As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help! Realtek HD Audio is compressing my db's!

Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I just got a new computer and the onboard sound chip (Realtek ALC888S) has some kind of crazy-ass dynamic range compression on it!

Whenever I'm playing a game or some other kind of audio, the quiet sounds (like wind or crickets) get increasingly louder and louder and louder until something "loud" happens (a footstep, a gunshot, whatever), at which point the quiet sounds go back to being barely audible until about 10 seconds later when they're back to their previous levels.

I've looked around in the HD Audio Manager and also in the Windows settings for the audio chip (RMB->Properties on the HD Audio device) and have only found Microsoft's "Loudness Equalization," which is and always will be turned off.

The stupid thing is still compressing the hell out of my sound, regardless of what I do! (driver update was also no help).

Anyone have any ideas? I'm using Windows 7 x64 BTW.

Locust76 on

• Options
    StrifeRaZoRStrifeRaZoR Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I see two different ways around this.

1. Uninstall the device completely, and remove any trace of the driver software on your system. Disconnect your ethernet cable and restart. Windows may install a default device driver called "HD Audio Device". I prefer these normal drivers over the actual manufacturer ones.

2. Check around for an older version of that chipset. Nuke the device, get rid of all the old drivers, restart with no ethernet cable, and install the older package. This may solve it. Hopefully.

Also: Sound cards are a bitch these days. I feel your pain :/

StrifeRaZoR on
    StrifeRaZoR.png
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Get another soundcard. That on-board stuff is barely passable honestly. I've fell out of liking soundblaster cards. I've wanted to try an asus XONAR card because the outputs look worthy of an actual sound setup.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This thread has several suggestions. See about halfway down where it talks about turning off the "reduce volume of other sounds by X%" solution.

DrFrylock on