As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Short-Term Savings

CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I've very nearly met all my short-term saving goals--I've saved for a new (used) car, refractive surgery, and I've got 6 months' worth of minimum expenses saved.

My question is this--where should the 6 months' worth of expenses go? As far as this money is concerned, I am primarily concerned with liquidity and preservation of my principal (including against inflation). I can't seem to find a savings account that offers a decent interest rate, though--even CDs don't seem to offer much these days.

Is there something I've overlooked? I'd rather not have this sitting around in my checking account. I am not comfortable (from a risk perspective) putting it in a brokerage account.

CycloneRanger on

• Options
    nethneth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    a few years ago I started doing the same thing, I found that capitalone had online money market accounts at 5% interest and went that route, over the last year it's dropped all the way down to 1.15% but it's better than nothing and has easy access via checks or direct account transfers online. There may be other places offering better rates if money market account is a way you want to go.

neth on
  • Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Rates all around are very low right now, that's just the way it is these days. Check out Bankrate.com for national CD and MMDA rates. Rates are likely to remain low well into 2011.

Thundyrkatz on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, maintaining any reasonable liquidity is pretty much going to cost you all of your interest on that money these days. Sucks, but that's just how it is.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have 1.3% at American Express savings and it's pretty solid. You can set it to transfer funds automatically every pay period and it usually takes only 2 business days to get cash into other accounts.

Although if you have that much cash on hand, you might want to look into opening an investment account and tossing some money there.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, I guess I'll take my 1.3% interest rate and smile, then. That looks to be about the current inflation rate anyway, so I'm not too disappointed.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

CycloneRanger on