As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Offensive Game Ads And You

myownsummermyownsummer Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
So apparently enough people across the pond thought this ad (for PlayStation Move) was too risque and ended up getting it pulled.

Ad in question (via Kotaku): 340x_playstationmove-pic.jpg

Story: http://kotaku.com/5715936/playstation-ad-banned-for-being-too-violent

Is anyone actually bothered by this? Help me think of some other controversial ads. I'm trying to find that one for World Series baseball on Saturn that had giant hairy asses with the copy reading "All The Smells Of Baseball Without The Chili Dog Farts" or something.

rosievp6.jpg
myownsummer on

• Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    Is it offensive cuz the guy in red is going to shove a dildo in the mouth of the other guy?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    To be honest, I'm more offended by the Wii advert with the boyband JLS in which they all appear to make the wanking hand action.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I know some ads for Hitman: Blood Money were pulled for being offensive, but really I don't think I've ever been offended by an ad for a video game.

Chick in underwear, bra and dressing gown with a bullet in her head.

Tav on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Those PSP ads were widely considered offensive

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »

What PSP ads?

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

sonypspwhite1jb3.jpg

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    kaliyama wrote: »

What PSP ads?

http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/06/sony-under-fire-for-racist-advertising/

I think there was also one with a mexican caricature

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    To be honest, I'm more offended by the Wii

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I found the Call of Duty one with all the corporate drone types fighting it out in a far too realistic battlefield to be mildly disturbing

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't find ads offensive that are depictions of the game honestly. What do people think you're going to do in a game called "Move into the Fight"? Just because you don't have an ad of someone punching someone else doesn't make the game not about punching someone else. Same as the Hitman ad, the people they're marketing Hitman to will respond to that kind of ad, because that's what you do in Hitman. The PSP ones I only find offensive in the sense that someone was either too dumb to realize how those ads would be taken, or thought they were going to be "edgy" and sneak one by everyone else.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've never been offended, although there was a European ad I wonder might have offended some people. Two kids were sitting in a car playing Juiced, a racing game with vehicle customization. They look out the window and see a redheaded woman walking down the street. They grin at each other, turn toward her with the controllers and start pressing lots of buttons, making her breasts bigger, stripping off her clothes, etc.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The ad in the OP is neither risque nor offensive. It is, however, really bad-looking, like the old ads from the 80s in comic books.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    kaliyama wrote: »

What PSP ads?

http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/06/sony-under-fire-for-racist-advertising/

I think there was also one with a mexican caricature

I personally wasn't offended by those ads but I do think they were in very, very bad taste.

It's a shame, too, because they were beautifully photographed. Had I seen them in an art gallery, I would have taken them to be technically well-executed but ham-handed photographic representations of race relations (or some heady shit like that). In the context of a billboard, though, they're just facepalm-worthy.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Apparently this ad was considered offensive when it came out and got pulled.

Maybe because of his terrible dental hygiene?

President Rex on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I remember my parents were pretty shocked when they saw this in one of my gaming magazines when I was like 10:

(linked because it's pretty borderline NSFW)

http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps2/games/features/images/53238-2.jpg

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

This one was banned too, and I think both are actually really effective and creative commercials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRt0s_BJEyo&feature=related

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is anyone actually bothered by this? Help me think of some other controversial ads. I'm trying to find that one for World Series baseball on Saturn that had giant hairy asses with the copy reading "All The Smells Of Baseball Without The Chili Dog Farts" or something.

Ugh, I thought I purged that ad from my mind forever.

I'm glad that the gross-out style of ads like that and many others during the mid to late 90s is practically extinct.

Slicer on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This one was banned too, and I think both are actually really effective and creative commercials.

I love that one

The newer black ops one reminds me of it a little

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pblj3JHF-Jo

override367 on
  • Options
    agentk13agentk13 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010

I really want to set up one of those mass improv things to do that, but I'm pretty sure that would end in at least one death.

agentk13 on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    But at least they died for a noble cause

override367 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    But at least they died for a noble cause

I meant the former commercial. It'd be like a metaphor for spawn camping!

agentk13 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

I love that one

The newer black ops one reminds me of it a little

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pblj3JHF-Jo
    We have Spaced to thank for all of it though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sqSQ5Vu8vM

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I remember my parents were pretty shocked when they saw this in one of my gaming magazines when I was like 10:

(linked because it's pretty borderline NSFW)

http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps2/games/features/images/53238-2.jpg

Holy crap! 32 bits of processing power!

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I found the Call of Duty one with all the corporate drone types fighting it out in a far too realistic battlefield to be mildly disturbing

The fact that they never showed anyone being shot--just people shooting in various directions, and a helicopter exploding--kind of highlights how disturbing the commercial is if you think about it.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »

The fact that they never showed anyone being shot--just people shooting in various directions, and a helicopter exploding--kind of highlights how disturbing the commercial is if you think about it.
    And Kobe Bryant uses a damn noob tube, fuckin' Lakers man....

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010

I like to think they were all shooting at "Peggy" from those commercials.

agentk13 on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm quite a bit more concerned about the UK banning a piece of media because 8 people complained than I am about the mildly violent content.

I mean, half of the NES box art would be banned under that policy:

Bad%20Dudes.jpg

If being a Bad Dude and kicking a ninja is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Doc on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Help me think of some other controversial ads.
    There were those Forsaken ads that ran for like two years, that showed an entirely naked woman with a tattoo on her hip standing in front of a blighted landscape and absolutely nothing about the game.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think we can all agree that this cover is downright offensive

MegaMan%20NES.jpg

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man I never got the controversy with the Xbox finger-guns one.

That whole ad was just inspired.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I looked it up, and the ASA isn't technically government-run. However:

http://www.asa.org.uk/Regulation-Explained/Control-of-ads/Self-regulation-non-broadcast.aspx
    Interaction with the law
    Across the European Union (EU) there is a unified piece of consumer protection legislation to prevent the use of misleading or unfair trading practices. This law, called the Unfair Commercial Practices Directive, has been translated into UK law to make sure that we have the same rules as all the other countries in the EU.

The ASA works within this legal framework to make sure that UK advertising is not misleading or unfair. The ASA is able to refer advertisers who refuse to work with us and persistently make misleading claims to the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) for legal action. The OFT is able to act under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, which governs how businesses interact with consumers and the Business Protection from Misleading Marketing Regulations 2008, which govern how businesses advertise to each other.

The ASA is considered the ‘established means’ for gaining compliance with both these pieces of legislation. This means that the law itself is not usually enforced formally through the courts; instead the ASA is first allowed to tackle any problems under the Advertising Codes. This approach works well in the overwhelming majority of cases. The ASA is able to take action quickly and this avoids clogging up our court system.

Referral is rarely necessary, as most advertisers prefer to work with the self-regulatory system. Since 2000 around thirty advertisers have been referred to the OFT; in the same period the ASA has dealt with around 200,000 complaints.

Basically, the governments involved have handed over enforcement to the ASA - as far as I'm concerned, that makes the governments complicit in any censorship that the ASA enforces.

Doc on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm offended when the actors supposedly playing a game are using the wrong controller, or holding it upside down, or (unless the game is Mario Party) just trying desperately the mash random buttons as fast as possible while looking ecstatic.

Though with the advent of motion-sensing controls, the default move has switched from wild button-mashing to wild limb-flailing while looking ecstatic. With 3 additional people that are age-appropriate to be a wholesome white American family.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I'm offended when the actors supposedly playing a game are using the wrong controller, or holding it upside down, or (unless the game is Mario Party) just trying desperately the mash random buttons as fast as possible while looking ecstatic.

Though with the advent of motion-sensing controls, the default move has switched from wild button-mashing to wild limb-flailing while looking ecstatic. With 3 additional people that are age-appropriate to be a wholesome white American family.

So the exact opposite of this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWbLOFGSEDo

Doc on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's horrible, but it's not....offensive....?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqkNPcUMffU

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Yeah, I was a bit put off by that one to be honest. Just seemed like poor taste.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »

bieberfail.jpg

Tav on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    there's some fantasy rpg on DS- dragon something or other

anyway the commercials (the ones i've seen so far) involve either: a cute teenage girl talking about how much she loves her lvl 38 minstrel, and how there are SO MANY clothing options... she's never seen a game with this many cute accessories! she goes with loud clothing because that's her personality :3 ; and a teenaged boy talking about the strategy and attacks and how the combat is so deep and fun

gets my goat

Organichu on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This whole ad campaign was pretty offensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoPnp4ufeSk

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's horrible, but it's not....offensive....?

[vidurl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqkNPcUMffU[/vidurl]

That's so far in the uncanny valley I think I'm going to have nightmares tonight.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The only thing offensive about game ads are the pre-order bonuses. Hey yo!

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356