As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATMAN] Where Are You?!? Here. Arkham City Out Now

• Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Monger wrote: »
    WB is probably not fond.

That's evident by the fact that ALL the other video's like mine have now been blocked.

Stop getting so mad about it.

Besides it's not your video, you just snatched it from another site and uploaded it. Probably without permission too.

Unless it is your video and you're butt hurt that no one has fallen for it.

In which case I hate you for assuming that Batman and the Joker teaming up would ever be a good idea.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    WB is probably not fond.

That's evident by the fact that ALL the other video's like mine have now been blocked.

Besides it's not your video, you just snatched it from another site and uploaded it. Probably without permission too.

In which case I hate you for assuming that Batman and the Joker teaming up would ever be a good idea.

Hey now, that made for one classy episode of Brave and the Bold.

subedii on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    subedii wrote: »
    Hey now, that made for one classy episode of Brave and the Bold.

It would only work if the Joker was constantly (no pun intended) clowning around on Batman, not like what that video was....

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Green LantenGreen Lanten Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    WB is probably not fond.

I didn't say it was did i?

Anyway I was just trying to work out what was going on. Because other blocked video's were still viewable today.

Which took me by suprise as WB clearly doesn't want that video on YouTube.

Green Lanten on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't see why they wouldn't want it on Youtube.

I guess the only possible reason is they don't want people to think their game looks that stupid.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I don't see why they wouldn't want it on Youtube.

I guess the only possible reason is they don't want people to think their game looks that stupid.

That's exactly why they wouldn't want it on Youtube. Especially because when it first came out, all the major gaming blogs and such were putting it up as "IS THIS LEAKED FOOTAGE OF THE NEW BATMAN GAME?!?!?". Generally speaking, if you're releasing anything anticipated, whether it be movie, tv show, video game, or whatever, you really don't want third party people putting out things that would reflect on it. A video going "Check out this cool TOTALLY UNOFFICIAL machinima I made" is cool, and can make for good viral publicity, but when Kotaku and such are going "HAY GUYZ THIS MIGHT BE THE NEW BATMAN GAME" and everybody starts watching and emailing it in that context, it really is a good idea to have your PR department step in.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone familiar with the Challenges enough to know offhand if there are any where you can use that glass takedown? I just beat it on hard and misses the few chances there seemed to be during the story to do it

Javen on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Javen wrote: »
    Anyone familiar with the Challenges enough to know offhand if there are any where you can use that glass takedown? I just beat it on hard and misses the few chances there seemed to be during the story to do it

What do you mean? Where you can take somebody out by going through a window? One of the Predator Challenges takes place in that hospital-like area. There's one room toward the back that a mook walks in and out of on a pattern that will let you do it with the zipline.

Why does it matter?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

What do you mean? Where you can take somebody out by going through a window? One of the Predator Challenges takes place in that hospital-like area. There's one room toward the back that a mook walks in and out of on a pattern that will let you do it with the zipline.

Why does it matter?

I think he means the one where you drop through a glass ceiling for a takedown. You can do it on the Survival Tactics challenge map.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Honestly? Because going through the normal game, it was something I felt like crashing through a plate glass window/ceiling was enough of a staple in the batman universe that a game that claimed to be so loyal to the mythos where it felt like that specific was missing. Then, I'd just finished the game when I heard that they actually did include it, so I want to try it out.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

Why does it matter?

I think he means the one where you drop through a glass ceiling for a takedown. You can do it on the Survival Tactics challenge map.

I'm actually referring to both. I figured if it was in there it'd be in one of the Predator challenges, and I was planning on saving those for when I had the itch to play Arkham Asylum but didn't really want to commit to a whole playthrough.

Javen on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

Why does it matter?

I'm actually referring to both. I figured if it was in there it'd be in one of the Predator challenges, and I was planning on saving those for when I had the itch to play Arkham Asylum but didn't really want to commit to a whole playthrough.

In that case, Silent Knight is the one where you can zip-line through a window to take down a mook and Survival Tactics is - as has already been said - the one where you can come down through the glass ceiling.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Honestly? Because going through the normal game, it was something I felt like crashing through a plate glass window/ceiling was enough of a staple in the batman universe that a game that claimed to be so loyal to the mythos where it felt like that specific was missing. Then, I'd just finished the game when I heard that they actually did include it, so I want to try it out.

But... this is how you take out Harley. How did you miss that? You had to have done it.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would like to see a nightwing model/skin, or at least some other visual options. They should just include a skinnier mesh for batman with no cape and slap some skins on it to be the various disciples Nightwing, Jason Todd, Robin, Damien, Terry when he had to fight his suit....and if you beat the game on hard mode and get 3 bats in every challenge, you unlock the batman beyond costume with rocket packs...along with kamikaze mode.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    New interview over at Gamespot, selection below:

http://www.gamespot.com/special_feature/most-anticipated-2011/day-1/index.html
    Gamespot wrote:
    GameSpot: One of the great things about Batman: Arkham Asylum is that the mechanics associated with Batman felt true to his character and everything felt like it was placed in the context of that universe. With that in mind, what are you doing to expand Batman's repertoire of moves and abilities in Arkham City and how difficult is it to keep those in line with the Batman character?

Sefton Hill: The range of moves and abilities that we developed for Batman in the first game were designed to meet the threats and obstacles that gamers would find within Arkham Asylum. We wanted to reinforce the feeling of genuinely being the Dark Knight and then come up with a series of challenges, which best tested these abilities. Taking the game onto the Gotham streets has given us the opportunity to significantly increase Batman's repertoire. Our primary goal is to deliver the "Batman in Gotham" feeling, and this meant completely overhauling the traversal and navigation system. We wanted the player to experience the freedom and exhilaration of gliding down alleyways and soaring above the skyline, and this has meant [adding] nearly twice as many moves and animations as in the original game.

GS: As the title suggests, it seems with Arkham City that you're trying to expand the world and give Batman a larger arena to use his crime fighting know-how. Is the development team going for a sandbox-style approach where players can kind of go at their own pace--picking and choosing side missions--or will Arkham City be more of a streamlined open-world experience?

SH: The footprint of Arkham City is about five times bigger than Arkham Island, but our primary intention was never to create a bigger gameworld just for the sake of it. In Batman: Arkham Asylum, we really focused our effort on creating an intense, pressure-cooker atmosphere by locking Batman in the madhouse and allowing The Joker to turn up the heat. In Arkham City, we want to take that attitude to the next level, so we created an experience in which gamers will have a huge amount of navigational freedom, but they will also feel the extreme pressure of the challenges that they face. Players will be able to go anywhere at any time, but we have made sure that players will always have a very clear idea of where they are needed most if they want to just stick to the core narrative path of the game. Explore the streets of Arkham City, and you will find many side missions, secrets, and street brawls, so players won't find it difficult to get into some trouble if that's what they are looking for.

I wouldn't describe the game as "sandbox" because a totally open and free-form gameworld would not allow us to create the kind of atmosphere that we wanted to, but we don't hold your hand either. Arkham City is its own place; a massive superprison, jam packed with supervillains, thugs, and psychopaths. There aren't any rules, but it has a law of its own, and this is why it is a perfect setting for Batman. Gamers will have to think and act like the Dark Knight if they want to survive in a place like Arkham City.

We reappraised every aspect of every feature that was developed for Batman: Arkham Asylum and rethought them in the context of the new game setting and story of Batman: Arkham City. Thankfully, we had some very strong core systems to build upon. Our goal was, therefore, to develop these systems and add even more depth and gameplay instead of changing them fundamentally. Taking the freeflow combat system as an example, the core mechanics of this system remain in place. However, it has been updated with lots of new features, including multiple simultaneous counters, aerial attacks, projectile counters, environment counters, beatdowns, the ability to combo in gadgets, new special moves, and more.

Larger images at the above link

image2_99866_640screen.jpg
    image3_78169_640screen.jpg
    24fh89w.jpg

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am so excited for this you guys don't even know

glithert on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You missed the best pic

Quinn in a hooker outfit

image1_48979_640screen.jpg

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    glithert wrote: »
    I am so excited for this you guys don't even know

I'm feeling the same, man. There was a very audible nerd gasp as I read portions of that interview. It's ridiculous! I've never been so excited for a game that is nearly a year out.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Xanax? Pshh, I've got batman.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This is going to be the longest wait for a game ever.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    that interview made me feel funny in my pants

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    We have to wait months and months for this and I might die from wanting to be Batman.

Ceno on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ceno wrote: »
    I might die from wanting to be Batman.

You mean you haven't been already? I'm still nursing the broken legs from trying to drop through a skylight onto a table surrounded by mobsters.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    When is this game coming out again? Please tell me it's tomorrow.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    You missed the best pic

Quinn in a hooker outfit

image1_48979_640screen.jpg

I approve of this even more than the nurse redesign in AA.

Dram on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Since when is Quinn dressed in something that isn't slutty?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The traditional harlequin costume isn't inherently slutty.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Every female comic book costume is inherently slutty.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Only as a result of the most common superpower, though.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

The power of sluttiness?

Dram on
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    love the look of the henchmen in those clips, smacking those guys in the face sure seems like it would be fun.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dram wrote: »

The power of sluttiness?
    Not quite

But yeah, the old Harley costume didn't have cleavage or anything.

forty on
  • Options
    Green LantenGreen Lanten Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Batman: Arkham City Gotham on Lockdown
    IGN: Now, give us a Valentine's Day gift and tell us SOMETHING about multiplayer. You know that the couple that plays together stays together – and that works for friends or significant others. What's going on with multiple players in Arkham City? Co-op? competitive? We must know!

Sefton Hill: There have been a number of rumors circulating about a multiplayer mode in Batman: Arkham City so let me start by saying, once and for all, that Batman: Arkham City is a "single-player only" experience.

Our thought process behind this was fairly simple: when we investigated adding multiplayer we asked, "If we use all of the energy that is required to create multiplayer and instead focus this on the single player, would that deliver a better overall game?"

With the game now coming to the final stages, I can honestly say it would not have been possible to deliver Arkham City the way we wanted to if we'd have added multiplayer.

So it might not be the fashionable choice, it might not get us an extra tick on the box, but we are convinced, and we hope that gamers will agree when they get to play the finished game, that we have made the right decision.

We hope that you love Arkham City. We're working as hard as we possibly can to deliver the game you want.

Click images for hi-res versions

batman-arkham-city-20110213101451963-000.jpg

batman-arkham-city-20110213101443682-000.jpg

batman-arkham-city-20110213101454853-000.jpg

batman-arkham-city-20110213101449119-000.jpg

Full interview with Sefton Hill located in the link below.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1149377p1.html

Green Lanten on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just saw that news on Facebook

Let me just say "fuck yes" to a company realizing that the single-player experience is not dead and having the balls to not throw a shitty multiplayer component in. That alone gives me faith that this will be GOTY 2011.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Let me just say "fuck yes" to a company realizing that the single-player experience is not dead and having the balls to not throw a shitty multiplayer component in. That alone gives me faith that this will be GOTY 2011.

Not every multiplayer addition to a singleplayer game is shitty. Uncharted 2 is a great example.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

OH THANK GOD. Sefton Hill gets a big e-hug from me. Keep it alive Sef. Eff the haters.

Ceno on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Let me just say "fuck yes" to a company realizing that the single-player experience is not dead and having the balls to not throw a shitty multiplayer component in.

god yes

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    InkSplat wrote: »

Not every multiplayer addition to a singleplayer game is shitty. Uncharted 2 is a great example.

Uncharted 2 is also a straight-up action game, a shooter. Shooters typically lend themselves well to multiplayer.

Batman's basically a Metroid game, more about the exploration than anything else. That the combat is an absolute joy isn't even really the point of the experience, they took the part of Metroidvanias that is usually a chore and simply made it awesome.

Do you know what happens when you add multiplayer to a Metroid-style game? Metroid Prime 2 happens. Ugh.

The only way I could have seen multi even possibly working at all is co-op, and apparently Rocksteady doesn't think the same, so good on them.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Good on Square Enix/Eidos for not mandating a multiplayer mode.

Renzo on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    InkSplat wrote: »

Uncharted 2 is also a straight-up action game, a shooter. Shooters typically lend themselves well to multiplayer.

Batman's basically a Metroid game, more about the exploration than anything else. That the combat is an absolute joy isn't even really the point of the experience, they took the part of Metroidvanias that is usually a chore and simply made it awesome.

Do you know what happens when you add multiplayer to a Metroid-style game? Metroid Prime 2 happens. Ugh.

The only way I could have seen multi even possibly working at all is co-op, and apparently Rocksteady doesn't think the same, so good on them.

I applaud their decision. It seems very uncommon these days to focus only on delivering a wonderful single-player experience. That being said, if coop DLC were to come down the pipe sometime later I would buy the hell out of it.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.