Options

Where we command brains [NSF56K]

DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Social Entropy++
Cortex Command

Thats right folks. I know a lot of you bought the Indie Bundle, and you probably had some time to play around a bit in this fantastic yet incomplete little game, so lets have a thread to share some pictures of our bunkers, command centers and battlegrounds.

Dadouw's tutorial for Cortex Command
First, select Scenario Battle, then choose the game mode you want to play. I usually pick Skirmish battle, as it lets you build a base and then try to defend it endlessly. If you want to figure out the controls first and skip the base-building part, you could also select Prospecting mission and then click on the little dot marked as ''Dummy Assault''. As the name suggests, it lets you assault a base full of dummy and heavy robots, and you can summon as many reinforcements as you want, as long as you have the gold.

For a skirmish battle, once you chose the mode, you have to pick a stage. You have a couple of those at your disposal but I often find myself in the same ones; Mountain 2 and Desert 1. Once you have selected your stage, put yourself as team one, and the computer as team two.

When the game starts, you have a menu that lets you select a variety of structures, systems and modules to build your base. You can download a couple of mods that adds some pretty useful pieces of building to help you construct your dream bunker.

Before starting the fight, you also have to place your brain somewhere on the map. I suggest that you place a couple of actors with your favorite guns, too, because it can be a bitch to call them in a reinforcement dropship ingame and send them to their posts before the enemy spawns. When you are done, right click and select Done Building.

Once you're in game, the controls are pretty easy. Use WASD to control your actors (W activates the jet pack, it propulses you in the direction you're looking at, it doesnt just make you fly upward), and the mouse to shoot and aim. The right mouse button opens a small menu that lets you change your weapon, reload, drop your weapon and so on. It also lets you select the shopping menu. Q and E lets you browse your different actors/brain, and if you keep Q pressed you can take a look anywhere on the map.

The shopping menu lets you call reinforcements. You first have to select a craft and its cargo. Once the ship arrives I suggest you control it yourself to unload it correctly at the right spot. Rockets are not safe, and dropships are easy to use. You are less likely to lose your cargo with a dropship.

Also, you can automatically ask your craft to leave once the job is done, and unless he is killed, he will leave the battlefield and you will be refunded for the cost of the craft. You could also keep the craft and crash it on some unsuspecting mother fuckers, which is my favorite way to kill anything.

ScreenDump002.jpg
Here you can see my awkward attempt to make a bunker that can withstand a prolonged siege with the help of a sniper tower. Needless to say, the sniper got ripped to shred by some audacious AI with a digger. The bunker itself got burrowed in a sea of junk. It was my very first building and I wasnt exactly prepared for what was coming. This was also before I got any mod.

ScreenDump004.jpg
Here you can see another attempt at making a bunker.
Highly protected by the mountain itself, a sniper and a couple of turrets have a huge open area to make quick work of any opposition. I lasted a lot longer..
ScreenDump006.jpg
..with the help of some properly placed laser traps

ScreenDump007.jpg
Here is the entry to my latest (and most effective) command center.
A deep closed shaft protected by two heavy turrets and a couple of laser doors leads to a slightly complex maze loaded with some small turrets.

ScreenDump008.jpg
A robot awaits at the bottom of the pit with a pulse digger (any other digger would damage the structure) in order to clear some of the guts and thrash that accumulates after a couple of kills.

Mods
Here is a link to the official modding community forum.
There are a lot of good mods that make the game a lot better and I suggest you download a couple. Here are my suggestions

Maximdude Corp
Bad name, great mod.
It adds laser doors, lots of guns, watch towers, and... GUNSHIPS!
gunship.png

Combine Military Forces
A small mod with some combine actors from Half Life 2.
They come with all your favorite half life guns and some pretty sweet special abilities, like manhacks and healthkits
KaG2k.png

Tiberium Mode
Big fan of the Command & Conquer tiberium series? Well then I highly suggest this mod
Be careful with it though, once the tiberium is on the map its here to stay, and it spreads like a real plague.
ScreenDump114.png

Modern Warfare 2 weapon pack
A couple of guns from MW2. Adds some variety.

Large Hadron/Photon collider
I'll let you find out by yourself.

THE WRECKING BALL
Fun little craft that moves pretty fast and rips appart pretty much anything. Lots of fun.
WreckingBallDropship.gif
Animation1.gif

Crobotech
Sweet sweet guns, awesome looking space muhreens with some pretty powerful jetpacks, and a clumsy tank that you shouldnt bother trying to use.
UsualSuspects.png

CASH 4 KILLS
Pretty self explanatory

BEES
BeeSting.gif

Want more gold for your skirmish games? Heres how to do it!
HOW TO CHANGE SKIRMISH STARTING FUNDS for B23 PC

1) Open Cortex Command folder, this should be where you installed the game on your computer.
2) Open Missions.rte folder
3) Make a copy of Skirmish Activities.ini, naming it something else.
4) Open Skirmish Activities.ini with notepad or a similarly simple word processing program.
5) Look down to the seventh and eighth lines, they should read:
Code:
FundsOfTeam1 = 5000
FundsOfTeam2 = 5000

6) Change the 5000s to desired skirmish starting funds. For fair multiplayer, the two should be kept at the same value. Be careful not to change the tabbing of the lines or the variables.
7) Save the file and test it.
8) If it didn't work right, and Cortex Command fails to load, delete the original Skirmish Activities file and name your copy the original name exactly. ( "Skirmish Activities.ini" )
Its supposed to work on B24 but it didnt for me. I guess its worth trying, though

I will keep adding mods to the OP in the next couple of minutes, while I do so why dont YOU post some pictures or tell us awesome war stories about Cortex Command? :)

Dadouw on

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh hell yes. This game is a blast.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well I'm glad I aint alone to play it

wouldve felt silly doing a thread and all

Dadouw on
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I only played the early build of this and couldnt figure it out. What's the goal?

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yeah I could never get the hang of this game, which sucks because it looks like so much goddamn fun

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    As7 wrote: »
    So I only played the early build if this and couldnt figure it out. What's the goal?

There are multiple way to play the game, actually. There are a few lesser modes where you have to survive for like 1 minute or so, but that kinda sucks imo.

The main goal (in a skirmish game) is to build a fortress to protect your brain. You harvest gold, buy units, and try to control the battleground in order to stop the enemy forces from destroying your brain, until they succeed or you get bored.

Dadouw on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yeah

i never understood the controls to this game :/

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So in the beginning do you rely on static defended mostly for defense. I remember being confused by the very limited resources.

As7 on
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I have a mod somewhere that gives you cash when you kill somebody, which is super cool because it lets you use all your money on your base instead of saving it for future purchases (it can be tedious to harvest gold during a battle)

I'll try to find it if there are enough people interested

Dadouw on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have never heard of this! it looks good!

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also, as you lower the difficulty you get more starting gold.

You can also go in your game files to change your starting ressources but it doesnt work for me. Its somewhere on the official forums, i'll try to find it too

Dadouw on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You can also load your craft with bombs and carpet bomb the shit out of the AI

Though you should be careful because some bombs pack quite a punch and could get your thrusters from far away

you dont want that to happen, unless you are still loaded with bombs and there are still a lot of people under you, then its hilarious

Dadouw on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    alrighty so I need this game

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    added the command to change your starting ressources in the OP

Dadouw on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have trouble figuring this game out.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Wait, i'll put all this in the OP to make it easier.

Dadouw on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    done!

Dadouw on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Heres another one of my bases I made on the tip of a rock formation

ScreenDump011.jpg

It all went pretty softly..
    ..until a dropshit crashed into it
    ScreenDump012.jpg

Then they killed my sniper
    ScreenDump013.jpg

That pissed me off
    ScreenDump014.jpg

...then another ship crashed into it

ScreenDump016.jpg

Dadouw on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm surprised so few forumers have interest in this game

I thought a good bunch had the indie bundle :(

Dadouw on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    added the cash for kills mod in the OP, if anyone still bothers

Dadouw on
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bought this game a while back. It is super fun times.

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I couldn't make it past the menu. Was something wrong with the way my cursor was moving.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Got this game with the Indie Bundle 2, but haven't had a chance to play it yet

I think part of it, like Revenge of the Titans, is because it's not finished and not on steam yet

Still it looks fun and I should probably just install it already

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    FlatEric wrote: »
    Got this game with the Indie Bundle 2, but haven't had a chance to play it yet

I think part of it, like Revenge of the Titans, is because it's not finished and not on steam yet

Still it looks fun and I should probably just install it already

I think you should, too!

Dadouw on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Got this District 9 mod with the prawn suit

it owns
    ScreenDump018.jpg
    ScreenDump019.jpg
    ScreenDump017.jpg

Dadouw on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Tried the demo and did alright.

Something about the game doesn't sit quite right with me though, probably it's the lack of pausing.

As7 on
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Tried the demo and did alright.

Something about the game doesn't sit quite right with me though, probably it's the lack of pausing.

You can pause

Press escape. It doesnt end the game, a ''resume game'' button appears on the menu

Dadouw on
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees, this is still such a good game.

You have good taste, dadouw.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Trying my best to teach those barbarians what a good game is

Dadouw on
  • Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How easy is it to install mods?

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    FlatEric wrote: »
    How easy is it to install mods?

You just upload it in the same folder its installed

Dadouw on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Most excellent

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    love this game, had no idea there were mods

will play the hell out of it when I get my laptop back :c

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like this, but it crashes a lot.

Also the best mod is the one that adds the Gone with the Blastwave soldiers.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I like this, but it crashes a lot.

Also the best mod is the one that adds the Gone with the Blastwave soldiers.

Got that one too; i always use that sniper

Dadouw on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh heck yes. I forgot about this game.

I'm assuming it'll run ok on a netbook...

Veldrin on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    fookin plrawns

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So is there any way to make the soldiers completely autonomous for coordinated attacks or do you have to control them individually. Also what is the best way to summon equipped soldiers without having individually arm them all? Also what the hell are crabs for?

As7 on
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So is there any way to make the soldiers completely autonomous for coordinated attacks or do you have to control them individually. Also what is the best way to summon equipped soldiers without having individually arm them all? Also what the hell are crabs for?

Your soldiers will pick up whatever is next to them when they have no weapons/out of ammo. They can be set on paths you make to move around and can also be set to shoot on sight, be passive, or stay on path/station and shoot from there.

Crabs are for killing.

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Yeah i havent found a way to summon equipped soldiers without one of them having all the guns i ordered

maybe if you change the pattern of your cargo; like 1 soldier, 1 gun, 1 soldier, 1 gun, 1 soldier, etc

Dadouw on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    that's how it works.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682