As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Why is it that when we decide to do something, so did someone else?

battledrillbattledrill Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
This one goes at too all of you who have roomates or live with your parents. I'd like to bitch a little bit, and hopefully get a better understanding on what I am doing wrong and how I can maybe fix it.

I have a roommate. Really cool. Minds his own. Doesn't drink, smoke, do drugs or anything of the sort. Cool person. Messier than me, doesn't take showers too often and seems to be rather conservative and to himself. We live in a place where I have the top floor, he has the bottom floor but we share the kitchen and laundry room of this condo. On to my bitching.

I tend to do Laundry once a week, maybe once every 2 weeks. I tend to also be very good about my dishes, washing them as i get them dirty that same night. These are the only parts of the house where we overlap. I have my own space yadda yadda yadda. On the day that I choose to do my laundry, no matter the time or day of the week, he HAS to do his laundry that day also. I can choose to do the laundry at 11 at night on a Friday, and he will ask 10 minutes after the dryer is done if I'm almost done. I get so infuriated. Especially since I see him smell so bad and walk around with the same 4 shirts he took to work all week, and then uses those same stinky clothes that week. But wether I try to stretch it out to not do laundry in 2 weeks or 3 weeks, he wont' do laundry either! Oh but that frickin day I choose to do Laundry he politely asks me again if I will be done .

This same thing happens with the dishes. He lets his dishes usually pile up somewhere on his area which is no trouble for me since they are not on the sink. They will sit there for maybe 2 weeks tops. That day of the week when I decide to let the soapy water get all the grease out of my dishes for 10 mins. Yup you guessed it. "Oh hey my dishes are kinda dirty and I need to get to them, could you please let me know when your done so I can do mine?"

Same goes for cooking. If i choose to cook at 9 pm, he will come and cook too. And of course need exactly the same space I'm using. Is it lonelyness? I don't think so because he is always welcome to hang out when I'm home. And never has an excuse telling me he just wanted to hang out. I am about to flip.

Any similar experiences?

• EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Create schedules and take turns.

People who lead similar lives tend to do things at similar times. With the tiniest bit of planning you can easily work around it.

Evander on
  • battledrillbattledrill Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My thing is that he works totally opposite hours as me, Im morning hes graveyard. I work during the week he works part time on weekends.

battledrill on

So it's coincidental, then.

I mean, yeah, it's odd, but it's pretty easy to deal with. The solution is talking,

Maybe every time you do a thing it reminds him that he had been meaning to do it?

Regardless, schedules will solve everything.

Evander on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That's what I would say, Evander.

It could just be that he forgets about laundry until, 'ohcrap, dude's doing laundry. Maybe I should do it too." Lord know that happens in this house all the time.

And I live with my parents and my brother right now. And we almost always do laundry because somebody else started theirs first. It's just one of those things, I think.

lonelyahava on
  • ncallawayncallaway Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'll second that theory.

I will often see a roommate start laundry, and then start it myself. Generally, I've found a great solution to all roommate problems is to talk with them. Most people are understanding. I'm sure with a few quick words you can work it all out.

ncallaway on
  • battledrillbattledrill Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I guess i should feel good that my initiative gets him to do something. Cheers and Merry Christmas.

battledrill on