As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

B.S. in Sociology; What now? UPDATED 5/9/11 - The Hunt for a Job!

HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a semester left before I complete a Bachelor's of Science in Sociology. About two years ago, I was lurking H/A here and I saw a number of people who recommended Sociology degrees over psychology or political science, saying they were better "multi-purpose" degrees.

At the time I was seriously considering either Psych or Political Science, so with that in mind I changed to a major in sociology with a minor in journalism.

As far as graduate school goes, it's something I'm interested in, but I need at least a year before I can take out any loans and whatnot. My parents paid for my undergrad through a combination of scholarships and a college fund that's now tapped. I have no loans so far (luckily), but they refuse to cosign anything for me.

So, I'll likely be entering the job market come late spring. I want to know what kind of positions I should be looking into, and what kind of work I can expect to find.

A lot of people have been dumping on me for having a "useless" degree, but I'm not concerned with finding a job in my "field." I know that many employers are looking for any type of B.S./B.A. degree, but I just don't know what those positions are and what they entail.

Can anyone help? Does anyone here have a major or minor in soc, with some employment stories they'd like to tell?

HadjiQuest on

• Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Personally I am an engineer, so I don't know a whole lot about sociology degrees, but my little sister just graduated in May with a degree in psychology. Now from my point of view, psychology/sociology should have about the same opportunities, but I hope you have more because she had an absolute hellish time in spite of the fact that she went to an excellent university and had good grades.

She was slightly hampered because she wanted to live in a particular city (Philly) because that's where her boyfriend-now-fiance was going. The most common position willing to accept a psych degree was a human resources-type position, or positions involving data entry/administrative assistants/secretarial work/etc; however, the downside was that they either required an HR degree (apparently those exist... I never knew) or they required 5 years of experience in HR. So she ended up taking a 6-month internship with absolute shit pay, but it gave her the opportunity to get HR experience plus once the internship was up, they gave her the full-time version of her job, which included benefits and better pay. So now she's set - but things were pretty shaky there for a while.

Other than HR, she also looked into CIA/FBI work - they have counterintelligence positions for psych majors, and they had one job that took psych/socio majors and had them basically doing propaganda work on enemies to lower their morale. Stuff like that. So that's a possibility.

Lastly, though it might be too late or getting very close to it, you could possibly do Teach for America. You might want to at least apply and consider it as a backup - that was my sister's backup.

Good luck!

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Talk to your school's job placement office, this is the type of thing they deal with on a daily basis and will be able to direct you to places or even get you a job. School's love to say they have a high job placement after graduation so they will do anything they can to help you in that regard

Veevee on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    When you say grad school, do you mean PhD?

Think you could get into a funded program?

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Like a degree in Communications or Psychology, to be competitive in the job market you really need to go to grad school.

Take the year off, and then get your loans for grad school. Since you're debt free at this point, I wouldn't worry about it.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    When you say grad school, do you mean PhD?

Think you could get into a funded program?

Probably a master's first, then maybe a PhD.

A funded program? Probably not.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    Like a degree in Communications or Psychology, to be competitive in the job market you really need to go to grad school.

Take the year off, and then get your loans for grad school. Since you're debt free at this point, I wouldn't worry about it.

This is true if you actually want to work in the field of sociology or psychology, or COM of course. If you just want an entry level position that uses degrees as a barrier to entry, that's pretty much what a Liberal Arts degree is designed for.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Teach for America is highly competitive, hardly what I'd call a backup plan. The first that comes to mind is going to a temp agency and seeing what they can do for you. I did this straight out of college with a political science degree and generally the kind of work I had was either being a receptionist or doing data entry. After completing a temp stint at most companies I was offered a full time position.

You could also consider teaching English in Asia. I'd especially look at working in China where there's simply going to be so much growth over the next ten years. If you can pick up decent Chinese and learn the culture it would make you very attractive to American companies looking to expand.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I have a semester left before I complete a Bachelor's of Science in Sociology.

LOL, what a useless degree...
    A lot of people have been dumping on me for having a "useless" degree, but I'm not concerned with finding a job in my "field." I know that many employers are looking for any type of B.S./B.A. degree, but I just don't know what those positions are and what they entail.

OK, so you know exactly what your degree means. That's great, we can skip all the disillusionment common in Bachelors of the Liberal Sciences.

First thing you've got to do is create a resume. It is important to get this done AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. You should be on break. Start putting your life story in resume form. Clubs, awards, GPA (Department GPA if that's higher :) ), scholarships, whatever.

Start checking out Careerbuilder for jobs in your area. Try the keyword "Entry Level". Avoid life insurance sales. It's soul crushing.

Check out the career center at your university and see if there are any on campus job fairs.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    No degree is useless, they all teach you to think critically, evaluate positions and present yourself and your ideas well. If you can market that well, you can get a good job and move up quickly.

What do you want to do for work?

Robman on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    No degree is useless, they all teach you to think critically, evaluate positions and present yourself and your ideas well. If you can market that well, you can get a good job and move up quickly.

I haven't really thought too much about it. Presumably something in an office setting that has career potential, but that I could also walk away from in a couple years if I choose to head to graduate school. What Cygnus said about Temp Agencies seemed like pretty solid advice for my situation, but I am still very open to other ideas.

I doubt it matters, but I also have two-year degrees in Liberal Arts (which is obviously superseded by the Soc degree) and Informations Systems.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Temping is a good way to put food on your plate while you spin your wheels, but you need to get yourself a career track. You can't bank on catching someone's eye as a temp office bitch, since lots of people right now are trying to get their foot in the door that way.

Do you want to teach? Do you want to be a receptionist? Do you want to be a corporate writer? etc.

Robman on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Robman wrote: »

I haven't really thought too much about it. Presumably something in an office setting that has career potential, but that I could also walk away from in a couple years if I choose to head to graduate school. What Cygnus said about Temp Agencies seemed like pretty solid advice for my situation, but I am still very open to other ideas.

I doubt it matters, but I also have two-year degrees in Liberal Arts (which is obviously superseded by the Soc degree) and Informations Systems.

Start thinking, hard. And there is no career that you can't walk away from if you want to go back to school. Well, other than being enlisted in the armed forces.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    If I get a Master's, I'd want to teach.

Until then, I am really unfamiliar with the variety of inner-office work, so I'd just like to find myself in that setting to learn more about the different positions.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, but no one is going to give you a job because you want to learn. Especially in the state the economy is in most places. You need to be going out and seeing what job skills you already have, and what careers they are suited to. Your school should have a career centre that will have counselling and resources that help you identify those. There are whole series of books of "Jobs for <Insert Field of Study> Majors"

Also, generally, you need a Phd or to be working on one to teach in my experience. A Masters is just a step to a Phd in many cases.

Corvus on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah...if you want a solid job, you're going to have to really know what you want and eat, live, and breathe it, especially if you aren't formally trained.

Take it from someone who graduated with a liberal sciences degree but managed to work their way into an unrelated field they were interested in.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    lessthanpilessthanpi MNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just a few thoughts.

1) How much statistics did you do along the way? Some Sociologists love it, some avoid it like the plague. If you've got a solid background with stats it should open up a lot for you.

2) You shouldn't need a cosigner for Federal Student Loans.

3) Take the GRE. If you want to go to grad school in the near future you'll need it. If you do amazingly well on it theres a good chance some school will fund you.

lessthanpi on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    lessthanpi wrote: »
    Just a few thoughts.

1) How much statistics did you do along the way? Some Sociologists love it, some avoid it like the plague. If you've got a solid background with stats it should open up a lot for you.

2) You shouldn't need a cosigner for Federal Student Loans.

3) Take the GRE. If you want to go to grad school in the near future you'll need it. If you do amazingly well on it theres a good chance some school will fund you.

1. Some, but never by hand. We used SPSS/PASW every step of the way, and weren't taught to do any stats by hand. So I don't know how useful that would be. I also took an intro-to-stats math class a few years ago, and we did very little of the math by hand in there as well; it was all calculator programs.

2. I believe that the Federal Student Loan amounts are dependent on my parents' finances. I can't be considered separately until I am either 24 or 25 (can't remember which), and I will turn 23 about a month after graduation.

3. This is really good advice. I had planned on this earlier, but forgotten about it recently. I will definitely try to take the GRE this semester.

As I mentioned earlier, I have an Associates Degree in IT. Is this likely to be useful at all, any more than my BS or maybe in addition to it? Before I decided to go four-year, I was starting to get IT certs as well. A+ and some of the lower Microsoft Windows and Networking certs were well within my grasp; Security + seemed doable but would take a little bit of studying to refresh myself.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Take the GRE a soon as you can. They are changing it this year which is a bad thing.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    lessthanpilessthanpi MNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    RE: Parent's Finances

Being a graduate student severs your financial aid from your parent's finances. At least it did in 2002 when I did it at 22.

lessthanpi on
  • Options
    CrowhammerCrowhammer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    you could always be a cop. Your degree will allow you to make Detective, and then, if your good enough, you could make it into the FBI or CIA (RCMP and CSIS, respectively, if you happen to live in Canada). Your degree is a good way into the Law Enforcement field, but not much else.

Crowhammer on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Nobody does statistical analysis by hand anymore, so knowing how to use SPSS on large sets of data is good. Pimp that up on your resume.

Robman on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Crowhammer wrote: »
    you could always be a cop. Your degree will allow you to make Detective, and then, if your good enough, you could make it into the FBI or CIA (RCMP and CSIS, respectively, if you happen to live in Canada). Your degree is a good way into the Law Enforcement field, but not much else.

You could also do social work.

I don't know why anyone would want to, but it's an option.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm bumping this because I officially graduated on Saturday, and I have even less of an idea as to what I am going to do.

Some updates:
    -I have a grad school in mind, but they're not taking new students into the program until Fall 2012, so I have over a year to kill.

-I have absolutely no idea how to find a white collar job, or the kind of jobs and paths to jobs I should be looking at with a general Social Science or Liberal Arts B.S. Degree.

-I would like to find a job near my grad school of choice, and move out there this upcoming fall, so I can be long settled in when their grad program opens up again. But I have very little in savings, and I don't know how to do that sort of long-distance job hunting. How do I go down there for interviews and start working if I have nowhere to crash? What are my options?

-What can I do for internships? Temping? Where do I start looking to find those opportunities?

I'm pretty freaked out. This is the first year of my life where I don't have anything planned out and I don't know what to do. My only past work experience is all in general retail. As I mentioned earlier, I also have a two-year Associate degree in Information Systems. Should I be putting that to use instead of my Soc degree? I have no formal experience.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So uh, did you follow any of the advice we gave you last time? That might be a good place to start.

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I have a resume, but I have not gone to the career center yet. I plan on doing that as soon as they reopen, next week. It's doubly important because I have never written a resume before, and I understand a major part of their job is to edit and improve resumes.

That's about it so far. I'm completely clueless. I wouldn't even know where to begin looking on my own for work (aside from Craigslist, where many jobs seem to be pyramid schemes). For me, my big issue now is trying to find a job not up here at school, or at home, but somewhere entirely different where I have no friends, family or connections, and when I have no real savings.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Had you gone to the career center a semester ago, they would have put you in contact with the companies recruiting at your university, which is one of the ways to get a job in another city. It's sort of late now but still worth a shot.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Most liberal arts majors freak out if they aren't going straight into grad school. If they do go straight into grad school, they freak out after they graduate.

Re: Internships
    • Getting internships once you're out of college is extremely difficult.
    • This is because no company can legally hire you for free - they MUST pay you
    • This lends itself to the logical conclusion: Why should I pay this intern when I can get one to work for free?

Re: Temp Agencies
    • Temp agencies have various specialties. Some specialize in financial placements, others law, others communications and marketing. Be sure to shop around.
    • Ask for temp to perm positions. This means that you will be working in a position that can potentially lead to permanent hirings.

Re: How to find Work & Experience out of College
    • This is the hard route. You graduated with a multi-purpose or liberal arts degree, don't have any relevant experience or internships under your belt, and you are freaking out.
    • Welcome to the toughest road to take! I took the same one, but let me tell you that there is light at the end of that tunnel, but it requires a lot of persistence.
    • I recommend that you surround yourself or get involved with organizations that are involved with, or tangentially involved with the field you're interested in. For instance, I was interested in marketing, so I worked in data entry for a while at a very large direct mail company. It was a crappy job, but it provided financial security while I looked for what I really wanted on the side.
    • I also constantly studied free online tutorials on HTML/CSS, Photoshop, Excel (advanced), Visual basic etc. and constantly improved my skillset. This allowed me to freelance for more money.
    • So basically - I self-taught skills that made me valuable to the field I wanted to get into. People saw that I self taught myself a lot of this stuff and they instantly understood I had a drive. This helped differentiate myself from others.

Re: Where to look
    • Start doing research on what sites post job listings relevant to your field. For online marketing, there are several trade sites that I went to.
    • Be sure to look at what is available on Linked-In. I participated in a group that worked to find other wannabe marketers jobs in the field.
    • Get a Feed Reader. If you dont know what that is I can elaborate on it, but basically get a feed reader and set it up to list out any relevant postings on craigslist, yahoo jobs, and your favorite trade sites.
    • If you want, you can download the firefox/chrome plug-in called "Post Rank" to get an idea of certain postings.

Re: Job Hunting
    • It fucking blows and it'll make you feel like shit.
    • On average, I probably applied to 4-5 places a day Monday through Friday (sometimes Sat and Sun!) for two years before I got the job I wanted.
    • It's easy to get any job. It's harder to get a job you're happy to go into every day.
    • Lots of people will give you tips...the defining feature in my opinion is persistence. Apply apply apply...volume is key - because no one will know you exist if you don't apply.

Re: Cover Letter/Resume
    • Post yours here to get it critiqued.
    • I recommend having multiple cover letters that cater to various positions
    • Another idea would be to have custom paragraphs that prove that you have a certain set of skills relevant to a position. You can then copy and paste sections, add transitions so that they make sense, and go from there.
    • If they say don't call. Don't call.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That's great advice, and I will take it to heart. Right now I just want to find something that pays a livable wage, that I'm satisfactory at, and where I don't absolutely hate each of my coworkers. If I can get something like that, I'd be fine staying with it for a year until I can get into a grad program.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That's great advice, and I will take it to heart. Right now I just want to find something that pays a livable wage, that I'm satisfactory at, and where I don't absolutely hate each of my coworkers. If I can get something like that, I'd be fine staying with it for a year until I can get into a grad program.

Absolutely look for a temp agency then. You'll usually find solid places and it'll be a job that you leave after 5 PM which is always great when you don't care about it.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh - also - fuck career builder and monster.com.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    SkyGheNe wrote: »

Ahh, this is a question I meant to ask flat-out when I bumped the thread:

Where, if anywhere, should I be looking and posting my resume to online? Specifically stuff for minor IT and more general liberal arts or social science jobs?

Also, what's the best way to find a thorough list of temp agencies in the area, and how will I know which ones are the best choices?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You may want to do a little reading. Job hunting is a package of skills, most of which you may not have. Looking for work, making contacts, networking, successful interviewing, etc.

In the past I have found Martin Yate's Knock Em Dead and the ever present What Color is Your Parachute valuable in these areas.

For example, I used to be awful at interviews, I got super nervous, didn't know how to answer tricky questions, and Knock Em Dead really helped get over that.

Do not rely solely on job posting sites of any kind, as many, many, jobs are never advertised. Network your ass off, tell everyone you know that you are looking for work, what kind of work, etc. Talk to your family, their friends, your friends, their families, professors, every one you can think of. People like to hire they people they know, or have some connection to, not matter how tenuous, so make that work for you.

Job hunting can be soul grinding, so be prepared.

And lastly, you have a job right now, it is called "Looking for a job that pays" and you should be spending 40 hours a week on it.

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Where, if anywhere, should I be looking and posting my resume to online? Specifically stuff for minor IT and more general liberal arts or social science jobs?

Also, what's the best way to find a thorough list of temp agencies in the area, and how will I know which ones are the best choices?

I'm a wee bit tired, so I'll go into great detail on both of those tomorrow, but where are you looking for work?

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I'm a wee bit tired, so I'll go into great detail on both of those tomorrow, but where are you looking for work?

In terms of location?

Two areas: Kalamazoo, Michigan and the greater metropolitan Detroit area.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Corvus wrote: »
    You may want to do a little reading. Job hunting is a package of skills, most of which you may not have. Looking for work, making contacts, networking, successful interviewing, etc.

In the past I have found Martin Yate's Knock Em Dead and the ever present What Color is Your Parachute valuable in these areas.

For example, I used to be awful at interviews, I got super nervous, didn't know how to answer tricky questions, and Knock Em Dead really helped get over that.

Do not rely solely on job posting sites of any kind, as many, many, jobs are never advertised. Network your ass off, tell everyone you know that you are looking for work, what kind of work, etc. Talk to your family, their friends, your friends, their families, professors, every one you can think of. People like to hire they people they know, or have some connection to, not matter how tenuous, so make that work for you.

Job hunting can be soul grinding, so be prepared.

And lastly, you have a job right now, it is called "Looking for a job that pays" and you should be spending 40 hours a week on it.

Networking is the most difficult for me. My part of the family is entirely separated from our extended family, and my parents have no real day-to-day friends or friendly neighbors or anything. I am the first person of all of the people I talk to frequently to graduate with a four-year degree, and I have had nearly zero contact with any of their families, so I get no help from that. The professors I keep in touch with are all adjuncts from out of state who have no connections or work experiences outside of Academia. I have almost no networking potential, and I know that is going to make things harder for me.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Networking is the most difficult for me. My part of the family is entirely separated from our extended family, and my parents have no real day-to-day friends or friendly neighbors or anything. I am the first person of all of the people I talk to frequently to graduate with a four-year degree, and I have had nearly zero contact with any of their families, so I get no help from that. The professors I keep in touch with are all adjuncts from out of state who have no connections or work experiences outside of Academia. I have almost no networking potential, and I know that is going to make things harder for me.

Pah! Did you graduate from a four-year college? (Yes.) Does your university have an alumni database? (Almost certainly yes.) Then you have massive networking potential!

Search for alumni, both recent or not, who graduated with B.S.'s in Sociology. Search for alumni who currently live in the city you're planning on moving to and working in. (Kalamazoo, Detroit) Search for alumni who are working the in the sorts of jobs you'd like to be in 2, 5, 10 years from now. Search for alumni with similar background and/or interests. If your university doesn't allow you to search by such specific parameters, then Facebook does, so get crackin'!

Networking is about getting out of your comfort zone and grasping onto the most tenuous of connections for information and opportunities. Did they go to the same university as you? Did they go to the same high school as you? Work/intern/volunteer at the same organizations? Go to the same church/synagogue/whatever as you? Live in the neighborhood where you grew up? Pass you on the street and give you their business card? Then shoot them an e-mail and ask them for an informational interview!

It doesn't matter if your parents have no "day-to-day" friends. If they have ANY acquaintances that do anything even remotely similar to what you do or want to do -- even people who they see once a year, at that -- ask your parents for the contact info. Similarly, unless your family has some seriously negative history and contacting your relatives would reopen some nasty emotional wounds or something, then drop them a line too. "I haven't talked to them in years" shouldn't be an excuse; "I haven't seen them since I was 3 years old" shouldn't be an excuse; "I've never met them in my life" shouldn't be an excuse. You have a connection by blood, and that's plenty connection enough, so talk to them if you can.

Now granted, not even 1 out of 100 of these connections will land you a job in all likelihood. But people are often happy to shoot you an e-mail giving you career advice, and some might meet you for coffee and introduce you to some of their friends or co-workers. If you're lucky, some might be able to get you on their company's "internal recruitment" list; if a position opens up, you'll be among the first to know. If you're REALLY lucky, a few might even point you to an open position and help you get it.

A lot of this might seem pointless and a waste of time, but it's really not. If you cultivate the right relationships it can really pay off in dividends. Let's say you meet, through Facebook, an alumnus who arranges a coffee meet-up with his friend who works at the company of your dreams, who gets you on the internal recruitment list at the company of your dreams, which 3 months later results in an e-mail saying "We have an entry-level position opening up, it'll go public in three days but you can apply through our website now." At that point you could ask the friend of the alumnus for advice on crafting the perfect application, name-drop said friend in your cover letter, AND get your application in a full three days before everyone. That's a big, big advantage which will often get you an interview at the very least.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055