As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TV Shows that died too early.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Riches was a pretty good show that FX canned too early, as was Testees.

Personally I think Arrested Development got a fair deal. It got three full seasons and was extremely funny to a very small crowd of people. Middle America doesn't get that kind of humor, but for those that did, it was three seasons of re-watchable gold.

Just my .02, but any show that gets more than two seasons should be considered dead too early, especially if it's an hour long drama.

My feelings are that tv seasons need to be shorter. When you've got 22-24 hours of show per season, you're almost certain to have a lot of bad episodes that don't make the grade, and that adds to the chance of cancellation.

That's why I like shows on HBO, Showtime, etc. They usually just run around 12 episodes and tell a generally good story.

Also, Batman Beyond was fantastic. There should be more of it.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    DoomSong8DoomSong8 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm gonna second Firefly and Reaper.

I'd also like to point out how happy I am that Chuck isn't one of the shows in this thread, like I was so afraid it would be two years ago.

Knock on wood.

DoomSong8 on
    578991-5FHNJ36.jpg
    XBL:Gravity MD PSN:Gravity1204 Steam:Gravity1204
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Chuck will probably be gone after this season. It hasn't averaged more than a 3 something in the ratings for a long time, and NBC doesn't like that.

Their opinion is that 100,000 internet fans that make up a HUGE vocal majority in the show's support do not equal an additional 3 million viewers who will buy shit.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Nocren wrote: »
    Not sure, but it was litterally the last episode of JLU and has a lot of call backs to Batman.
    Plus, it shows Bruce, still alive even though it's a few years after the last BB episode.

Not true, actually. They thought it was going to be the last episode, but at the last minute, they got picked up for a further 13 episodes, which resulted in the Secret Society story arc.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Riches was really good, I had forgotten about it.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Not to derail, but now I'm remembering the BB episode where Starro took over the JL

Terry is flying and looks back to older supes and says on the radio... "Just how fast is a speeding bullet" as supes begins to catch up to the suit...

amateurhour on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

My feelings are that tv seasons need to be shorter. When you've got 22-24 hours of show per season, you're almost certain to have a lot of bad episodes that don't make the grade, and that adds to the chance of cancellation.

That's why I like shows on HBO, Showtime, etc. They usually just run around 12 episodes and tell a generally good story...

You are a mind reader.
    I thought the creator of Deadwood decided to move on so there was no 4th season. He made that horror show John from Cincinnati. I also miss Brimstone. A really good version of Reaper (which I liked but no where near as much). Man I sure could go for a Reggie Bar.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nocren wrote: »
    Not sure, but it was litterally the last episode of JLU and has a lot of call backs to Batman.
    Plus, it shows Bruce, still alive even though it's a few years after the last BB episode.

Not true, actually. They thought it was going to be the last episode, but at the last minute, they got picked up for a further 13 episodes, which resulted in the Secret Society story arc.

Speaking of... Megas should have gotten another season. Apparently Coop breaking stuff would have lead to the creation of the Glorf. Though the final episode was at least a decent way to end it.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    Kirbith wrote: »
    Oh man Life. :(

I really liked that show. Cuz, you know, hell yea Charlie Crews. Plus that the show just kinda ends where it does really sucks. I wish they had known ahead of time it was getting canceled so they could have ended it a bit better. Plus, c'mon NBC, what shows do you really have going for you now?

I thought they ended it nicely given the circumstances. I remember Life was at a nice timeslot when it first got on then they put it against Lost. Combine that with a lack of advertising and it died sadly.

NBC screwed over Southland that season as well with it's scheduling. That was an interesting show and I know TNT picked it up after NBC cancelled it, but I don't know if it's still on.

They had a pretty good idea it was going to get cancelled which is why it had a final episode with a little bit of closure. I think it had a fine ending, I was satisfied.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    saint2e wrote: »
    I'm gonna get razzed, but:

Invasion
    Surface
    Threshold

I'm a real SciFi geek, and while those shows were sketchy at the start, they were starting to come together when they were cancelled.

Surface was my favorite of the three, though Carla Guigino in Threshold and William Fitchner in Invasion definitely made them enjoyable. At least Invasion got a full season. Surface got dicked over by the Winter Olympics.

Visskar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    jefe414 wrote: »

That's why I like shows on HBO, Showtime, etc. They usually just run around 12 episodes and tell a generally good story...

You are a mind reader.
    I thought the creator of Deadwood decided to move on so there was no 4th season. He made that horror show John from Cincinnati. I also miss Brimstone. A really good version of Reaper (which I liked but no where near as much). Man I sure could go for a Reggie Bar.

Oh god this!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fellas.

Fellas.

twinpeakscredits.jpg

It had its share of troubles in the 2nd season but I'll say it was a damn fine show that deserved a better conclusion than that movie.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Okay, here we go.

Drive
    drive_fox_tv_show_image.jpg

Fantastic premise, ruined by the network.
    "I have an idea, let's hype the hell out of this show for fall. Then we'll delay it until Desperate Housewives, Heroes, and all the other big shows are about to come back from the winter break. Then when it only places fifth in the ratings for that night instead of first we'll cancel after two episodes."
    "I like the cut of you jib, good sir!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUK0BCcB2OI
    Holy fuck this show kicked ass. The only consolation I have is that they finished the story arc of 13 episodes even though they canceled it after six.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cabezone wrote: »
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    Kirbith wrote: »
    Oh man Life. :(

I really liked that show. Cuz, you know, hell yea Charlie Crews. Plus that the show just kinda ends where it does really sucks. I wish they had known ahead of time it was getting canceled so they could have ended it a bit better. Plus, c'mon NBC, what shows do you really have going for you now?

I thought they ended it nicely given the circumstances. I remember Life was at a nice timeslot when it first got on then they put it against Lost. Combine that with a lack of advertising and it died sadly.

NBC screwed over Southland that season as well with it's scheduling. That was an interesting show and I know TNT picked it up after NBC cancelled it, but I don't know if it's still on.

They had a pretty good idea it was going to get cancelled which is why it had a final episode with a little bit of closure. I think it had a fine ending, I was satisfied.

Southland is still on. It has its premier next week on TNT.

Oh, and the creator of Deadwood didn't "move on," causing the show to get cancelled. The cancellation was abrupt and unexpected, especially seeing as how the show was tearing it up at the awards shows.

Atomika on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, I was so sad about Pushing Daisies being cancelled. Especially since the second season ends on a cliffhanger.

The first couple of episodes of Kings were pretty good, but once I knew that it had been cancelled I stopped caring since getting into a massive story like that would have been pointless.

Not sad about Sarah Connor though. Sarah Connor herself was pretty great, but the show unfortunately did a great job of making John Connor unlikable in just about every way.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, I was so sad about Pushing Daisies being cancelled. Especially since the second season ends on a cliffhanger.

The first couple of episodes of Kings were pretty good, but once I knew that it had been cancelled I stopped caring since getting into a massive story like that would have been pointless.

Not sad about Sarah Connor though. Sarah Connor herself was pretty great, but the show unfortunately did a great job of making John Connor unlikable in just about every way.

Long tradition of following the movies then.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Good Guys was a good show that was never given a chance.

And of course this show:

screenshot_26.jpg

which should have easily had 4 more seasons. I watch some of the episodes every now and then and they still hold up strongly today.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh yeah, the Critic left us way, way too soon.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Chuck will probably be gone after this season. It hasn't averaged more than a 3 something in the ratings for a long time, and NBC doesn't like that.

Their opinion is that 100,000 internet fans that make up a HUGE vocal majority in the show's support do not equal an additional 3 million viewers who will buy shit.

On the other hand, NBC has nothing and it's now the most stable show on the network other than Biggest Loser and The Office.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I might be alone in this, but...

reboot_characters.jpg

ReBoot ended on the worst fucking cliffhanger.

Megabyte's taken control of the principal office! He has super badass powers that he never had before! The system is in peril! There's going to be something called 'the hunt'!

...nnnnnnope. Fuck you, Cartoon Network. Why couldn't you have ordered five more episodes?

I guess they're reviving it with some comic book and maybe a new movie? But as far as I know none of the original creators are involved. My hopes are not high.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Astaereth wrote: »
    No love for Terriers?

I've got love for the newest member of the 'Briliant but Cancelled' corpsepile.

Weird thing is, I almost don't mind that it only got one season. Now it's the perfect size for revisiting and loaning to friends.

Right now, as it is, it's a perfect little incorruptible gem, entirely self-contained and it wraps up just enough story to leave the viewer satisfied. No retarded filler subplots, no missteps, just all lean mean great fucking TV.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Definitely Jericho... so good.

I know this may be a weird pick, but.. Babylon 5. I wish someone had the money and smarts to pick it up and give it a proper reboot, shoot the story the way it was supposed to be before the changes, and make the story arc last all five seasons (rather than cutting and shuffling to squeeze seasons 4 & 5 into season 4, and throwing some weird shit into 5). And then... then! A good version of Crusade.

But then, I'm still waiting for someone to pick up and complete Advent Rising. My life is disappointment. ;-)

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Did anyone mention Party Down yet?

Pretty damn funny, and it had a great cast too. I still need to check out the second season on Netflix, though.

BigBear on
  • Options
    SquirrelmobSquirrelmob Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, I completely forgot about The Critic. What a fantastic show.

Squirrelmob on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WzZ7vpBc44

Never has a series ended on a more frustrating cliffhanger, I think.

From Wikipedia:
    In the final episode, four couples (Dr. Stein/Dana Reynard, Duckman/Honey, King Chicken/Bernice, Cornfed/Beverly) got married – the last three in a joint ceremony no less. The kids, Fluffy & Uranus, and a number of characters from previous episodes are shown to be in attendance. As the ceremonies draw to a close, though, Beatrice (Duckman's supposedly deceased wife) appears and shocks the entire crowd. When Duckman asks how she can still be alive, Beatrice indicates Cornfed always knew. The last of the series is Cornfed saying, "I can explain." This plot twist is never resolved and has thus created a cliffhanger.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Raakam wrote: »
    3- Journey Man
    Journeyman_-_intertitle.jpg

The show wasn't as good as the above two, but still pretty interesting to me. Worth watching the episodes if you're into time travel and such shenanigans.

Bullshit. Journeyman was way better than the above two.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Taramoor wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUK0BCcB2OI
    Holy fuck this show kicked ass. The only consolation I have is that they finished the story arc of 13 episodes even though they canceled it after six.

Yessss. I love Daybreak. I'm a sucker for Groundhog Day stories, and combining one with a murder mystery worked out really well. Especially when it's one of those well done mysteries where everything ends up being connected and the whole thing was clearly plotted out at the start.

Cantide on
  • Options
    DoomSong8DoomSong8 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    BigBear wrote: »
    Did anyone mention Party Down yet?

Pretty damn funny, and it had a great cast too. I still need to check out the second season on Netflix, though.
    Oh man, this one is still fresh. The pain...

DoomSong8 on
    578991-5FHNJ36.jpg
    XBL:Gravity MD PSN:Gravity1204 Steam:Gravity1204
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I enjoyed Rubicon, and felt another season or two would be all I needed.

I was just going to add this to the list, if it hadn't been already. I really think one additional season would have been ideal.

• Options
    NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Korgoth of Barbaria..although I suppose that's more of a "never was", so Andy Richter Controls the Universe then.

Newtron on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYWYkTp9hUQ

Oh god, Exosquad. That last episode. A cliffhanger only matched by the recently mentioned Duckman one. It would have been so awesome, humans and neo sapiens joining forces to battle the imminent alien invasion. And I think it was supposed to tie into Robotech, of all things! But NOPE. It wasn't to be :(

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Andy Richter was such a good show, Scrubs before Scrubs basically.

I did like Kid Notorious when it aired after South Park, especially when compared to later shows Comedy Central kept around for too long (Drawn Together)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm glad Exosquad ended where it did. It didn't need the ExoPirates spin-off, or another season fighting aliens. It was about the Neosapian/Human conflict, and once that ended there was no reason to carry on the show.

Honestly, I'm perfectly content with the two seasons we got.

• Options
    RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Raakam wrote: »
    3- Journey Man
    Journeyman_-_intertitle.jpg

The show wasn't as good as the above two, but still pretty interesting to me. Worth watching the episodes if you're into time travel and such shenanigans.

Bullshit. Journeyman was way better than the above two.

Journeyman, better than Firefly? I'll give you it might be better than Dead Like Me (I just loved Rube's character) but no way is it even close to Malcom Reynolds & Co.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pirates of Dark Water needs to be finished. :(

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Touching-Evil-500x312.jpg

So good, so short-lived.

adytum on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    adytum wrote: »
    Touching-Evil-500x312.jpg

So good, so short-lived.

I don't fucking believe you. I just climbed all the way through this thread to post the same thing.

Here's the start of the first episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1vBt3Rv-0I

Investigator gets shot in the head. Wakes up. Brain ain't quite right. Reads the world a little different. No longer feels shame or possesses social inhibitions. Picks apart cases in weird ways that get under your skin. Jeffrey Donovan. Vera Farmiga. Trent Reznor let them use some of The Fragile in it.

It's actually a remake from the UK, but in name only. It's actually an entirely different show in tone and premise. There was so much they could've done with this show and its characters, and you can't even get the series on DVD.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey, all this Fox craziness reminded me of
    John_Doe_%28TV_series%29.jpg

It ended on a fantastic twist at the end. I never saw it coming.

However I just looked up the wiki and the answers I found make me go O_o
    After the show was canceled, one of its producers revealed the secret of the main character's true identity in an interview with TV Guide: the Phoenix Organization, he said, was a group conducting research into near-death experiences. They believed that the sum total of knowledge in the universe would be conferred upon them at the moment of death, so they killed John and brought him back to life in order to gain access to that knowledge.

The show's final episode revealed that a close friend of John's was in fact the true leader of the Phoenix Organization.

An explanation of Doe's identity was eventually put forward by the show's producers in the pages of Entertainment Weekly. The article read, in part:

Where We Left Off: Doe was helping the police solve crimes and being tracked by a seemingly nefarious group called the Phoenix Organization. He finally unmasked the big bad, a villain nicknamed Stocking Cap -- his friend, Digger (played by William Forsythe)!

What Would Have Happened: Make that someone who looked like John's friend. The villain unmasked in the finale was actually just a Phoenix member with some fancy facial reconstruction. Turns out, the Phoenix believed Doe was the Messiah and its members were actually protecting Doe from a second group, which wanted him dead. The truth: Doe was injured in a boating accident. That mark on his chest? A scar left by a piece of shrapnel from the explosion. His Überbrain? A by-product of transcending his body during a near-death experience, traveling to a spiritual plane where all the universe's questions are answered.

So Who is John Doe?! "You'd think we actually would have come up with his name," the show's producer revealed. "We have no idea," he finally admitted, before adding "Fred."[1]

* On the popular weekly podcast Diggnation, Alex Albrecht said he was given a reason for the black and white vision, as well as all of the knowledge John Doe had. It was said that when you reach the gates of heaven, you are given the answer to every question you'll ever ask or that will ever be asked. And the reason for the black-and-white vision was an effect of being returned to earth

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Exosquad ended fine. It completely resolved the Second Neo-Sapien War, which was a thinly veiled allegory for World War II. That's basically what made Exosquad great, we witnessed the whole bloody war in its entirety. Nobody really cared about faceless aliens who came out of some far corner of the galaxy, we were engrossed in the tyranny and madness of Phaeton.

Now, if it had been canceled after the first season, that would certainly have been one of the greatest tragedies in television history.

Delta Assault on