As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STD testing cost?

Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I got an STD test back in October because I'm 24, had never had one, and it seemed like the responsible thing to get it done occasionally. The doctor told me that my insurance, which is generally excellent, would cover it. I just got a bill for $460 for that procedure. I'm going to try and figure out why my insurance didn't cover it, but is this cost reasonable? My impression was that STD testing is relatively cheap since we want people to do it semi-frequently.

Dance Commander on

• Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Depends on your coverage and what you pay before and after your annual deductible. Only your insurance can really say.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I went to my doctor at the local University hospital also with excellent health insurance. The overall bill for two tests (chlamydia and gonorrhea) was $330, my insurance covered $110. I found this FAR too expensive as you did for what should be regular tests for anyone not married.

Anyway, I went to Planned Parenthood the next time and paid my $20 co-pay and an extra $30 for an HIV test (shrug, can't be too careful) and that was all I've had to pay. I explained the previous situation and they said their tests didn't cost more than $150 total and they had forms if you're low income.

I've learned that if you donate blood they check for everything but chlamydia I think.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Call your insurance carrier. The doctor's billing department either didn't send them a bill, or the claim is being denied for some (possibly retarded) reason (ie, you didn't reach your deductible, out of network provider, technician jizzed on the HCFA 1500 form and it smudged the CPT codes, etc).

In either case, call the customer service number on the back of your insurance card and get it sorted immediately.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As it turns out I'm an idiot; the insurance did accept it but I wasn't anywhere close to my deductible last year so it just went towards that. It's been so long since I've paid a medical bill, as opposed to dental or vision, that I sort of forgot that deductibles exist. So that's no issue.
    I guess in the future I'll just donate blood regularly and occasionally supplement that with tests at Planned Parenthood. Really good tips there, Castle, thanks =)

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It can cost anywhere from $50-200 per test, depending on the lab and insurance. That is relatively cheap in the medical world, where you average doctors visit can cost $150+. This is also why condoms are such a good investment.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    It can cost anywhere from $50-200 per test, depending on the lab and insurance. That is relatively cheap in the medical world, where you average doctors visit can cost $150+. This is also why condoms are such a good investment.

You will still want to get tested for STDs that don't often show symptoms. That's why I listed the big C, G and HIV.

Anyway, you're welcome, DC. Stay safe and keep fucking that chicken.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have to guess that you actually got more than one STD test. The standard procedure is to look for the most common diseases, and each one requires a different antigen or study.

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't.. what?

In the future, look up your local county / state health services. Usual cost for a full array of tests including HIV: $0.

They also frequently provide free antibiotics for common infections.

And they're almost always anonymous, an added bonus.

adytum on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've learned that if you donate blood they check for everything but chlamydia I think.
    I don't think this is what you are suggesting but please please please do not ever donate blood as a way of getting a free blood test done. The tests they do are not foolproof and if someone got a disease from you it would really suck. If you are worried that you might have an STD or something and want to donate blood get an STD test done first, which anyone who is sexually active and not in a monogamous relationship should be doing anyway.

Neaden on
  • Options
    ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    bowen wrote: »

You will still want to get tested for STDs that don't often show symptoms. That's why I listed the big C, G and HIV.

Not to mention that there are fun bugs like HPV that can happily get past the whole condom thing, or if you engage in any kind of oral contact, oral herpes can get to the genital area or genital herpes can get to the oral area, etc. (consider dental dams)

Better off not having a partner until you've both been tested for each other's benefit. Of course, this may conflict with your lifestyle choices. Fun, eh? :(

ashridah on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Do not do this as a cheap STD test.

Rook on
  • Options
    AnarchiaAnarchia Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rook wrote: »

I'm also fairly certain that they test in batches as a cost-saving measure. So, yes, they test your blood, but it's been mixed together with the blood of twenty other people or something. And if any of you had tainted blood, it all gets thrown out.

Anarchia on
    SteamID : LizWiz
  • Options
    FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Usually your local planned parenting/health clinic should be able to do these tests for free. Doctor's offices and hospitals will gouge you out pretty hard.

Despite condoms being able to block most STDS, they aren't perfect. Still they are better than nothing. Until you are ready to settle down and be with one parnter and he/she is willing to do the same and you both have a clean bill of health, I would still recommend condom use.

FireWater on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Anarchia wrote: »

I'm also fairly certain that they test in batches as a cost-saving measure. So, yes, they test your blood, but it's been mixed together with the blood of twenty other people or something. And if any of you had tainted blood, it all gets thrown out.

someone's being a little too credulous about the silly urban legends they're hearing..

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah I'm pretty sure they don't do that. They will also screen you if you might be potentially infections and completely deny you.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    There are less expensive, less rigorous testing they can do for HIV for instance because it's cheaper, but the thing is those tests are designed to be slanted toward giving false positives not false negatives. So it's far more likely you'll test false positive because there's a partial antibody response to some of the HIV proteins (which can be stimulated by other foreign bodies) and then you'll just need to get a western blot test (which has higher specificity) to confirm.

So it's common to do ELISA for HIV first because it has high sensitivity (so very low risk of missing a positive) but low specificity (so relatively high risk of false positive), then follow up with western blot which is more specific to confirm if a positive is false or true, and usually they're false.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    Anarchia wrote: »

someone's being a little too credulous about the silly urban legends they're hearing..
    Every unit of blood is stored and tested individually. You never mix blood.

Plasma, on the other hand, is pooled for testing. However, they don't mix a giant batch of plasma and then test a sample of it, they pool a little bit from each donation and test that pool. Do you have any idea how much money they would lose if they pooled it prior to testing? It's also tested more individually if there are positive results, so they can throw away the bad stuff and use the rest.

But yeah, don't donate blood to get yourself tested. It's a terrible idea, and extremely unethical if you think there is any chance that you are actually infected with anything.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What the fuck. A simple std test costing half a grand? Most tests I've had are very cheap, if not provided for free at sexual health clinics.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    What the fuck. A simple std test costing half a grand? Most tests I've had are very cheap, if not provided for free at sexual health clinics.

To be fair, the tests do cost quite a bit to administer. It's just that often there are public health options where most or all of the cost is covered by the government. He went through his private doctor instead of a public clinic, and as he explained later it turned out his deductible hadn't been met yet so it didn't cover any of it.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man I am glad I am in Canada, the STI clinic I have been to is free.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A single test, such as the one to detect HPV in men could cost US$100.00.

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I wasn't suggesting that be the testing method if someone thinks they are infected. But if you're regularly safe and not at risk, I thought it worth pointing out that if you've donated blood they check for most things.

OnTheLastCastle on