As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MINECRAFT] Notch breaks SMP, must be tuesday

• Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The lighting mod + Better Grass has made my minecraft look slick. I should look into a decent texture pack.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    sainsain Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm using aza's arid

sain on
  • Options
    BeleBele Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So are we expecting the server to be back up soon?

Bele on
    pasig.jpg
    Minecraft nick : aneroi
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    No.

Houn on
  • Options
    BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well I got my next project planned but damn if it aint gonna take a lot of obsidian and wool...I may have to simply find a place big enough to pull it off inside of the PA caverns though I dont know if I'll be able to...Good times.

BrilliantInsanity on
    steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    at about 9:40 vic said an hour seemed like a reasonable estimate but don't hold him to that because im sure its hard work

er, for reference its now 10:30

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well I got my next project planned but damn if it aint gonna take a lot of obsidian and wool...I may have to simply find a place big enough to pull it off inside of the PA caverns though I dont know if I'll be able to...Good times.

It's a Chessboard, isn't it?

Houn on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    One hour have passed, the server is still down and no word from vic, I guess I'll go back to my single player world for now.

Bele on
    pasig.jpg
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That took longer than I had hoped, and does not contain all that I wanted. Ah well, I will have to do a little more work later I guess.

Back up.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I crash everytime I get in.

edit: not anymore.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    And if you are crashing, that will probably resolve itself within 10 minutes or so. The game has to calculate a lot of lava...

Vic on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    getting connection lost 'internal java exception' errors. never got those before ever.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ouch.. I keep getting booted out with java errors. Something about an EOF Exception

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Houn wrote: »

No its a 65 Block diameter ying/yang symbol

BrilliantInsanity on
    steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Houn wrote: »

No its a 65 Block diameter ying/yang symbol

the ice caves would be big enough, I think

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    IncognitoEsqIncognitoEsq TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is that a minimap

Where did you get it I must have one

IncognitoEsq on
  • Options
    apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oh god i installed the aza's texture pack and now im getting bad logins when i try to join smp servers.

eep eep eep

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's back, hooray for Vic

Handkor on
  • Options
    Kb9kahneKb9kahne Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Aza texture packs killed my minecraft, had to delete them to be able to play, and now the server is full :/

Kb9kahne on
    11917-1.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    SERVER IS FULL?!

forever alone

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Crashed, server now full. Figures. :(

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    Kb9kahneKb9kahne Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So what is new with the world guys?

Kb9kahne on
    11917-1.png
  • Options
    HambrabaiHambrabai Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Crashed, server now full. Figures. :(

Darn server being full of people, now all I can do is mercilessly hammer the server till someone disconnects and steal their space.

Hambrabai on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    well i nearly caught up to aneroi, then i died and lost him, and now the server is full, so no more panda exploration for me

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    i feel so very left out.

let me onnn!!

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    had to relog, and now I can't get back in...

Bele on
    pasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well what was going on sounded cool but too many people where deciding to explore on their own and not mention where they were or what they were doing, so those of us not used to the events were just left wandering around aimlessly. Then when I finally got warped to where the action was we were told not to enter and a few of us died to invisible/ laggy mobs because we were left in the open.

So yeah, I guess I'll just read the story on here, as it appears it's only for a few people.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    KumagoroKumagoro Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    uhoh.png

Note to self. Mad science + "non functioning" portals = possible disaster.

Kumagoro on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Actually, making the entry to pandemonium or the red caves be a hell-portal that you simply LITERALLY walk through in survival MP would be pretty awesome

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    KumagoroKumagoro Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Actually, making the entry to pandemonium or the red caves be a hell-portal that you simply LITERALLY walk through in survival MP would be pretty awesome

Welp, now I have a task. :D

Kumagoro on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    hoothoot a.k.a. owlness Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Attention citizens of Lumber Ice:

They came for our Trees!

underdark_li_treefire.jpg

Logged on a bit after the reckoning to find the original tree farm and other copses around the village to be up in flames. Firefighting is in progress.

Let the perpetrator know we are unshaken. We will replant. We will stand strong.

hoot on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Trees are replaceable.

Better not have melted the ice! :x

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    huh. I was looking through notch's archive and I stumbled on this gem.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuTRIdGFPTM&feature=player_embedded

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I think a short list of happenings is in order.
    *Pandemonium is now filled with lava and a lot of lava worms have appeared.
    *The uberdark lake was invaded by a lava worm! There is now an obsidian (tunnel?) leading from the portal island to mainland uberdark where the lava worm is.
    *Fires in numerous treefarms, not sure if this was a planned part of the reckoning or if it was just someone running around setting fire to the treefarms without setting off the alarms.

Edit: The giant seal in Dis also disappeared.

Bele on
    pasig.jpg
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If I have a tree planted like this:
      G
    GTG
      G

G is open space and T is the tree. If I shove torches everywhere and make sure it has 5 blocks above, will it eventually grow? I should note that these 5 blocks are one level below the ones around them.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Joeslop wrote: »
      G
    GTG
      G

G is open space and T is the tree. If I shove torches everywhere and make sure it has 5 blocks above, will it eventually grow? I should note that these 5 blocks are one level below the ones around them.
    T x T
    x t x
    T x T

Where T is tree, x is a empty block and t is torch/glowstone should work too

Bele on
    pasig.jpg
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Well what was going on sounded cool but too many people where deciding to explore on their own and not mention where they were or what they were doing, so those of us not used to the events were just left wandering around aimlessly. Then when I finally got warped to where the action was we were told not to enter and a few of us died to invisible/ laggy mobs because we were left in the open.

So yeah, I guess I'll just read the story on here, as it appears it's only for a few people.

Things were being found all over the place. I tried to warp as many people as I could to the new things.

I think if you teleport, then the monsters around that area are invisible to you. Ther only way to fix that would be to rejoin, and that might have been hard at the time, since the server was full, with people constantly trying to join.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MetaHybrid wrote: »
    UEAKCrash wrote: »

Things were being found all over the place. I tried to warp as many people as I could to the new things.

I think if you teleport, then the monsters around that area are invisible to you. Ther only way to fix that would be to rejoin, and that might have been hard at the time, since the server was full, with people constantly trying to join.

Sorry about asking people to stay out of the obsidian pillar. I was having trouble mining through the llayers obsidian (I put the wood up around me to stop the monsters), then when I finally got inside, it was a very tiny 3x3 room that I was trying to get pictures of before a crowd flooded in.

I tried to warp people into it after that, but I messed something up because of lag and ended in the undercore instead. D:

I'm really tired right now, but I'll try to upload the photolog tomorrow.

Other stories I need to do:
    -The Redstone puzzle that led us to Pandemonium
    -Vintage redstone signs in the Old Core that talk about the imprisonment of the Red One
    -A speculative history of The Underdark and the Red One (sent the rough draft to Emp a few days ago)
    -Maybe some of the weird redstone found in Pandemonium.

Pandemonium ties almost everything together..

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Joeslop wrote: »
      G
    GTG
      G

There are only two requirements for saplings to grow.

1) 5 blocks of space directly above the sapling. It ignores leaf (and maybe glass?) blocks.
    2) Sufficient lighting. A torch one or two squares away is enough.

These two requirements satisfied mean a tree will grow. Whether it's large or small gets a little more complicated, but some kind of tree will grow. The time, however, is randomized; a check is done at variable intervals, and it's just a random chance, so sometimes it takes an incredibly long time for a tree to grow.

There may be bugs involved, I don't know. But this is the best of my knowledge and experience regarding sapling growth.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.