, knowing its hour.

"And the high ones in the happy town
    Propped of the planets seven,
    Shall know a new light in the mind,
    A noise about them and behind,
    Shall hear an awful voice, and find
    Foam in the courts of heaven.

"And you that sit by the fire are young,
    And true love waits for you;
    But the king and I grow old, grow old,
    And hate alone is true."

Langly on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    There would have to be at least some viking metal in the score

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7zuSgLV_aA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aTXToluLU4

I was gonna link Twilight of the Gods because it's more fitting but it's also 14 minutes long

L|ama on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'd like to see that yellow "Aang Isn't White" shirt. :P

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ha, the CCC posted a story about the comic on their site, beware, there be dragons here.

That's rather close-minded of them... oh, wait...

Oh my god, what did they do to that picture of Roy Blount?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I hope we get a PATV ep about the dickerdoodles

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    the best thing about dickerdoodles is that the picture contest happens at the same time of year as the charity drive

so on the front page you have "please donate money to help sick children! And also send us pictures of you compromising your chastity with phallic cookies!"

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    There would have to be at least some viking metal in the score

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7zuSgLV_aA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aTXToluLU4

I was gonna link Twilight of the Gods because it's more fitting but it's also 14 minutes long
    If I was watching a serious Ragnarok movie and those songs came on and I heard those voices, I would start laughing and never stop

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    All this controversy and yet people don't give enough shit to the crap that was Too Human.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Faceless CowardFaceless Coward Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    TL:DR version:

Go on IMDB and look at the profiles for the people upset over casting a black man for a Norse God. These are the same guys who defended the casting of white actors for 21, DragonBall Evolution, The Last Airbender and others. Go to the CCC site attacking Penny-Arcade. It's full of inflammatory articles on non-whites. Yes it's only racists upset over this.

Copypasta of something I wrote earlier:
    What I find the most ironic things that if you go on IMDB, you would find that some of the harshest critics of Heimdall or Nick Fury being played by black actors are also some of the most stubborn defenders for the casting behind 21, Speed Racer, Dragonball Evolution, Prince of Persia, and The Last Airbender. I guess to these same posters the "racebending" isn't bad as long as it supports white privilege and eurocentricism.

Nothing-says-the-Prince-of-Persia-and-the-cast-of-Avatar-the-Last-Airbender-cant-be-white-Why-is-Nic.jpg?1290943299

I admit I was a little peeved by Heimdall's casting since in Norse mythology he is supposed to be the whitest of the Aesir. However after a moment, I learned to appreciate the irony and tongue in cheek reference. And Stringer Bell as a Norse God? That was just awesome.

Early on there were reports that Idris Elba was actually playing Loki. And the same controversy followed.

Take this guy who spams IMDB boards with semi-literate postings defending the casting behind DragonBall Evolution, Speed Racer, The Last Airbender and while incensed over casting black actors for white roles for Nick Fury, Daredevil, and Thor:
    Loki is white in the movie. It is one of the warrior three that is black.

again why have a token black man there?

norse Mythology is white

That reaction was completely misinformed. Loki in Norse mythology was a character that represented duality and sitting on the fence. In both Norse myths and the Marvel Universe Loki is a shapeshifter. Loki is part man part woman and sometimes portrayed as a hermaphrodite. Loki is borne of both Gods and Giants, who are immortal enemies. Loki is both good and evil. The Marvel 616 Universe's look of a green and yellow leotard wearing humanoid, is only one of his/her physical manifestations, or "avatars" if you will. Even in that portrayal he is shown to transform into different creatures, genders, and races. There is no real consistent look or portrayal to the character.

Faceless Coward on
    newsigpa4xj.jpg
  • Options
    thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    hey the Mexican had Brad Bitt who isnt even mexican. Who cares. I wasn't angry

thedude_frombaywatch on
    xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Racists suck

And Hollywood whitewashing sucks too

But including a token black man for no other reason than "we should have a token black man?"

Well

That sucks too, in a way

Quite frankly though I'm more upset about the casting of an Australian as Thor

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The very phrase "token black man" is racist inherent.

Perhaps they "included" him because he's just a good actor.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Token Black implies that the person using the actor is the racist/opportunist, not the person pointing it out.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Guys, Guys!

Just tell me where I can get Mike's shirt of a guy punching a bear in the face.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.