As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Divorce/Apartment/Lawyer Choices

SloSlo Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright folks, here's the long story short:

Married a girl, married for 4 months, she wants a divorce, I move out of an apartment we had bought together 8 months previous to the marriage (14 months in total for those mathematically disinclined). With her saying she was going to get a loan out from the bank to pay me out of my share. A couple weeks later, she informs me she needs 6 months to create a better working background check before the loan would be allowed.

I'm frustrated, but at this point I'm incredibly hurt, and don't want to deal with anything so I shrug and say fine, 6 months. She agrees to pay mortage payments as long as she resides in the apartment.

Throughout this time I ask if she's been checking up on how prospects of the loan are looking, no communication on her end. 6 months pass, still no communication, only responded when I threaten legal action (Which I am no regretting not doing). Says she won't be able to get the loan, won't pursue other ways of getting it (Co-sign, etc), basically I feel like she lied to me about the whole fucking idea to live on cheap rent for 6 months. We agree to sell.

But wait! I say renovations need to be done before listing the place, she says her parents will do them. I scoff at this and STUPIDLY agree to wait till the middle of January to give them a list of things I knew needed doing, and for them to do them. Was planning to list the apartment sometime next week.

Her responses to my enquiries about renovations are that they're going 'good' and than to cease speaking to me.

At this point I feel like I've been taken for quite the jolly fuck-ride and try to get in touch with her parents to see if they (They adored me) can tell me what the fuck has been done, or if she was just lying through her teeth because she's a lazy sow. Sadly the phone number I had to reach them is out of service, and while I did remember her fathers skype, and sent him a message, that's far too unsubstantial for me.

So I'm calling lawyer tomorrow, something I wanted to avoid this ENTIRE fucking time like the plague, because I thought we could settle this like adults (She got one last one over on me I guess), and want to know what kind of information I should have on hand, if text message records will be any kind of proof as to her unwillingness to communicate, and her lies.

I'm really feeling stupid for not just going to a lawyer early on.

Oh, technically we're only seperated, and were going to finalize the divorce after the apartment sold so we qouldn't have any equity to split (Or require an actual lawyer). Fuck I am a sucker.

Oh, another retarded thing I did was give my apartment key to her so she could have a roommate come in to help pay for the mortage (which is apparently the guy she was sleeping with behind my back, aweeesome) so i have no access into my own apartment.

I need to basically kick these two jokers the fuck out, so I can fix the place up, sell it, and write this entire thing off as a bad fucking mistake of the PAST. Having 50+ thousand dollars of MY money being sat on by a retarded-child-woman and the man who fucks her does not sit well with me.

God did I make a lot of mistakes.

Slo on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You really just desperately need to get a lawyer, and listen to what he or she tells you.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lawyer up and don't write about it anymore on a public forum.

Esh on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You never should have moved out of the apartment in the first place.

But, yes- get a lawyer. She's taking you for a ride and you need to stop trying to handle this on your own. Stop thinking of this as a failed relationship and start thinking of it as a business partnership that failed. The only thing left to do is get back your share of the financial assets.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lawyer-up.

A good lawyer will keep you from doing something incorrectly. At this point you are in a bad position. You might have to evict them...which means letting them live there while you complete the eviction process. You REALLY need to get the advice of a good lawyer and find out what you can do.

Reverend_Chaos on
    “Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Esh wrote: »
    Lawyer up and don't write about it anymore on a public forum.

OnTheLastCastle on