As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NEW 2k sports football game

BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/759/759999p1.html
ign 360 wrote:
Today, with little aplomb, Visual Concepts announced the return of non-Madden football in the name of All-Pro Football 2K8 -- news that will surely excite the masses.

Other than its arrival on next-generation videogame systems this summer, 2K Sports provided no other details. The site says the game will feature the "legendary gameplay, innovative features, and outstanding visual quality sports gamers have come to expect from 2K Sports." IGN predicted this in a recent article, including speculation that 2K will sign up individual retired pros to get around EA's stranglehold on the licensed football market.

"Football gamers have been awaiting the return of the 2K series," said Greg Thomas, president of Visual Concepts, a 2K Sports studio. "All-Pro Football 2K8 will deliver an authentic next generation gridiron experience and we are happy to give fans another choice in the football category."

tl;dr
2k sports announced a new football (american) game today. this will be the first football game ive bought in a couple of years. and just the other day i was playing NFL2k on my friends dreamcast, dreaming about how awesome a 360 football game would be if it were made by the 2k team.

man, this summer is gonna be fuckin awesome.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
BaronVonSnakPak on

• Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

I'm so going to rename EVERY SINGLE PLAYER and the team names if I can.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This is going to fuck Gamestop in the ass so bad if they license relevant retired players. I'm very happy. We're already at the "omg wear jersies and start pushing Madden 08 this weekend" crap despite Gamestop barely selling out of Madden 07 at any store due to their shitty prices and generally awful atmosphere. They've already put all their eggs in the Madden basket again as far as reserve money goes. :twisted:

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    do you think if I shove money in my DVD drive hard enough VC will get it?

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have a large protein stain on the front of my pants and I can't see straight. Goddamn, so fucking bought'd.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Which ever team has John Elway shall be my team.

I'm calling it right now. It has been called!

Denver Broncos should be call like... the Colorado Mustangs or something.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    DOME PATROL!!!!

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    This is going to fuck Gamestop in the ass so bad if they license relevant retired players. I'm very happy. We're already at the "omg wear jersies and start pushing Madden 08 this weekend" crap despite Gamestop barely selling out of Madden 07 at any store due to their shitty prices and generally awful atmosphere. They've already put all their eggs in the Madden basket again as far as reserve money goes. :twisted:

for 2K8's launch, will they have to wear jerseys that say "QB #15" ?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh hell yes.

No more Madden for me.

Blakout on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    FyreWulff wrote:
    Neo Rasa wrote:

I despise Madden so I tell any employees that I'll fire them on site if they wear a jersey, however if we have a DM that enforces this I'll get one printed that says "Player 1" on it.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    FyreWulff wrote:
    Neo Rasa wrote:

I despise Madden so I tell any employees that I'll fire them on site if they wear a jersey, however if we have a DM that enforces this I'll get one printed that says "Player 1" on it.

hahahaha

I just told my brother about this and he said he's gonna beat my ass with the '72 Dolphin Legends

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Pretty awesome, I loved the 2K titles. I'm a little worried that they won't do as well without the license, though.

Still, I'll be buying it at least.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    not that many excited about this? damn.

this news alone skyrocketed the game to my top 5 must-haves this year. 2k has been SOLID with nba, college hoops, the new mlb looks fucking amazing, and now this. 2k sports, "we make good games, because we like your money, and you."

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chickenmaniachickenmania Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I am so pumped for this that I can't even think of what to say. Whoo? I guess "whoo" is appropriate.

chickenmania on
    Nerds.
  • Options
    edited February 2007

PA isn't exactly a sports haven. I'm sure there'll be considerably more excitement once there's actual screenshots and stuff too.

Oh, and we have to have a Penny Arcade league once the game ships, but that should just be implied.

Blakout on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Blakout wrote:

PA isn't exactly a sports haven. I'm sure there'll be considerably more excitement once there's actual screenshots and stuff too.

once the first screens/vids pop up...even the obligatory "im cumming everywhere!" wont suffice. epic ejaculation.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Honestly the only thing they need to do is improve the playcalling, I didn't like it too much. And put in the option run just for me.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    FyreWulff wrote:
    Honestly the only thing they need to do is improve the playcalling, I didn't like it too much. And put in the option run just for me.

I actually liked the playcalling, much more than the latest Madden at least. What did you think was wrong with it?

Blakout on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Blakout wrote:
    FyreWulff wrote:

I actually liked the playcalling, much more than the latest Madden at least. What did you think was wrong with it?

It's not intuitive. The offense plays are okay, it's either pass or run and and it shows the general direction of the run. What irked me was calling defense plays. They're just not clear to me, since I don't know the plays by heart. Versus NCAA05-07 where they show you the general idea of what's covered.

In short, it's the way they show them, I wish it was more descriptive at a glance.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    BbajBbaj Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I can't wait for this shit. NFL 2k5 is my favorite football game. I can barely play Madden 07 on my 360.

Bbaj on
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It's been a long time since I've played nfl2k, but man did i enjoy it back in the day. I'll probably have to check this out...Madden just never did it for me.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    2K has a new mlb game coming out? I'm all for the football, because I think EA is despicable, but baseball is really my sport for life.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    LavaKnight wrote:
    2K has a new mlb game coming out? I'm all for the football, because I think EA is despicable, but baseball is really my sport for life.

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/858/858986/vids_1.html

BEHOLD

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    FyreWulff wrote:
    Blakout wrote:
    FyreWulff wrote:

It's not intuitive. The offense plays are okay, it's either pass or run and and it shows the general direction of the run. What irked me was calling defense plays. They're just not clear to me, since I don't know the plays by heart. Versus NCAA05-07 where they show you the general idea of what's covered.

In short, it's the way they show them, I wish it was more descriptive at a glance.

I tell you this, NFL2K5 depending on what team you were using, had to create your own defensive plays with alterations before the hike. I use Denver and I liked to play a lot of man coverage... Kelly Herdon just couldn't handle that shit, so I had to double, custom blitz and all types of shit. I loved it about the game. Made me feel like a defensive of captian and made me feel like a Peyton Manning on offense.

My roommates and I still battle it out once in a while. We were going to update all the roasters and stats by hand, but ended up not doing it cause lack of time. If there was an easy way to upload a save file to the internet, I would of did it in a heartbeat for all the NFL2K fans.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    See, my heart lightened when I heard about this but all this audible-custom-play-don't understand defense and I'm good at the game-talk reminds me why football, while occasionally grabbing my attention, usually doesn't hold it.

I don't feel like I'm "playing" per se, as much as selecting plays and watching how they run. Occasionally you get to do something unique manually by rolling out with the QB or running the ball down the field, but in the end it comes down to your player's stats, the team matchup and picking appropriate plays for situations.

Don't take this as me ragging on football or 'trolling' though (damn I get that alot) I'm definitely going to keep my eye on this and there's a good chance I'll pick it up or at least play it with a friend who will (to death, if that's the case).

I'm just wondering what 2K might do to change what's become one of the biggest issues in football games...

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Stigma wrote:
    but in the end it comes down to your player's stats, the team matchup and picking appropriate plays for situations.

Stat's don't matter that much in football games if you know how to use a team. EVERY team in a football game has it's own feel, just like fighting game characters. But when you think about it... aren't ALL games like this though? What you just said is called "strategy". Now, 2K games have that great learning curve where rookies acn have fun playing against rookies and all pros will have have fun playing against all pros. Rookie vs all pro will not be much fun for either, but same is said for pretty much any game.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Stigma wrote:
    but in the end it comes down to your player's stats, the team matchup and picking appropriate plays for situations.

Stat's don't matter that much in football games if you know how to use a team. EVERY team in a football game has it's own feel, just like fighting game characters. But when you think about it... aren't ALL games like this though? What you just said is called "strategy". Now, 2K games have that great learning curve where rookies acn have fun playing against rookies and all pros will have have fun playing against all pros. Rookie vs all pro will not be much fun for either, but same is said for pretty much any game.

"Pick the Patriots, they dominate" doesn't sound like strategy.
    I know you're going to counter with what you just said "Every team has it's own feel ect" but you have to be an expert player to grasp that fully enough to win with any team. Even then, you're at a severe disadvantage against a better team, period.
    I wouldn't compare it to fighting games. Those are carefully constructed to make a fine balance, where a football game is carefully constructed to mimmick the imbalance of reality. Be serious. It is imbalanced and football fans wouldn't have it any other way.
    Just like any fan of something real would have it.
    I certainly don't want to turn on a wrestling game and see "Shane Helms" beating the shit out of The Rock or something. It just shouldn't happen unless the people playing are seperated by a huge margin in skill.

No, your lightweight in Fight Night isn't going to beat Ali if you're playing head to head with someone of equal skill.

It's not so much a complaint as a fact. It's just that football's gameplay sometimes makes me feel like I'm removed from the experience and no amount of 'gamer skill' is really going to change the play.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    ever since '06 I do believe EA put a "even teams" feature in the game that makes everyone's stats equal. At least in NCAA.

I would expect VC to implement a similiar feature for 2/4 player.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    FyreWulff wrote:
    ever since '06 I do believe EA put a "even teams" feature in the game that makes everyone's stats equal. At least in NCAA.

Uh.. EA stole that feature from NFL2K. It's been in the game since like 2K1. EA stole all of 2Ks features and were deemed unique by Madden lovers that don't know shit.

EDIT - The patriots are gay, but you can beat them. You gotta know who to to pass on and when. It's all about creating miss matches with then and not goign up against the hot player too soon.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It'll be interesting to see how this sells without the NFL license... if the masses truly didn't care about being able to play with the "current" players, Madden wouldn't sell zillions of copies each year.

Then again, there's hope that this will be considered competition that will force EA to innovate in ways other than throwing out big sacks of cash.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    This game won't sell for shit unless they sell it for $30.

No offense to the 2K games, they were great football games, but most people buy Madden to use their favorite NFL team and players. Madden always outsold 2K football even when they both had the licenses.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

No offense to the 2K games, they were great football games, but most people buy Madden to use their favorite NFL team and players. Madden always outsold 2K football even when they both had the licenses.

barely outsold 2K5 though. This doesn't change what you said because I believe it's true, but 2K was on the upcoming until the license buy.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007

barely outsold 2K5 though. This doesn't change what you said because I believe it's true, but 2K was on the upcoming until the license buy.

I would almost be willing to put money down that they are planning on selling this at a budget price. I can't imagine them thinking they want to try and compete with Madden at the same price point.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

I would almost be willing to put money down that they are planning on selling this at a budget price. I can't imagine them thinking they want to try and compete with Madden at the same price point.

oh I agree with that. I'd be almost offended if it were the normal $60 for the 360. This all depends on Take Two though cause I'm assuming they are still the publishers.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007

It should sell well if it comes out in the right timeframe. Before NCAA, before Madden. Get some advertising during the draft.
    I know you're going to counter with what you just said "Every team has it's own feel ect" but you have to be an expert player to grasp that fully enough to win with any team. Even then, you're at a severe disadvantage against a better team, period.
    I wouldn't compare it to fighting games. Those are carefully constructed to make a fine balance, where a football game is carefully constructed to mimmick the imbalance of reality. Be serious. It is imbalanced and football fans wouldn't have it any other way.
    I certainly don't want to turn on a wrestling game and see "Shane Helms" beating the shit out of The Rock or something. It just shouldn't happen unless the people playing are seperated by a huge margin in skill.

No, your lightweight in Fight Night isn't going to beat Ali if you're playing head to head with someone of equal skill.

It's not so much a complaint as a fact. It's just that football's gameplay sometimes makes me feel like I'm removed from the experience and no amount of 'gamer skill' is really going to change the play.

With the way that games are made today and the advanced AI / playcalling / mechanics, you HAVE to know how to play the game. You have to know you don't call 5-2 defense against Peyton Manning. You have to know when to use Cover 3 vs Cover 2 vs man coverage. You have to see when the safety is moving into zone on the right side of the field - you have to know when there is man coverage on the outside and you can call an audible to streak the WR and get a big gain.

The more you watch NFL and you play the games you can see it. It is actual play calling strategy, and it is 95% of the game.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    mugginns wrote:

It should sell well if it comes out in the right timeframe. Before NCAA, before Madden. Get some advertising during the draft.

With the way that games are made today and the advanced AI / playcalling / mechanics, you HAVE to know how to play the game. You have to know you don't call 5-2 defense against Peyton Manning. You have to know when to use Cover 3 vs Cover 2 vs man coverage. You have to see when the safety is moving into zone on the right side of the field - you have to know when there is man coverage on the outside and you can call an audible to streak the WR and get a big gain.

The more you watch NFL and you play the games you can see it. It is actual play calling strategy, and it is 95% of the game.

I think that's his problem... he doesn't GET football. It's a simulation, not an arcadey game like Blitz

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    speaking of blitz, and sales of football games without the nfl license, i heard that blitz: the league for the 360 was selling at a VERY good rate.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    maddenmaniacmaddenmaniac Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i only like madden

maddenmaniac on
  • Options
    BbajBbaj Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i only like madden
    Wow! Really? Honestly though 2k5 was soooo good.

Bbaj on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    FyreWulff wrote:

Uh.. EA stole that feature from NFL2K. It's been in the game since like 2K1. EA stole all of 2Ks features and were deemed unique by Madden lovers that don't know shit.

EDIT - The patriots are gay, but you can beat them. You gotta know who to to pass on and when. It's all about creating miss matches with then and not goign up against the hot player too soon.

Well apparently they took it out for 2K5 because that's the only 2K i ever played. Can you please tell me where it is?

FyreWulff on