As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trailers:MoneyBall? More Like Broke Brad Pitt

• Options
    shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh come on. Two lines off the top of my head for the Expendables.

"Remember this shit at Christmas!!" from the shotgun scene.

And who can forget the instant classic "Next time, I'll deflate all your balls". I had my own internal standing ovation at that moment. They had to know what they were doing with the movie. When Randy Couture says "It's not easy being green" it made no sense and every character in the scene looked at him with a WTF? expression. It's like they were mirroring the audience reaction to cheesy lines in old action movies.

shorttimin on
  • Options
    FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Pony wrote: »
    like, even the "music video" approach works okay if it shows a bunch of compelling scenes and conveys what the movie is about

like when I watched the trailer for Battle: Los Angeles, I was like "oh this is a movie about a squad of soldiers fighting against an alien invasion. I assume it focuses on the soldiers itself and not like, a single dad and his plucky daughter"

according to what i have read of the film, that is accurate

i appreciate that.

I actually think it's an approach that works great for trailers. I don't necessarily want to know the plot point-for-point in the trailer -- the Inception trailer had me hooked right away because it seemed super intriguing. It piqued my curiosity.

The thing that bothers me is when the whole movie isn't much more sophisticated. Like Transformers 2 (whose trailer had me somewhat excited to see the movie, despite my better instincts).

Fartacus on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i do have to know what the movie is about if i want to see it

i don't need the plot spelled out to me, but i do need to know the premise

Inception's first trailer just had me going "huh?"

this was my first thing i saw of Inception:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGuwA04z9Ro

aside from "your mind is the scene of the crime", which doesn't even tell you anything

it's just a bunch of random special effects shots!

this didn't intrigue me, it made me groan and ignore Inception until the second trailer came out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSyQ3K0xnYg

this intrigued me a little more. I was like "Okay, this looks like an actual movie with a plot and characters and not just some SFX company's demo reel"

i still didn't quite get what the movie was about. something about dreaming and idea-stealing? but at the very least i was intrigued

then the third trailer came out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziixLbLKBXU

this trailer is amazing. if you consider trailers minor works of creative art all on their own, distinct from the films they promote (which i do), this trailer is a work of art

it tells you what you need to know. Inception is a heist movie, but the heist inside the mind. It's an ensemble cast, and a rather fantastic one at that, and some of the characters clearly have their own backstory stuff going on that is larger than just the heist story (turns only to be true of Dom, but whatever)

but that first trailer? That first trailer, which some might call simply a "teaser" because it doesn't really tell you anything, i just find those kind of annoying.

Pony on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well yeah, isn't that why they call them teasers? They give you (a) the information that X movie is coming out, and (b) a sense of the tone of the movie, and not much else.

Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdaMGcOyfjM

There's a new Kung Fu Panda movie coming, and in case you didn't see the first one, it's animated and a bit silly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU6Djgf0gNo

Animated superhero a bit past his prime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWw0ov-cAUg&feature=related

Batman's back and he's better than ever (hey laah, hey lah, Batman's back)

Obviously if the Inception teaser was all anyone got, no one would have seen it. But early release teasers aren't meant to be full trailers. They spark interest/curiousity and get brand recognition in early, so when they can put out a more thorough trailer, people are already interested.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Forar wrote: »
    Though I did manage to dodge Legion despite saying the same thing about that.

Be thankful. Legion was fucking terrible. To quote a reviewer:
    Legion has the audacity to set itself up for sequels without giving the audience enough compelling reason to care about this first installment.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is a pretty awesome trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrIiYSdEe4E

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Day one. Seriously.

Was that a power armour suit attacking a bi-plane?? I don't recall seeing the future flashes in previous trailers, and now I am prepared for damned near anything to happen at any time in that movie.

And I'm glad to hear I dodged a bullet on Legion. I admit my standards are pretty lax in regards to interest, but when it comes time to actually pay to see something, I'm not disappointed often. Only a handful of exceptions come to mind. The Avengers, Species 2, The Last Airbender and Season of the Witch come to mind.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I am totally gonna go see Sucker Punch

Godfather on
  • Options
    PixiStyxPixiStyx Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arrrgh. Pandora keeps playing teasers from No Strings Attached. And it's driving me craaazy. :evil:

I am curious about Cowboys vs Aliens, though. But I haven't read the comics and I feel like i should have.

PixiStyx on
    RLFhalf2-1.gif -A webcomic
  • Options
    FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Suckerpunch looks like dogshit, but fun dogshit

We'll see!

Fartacus on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have no idea what to think about Cowboys and Aliens. When I first heard the title, I was expecting it to be zany. The trailer has a distinct lack of zaniness.

Also, a bit late here, but:

I'll see it and I'll probably enjoy too. Bettany hasn't done a non-"religious" movie since A Knight's Tale has he? At least nothing I can remember off the top of my head.

Paul Bettany was in Master & Commander. He was the doctor.

SteevL on
  • Options
    JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    SteevL wrote: »
    Also, a bit late here, but:

I'll see it and I'll probably enjoy too. Bettany hasn't done a non-"religious" movie since A Knight's Tale has he? At least nothing I can remember off the top of my head.

Paul Bettany was in Master & Commander. He was the doctor.

He's also the voice of JARVIS in both Iron Man movies.

If that counts.

JyrenB on
    osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Are you ready to Scream again?

Scream 4

It looks like a parody of Scream 1 (which is somewhat appropriate). Which should at least put it above any of the Scary Movie films. Based on the trailer alone I'm not really excited, but if it is doing what I think it is I am really looking forward to it.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Looks good to me.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wow, Scream 4 looks surprisingly good.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Really?

All the Screams have been great - decent.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Really?

All the Screams have been great - decent.

Exactly. Viewed through that lens, yeah, 4 looks like it really has potential. If this was a trailer for Scream 1 I'd pass it off as likely rubbish and wait for DVD.

(Also: I cracked up at the "Name the remake of the groundbreaking..." response).

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I saw the Green Hornet last night (Awful Movie) and they had that Battle: Los Angeles trailer attached to it. I'm a complete sucker for futuristic alien invasion of Earth movies and will see it. However, the thing that always bothers me is why is the aim always to extinguish the native population? What happened to the Half Life style plot where the Aliens simply annex the natives into their empire?

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Waffen wrote: »
    I saw the Green Hornet last night (Awful Movie) and they had that Battle: Los Angeles trailer attached to it. I'm a complete sucker for futuristic alien invasion of Earth movies and will see it. However, the thing that always bothers me is why is the aim always to extinguish the native population? What happened to the Half Life style plot where the Aliens simply annex the natives into their empire?

Because that show is called 'Roots'.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Assuming we're able to mount any sort of significant resistance, wiping us out en masse might simply be easier/more effective than trying to quell a population of billions plotting to overthrow you at the first chance.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Forar wrote: »
    Assuming we're able to mount any sort of significant resistance, wiping us out en masse might simply be easier/more effective than trying to quell a population of billions plotting to overthrow you at the first chance.

Yeah, the point of resistance almost always seems to be pushing the enemy to the genocide or ignore point, and hoping like hell they have a conscience.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So..2011..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP6zhpST3Ro

super powered kids being murdered....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYfn4CqChqo

Suing the Devil...then having him walk into the courtroom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZJ0TP4nTaE

Matt Damon breaking the rules

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3U9RsXeJ3w

and to finish...Bradley Cooper with superpowers....;-)

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

All this trailer really makes me want to see is a movie based off of the priest from Hellsing. That dude was nuts.

Master and Commander!

MASTER AND COMMANDER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzG4K2m_j5U

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wow, they're not even leaving space between the cliches and terrible lines anymore.

"You were given these powers for a reason." "They're here." "I'm not going to let anyone hurt you. "I'm not leaving." "You can't stop what's coming." "If they kill you we are all gonna die." "You're more powerful together." "You have no idea what I'm capable of."

Really unique and interesting dialogue there.

All those trailers are terrible. :/

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The explosions seem to be a bit small for a film associated with Michael Bay.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh my god, is that Suing the Devil trailer real?

What happened to Malcolm McDowell's career? Maybe they paid him 8 TRILLION DOLLARS?

Waldo on
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    when I was younger I had a drinking problem

now I just have drinking solutions
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/weeman3
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man I'm actually sad after that Suing the Devil trailer. Such a good premise turned into proselytization... What a shame.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Erg both LA and Cowboys V Aliens look bad

Cowboys versus Aliens because it looks like it takes itself too goddamn seriously

LA because we just had Skyline and it was fucking horrible the first time

override367 on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man I'm actually sad after that Suing the Devil trailer. Such a good premise turned into proselytization... What a shame.

Yeah. Could have been so awesome, and then yeah.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The only thing Battle: LA and Skyline have in common is that they are both about alien invasions. I don't see how you can make any inferences about the quality of Battle: LA from that.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Michelle Rodriguez? Really?

ARGH I can't stand her

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    EDIT: RE Suing the devil

Its a movie from my country.

OFC its going to be like that, all the ppl who control the purse strings are hardcore christians.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That suing the devil trailer can't be real. That second half has the worst acting i've ever seen in a movie ever.

It sets a new standard, my God.

Godfather on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't understand what is so funny. I can totally see peoples' deeply held views about eternity and the nature of our existence being swayed but such a masterful piece.
    Seriously? I mean, do the creators honestly believe that people will be converted by something like that? Are there people out there who will be converted by something like that?

rndmhero on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Christians don't make movies to convert people. They make movies that affirm their worldview. Every film I've seen made by Christians is for Christians and not really anybody else. It's just a symptom of the insular nature of the church as a whole.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The only thing Battle: LA and Skyline have in common is that they are both about alien invasions. I don't see how you can make any inferences about the quality of Battle: LA from that.

Well the guys that produced Skyline did the special effects for Battle: LA. And they were sued for making Skyline while they were doing the effects for Battle: LA or something like that. At least that's what I read.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

There are many similar shots in the trailers of the two, however the shot with him and his girlfriend when he leaves is straight out of Independence Day.

Ahh now that was a good bad movie, I'm hoping this one is like that one but I just have a feeling it's going to suck on every level because it takes itself incredibly seriously

override367 on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man Independence Day was great fun.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Godfather wrote: »
    That suing the devil trailer can't be real. That second half has the worst acting i've ever seen in a movie ever.

It sets a new standard, my God.

What's really bad is I was really into it for the first half of the trailer. McDowell as Satan, awesome! It was looking to be a really funny movie. Then BAM! Here's a bunch of hardcore serious religious stuff.

It also looks like it may have an anti-"elitist" slant with all the people defending the devil.

Tomanta on
This discussion has been closed.