As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pseudoscience, Snake Oil and Hollistic Bullshit

RobmanRobman Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
First off, let us salute the greatest and most ass-kicking destruction of a mound of appealing bullshit ever put into print,

http://www.technologyreview.com/sens/docs/estepetal.pdf (WARNING BIG PDF)

The epic destruction of the SENS project by a group of leading minds. Wonderful.

Pseudoscience, or SCIENCE! is mumbo-jumbo dressed up in labcoats, it is a collection of unsupported claims made using scientific-sounding language to confuse the layperson into thinking these claims are valid. The people who make these claims often have degrees, which confuses laypeople further - few grasp how specific the area of study and thus the validity of opinion is in academic work.

Pseudoscience is insidious and seductive at any level. Much like how we view financial fraud, we think that only a fool could be seduced by the siren's call of the pseudo-scientific theory. Right up to the point where some bastard just took out a mortgage on our place of residence and emptied our bank accounts. There is also the danger of misusing the term itself - a theory without good evidence is not necessarily pseudoscience, but a theory that primarily relies on arguments that "make sense" rather than measurable data probably is. Things often get blurry at the theoretical edges of a field.

I would continue to rant on this, but I feel like I'm reaching the edge of my knowledge quickly. The worst kind of pseudoscience is when someone trained in one area of research applies their skills of literature research to pull out good-sounding sources without having the background to judge good research from bad. Most everyone falls victim to this.

Robman on

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh man, I remember reading that article several months back. Such beautiful skewering.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Eh, SENS is pseudoscience?
    Isn't it just a bunch of suggested solutions to various components of aging that require future sci-fi technology?
    With the goal being to try to work towards those technologies or something.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Shanadeus wrote: »
    Isn't it just a bunch of suggested solutions to various components of aging that require future sci-fi technology?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1371037/?tool=pmcentrez
    Each one of the specific proposals that comprise the SENS agenda is, at our present stage of ignorance, exceptionally optimistic. Therefore, by multiplying the probabilities of success, the claim that all of these proposals can be accomplished, although presented with confidence in de Grey's writings, seems nonsensical. Consequently, the idea that a research programme organized around the SENS agenda will not only retard ageing, but also reverse it—creating young people from old ones—and do so within our lifetime, is so far from plausible that it commands no respect at all within the informed scientific community.
    If de Grey believes that he has a good strategy to reverse the ageing process, he should devise a detailed plan for testing his ideas, and then, like the rest of us, convince sponsors that his project deserves funding. If he and his colleagues produce scientific evidence that some aspects of ageing can be reversed by a judicious mixture of phenacyldimethylthiazolium chloride, marker-tagged toxins and IL-7, we promise that we will be impressed.
    There are good reasons why science tends to award more points for testable ideas than for ill-defined speculations, and more points for results than for ideas alone. Science—unlike fantasy—works and leads to discoveries that serve as the foundation for material progress. Creative testable ideas are the lifeblood of scientific progress. In our opinion, however, the items of the SENS programme in which de Grey expresses such blithe confidence are not yet sufficiently well formulated or justified to serve as a useful framework for scientific debate, let alone research.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Shanadeus wrote: »

The claims of what is feasible any time soon is extremely optimistic at best and ignores many, many problems.

Couscous on
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    De Grey gave a great TED lecture on longevity, I don't know how "mumbo jumbo" his work is but I love hearing the man talk on the topic.

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    De Grey gave a great TED lecture on longevity, I don't know how "mumbo jumbo" his work is but I love hearing the man talk on the topic.

It was captivating bullshit.

Feral on

• Options
    ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This thread needs more Dirk Gently.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Feral wrote: »

It was captivating bullshit.

Even if it was though, his stated goal is to change the mentality that clinical immortality is impossible/not within our current reach and so get the billionaires afraid of dying to throw money at the problem. He's not selling anti-aging drugs, he wants research funded that according to this pdf cannot be responsibly speculated about.

But.. so what? It's not like he's taking money from the funds going to these other researchers, if he stayed home the money stays in the pockets of whoever. If he gets them excited about technology that may not work and they fund research into it, well research still gets done. You always learn something even if you don't achieve your desired goals.

As long as he's not scamming people for his personal profit why are we lumping this guy's (apparently overzealous) passion in with the acupuncture and chiropractors and etc.?

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    If he gets them excited about technology that may not work and they fund research into it, well research still gets done.

I'd rather research gets done by people who don't habitually lie.

Feral on

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I was always under the impression that holistic medicine just means taking all aspects (physiological, psychological, social, etc) into account when providing care to a patient? Though I could be mistaken about this.

Homeopathy is the serious bullshit though.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The problem with holistic is that the term "the whole is more than the sum of it's parts" is generally taken to mean there is an extra part somewhere that is in some way taking up the slack of all the rest of it. A nice and snug way for mystical bullshit to hide.

When what it should mean is "it is the interaction of all these parts together that make up the result".

In the same way that if you take apart a clock then pile up the pieces, you don't get a functioning device. It is only by understanding how each part of the device affects every other part that you know how it works. This gear must make this gear work which affects this spring and so on.

In the case of extremely complex system like our own body, just understanding how each individual component of that body interact is still not enough as you need to know what forces are affecting the body. What is the person eating, drinking, what is their environment, what is occuring to their body and then how is this affecting the interactions of every part of the body with every other part. It's a way of keeping in mind that you need to explore a shit ton of variables for even the most simple thing, to the point that for very complex systems you would need to simulate all of the forces interacting on that system to be able to accurately simulate it.

So the term holistic, itself, isn't actually a terrible concept. It's people misusing the term because they don't understand it that are the problem.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    If he gets them excited about technology that may not work and they fund research into it, well research still gets done.

De Grey's basically just saying "put money into research and you may live forever" while the scientists in that article are saying "put money into research and your great-great-grandchildren may live forever" and well, I wonder which will actually raise more money? In the pdf it's always the same line: relies on "fantasy" technology that cannot yet be developed. I just kind of feel like, well why not try to develop it anyway?

It's like the space elevator. It'll be built when everyone stops laughing right? Relies on many things that have yet to be developed, but it somehow feels wrong that no one even tries.

IMHO we shouldn't put this guy in the same category as homeopathy and other "cures" that people are actually selling.

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Holistic medicine is a wide umbrella - some people make the very valid point that many treatments are symptomatic relief only when a broader perspective might be beneficial. Others make more broad and suspect claims about every condition being a result of, say, diet. It's not an inherently bad idea, it just depends how far and to where you take it.

I don't really care much about De Grey - as far as the reams of pseudoscience out there go, he is very minor and hardly worth bothering with.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Hollistic medicine is a great idea with seriously excellent clinical evidence supporting it. That being said, the term "hollistic" has been applied to all kinds of bullshit in order to take dollars from sick or worried people. People like nutrionists, chiropractors and other alternative medicine proponents often co-opt the term to give themselves an air of legitimacy.

Again, this terminology is tricky... naturopathic doctors (NDs) can be analogous to a GP in some regions, dieticians are strictly licensed and regulated, and massage/recreational therapy often get tarred by the overzealous skeptic.

Robman on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mindfulness meditation has shown to be effective in treating certain types of mental illness as well.

A way to distinguish scientific claims is to see if they have depth to them. If you ask the person "Oh yeah? Says who?" they should be able to say x y z year year year this paper oh and this paper oh and it goes back to here and here and here and....etc etc etc
    With all those papers being well constructed. Basically if you ask questions you should get solid logical answers. And a good one is to keep asking until they admit that they do not know because the field has not explored that far (or that perhaps the question isn't a real one). Then see if they tell you that what they don't know isn't part of what they are trying to sell or convince you off because, rightly, they don't know. In this you are checking for "self awareness" of the limitations of the field.

What you want to watch for are people who, when asked questions, give back fuzzy replies and circular feel good emotional words. And in particular, if they don't know the answer, they try to tell you optimistic crap about "not yet but soon" and so on. No depth, happy optimistic selling words and a stubborn refusal to avoid answering the really hard questions are hallmarks of bullshit, science or not.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited December 2010

De Grey's basically just saying "put money into research and you may live forever" while the scientists in that article are saying "put money into research and your great-great-grandchildren may live forever" and well, I wonder which will actually raise more money? In the pdf it's always the same line: relies on "fantasy" technology that cannot yet be developed. I just kind of feel like, well why not try to develop it anyway?

It's like the space elevator. It'll be built when everyone stops laughing right? Relies on many things that have yet to be developed, but it somehow feels wrong that no one even tries.

IMHO we shouldn't put this guy in the same category as homeopathy and other "cures" that people are actually selling.
    Pretty much.
    Saying that we need X hypothetical technology/scientific breakthrough to beat one hypothesized aspect of aging while explicitly saying that it's hypothetical and reliant on future breakthroughs is in no way in the same category as homeopathy.

It's at worst speculative sci-fi that tries to develop the speculated technologies.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I think the point, from reading the linked article, is not that he is claiming it is speculative, but that he has claimed to outline a plan that will definitely cure aging if all the steps are fulfilled. But all of the steps are not backed by solid evidence.

He has made an extreme claim that he cannot back up. It is not just a "maybe" he is saying "it will". You do not say "it will" unless you can bury someone under a ton of papers and evidence that tell them "it has". He does not have this.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You know what would be fun? If a group of lawyers decided to start filing lawsuits in small claims court against these practitioners of bullshit. Kind of similar to this guy who makes a living suing spammers.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    agentk13agentk13 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    The funny thing about homeopathy is that it's actually used in modern medicine, as long as you use the original definition of using a little bit of something with the same symptoms/sources as that which you are treating as opposed to the counterbalancing methods of "regular medicine." The fact that homeopaths don't trust vaccination or chemo therefor shows just to how great a degree the whole movement is based on contrarian mysticism. Of course, you also have H. G. Wells characters referring to increased smoking as the "homeopathic method," but you can't really take any medical pointers from a society in which Tono Bungay is in any way accurate.

agentk13 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    agentk13 wrote: »
    The funny thing about homeopathy is that it's actually used in modern medicine, as long as you use the original definition of using a little bit of something with the same symptoms/sources as that which you are treating as opposed to the counterbalancing methods of "regular medicine."

Do you have a cite? Because to my knowledge there has never been any such example at least according to the original definition of homeopathy.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I think the point, from reading the linked article, is not that he is claiming it is speculative, but that he has claimed to outline a plan that will definitely cure aging if all the steps are fulfilled. But all of the steps are not backed by solid evidence.

He has made an extreme claim that he cannot back up. It is not just a "maybe" he is saying "it will". You do not say "it will" unless you can bury someone under a ton of papers and evidence that tell them "it has". He does not have this.

Well, it will if all the steps fulfilled. The only problem is that we don't know whether any the ifs are in any way possible. It's like if someone was able to prove with quantum mathematics or some shit that time flows backward in a perfect vacuum traveling at the speed of light, but them proposed we try it without demonstrating that we can clear a perfect vacuum or send the chamber at the speed of light.

agentk13 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    The funny thing about homeopathy is that it's actually used in modern medicine, as long as you use the original definition of using a little bit of something with the same symptoms/sources as that which you are treating as opposed to the counterbalancing methods of "regular medicine."

Do you have a cite? Because to my knowledge there has never been any such example at least according to the original definition of homeopathy.

Next sentence, unless I misunderstood the definition.

agentk13 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

But each step require speculative technology so he's basically saying "If we invent the technology to cure aging, we will definitely cure aging"

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Well, it will if all the steps fulfilled. The only problem is that we don't know whether any the ifs are in any way possible. It's like if someone was able to prove with quantum mathematics or some shit that time flows backward in a perfect vacuum traveling at the speed of light, but them proposed we try it without demonstrating that we can clear a perfect vacuum or send the chamber at the speed of light.

By this logic, we could never know for sure whether or not Douglas Adams's theory of flying (Step 1, throw yourself at the ground. Step 2, Miss.) is in anyway possible.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    Hollistic medicine is a great idea with seriously excellent clinical evidence supporting it. That being said, the term "hollistic" has been applied to all kinds of bullshit in order to take dollars from sick or worried people. People like nutrionists, chiropractors and other alternative medicine proponents often co-opt the term to give themselves an air of legitimacy.

Again, this terminology is tricky... naturopathic doctors (NDs) can be analogous to a GP in some regions, dieticians are strictly licensed and regulated, and massage/recreational therapy often get tarred by the overzealous skeptic.

Ok, here's something I'm wondering about.

My parents go to the chiropractor a lot because they've got trouble with their backs. After their appointments their backs feel a lot better. So I've never really given a second thought to chiropractors because in my mind they've always been kind of like a massage therapist I guess?

But apparently they're crazy and believe something in the spine causes all kinds of problems in the rest of the body...? What's the deal? Are there non-crazy chiropractors? I didn't know until recently that they're looked upon so negatively.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Definition per Wiki:
    "Homeopathy" (also spelled homoeopathy[1] or homœopathy) is a term that refers either to a form of alternative medicine in which practitioners use highly[2][3] diluted preparations, or to the pseudoscience used to assert and explain alleged properties of the preparation.
    To treat a malady, a homeopathic preparation is obtained by first making a "solution" of a substance that causes symptoms of the malady, either by disolving or suspending the substance in water. This solution is then repeatedly diluted with more water, until no molecule of the original substance is likely to remain. The remaining pure water is then claimed to have a "memory" of the substance. This water is then either sold as the homeopathic preparation, or placed on medically inert pills (e.g. sugar pills), after which the water is evaporated. The dried pills that were exposed to the water are then sold as homeopathic pills. Homeopathists claim the water and pills alleviate the malady.
    Homeopathic "medicine" is no more effective than sugar pills or regular water (no efficacy beyond the placebo effect), according to the collective weight of scientific and medical evidence.[3]
    The pseudoscientific theory of Homeopathy is contradicted by the sciences of Chemistry and Physics.[4]

At its simplest level, modern pharmacological medicine operates on two principles: 1) the effect that a drug has on the body, and 2) the effect that the body has upon the drug via absorption, distribution, etc. Homeopathic medicine says in regards to 1) that (supposedly) a substance that causes a similar symptom in the body can acts as a curative for that symptom when already present in the body. In contrast to the idea of using an anti-inflammatory (ibuprofen for example) to reduce inflammation, homeopathic medicine supports the idea that introducing a substance that causes inflammation would paradoxically reduce it in the body. In regards to 2), well, the idea of diluting an active ingredient to a degree of non-existence in the finished product runs entirely contrary to modern pharmacology.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

By this logic, we could never know for sure whether or not Douglas Adams's theory of flying (Step 1, throw yourself at the ground. Step 2, Miss.) is in anyway possible.

Exactly.

agentk13 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Exactly.

But this isn't just bad science, it's not science at all. This logic is the same logic used by those who attempt to insert intelligent design into biology classes.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Reznik wrote: »

My parents go to the chiropractor a lot because they've got trouble with their backs. After their appointments their backs feel a lot better. So I've never really given a second thought to chiropractors because in my mind they've always been kind of like a massage therapist I guess?

But apparently they're crazy and believe something in the spine causes all kinds of problems in the rest of the body...? What's the deal? Are there non-crazy chiropractors? I didn't know until recently that they're looked upon so negatively.

I actually had a rib set by a rare gem of a chiropractor, who also held an MD. But he said "most chiropractors will sell you some shit about curing your indigestion, I'll hand you a Tums and fix your back"

Robman on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Definition per Wiki:
    "Homeopathy" (also spelled homoeopathy[1] or homœopathy) is a term that refers either to a form of alternative medicine in which practitioners use highly[2][3] diluted preparations, or to the pseudoscience used to assert and explain alleged properties of the preparation.
    To treat a malady, a homeopathic preparation is obtained by first making a "solution" of a substance that causes symptoms of the malady, either by disolving or suspending the substance in water. This solution is then repeatedly diluted with more water, until no molecule of the original substance is likely to remain. The remaining pure water is then claimed to have a "memory" of the substance. This water is then either sold as the homeopathic preparation, or placed on medically inert pills (e.g. sugar pills), after which the water is evaporated. The dried pills that were exposed to the water are then sold as homeopathic pills. Homeopathists claim the water and pills alleviate the malady.
    Homeopathic "medicine" is no more effective than sugar pills or regular water (no efficacy beyond the placebo effect), according to the collective weight of scientific and medical evidence.[3]
    The pseudoscientific theory of Homeopathy is contradicted by the sciences of Chemistry and Physics.[4]

At its simplest level, modern pharmacological medicine operates on two principles: 1) the effect that a drug has on the body, and 2) the effect that the body has upon the drug via absorption, distribution, etc. Homeopathic medicine says in regards to 1) that (supposedly) a substance that causes a similar symptom in the body can acts as a curative for that symptom when already present in the body. In contrast to the idea of using an anti-inflammatory (ibuprofen for example) to reduce inflammation, homeopathic medicine supports the idea that introducing a substance that causes inflammation would paradoxically reduce it in the body. In regards to 2), well, the idea of diluting an active ingredient to a degree of non-existence in the finished product runs entirely contrary to modern pharmacology.

I was going by the dictionary definitions, as well as the derivation of the word roots and the definition of its antonym, "allopathy."

MW:
    a system of medical practice that treats a disease especially by the administration of minute doses of a remedy that would in larger amounts produce in healthy persons symptoms similar to those of the disease

agentk13 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

I actually had a rib set by a rare gem of a chiropractor, who also held an MD. But he said "most chiropractors will sell you some shit about curing your indigestion, I'll hand you a Tums and fix your back"

Chiropractic medicine is probably very good for a very specific set of conditions. Kind of like how you wouldn't see a podiatrist for a broken arm.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Exactly.

But this isn't just bad science, it's not science at all. This logic is the same logic used by those who attempt to insert intelligent design into biology classes.

Or somebody trying to compile all the various theories for how a goal could be met. The real differentiating factor is whether he only lists one very large set of conditions or multiple sets that all are potentially possible under our current understanding.

agentk13 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Or somebody trying to compile all the various theories for how a goal could be met. The real differentiating factor is whether he only lists one very large set of conditions or multiple sets that all are potentially possible under our current understanding.

SENS doesn't have any theories. Not in a scientific sense.

SENS is based on unfounded speculation and misinterpretation of other people's work.

Neither SENS, nor De Grey, add any knowledge, truth, nor guidance to the conversation.

Feral on

• Options
    edited December 2010

Exactly.

Yes, exactly. It's not a scientific statement.

This is argument from ignorance, a classical logical fallacy. "We don't know for sure so we can't rule it out."

No.

We do not know. We rule it out until we do. We find out through a methodological examination of trial and error based on theory that is in turn based on prior experimentation. Argument from ignorance shifts the burden of proof away from where it should be: on the person making the claim. Science puts the burden of proof directly on the person making the claim and De Grey has nothing. There's no way to get around that.
    Nobody, anywhere, in any field of science, leaps out and tries to invent something based on speculation. They make small incremental steps out from what they already know, and they step in the direction that their knowledge tells them they should step. The previous knowledge lets them outline the way in which they can test future hypothesis and if they're good scientists they'll be doing that pretty precisely.

Anybody telling you about miraculous scientific leaps or scientific possibility is pandering pseudoscience. Regardless of why or how.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Well there's always the Einstein thing, but that's kind of a black swan moment that has no real relevance in normal discussion.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Right. There are evidence-based chiropractors out there, and they're not terribly uncommon. Chiropracty is slowly transitioning away from pseudoscientific notions into a more objective framework. This essay describes it nicely: http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:ROkGyYEudroJ:jmmtonline.com/documents/HomolaV14N2E.pdf

Feral on

• Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yea, many chiropractors in the US are also physical therapists so there is science behind some of the work they do. If they try to sell that what they are doing will cure anything though they are crackpots.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Right. There are evidence-based chiropractors out there, and they're not terribly uncommon. Chiropracty is slowly transitioning away from pseudoscientific notions into a more objective framework. This essay describes it nicely: http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...molaV14N2E.pdf
    It reminds me of what happened to osteopathy.

Couscous on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Yea, many chiropractors in the US are also physical therapists so there is science behind some of the work they do. If they try to sell that what they are doing will cure anything though they are crackpots.

From my old football days, I would occasionally see a chiropractor if I had an alignment problem, which are actually pretty easy to get if you continue to play while sustaining a one-sided injury or an injury that forces you to run or walk differently. Our team chiropractor would set you on his table, do some adjustments, and in a few days you'd be back to normal.

So I move to Dallas, and agitate an old back injury, so I call the nearest Chiropractor in my area. They quote me a charge of over $1000 dollars for a visit, and I ask for what.

"Basic homeopathic diagnostics. Reflexological measuring, brainwave scans, accupressure . . . . "

"Yeah. Goodbye."

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Technically that process is exactly how you orbit the Earth.

Lanlaorn on