As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying a used 360 -- how do I make sure it's not banned?

DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm buying a 360 to replace the one that got stolen out of my apartment a little white ago. I'm probably going to buy a used one from Craigslist because I'm cheap like that. Is there any easy way to tell if it's been Live-banned before giving the guy my money? Does Microsoft have a website where I can put in the serial number or something?

Daedalus on

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    You pretty much cannot, beyond seeing if the holographic warranty sticker is still intact. But if they got banned for software mods via their hard drive, that wouldn't help you there either.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Since you cannot know for sure without buying it, get it in writing from the guy that he says it's not banned, and if it is, he will compensate you by returning your money or something.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You can also check by doing the network connection test in the Xbox. If the connection to Live fails, then check the error codes. A Z value of 8015 - 190D = banned.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I guess I'll just insist on doing a network check. Thanks.

Daedalus on