As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Age Origins question: base to ultimate edition

Peter PrinciplePeter Principle Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I've got DA:O, the basic game installed. I have in my hands DA:O Ultimate Edition. I'd like to play Awakenings. Two questions:

1) How do I install the Awakenings portion? I put in disc 1 and autoplayed it, and it just gave me the standard "start playing" popup, no thing that indicates "Hey, you don't have Awakenings installed, want to do that now?"

2) The game is borrowed. If I somehow manage to accomplish 1) above, am I going to eff ess up for the actual owner of the game if they should want it back to install the game on their computer at their home? ETA - not talking about the DLC here, just Awakenings (which I'm assuming comes on one or the other of the discs).

"A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business." - Eric Hoffer, _The True Believer_
Peter Principle on

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't know the answer, but the people in the Dragon Age thread over in G&T would.

Esh on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, the thing is that Bioware makes you register the cd key to a bioware account. So if he's registered the cd key for ultimate already, I'm fairly certain that all the DLC is one use only. Bioware zealously tries to make used copies unattractive because much of the content is only licensed to the first account it's registered to. Now, if your friend hasn't registered the game to his bioware account yet, you could potentially fuck him over by registering the CD key and DLC code to your account first. Which, just to be absolutely clear, would be a major dickhole move.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    Which, just to be absolutely clear, would be a major dickhole move.

Yeah. Buy your own copy, duder. There's a reason used game retailers don't take PC games. This being common knowledge, I don't understand why anyone would "loan out" a PC game.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Peter PrinciplePeter Principle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So bioware totally spikes the ability to transfer ownership of a game?

Peter Principle on
    "A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business." - Eric Hoffer, _The True Believer_
  • AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Yep, most PC games do. Doubly so with DLC content, you can only use keys once.

Aurin on
    edited January 2011
    Aurin wrote: »

Wow, what a bunch of bullshit. So, my daughter originally installed this copy on Grandma's computer. Is she going to be able to install and play it on the computer at my house or the computer at her mom's house, or does this racket limit you to only one computer (or even one installation) as well?

Peter Principle on
  • AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Wow, what a bunch of bullshit. So, my daughter originally installed this copy on Grandma's computer. Is she going to be able to install and play it on the computer at my house or the computer at her mom's house, or does this racket limit you to only one computer (or even one installation) as well?

Well, with the bioware account, she should be able to play it on any computer. With Dragon Age, you have to be logged in to access the DLC content, for example, and I don't believe it actually tracks the number of times you install it. I could be wrong about that though, so it's worth checking into, I'm sure Bioware's FAQ for the game will have an answer on install limits.

Aurin on
    edited January 2011

Uh, they do the same with console versions as well. For instance, if you get Mass Effect 2 for xbox or pc, the Cerberus Network code that unlocks the free DLC you get with the game is only usable once. So if you give the game to someone else, they have to buy the Cerberus Network and associated DLC but they can still install the game.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, although it sucks each copy is essentially "one use" its tied to an account at bioware, not a specific computer. You should be able to reinstall the game/ access anything you could before as long as you get into whatever account your daughter made.

That said... you might have to repurchase the game for your friend unless he wants to share accounts with you and your daughter.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ^^
    the defining point here is "account" not PC or even user

if you use the same account then you are golden...but you are using his/her account so...

Pailryder on
    edited January 2011
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Yeah, although it sucks each copy is essentially "one use" its tied to an account at bioware, not a specific computer. You should be able to reinstall the game/ access anything you could before as long as you get into whatever account your daughter made.

So let's just say that my daughter wants to play Awakenings when she's down at my house. How does she go about doing that, given that my computer has dao basic installed and I'm logged in with my account? Uninstall/reinstall? Log out of my account then put the Ultimate disc in? Something else?

Peter Principle on
    edited January 2011
    Well, if she registered the game on her account then she would need to log into her account when she's on your computer. And install the extra content. But the key is that she will have to be logged into the Bioware account that the CD key and DLC code(s) were registered to.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Well, if she registered the game on her account then she would need to log into her account when she's on your computer. And install the extra content. But the key is that she will have to be logged into the Bioware account that the CD key and DLC code(s) were registered to.

Indeed. What I'm asking is what do I need to do to set this up so she can play her game when she comes down? Do I really need to uninstall my game and reinstall with Ultimate? Corrollary questions: If that happens, will I lose the ability to play under my account? Will the mods I've installed and my save games also disappear?

It just seems like a glaring oversight that I can't easily add this additional content. (Keep in mind at this point my computer system has no idea who the Ultimate disc "belongs" to, so it shouldn't be a DRM issue.) Surely bioware must have realized that some of their customers would have DAO base game and then get Ultimate.

Peter Principle on
  • yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Indeed. What I'm asking is what do I need to do to set this up so she can play her game when she comes down? Do I really need to uninstall my game and reinstall with Ultimate? Corrollary questions: If that happens, will I lose the ability to play under my account? Will the mods I've installed and my save games also disappear?

It just seems like a glaring oversight that I can't easily add this additional content. (Keep in mind at this point my computer system has no idea who the Ultimate disc "belongs" to, so it shouldn't be a DRM issue.) Surely bioware must have realized that some of their customers would have DAO base game and then get Ultimate.

I'm pretty sure the only thing you'd have to do is log off of your account, and log in to her account using the account management interface built into the game.

yurnamehere on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

I'm pretty sure the only thing you'd have to do is log off of your account, and log in to her account using the account management interface built into the game.

It will probably, then, download the extra content, but it will only be accessible on her account.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread