As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

i dunno what they're bitching about. some racing wheel? whatever. [game podcasts]

• Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote:
    Jeff's last exclamation at the end of this week's Bombcast almost made me have a heart attack I was laughing so hard.

Finally got around to listening to last week's bombcast. The entire conversation centering around the hypothetical was so great I had people peeking into my office to see if I was ok.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    I have to come kill the thread guys 'cause it's episode 23 and we gave something away

• Options
    dj.subversivedj.subversive Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I recently discovered a podcast that might be interesting to people here: The Indoor Kids. It's hosted by Kumail Nanjiani and Ali Baker - Kumail is a stand-up comic, and I think Ali is also (she works at "g-stop," as she put it, but that doesn't mean she isn't a stand-up as well). They get guests "from the world of comedy" to talk about video games. There's only four episodes so far, and I'm currently only about halfway through ep. 2, but I like it so far. It's got video game talk, geeking out over 3d, speculation about new games (both hosts are looking forward to Bioshock Infinite and have talked about it in both episodes I've listened to), tangents, and jokes. There are spoilers and naughty language, if you care about that sort of thing, but they seem to be good about spoiler alerts, at least.

I'm a fan of comedy podcasts more than video game ones (I discovered Indoor Kids because of the Nerdist podcast, which I'm sure has at least a few PAers as fans), but I figured some of you might enjoy this as a mix of the two, and I'm enjoying it so far. It's a couple of funny geeky people sitting around talking about video games - it's a nice little change of subject (at least for me, whose podcast playlist is pretty much comedy or *about* comedy).

dj.subversive on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Well, that's a short Bombcast.
    Good thing there's another one

• Options
    edited August 2011
    I know this is a pretty out-there question but I figure I spam this thread with enough shit anyway so why not

Giantbomb isn't doing their live content post-show PAX like they did for GDC or E3 it seems which is sad 'cause those were a blast to watch. I know a lot of people really liked getting the recaps on stuff that was around and on the floor for those and we're gonna have all our video stuff there anyway for what we're shooting during the convention

We were planning on recording a bunch of shit while there anyway podcast-wise, and I'm not promising we are nearly as enjoyable as the GB crew is, but is daily wrap-up live content something people enjoy/would be interested in?

T4CT on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    I would definitely give it a listen, especially since there won't be a bunch of Giant Bomb livecasts to listen to. You might be completely exhausted at the end of those days, though, so perhaps a post-show podcast might be easier?

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    it's definitely something we'd want to work out finer details for, I'm more posting here to gather interest

the last thing we want to do is do them and then have like two people watching/listening

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Is it wrong that I'm really starting to look forward to these Farmville investor updates on the GB?

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The last one was great.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Is it wrong that I'm really starting to look forward to these Farmville investor updates on the GB?
    Given the most recent shenanigans, I can't wait for the fallout.

I recently discovered a podcast that might be interesting to people here: The Indoor Kids. It's hosted by Kumail Nanjiani and Ali Baker - Kumail is a stand-up comic, and I think Ali is also (she works at "g-stop," as she put it, but that doesn't mean she isn't a stand-up as well). They get guests "from the world of comedy" to talk about video games. There's only four episodes so far, and I'm currently only about halfway through ep. 2, but I like it so far. It's got video game talk, geeking out over 3d, speculation about new games (both hosts are looking forward to Bioshock Infinite and have talked about it in both episodes I've listened to), tangents, and jokes. There are spoilers and naughty language, if you care about that sort of thing, but they seem to be good about spoiler alerts, at least.

I'm a fan of comedy podcasts more than video game ones (I discovered Indoor Kids because of the Nerdist podcast, which I'm sure has at least a few PAers as fans), but I figured some of you might enjoy this as a mix of the two, and I'm enjoying it so far. It's a couple of funny geeky people sitting around talking about video games - it's a nice little change of subject (at least for me, whose podcast playlist is pretty much comedy or *about* comedy).
    They're not bad, but they occasionally fall into the trap of making fun of taking swipes at nerdy tropes or activities (like this week with the ranting about "who could possibly find watching Starcraft entertaining?"), which I expect to not be in a podcast from the Nerdist family. I'd like a gaming podcast where they make it a point not to shit on specific genres/systems/etc.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MarundoMarundo Registered User regular
    Any other podcasts that debate over top 25 lists or anything similar? I love the end of the year Giantbomb stuff, and the other day Unlocked debated the top 25 360 games, that stuff is fun what other podcasts do it?

• Options
    IGN's Podcast Unlocked this week features the hosts debating the site's updated Best 360 Games list. It's nowhere near as interesting as Giant Bomb's GOTY debates, but I found it enjoyable enough.

4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    T4CT wrote:
    I know this is a pretty out-there question but I figure I spam this thread with enough shit anyway so why not

Giantbomb isn't doing their live content post-show PAX like they did for GDC or E3 it seems which is sad 'cause those were a blast to watch. I know a lot of people really liked getting the recaps on stuff that was around and on the floor for those and we're gonna have all our video stuff there anyway for what we're shooting during the convention

We were planning on recording a bunch of shit while there anyway podcast-wise, and I'm not promising we are nearly as enjoyable as the GB crew is, but is daily wrap-up live content something people enjoy/would be interested in?

We've gotten enough positive response from this idea to actually go through with the terrible idea

So we'll probably do some live casts at the end of every night (video tbd)

If people here other that THB are interested in watching/listening you can help us out with what you'd like to hear about ahead of time either on the poll on our site or twitter or emails

/plugging

On an unrelated note god fucking damnit I'm sad I missed GB's livestream of games yesterday because of work. It needs to archive faster.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Ugh, damnit.

I listen to the backlog of the Bombcast at work pretty regularly to keep me sane through the day. I love their GOTY deliberations, but every single time I hear that Minerva's Den filibuster from Brad, I become enraged. His argument is wrong on so many fucking levels and bitches like a petulant child until the others just give up.

Gyugghh. Deep breaths....

• Options
    I disagree wholeheartedly. Ryan and Jeff and bullheadedly pushing for Lair of the Shadow Broker during that segment, despite neither of them playing either. Brad was completely correct in his filibuster, Minerva's Den is vastly superior to Shadow Broker both as a standalone piece of content and as an add-on the their respective games.

4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    My beef has less to do with the quality of the add-on itself and more to do with the ridiculous assertion that setting is incidental to quality of storytelling.

It could've been Superman saving Metropolis according to that logic. I'm all for great content but his argument belonged in a best downloadable game category, not best add-on.

• Options
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    Just posting the tested PAX podcast because tested is fantastic.

http://www.tested.com/podcast/

Will is so nervous. :lol:

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    How interesting was the Bombcast panel at PAX? Worth downloading?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It was pretty funny.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I just watched it this morning, found it enjoyable. The sound goes bad a lot, unfortunately. Drew explained in the comments that it's because they had to use a wireless receiver for recording the sound. Due to occasional interference, he had to substitute in the camera's mic's sound for those moments.

• Options
    Well instead of the PAX stuff I ended up watching Dave and Vinny play Daggerfall. Now I'm staring at the char screen deciding whether to make my PC regen HP while underwater. At least I know to pick up the ebony dagger.

Clearly I should have listed to you guys.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    "Who taught you how to do those double shotgun kills?"

"...Yeezy taught me..."

I was fucking dying laughing at work
    Ceno wrote:
    It could've been Superman saving Metropolis according to that logic. I'm all for great content but his argument belonged in a best downloadable game category, not best add-on.

I would be for this if it didnt require BioShock 2, but it does. You literally can't access it without owning BioShock 2. That's the very definition of an add-on, and I would make that argument even if it was about Superman saving Metropolis. Brad was right.

• Options
    The Big Live Live Show Live starts in about 11 hours, for those of you who enjoy Giant Bomb/Whiskey Media shenanigans.

• Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    I'd watch the Giant Bomb Live Show but I'm gonna be hanging out with Arino from Game Center CX instead.

/priorities

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm just not going to sleep.

3am over time to get fuuuuuuucked up.

• Options
    I got a pretty neato chance to have a chat with Niero from Destructoid at PAX and he gave us a bunch of really good tips for our site and podcast

what a nice man

one such tip was to consider splitting the content into different bits so that we could figure out what people want to hear

we took that and ran with it and now we're starting to do audio reviews

so if anyone was curious about Dead Island and didn't pick it up, here's our audio review about it

• Options
    edited September 2011
    thanks forums, I needed to triple post that.

T4CT on
  • Options
    So the latest Three Moves Ahead has the lead designers of Alpha Centauri and Civ 4 talking about designing games. So, uh, that's something.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Talk about revival.

I was listening to latest Retronauts and man, I went CoD:Blops' Mason: "Get this names out of my head."

I remember all these names from EGM and GamePro reviews:

- Saiyuki: Journey to the West
    - Azure Dreams
    - Legend of LeGaia
    - Growlanser
    - Hoshigami
    - Chunsoft's dungeon crawlers
    - Star Ocean: The Second Story
    - Arc The Lad
    - Threads of Fate
    - Jade Cocoon (for some reason I wanted to try this game)
    - All the Japanese Wizardry games from Natsume. I wanted to play Wizardry: Summoner for GBA so hard :,( .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLqvSszpm-E

Wonder if they would bring good memories to other people. :)

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Also, I would to recommend KOXM at http://oxmpodcast.podbean.com/.

Ryan McCaffrey and Andy Bauman host the show. This week Andy left for his wedding, and Dave Rudden joins to co-host.

You might recognize Andy from occasional appearances in the PC Gamer podcast.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    So I really hated Demon's Souls

Like, it was the only game that I ever bought used from GameStop because I was so wary about it. Shortly after, it became the only game I ever brought back for a full refund.

But listening to Vinny talk about it on the podcast made it sound so fun even though, to me, it felt very unfair, and then I heard him say that "Picking the knight is something you shouldn't do."

But I picked the knight. No one told me not to. And then he said something about encumbrance really dragging you down. And when I bitched about the controls being clunky as shit in the Demon's Souls thread, no one knew what I was talking about. It all makes sense now.

I'm just...so curious to try it again now with a different class, but at the same time I don't want to spend $20 and still find the game to be garbage

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Always pick a royal. I think that's what the PA thread taught me.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular

Like, it was the only game that I ever bought used from GameStop because I was so wary about it. Shortly after, it became the only game I ever brought back for a full refund.

But listening to Vinny talk about it on the podcast made it sound so fun even though, to me, it felt very unfair, and then I heard him say that "Picking the knight is something you shouldn't do."

But I picked the knight. No one told me not to. And then he said something about encumbrance really dragging you down. And when I bitched about the controls being clunky as shit in the Demon's Souls thread, no one knew what I was talking about. It all makes sense now.

I'm just...so curious to try it again now with a different class, but at the same time I don't want to spend $20 and still find the game to be garbage

Demon's Souls is definitely not for everyone. If you're curious about Dark Souls, wait a couple months and buy it used.

But if you really hated Demon's Souls, don't worry about it.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Not posted?

This is only a test is doing a 24hour cast for charity.

http://www.tested.com/news/octoberkast-24-hours-of-this-is-only-a-test-for-the-kids/2950/

They're up to $2000 now.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Jeff Green is set to appear.

That's worth a donation right there.

• Options
    edited October 2011

What do you mean by the controls being clunky though? If you're talking about a pretty funky targeting system, slightly floaty controls, and attacks having fairly long animations in general, you might just not like the game.

However if it's just about rolling and mobility, then yeah, go for a class that doesn't need to rely on armour and build a class based on wearing light armour. Though seriously, if you want to roll a knight or a melee character based on good armour, block more. Blocking helps alot.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    I rented Dark Souls from Redbox and I wasn't a knight

I leave still entirely convinced of the fact that the game is absolutely for crazy people and that in any other game this would be derided as terrible design but for some reason Demon's/Dark Souls gets a free pass

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    That's silly. (Not disliking it, but thinking it's terrible design.)

All games are built for an audience. Demon's/Dark Souls is built for a very specific audience; it's the perfect audience for that game.

Are all old games terrible designs and for crazy people because they were built for an audience that no longer exists?