As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition ~ little overwhelmed here...

KatoKato Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Games and Technology
I got this for Christmas (PS3 version) and I put it in and have enjoyed playing it some...but wow. Do they really throw you to the wolves of decision :) I have some random questions to ask some of you that have played through this game. I installed the game and was playing for a while and then I finally realized that hey, I need to install all the downloaded content too. I thought it would have installed everything from the start, but no, it did not.

1) The new quests that are in orange on the world map? Should I be doing the quests that showed up after I installed them first before doing the actual game? Levi Dryden for example. I already went up to Soldiers Peak and sealed the veil. I was thinking of doing the others...but does it really matter?

2) There were a bunch of other things downloaded and installed too. I assume I should beat Origins and then Awakening before I go after the others?

3) Gifts. There are a ton of gifts and I thought I read that you can only give a person one gift and that is it. Without trying it and then reloading your save (I really HATE having to do that in games and I steer away from reloading saves to see different results), are there any other good ways to know what to give to each person?

4) Any general tips for a new player that some of you might pass on? I just left Lothering and hit the world map and in the camp found Levi...hence why I suddenly installed all of the downloadable content. I am now a lvl 7 Elf Mage (no specialization yet...although I could have done the blood magic in Soldiers Peak and I assume I could get in good with Morrigan to learn Shapeshifter). I have kept my armor very light and spent the majority of my points in to magic and willpower. I believe my magic is a natural 30 at this point if that matters any.

5) I feel kind of bad as I have had other questions and I should have been keeping a list. Instead, I just trudged on through the game to see what would happen. I am glad I finally figured out that I can have more than 4 people around though. I was worried I would have to boot someone to add in Sten.

6) Is that warmutt any good? He seems pretty nifty and he found me a cool stick (staff weapon found in Lothering), but I just have this feeling that he will come up very short at some point compared to what a warrior in full armor can do.

7) Move this wherever if needed. I am just a little overwhelmed and confused with where to go and what to do next and I keep worrying that I am messing it up by doing something out of order.

8) Anyone ever think that there is too much fricking dialogue in the game? :)

9) The game obviously encourages you to do multiple playthroughs...do your stats for the Codex found and other stuff continue on? I would really hate to play through it as a mage and then want to do it as a rogue and start over completely from scratch...

10) What about online play?

11) Wait...do you really only get access to SIX spell slots throughout the whole game? Wow..that really hurts and limits your mage. Can you cast other spells through the radial menu while in combat? I could not use potions...do they only get used on you when you have them assigned to a button?

12) Combat Training skill...not the one that makes you better. The one that gives you extra tactics slots. Those appear to be a huge waste...am I being silly? I put one in there at the beginning and keep thinking that I messed up with that choice. I've never touched or used any of the tactics settings for any of my characters at all.

Signature??
Kato on

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    We already have a thread if you'd like to discuss the game. Here's the link:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=132377

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • KatoKato Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Maybe so Dashui...but

1) That is really for Dragon Age 2...
    2) I really don't want to waste time sifting through 50+ pages of talk about stuff that may not even be about the first Dragon Age.
    3) Lots of spoilers will be in that thread too...

Thanks!

Kato on
    Signature??
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    1) It's for both games actually.
    2) I can understand that. Check the OP maybe and then post at the end.
    3) Spoilers should be properly tagged (and hidden).

Bigity on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kato wrote: »
    I got this for Christmas (PS3 version) and I put it in and have enjoyed playing it some...but wow. Do they really throw you to the wolves of decision :) I have some random questions to ask some of you that have played through this game. I installed the game and was playing for a while and then I finally realized that hey, I need to install all the downloaded content too. I thought it would have installed everything from the start, but no, it did not.

1) The new quests that are in orange on the world map? Should I be doing the quests that showed up after I installed them first before doing the actual game? Levi Dryden for example. I already went up to Soldiers Peak and sealed the veil. I was thinking of doing the others...but does it really matter?

2) There were a bunch of other things downloaded and installed too. I assume I should beat Origins and then Awakening before I go after the others?

3) Gifts. There are a ton of gifts and I thought I read that you can only give a person one gift and that is it. Without trying it and then reloading your save (I really HATE having to do that in games and I steer away from reloading saves to see different results), are there any other good ways to know what to give to each person?

4) Any general tips for a new player that some of you might pass on? I just left Lothering and hit the world map and in the camp found Levi...hence why I suddenly installed all of the downloadable content. I am now a lvl 7 Elf Mage (no specialization yet...although I could have done the blood magic in Soldiers Peak and I assume I could get in good with Morrigan to learn Shapeshifter). I have kept my armor very light and spent the majority of my points in to magic and willpower. I believe my magic is a natural 30 at this point if that matters any.

5) I feel kind of bad as I have had other questions and I should have been keeping a list. Instead, I just trudged on through the game to see what would happen. I am glad I finally figured out that I can have more than 4 people around though. I was worried I would have to boot someone to add in Sten.

6) Is that warmutt any good? He seems pretty nifty and he found me a cool stick (staff weapon found in Lothering), but I just have this feeling that he will come up very short at some point compared to what a warrior in full armor can do.

7) Move this wherever if needed. I am just a little overwhelmed and confused with where to go and what to do next and I keep worrying that I am messing it up by doing something out of order.

8) Anyone ever think that there is too much fricking dialogue in the game? :)

9) The game obviously encourages you to do multiple playthroughs...do your stats for the Codex found and other stuff continue on? I would really hate to play through it as a mage and then want to do it as a rogue and start over completely from scratch...

10) What about online play?

11) Wait...do you really only get access to SIX spell slots throughout the whole game? Wow..that really hurts and limits your mage. Can you cast other spells through the radial menu while in combat? I could not use potions...do they only get used on you when you have them assigned to a button?

12) Combat Training skill...not the one that makes you better. The one that gives you extra tactics slots. Those appear to be a huge waste...am I being silly? I put one in there at the beginning and keep thinking that I messed up with that choice. I've never touched or used any of the tactics settings for any of my characters at all.

1) I'm assuming your talking about the DLC quests. The Stone Prisoner, Warden's Keep, and Return to Ostagar are designed to do pretty much anytime. Leliana's Song I would recommend putting off until after you've explored the character a bit. The Darkspawn Chronicles is an alternate ending sorta thing so put that off until completion. Witch Hunt is somewhat of an epilogue so I'd put that off too. As for The Golems of Amgarrak, it was designed to be the most challenging piece of content in the game, so its definately endgame or post-game material.

2) I don't think any of the DLC was designed with post-Awakenings in mind so you can do all of the Origins DLC before hitting up Awakening.

3) I use a gift mod on PC, you'll have to make due with a list: http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Gifts

4) My only tip: explore everything thoroughly. I mean that in regards to both explorable areas and dialogue.

Its hard to spec "wrong." Dragon Age isn't a hard game at default difficulty levels.

5) Not really a question :P .

6) He has his uses. Non-humanoid party members are unaffected by some forms of crowd control that regular party members are susceptible to. He is kinda outclassed by Shale in most cases though.

7) That feeling won't really go away on your first playthrough. You're bound to miss stuff.

8) That's kinda this game's "thing." I like a bunch of dialogue though so I rarely felt as if it was too much.

9) Codex stuff does not carry over to new playthroughs, no.

10) There is none.

11) I don't have experience with the console's radial menus, sorry.

12) The extra tactics slots are a waste, yes. You'll gain some additionally anyway by furthering your relationships with characters and as I mentioned earlier, its not like the game is hard anyway.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    After you get more than eight spells, there will be an arrow on the radial menu that you have to page over to cast more spells. The potions are on a different part of the main radial menu.

DarkPrimus on
    usnTyq4.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    edited January 2011
    Thanks Fig-D and DarkPrimus. That clears up a lot of things for me. I really thought this game had online play...but I guess not. No loss there though.

There is one thing that is not cleared up though and maybe someone else will know.

It appears that you can only have the 6 spells assigned to buttons to cast in combat. If I open up the radial menu during combat, can I cast spells out of it? Same with potions...can I use a specific potion off the radial menu during the perils of combat? Or am I reduced to keeping the potions as an assigned button and then really only having access to 5 spells in combat? I have 'tried" to do the potions and I did not see a potion go in to effect...nor did I see that it was letting me target someone else. I have not tried the spells yet though...targets seem to die off pretty quick.

Kato on
    Signature??
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah you can click the spell in the radial menu to cast them, the six assigned skills are just a kind of quick-reference thing for your most used stuff. You can change which things are assigned to the quick-ref in the radial menu, too.

DarkPrimus on
    usnTyq4.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm guessing the radial menu is some console thing?

Bigity on
    edited January 2011
    Bigity wrote: »
    I'm guessing the radial menu is some console thing?

Yes sir. That is what it is called on the PS3 at least.

Kato on
    Signature??
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    11) The radial menu will expand as you learn new talents/spells. You scroll with the left/right arrows on the respective side of the menu. The radial menu is accessible during battle. Poultices should be usable through that menu, as long as you actually have them. IIRC if you assign them to one of the six quick-access slots, they'll still show up, so keep your eye on the quantity indicator in the icon.

12) I find the best way to play is to manually handle every character for a while so you get a feel for what they're good for, then as you progress, you'll naturally realize what tactics will prove useful. Before too long, you won't have any trouble filling all the slots.

Tactics are useful for everyone, but they benefit warriors the most. Rogues, at least if they are close-quarters, are best used to backstab, which you have to do manually. Mages' cone and area attacks are useless unless you do them yourself. Stuff like healing, using mind blast, or when to switch weapon sets are common uses for tactics.

Torso Boy on