As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MINECRAFT] Notch breaks SMP, must be tuesday

• Options
    D34THROWD34THROW Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'd gladly join the UAPS (Underdark Archaeological Preservation Society) as long as we don't repair cult shit :P If I had enough obsidian (I mean, come on. 3B for a full stack...), I'd repair the creepers.

Oh, and to those who DO repair my obsidian companions down there, please remove the scaffolding when you're done >.<

As far as the office, I've got plenty of free space down by my house and I'd be glad to set it up there tomorrow with you, Aaron. I wouldn't expect griefers and cultists to spend too much time down there, so it seems safe from most of the issues of the Underdark.

D34THROW on
    Minecraft Nickname - D34THROW

Current Server - None.
    Current Project - Surviving in SSP.
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Of course we'd remove the scaffolding, c'mon man!

I think the museum in a central place or pocket dim is good, ice cave may be a bit out of the way for a museum. Then smaller offices at warp locations like the IC pillar and entrance to the old core (has a warp yet?).

I'm picturing signs like "The warp point sponsored by the UAPS, keep our Underdark beautiful" at the warp spots (definitely doing this for IC, at least. I paid for the bloody warp). Followed by some minor rules like "if you break it, fix it" or "please keep the giant magma spewing creepers intact please"

Fleeb on
  • Options
    KileakKileak Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Do you see anything interesting about this pic?
    ohhicreeper.jpg

Kileak on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hah, took me a mintue to see it.
    D:

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I see an abundance of brick. And a creeper long range photo bomb.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fleeb wrote: »
    Of course we'd remove the scaffolding, c'mon man!

I think the museum in a central place or pocket dim is good, ice cave may be a bit out of the way for a museum. Then smaller offices at warp locations like the IC pillar and entrance to the old core (has a warp yet?).

I'm picturing signs like "The warp point sponsored by the UAPS, keep our Underdark Strange and Mysteriuous" at the warp spots (definitely doing this for IC, at least. I paid for the bloody warp). Followed by some minor rules like "if you break it, fix it" or "please keep the giant magma spewing creepers intact please"

Fixed. :P

I have 69 gold at the moment (a lot of which is in the form of wood and gravel). Since all picket dimensions are 20 blocks off until January 2nd, I bet we could raise enough to buy two 39x39 ones stacked on top of each other with the divider removed by then (so it would make a 39x39x78 tower). That would give us a ludicrous amount of space to expand when needed and hold even the largest of oddities. We'd also have lots of open air for good views of the relics and such, rather than being cramped in a little hole.

A few ideas for what we could have:

Flora Floor:
    -Lightstone mushroom
    -Bloodstone Mushroom
    -Obsidian Mushroom?
    -Jumbo Lightstone Mushroom (We got the space!)
    -Gehenna's weird trees

Relics Floor:
    -Nonfunctioning replica of the hearts
    -Replica of the seals (inert and primed)
    -Frog Head

History & Lore Floor/Library:
    If we ever get the mod that lets you write in books, we could record some of the more prominent myths. Or maybe have a replica of the history chamber from the Old Core.

Cult Floor?:
    I doubt this will go over, but maybe a floor that houses the various runes and symbols that have popped up, along with pieced together lore of the cult.

We could even find room to stick an obsidian creeper, probably. :P

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I haven't played Single Player in a while.

And in fact my save game is from way back before he did the whole "New saves generate CRAAAAZY terrain!" thing so most of the area around my start is pretty laid back.

Has the beta client broken anything with old saves that I would be worried about?

Joeslop on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Now that I've actually put some thought into it, a museum of that scale would be a mammoth project and now I'm feeling too lazy to do it. :P

But I'm still up for UAPS and repairing the oddities.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, I've officially given up on my server.

Have no clue what could be wrong or how to fix it.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    D34THROW wrote: »
    Fucking shit. I settled under the ice caves, amongst the obsidian creepers for the privacy, minerals, and scenery. The next day, I return to find two of the creepers with holes in their faces and lava pouring out, the obsidian harvested. The next day, I come back to a conversation about Lumberice, the ice cave settlement.

Maybe I'll set up a vacation home in Gehenna.

EDIT: Reading more about Lumberice, I'm starting to fear a breakthrough into my mines or my stash.

As far as I can tell, I don't think we are going to be build down below the ice in/around Lumberice. From the looks of it the plan is to go up, or towards the lava fall.

Loathing on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A few more episodes of Halkun and Anni-p play Minecraft SMP. Queue up the K-pop.

Now with color commentary

Here's a little context

halkun on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ugh, server is full.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Part 8, in which we talk of Ikaruga and Japanese cheese
    Creeper Landscaping!

halkun on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    is there any way to increase the capacity of the server?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, buy Notch some booze and stick him in front of a keyboard.

Proof:
    ballmer_peak.png

Performance is horrible, and should be a priority.

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, I can't fix the magma spewing creeper, no big deal I guess.

And Lumberice looks fantastic.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Just so you guys know if there's ever any cobblestone in the chests in the cobblestone factory room in Lumberice, feel free to take it, its what its there for. Whenever I'm not actively doing something else I usually mine cobblestone at the factory and just dump it in there.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    kpop for life

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Listen Up!

I'm starting a project to replace HQ on Underdark, for the moment it's just being called "The Industrial Complex". I have a donation room set up in HQ on the second floor, now go DONATE!

FARMS:
    Tree, Wheat, Reed, Cactus

SERVICES:
    Furnaces out the ass, workbenches too, Gravel Room (for collecting flint), Cobble Generator, Wells,
    Fishing Pool, Storage Area, and an Incinerator.

FEATURES:
    Anti-Fire Tree Farm System, Water Ladders, Automatic-Self Harvesting Cactus Farm, and probably some
    Drop Pools (for getting down faster, basically just drop into a pool).

Empirical on
    Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So we just found another heart. Or it seems like it.

Vic? There were Cthulhu references with this one.

heartu.png

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Do you have screens of the references? Where'd you find it?

Doesn't look like a heart, though. Bloodstone instead of hellstone and the design is different.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh, and it was full of gold, ore and a Block.
    It was found in the tunnel from uc to Gehenna.

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    JollusJollus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    We should be able to make rope.

I want Zip Lines.

Jollus on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Latency was HORRIBLE today.

Tyberias and I were exploring a cave system he found near Gehenna, scored a few nodes of diamond each, then I got swarmed by four monsters I couldn't even see and died from full health without being able to do a thing.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, I lost a stack of gold and a stack of diamonds to similar conditions in Gehenna. ::x

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Summary of changes so far I've seen/helped implement today

-removed the roof from the walkway from warp IC to LumberIce. Monsters were spawning on top of it and invading LumberIce.

-hanging lanterns in central area to avoid melting any more ice from torches

-central monument with signs naming the town

-Cobblestone generator for the new players to get some stone from, so that they dont have to spend an age mining stone before they can build a rudimentary hovel (assuming they don't want to dig a hole as their hovel)

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    NotyetdoneNotyetdone Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well the server keeps poopin on me. every 20 mins maybe, it suddenly starts to respawn blocks, not spawn ones that i just broke, and wont let me pick things up. Also it disconnects my internet until i restart my computer (ive tried to just log off my computer account and log back in, didn't work). Does anyone know why? any way i can prevent it or something? I'm playing on the server as "Bendery" for all those who didn't know...

EDIT: Just happened again, about two seconds in i started to mine away at some coal i had been doing before it crashed the last time(had to restart my comp to post this) And the error that came up when it disconnected me was: Internal exception: java.netSocketException: connection reset

Notyetdone on
    Sometimes, when no one is watching..
    I dig straight down...

Im going to laugh when i see on the news that a criminal prone kid strangled his brother to death with a shoelace when he erased his minecraft save.
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Summary of changes so far I've seen/helped implement today

I also dug out a simple path on the upper levels leading to the Ice Cavern<--->False Surface Tunnel

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    KileakKileak Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Looking for people to donate gold towards a sand cave warp and possibly a false surface cave warp. interested? catch me in game or drop me a line here.

Kileak on
  • Options
    hoothoot a.k.a. owlness Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lumberice could certainly use some more lumber and ice. The ice is an unfortunate loss that I hope we can replace. The trees seem to come and go on the whims of multiple players. I'd prefer they stick around in some capacity. Perhaps future harvesting should be wholly delegated to the farm so that town square's shrubbery might be cultured into some resemblance of order.
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    -Cobblestone generator for the new players to get some stone from, so that they dont have to spend an age mining stone before they can build a rudimentary hovel (assuming they don't want to dig a hole as their hovel)

I've been dumping excess cobble from my burrowing perambulations there as well, for what it is worth. (Nothing wrong with a dug-out hovel, though!)

hoot on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    thats the only reason I've been removing some of the trees from time to time, because they just overgrow everything and there have been spiders in the leaves on occasion

If we limit harvesting to the tree farms outside the town square we should be okay.

And now that we've got the two hanging lanterns we should be ok for light if we want to remove the ground torches and grab some snow to remake the ice.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Well since I'm staying on all night, i'll work on the town square, get a decent setup for the trees and let them grow then remove the torches and trim them.

Loathing on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Ideally we should have a paved main road (paved with half blocks), with ice scattered around it and trees alongside it but not to the point where they interfere with any of the buildings.

If you need cobblestone or anything like that, help yourself to the chests in my house.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The main road is there, just needs to be fixed up (random cobblestone blocks). Im heading off to get dirt to stick some more trees up - and well the ice is sorta out of my hands right now, so I'm just working with water.

Loathing on
  • Options
    vernesvernes Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I have made my (Hell) nether portal, went in, got some glow stone, got a little paranoid of something that sounded like a little kid, and promptly got out. I am shamelessly labeling my portal: Highway to Hell.
    Maybe if Notch makes a world in the clouds with unique things to get I will name the portal to that: Stairway to Heaven.

Heaven: 16 blocks is just 1 block in normal space.
    Sort of like a pocket-dimension.
    Handy to hide a castle in a side-room of your house.

vernes on
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'll get to work on making Lumberice look nicer once I've finished my absurdly over-ambitious ceiling home (/bullshit vanity project?).

Thanks for sorting the road bridge out Dhalphir, I guess the torches I put on top of the roof weren't working. Hope you have fun with all that cobblestone!

Huggles on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    the ceiling home looks awesome

and we've made LumberIce look pretty good. We built a town hall.

Inside there is a registrar room with space to write the names of citizens!

I put a few names on there of people who I know have homes in LumberIce! If you aren't on there already, grab a sign, find room and put yourself on!

Please only people who have built a home in LumberIce, if you're merely passing through please stop and enjoy our sights, feel free to use our facilities, and if you tour people's homes make sure to close all doors.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Is there an easy way to locate a tundra biome in a newly created world? I've stumbled across two taiga's but no tundra.

Also does it snow in tundras?

Joeslop on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Where's the old core?

Fleeb on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Nevermind, I just kept making new worlds until I found a tundra.

It even has a nice little island in the middle of a large body of water that I'm going to use for a ruined lighthouse.

Joeslop on
This discussion has been closed.