As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Second Amendment] - What the Hell IS a militia!?

Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
(NOTE TO THREAD : Please read post 15 before proceeding. --Irond Will)

Edit: My apologies if this current topic is being debated, but I think it should be discusses separate of any threads about the Gifford shooting, however, I have made reference to it. I assume it has also been debated in the Gun thread, but I think the discussion deserves its own thread, outside of any other thread.

The many Variations of the Second Amendment to the United States' Constitution

In 1791, with the passing of the Bill of Rights, the 2nd Amendment was finally drafted to state:
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

What does this say? What does this mean?

Recently, I had the opportunity to listen to an interview with a Constitutional Lawyer out of Philly, and he inspired me to look up the history of the Constitution.

The first draft of the 2nd Amendment stated:
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; a well armed and well regulated militia being the best security of a free country but no person religiously scrupulous of bearing arms shall be compelled to render military service in person.

This was what James Madison firstly drafted up, two years before the BoR passage.

The following month:
A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, being the best security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; but no person religiously scrupulous shall be compelled to bear arms.

This draft is much clearer than the first, and it makes much more sense that the right of the people to bear arms relates directly to them forming a militia out of an act of security. It also states that the government cannot require us to own guns. This is an interesting draft because it addresses two things. It does not give the individual the right or the limitation to own a hand-gun, rather, it is set up as a policy decision for local and state legislatures to decide specifics on civilian weaponry. Further, in context, I believe it is important to understand that "arms" in the sense of the late 1700s relates directly to military weapons.

After deliberation, the House sent a new version to the Senate.
A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, being the best security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; but no one religiously scrupulous of bearing arms shall be compelled to render military service in person.

Again, this furthers the idea that a well regulated militia, being a body composed of by the people, is the best security of a free, individual state, that the right of the people to form a militia and bear military weapons shall not be infringed, but also not be mandatory. This is also rather clear that it does not enable the right to a citizen to own a weapon, it only speaks in reference to a militia.

The following day, the scribe changes the semi-colon after "infringed; but" to a "comma." (August 25th, 1789). Fair enough change, rather minor, the text itself doesn't change meaning.

However, as time went on, the founders really became swept up with this concept and the necessity of punctuation within the meaning. Finally, the ended the last bit of the clause (giving way for the possibility of a draft) and changed the amendment to read:
A well regulated militia, being the best security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

This is much more different, and it is the exact wording of our current amendment, but with much different punctuation. If we take out different parenthetical phrases, the amendment can read:

Simplest: A well regulated militia shall not be infringed.

Version A: A well regulated militia, being the best security of a free state, shall not be infringed.

Version B: A well regulated militia, the right of the people to keep and bear arms (military weapons), shall not be infringed.

Version C: Being the best security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

final: A well regulated militia, being the best security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The different variations all have different meanings, but those variations are completely unimportant, because what is final in this draft is what we ended up with, with only a minor change.
A well regulated militia being the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

One comma. One parenthetical phrase. The move to add "for the common defense" after "bear arms" was defeated in the Senate. I haven't delved into exactly why, but it's interesting that this came up. For the common defense of whom, of what?

Going back to the House, the House finally settled on a finalized and approved version of the Senate Bill, but then added the "necessary" clause.
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

What does this then say. Clearly, with some of the earlier drafts, it appears as though the Amendment, a law to our Constitution that lays out every law in America, applies to the formation of a militia by the people. Understanding that a federal government, or foreign entity could invade the sovereign states, there was a feeling that the people had a right to protect themselves.

This idea was also upheld in the courts from 1791 to 2008, as no Supreme Court during that time period ever struck down a ruling on banning guns in the hands of civilians. DC did it in the 70s, other cities and municipalities did it in the 1800s. And while there are numerous court cases that reached USSC, they never overturned bans on weapons.

In 2008, Chicago passed its ban on hand-guns, and the Supreme Court, for the first time in history, struck down a ban on weapons. Why the sudden change?

In my opinion, with issues dealing with local levels of crime, violence, and possession of weapons, I do not believe 9 lawyers in DC, who are not elected, cannot be fired (easily), should have a say in the laws of my state and local government. When it comes to human rights issues on a national level, absolutely. The USSC has a duty to decide these laws, but when it comes to something that, in Chicago or DC varies wildly from Puxatawney, the USSC should not be involved. It should be decided by the people through their elected legislature, and if the people are unhappy with the legislature, the next election will show that.

This conversation has come to rise through the shooting of Congresswoman Gifford, and I think it's an interesting conversation, looking at history, to analyze that the 2nd Amendment does not apply to individual citizens, but directly to militias, and that there is a reason for local legislatures to limit access to weapons in order to curb violence. Being that there is no militia's today, or the closest equivalent being the National Guard, which is federally run anyway, the 2nd Amendment appears to be completely void in today's context. It is outdated and unnecessary.

I am in no way advocating taking freedoms away from anyone. The ability to own a gun was, in my opinion and reading of history, never a right, nor does it make you any more free than someone without a gun. My argument is neither, it's that this isn't something to be decided on a national level because the community in Houston has a different necessity than the community in Chicago. Therefor, it should be left up to each municipality - a VERY conservative stance for this ardent liberal.

PSN: DignifiedPauper
3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
Dignified Pauper on

• Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited January 2011
    In my opinion, with issues dealing with local levels of crime, violence, and possession of weapons, I do not believe 9 lawyers in DC, who are not elected, cannot be fired (easily), should have a say in the laws of my state and local government. When it comes to human rights issues on a national level, absolutely. The USSC has a duty to decide these laws, but when it comes to something that, in Chicago or DC varies wildly from Puxatawney, the USSC should not be involved. It should be decided by the people through their elected legislature, and if the people are unhappy with the legislature, the next election will show that.

Then your beef is with the 14th Amendment, not the 2nd. And you're right, that puts you in some strange company.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I see your point. But, what you seem to be suggesting is that Constitutional rights vary based on where you live. If the 2nd Amendment means one thing in rural Kentucky but another in inner-city Detroit, how about other Constitutional rights? Should abortion rights be more limited in a very conservative area versus a very liberal one?

Sure, state and local government have some discretion when it comes to how loose or restrictive they make their guns laws. But if the 2nd Amendment is to mean anything, there needs to be a limit to how much a given government can restrict that right.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The other part of my point is that the 2nd Amendment does not pertain to an individual's right to own guns, but rather, the people's right to form a militia in the security of their state. The 2nd Amendment, from my reading and from many Constitutional Lawyers' perspectives, neither grants a right, nor denies the privilege of gun ownership, but rather leaves it open for local municipalities to decide based upon necessity. The one this it CLEARLY does grant as a right is the ability to form an armed militia. (I don't think there's a one man militia, personally)

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The other part of my point is that the 2nd Amendment does not pertain to an individual's right to own guns, but rather, the people's right to form a militia in the security of their state. The 2nd Amendment, from my reading and from many Constitutional Lawyers' perspectives, neither grants a right, nor denies the privilege of gun ownership, but rather leaves it open for local municipalities to decide based upon necessity. The one this it CLEARLY does grant as a right is the ability to form an armed militia. (I don't think there's a one man militia, personally)

course real militias don't exist anymore

their role is filled mostly by the national guard

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The 2nd Amendment makes no mention of local municipalities. The Constitution itself does not grant any powers to any government other than the Federal one created by the Constitution.

And the Constitution does not "grant" rights. It recognizes some, but not all, already-existing rights. Hence the text of the 9th Amendment:
    The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

There was a debate as to whether to even include the Bill of Rights in the Constitution, as people like Jefferson were worried that it would be construed as an exhaustive list of rights, rather than just an emphasis of certain rights.

In any event, SCOTUS has clarified the point of whether an individual right to bear arms exists in the Heller and McDonald cases.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

course real militias don't exist anymore

their role is filled mostly by the national guard

This is my main beef with the 2nd - it was based on the necessity of common national defense, which at the time was provided by the militia organized largely on local levels. I personally also disagree with the interpretation as a basic individual right to the extent the court has supported it at this point, but it's not going anywhere unfortunately.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In the US, the militia is currently defined by the Militia Act of 1903.

There are two parts to the US militia:
    1. The organized militia: That's the National Guard.
    2. The unorganized militia: Every able-bodied male* older than 16 and younger than 45. In other words, the vast majority of forumers are currently part of the unorganized militia.

* I don't know how this stacks with the 14th Amendment, but perhaps women are now included as well.

enc0re on
  • Options
    Peter PrinciplePeter Principle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This conversation has come to rise through the shooting of Congresswoman Gifford, and I think it's an interesting conversation, looking at history, to analyze that the 2nd Amendment does not apply to individual citizens, but directly to militias,

The right is granted to the people, not the militias. That suggests an individual rights interpretation to me. Note that it's the same phrase used elsewhere in the BoR to refer to other individual rights.

Peter Principle on
    "A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business." - Eric Hoffer, _The True Believer_
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

The idea that you've expressed in this paragraph has consequences far beyond gun ownership, and is, frankly, pants-on-head crazy. If a state or local government is infringing the legal rights of a minority group of citizens - for example, banning black people from going to the same schools as white people - then it both the role and the responsibility of the federal court system to step in and protect that minority.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This conversation has come to rise through the shooting of Congresswoman Gifford, and I think it's an interesting conversation, looking at history, to analyze that the 2nd Amendment does not apply to individual citizens, but directly to militias,

The right is granted to the people, not the militias. That suggests an individual rights interpretation to me. Note that it's the same phrase used elsewhere in the BoR to refer to other individual rights.

What would be the real-world implication of an individual rights interpretation? The government still has the capacity to regulate individual rights (and in fact such regulation is clearly implied by the Second Amendment itself).

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    One militia per turn can be raised from each state you control at a cost of two food. They have A1 and D2, with a +1 bonus on all dices while entrenched.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Wanton DudeWanton Dude __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Feral wrote: »

What would be the real-world implication of an individual rights interpretation? The government still has the capacity to regulate individual rights (and in fact such regulation is clearly implied by the Second Amendment itself).

I'd guess like the swiss where all males of a certain age have a weapon and if something were to happen would form a militia. The Swiss don't really have gun crime either.

Wanton Dude on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    enc0re wrote: »
    In the US, the militia is currently defined by the Militia Act of 1903.

There are two parts to the US militia:
    1. The organized militia: That's the National Guard.
    2. The unorganized militia: Every able-bodied male* older than 16 and younger than 45. In other words, the vast majority of forumers are currently part of the unorganized militia.

* I don't know how this stacks with the 14th Amendment, but perhaps women are now included as well.

This is exactly right.

(BTW, the Naval Reserve, and a few state military reserves - like the California State Military Reserve - are also considered parts of the organized militia. The California reserve sometimes gets deployed to those huge wildfires we get every summer.)

Feral on

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    okay

before this thread gets rolling let me make this clear

be polite

don't call people names

don't make a big show out of acting as though an intricate knowledge of firearm specs is a necessary precondition to having a view on firearm regulation

it isn't

in fact, i want this thread to skirt the minutia of firearm operation as much as possible

i will throw cards on anyone who does any of this shit on either side of the debate

you have been warned

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

What would be the real-world implication of an individual rights interpretation?

I think it would look like what it looks like right now, given that's what the SC has ruled.
    The government still has the capacity to regulate individual rights (and in fact such regulation is clearly implied by the Second Amendment itself).

Are you refering to the 'well regulated' phrase? The counter-argument to that I usually see is that 'well-regulated' was a phrase that meant 'well trained' or 'properly functioning', as opposed to 'heavily controlled by the government'. It was a phrase derived from double-barrel rifles and the desire to adjust sights so that both barrels would strike a target as close to the same place as possible. A rifle thus sighted was said to be 'well-regulated', and by analogy a militia that could perform well in close order drill was also said to be 'well regulated'.

Peter Principle on
    "A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business." - Eric Hoffer, _The True Believer_
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Modern Man wrote: »
    I see your point. But, what you seem to be suggesting is that Constitutional rights vary based on where you live. If the 2nd Amendment means one thing in rural Kentucky but another in inner-city Detroit, how about other Constitutional rights? Should abortion rights be more limited in a very conservative area versus a very liberal one?

Sure, state and local government have some discretion when it comes to how loose or restrictive they make their guns laws. But if the 2nd Amendment is to mean anything, there needs to be a limit to how much a given government can restrict that right.

And that limit should be decided, as it has in the past, by the SC. Of course, we probably disagree with to what extent the limit should pertain, but there are some things that I think every sensible person can agree on. (Military hardware etc)

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Are you refering to the 'well regulated' phrase? The counter-argument to that I usually see is that 'well-regulated' was a phrase that meant 'well trained' or 'properly functioning', as opposed to 'heavily controlled by the government'. It was a phrase derived from double-barrel rifles and the desire to adjust sights so that both barrels would strike a target as close to the same place as possible. A rifle thus sighted was said to be 'well-regulated', and by analogy a militia that could perform well in close order drill was also said to be 'well regulated'.

Okay.

So if we enacted requirements on gun ownership like: a gun owner has to be trained, has to refresh their training periodically, and has to submit their weapon to functional inspection; it sounds like we could require all of these things even if we decide that firearms ownership is an individual right.

Feral on

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I'd guess like the swiss where all males of a certain age have a weapon and if something were to happen would form a militia. The Swiss don't really have gun crime either.

Switzerland is a pretty terrible comparison. More people live in New York City than live in Switzerland, the scale and circumstances of the two countries are completely different.

I guess what I've never understood about this whole debate is where in the 2nd amendment people are seeing a right to own any weapon they want and as many as they want. It's always seemed open to regulation to me.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Okay.

So if we enacted requirements on gun ownership like: a gun owner has to be trained, has to refresh their training periodically, and has to submit their weapon to functional inspection; it sounds like we could require all of these things even if we decide that firearms ownership is an individual right.

Indeed, and it seems that's about what the Supreme Court as said (as it has been explained to me by others). Although as a corollary argument the implementation of such programs might be limited by other rights and practical considerations.

Peter Principle on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Peen: regarding number and type of guns, there are a few things going on. First is that gun ownership is a hobby, and like any hobby, it can turn into a collection. Second is that some of the more paranoid gun owners feel that a restriction on the number of guns you can own is a slippery slope - if they can limit you to 10 guns, why not 2? or 1? Third, a legal limit to the number of guns an individual can own may imply registration, which is its own can of worms. Fourth, most gun owners don't own huge numbers of guns, they only own 1 or 2.

Feral on

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Fencingsax wrote: »

And that limit should be decided, as it has in the past, by the SC. Of course, we probably disagree with to what extent the limit should pertain, but there are some things that I think every sensible person can agree on. (Military hardware etc)
    My view on regulation of rights goes like this- let's say government can regulate rights on a scale of 0 (no regulation) to 100 (complete ban). The courts decide just how far government can go on that scale. So, let's say SCOTUS decides firearms can be regulated up to 50. The Feds and state government then have the option of passing laws that go up to that point, but not beyond. Kentucky may go up to 10, New York may choose to go to 50. But no one can go to 51.

The Feds can also further set limits within the limits imposed by SCOTUS. They can pass laws that limit the states to a range of 20-40, for example.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

The idea that you've expressed in this paragraph has consequences far beyond gun ownership, and is, frankly, pants-on-head crazy. If a state or local government is infringing the legal rights of a minority group of citizens - for example, banning black people from going to the same schools as white people - then it both the role and the responsibility of the federal court system to step in and protect that minority.

I'd just like to point out: Whenever someone mentions those oh so unelected "lawyers," remember you are living in a Republic, A representative democracy.

i.e., You elect representatives to make a majority of the laws and decisions in this country, it is not a direct democracy. The appointment of Judges is part of that representative decision making in two branches of government (appointment by the executive, confirmation by the legislative). And the separation of their appointment from the direct whims of the people is to help insulate them from the sometimes... frantic nature of the Electorate.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Okay.

So should we make requirements to vote as well? I think we tried that once.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Okay.

One of these things is not like the other.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Comparing gun ownership to voting rights might not be a good idea, particularly for the Gun owners.

For instance: you have to be registered to vote.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

My view on regulation of rights goes like this- let's say government can regulate rights on a scale of 0 (no regulation) to 100 (complete ban). The courts decide just how far government can go on that scale. So, let's say SCOTUS decides firearms can be regulated up to 50. The Feds and state government then have the option of passing laws that go up to that point, but not beyond. Kentucky may go up to 10, New York may choose to go to 50. But no one can go to 51.

The Feds can also further set limits within the limits imposed by SCOTUS. They can pass laws that limit the states to a range of 20-40, for example.

I agree with this, actually. Legislative branch can set minimum limits of compliance, and the judiciary sets the maximum regulation, and the states decide where to be within that range. The one thing you made kind of unclear is that I don't think that the legislative can set an upper limit of compliance. For example, if Massachusetts wants to have more than the specified possible regulation for pollution or whatever, that's their business as long as it's within the bounds of what the SC has deemed Constitutional.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Okay.

You're right. We have 4 Amendments clarifying and making it easier each time to not infringe on an individual's right to vote.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Okay.

You're right. We have 4 Amendments clarifying and making it easier each time to not infringe on an individual's right to vote.

You know I still have to show qualifications and register to vote......

And going to the polling station isn't going to kill someone if I fill out a ballot wrong. If you want a right that entails deadly force than you need to show you can exercise it properly.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

This is true, but the framing suggests that the right is given to individuals not as a 'natural right', but because of the necessity of security and the paradigm for providing it. If security is necessary for a free state, and security is to be provided by regulated militia, then the security of the state depends of the right of the citizens to bear arms.

The right is stated as that of the individual citizen, but stops short of saying 'because you're born with the natural right to be well armed'. The individual's right was inferred from the method of providing for the common defense (largely self-equipped militias).

While I have a philosophical problem with the individual rights interpretation (the country will far apart or devolve into tyrany if you can't be armed to the teeth? Really?) the bigger practical problem I see with it is that it imposes an incredibly stiff standard for regulating weapon sales for basically no practical gain whatsoever. What really do we lose in security if Gun Loving Citizen Joe can't buy a supressor for his handgun or an assault rifle? How does that in any way threaten the nation?

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Peen: regarding number and type of guns, there are a few things going on. First is that gun ownership is a hobby, and like any hobby, it can turn into a collection. Second is that some of the more paranoid gun owners feel that a restriction on the number of guns you can own is a slippery slope - if they can limit you to 10 guns, why not 2? or 1? Third, a legal limit to the number of guns an individual can own may imply registration, which is its own can of worms. Fourth, most gun owners don't own huge numbers of guns, they only own 1 or 2.

Well, also, restrictions on numbers wouldn't really do anything. I mean, I know it's somewhat trite (if true, to some extent) to say that "the only people this will affect are people who care about the law), but in this case that's totally pointless. Someone really only needs one gun to perform gun violence, and for shooting sprees, two pistols. Owning more than that doesn't make anyone more dangerous, and if they carry it on their person I'm pretty sure it makes them less dangerous than a guy with two pistols and extra magazines.

I guess I'm saying that the only reasons to ban someone from owning a large number of guns is either if they're either supplying thugs (already illegal, and I'm pretty sure that most people who own many guns are NOT doing this) or if you like restricting guns to feel good about having restricted guns, without actually doing anything to stop gun crime.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The more I think about it, the more I dislike the second amendment. It seems to say pretty clearly that the reason people have a right to bear arms is to form a militia to defend the state- not for hunting or self-defense against criminals or whatever. And, back in 1776 in rural america, they had a good point- a militia was a good defense back then against things like pirates and indians. The hunting rifles of a militia were basically the same weapons that the regular army used (or maybe better).

Nowadays, it just seems antiquated. First we have a massive regular military to defend us. Also, if somehow the regular military wasn't enough, a bunch of civilians with hunting rifles would be completely useless. Handguns would be especially useless- what are you going to do with a handgun against a tank or a bomber? In order for them to credibly defend the nation, we'd have to allow people the right to own any weapon they want, with no regulation. You want your own tank? go for it. Hell, go buy your own private nuclear bomb, too. Because that's the only way they'd stand a chance against a regular army.

Hopefully everyone agrees that letting everyone own their own tank would be a bad idea. That's why I think we should recognize that the 2nd amendment is antiquated and just get rid of it entirely. We could still allow private ownership of guns, but not call it a human right- like we do with cars, basically.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Sure but none of that addresses how regulation is unconstitutional, which is what some folks shout whenever it comes up. Some people want the Constitution to say that they can have as many guns as they want and whatever kind they want and I just don't see that.

Peen on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There was a debate as to whether to even include the Bill of Rights in the Constitution, as people like Jefferson were worried that it would be construed as an exhaustive list of rights, rather than just an emphasis of certain rights.
    And lots of people do think of it as being exactly that, as the "inventing rights" claim shows.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Okay.

And going to the polling station isn't going to kill someone if I fill out a ballot wrong. If you want a right that entails deadly force than you need to show you can exercise it properly.

To my knowledge you don't have to show if you've been educated, have any knowledge of the candidates, their positions, or any other information that pertains to your vote. When I have bought a firearm I provided my driver's license and submitted to an ATF background check, every single time. I don't even have to do that when I vote.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I agree with this, actually. Legislative branch can set minimum limits of compliance, and the judiciary sets the maximum regulation, and the states decide where to be within that range. The one thing you made kind of unclear is that I don't think that the legislative can set an upper limit of compliance. For example, if Massachusetts wants to have more than the specified possible regulation for pollution or whatever, that's their business as long as it's within the bounds of what the SC has deemed Constitutional.
    I'm sort of rusty on the concept, but there is a concept called pre-emption. Congress can expicitly say that the individual states can't go beyond 40 in terms of regulation, even though SCOTUS allows regulation to go up to 50.

It comes down to whether, in terms of regulation, Congress has specifically decided to set a floor, ceiling or both. In the example of pollution, if Congress passed a law saying "cars shall not emit more than X particles of whatever" that would leave the door open for states to have more stringent standards. On the other hand, if they passed a law that said something like "the national standard for emissions of X is whatever" that would be read as pre-empting all relevant state laws (the laws would be more complicated, obviously).

Basically, Congress has the power to set both the floor and the ceiling in terms of gun control, if it wants to. As this point, it's only set a floor.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Not to make a causation/correlation argument but as a general rule the more restricted gun ownership is in a state the less gun crime that state has per capita.

Simply put the US as a country has a FUCKLOAD of guns per person. We're one of the heaviest armed civilian populations in the world and among developed countries our death rates from guns is off the scales.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Okay.

To my knowledge you don't have to show if you've been educated, have any knowledge of the candidates, their positions, or any other information that pertains to your vote. When I have bought a firearm I provided my driver's license and submitted to an ATF background check, every single time. I don't even have to do that when I vote.

Nope But now you're shifting goal posts. I have to show I'm qualified to vote as defined by the constitution and U.S. Supreme Court.

And again, I can't get anyone killed if I fuck up a ballot. So sorry that there are restrictions on your right to firearms, but they're there to protect everyone else's right to not get shot.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    agentk13agentk13 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Shivahn wrote: »

Well, also, restrictions on numbers wouldn't really do anything. I mean, I know it's somewhat trite (if true, to some extent) to say that "the only people this will affect are people who care about the law), but in this case that's totally pointless. Someone really only needs one gun to perform gun violence, and for shooting sprees, two pistols. Owning more than that doesn't make anyone more dangerous, and if they carry it on their person I'm pretty sure it makes them less dangerous than a guy with two pistols and extra magazines.

I guess I'm saying that the only reasons to ban someone from owning a large number of guns is either if they're either supplying thugs (already illegal, and I'm pretty sure that most people who own many guns are NOT doing this) or if you like restricting guns to feel good about having restricted guns, without actually doing anything to stop gun crime.

The idea is that the guns for thugs have to start somewhere, and most criminal suppliers buy in bulk. By lowering the number of guns an individual can procure, exporting guns from Texas and Virginia would be made infeasible.

agentk13 on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the more I dislike the second amendment. It seems to say pretty clearly that the reason people have a right to bear arms is to form a militia to defend the state- not for hunting or self-defense against criminals or whatever. And, back in 1776 in rural america, they had a good point- a militia was a good defense back then against things like pirates and indians. The hunting rifles of a militia were basically the same weapons that the regular army used (or maybe better).

Nowadays, it just seems antiquated. First we have a massive regular military to defend us. Also, if somehow the regular military wasn't enough, a bunch of civilians with hunting rifles would be completely useless. Handguns would be especially useless- what are you going to do with a handgun against a tank or a bomber? In order for them to credibly defend the nation, we'd have to allow people the right to own any weapon they want, with no regulation. You want your own tank? go for it. Hell, go buy your own private nuclear bomb, too. Because that's the only way they'd stand a chance against a regular army.

Hopefully everyone agrees that letting everyone own their own tank would be a bad idea. That's why I think we should recognize that the 2nd amendment is antiquated and just get rid of it entirely. We could still allow private ownership of guns, but not call it a human right- like we do with cars, basically.

Right, the best a civilian can do against a military is to whip up a bomb in his basement and blow it up - no militia in this day and age actually puts up a stand up fight because they'd all die

In the event of like, zerg invasion, the military will draft everyone and distribute assault rifles, so there's no need for everyone to own their own. Handguns are as you say fairly useless in any militia context or for hunting, so I'm not sure why they have the same legal protections and long guns

override367 on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Okay.

We do have requirements to vote, and always will. You must register to vote, you must have proof of residence, you must be at least 18. I can't think of any states that allow residents of mental hospitals or prisons to cast ballots, and some won't let you after your sentence is over either.

Captain Carrot on