As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer refuses to share connections

SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey H/A, in need of computer of advice again.

Alright, so in order to get my Xbox onto Xbox Live, I connect to the internet through my computer (which connects through my wireless). That part was easy.

Up until this week, when it got difficult. Normally, all I had to do was run an ethernet cable between the two (originally used a crossover cable, but then found that both worked), and then "share" the connections in my wireless properties. Sometime this week, the option to share connections has flat out disappeared.

Since I'm bad with all this, I figure showing a picture will help. I'm running Windows XP, btw.

This is where I would normally edit my settings:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/oneredrobot/sharedconnectionerror.png?t=1295327342

But now, when I go to the properties, the "Internet Connection Sharing" section doesn't appear. And it's not like it's greyed out and I simply can't click it - it just flat out does not show up.

What did I do to cause this / how do I reverse it?

Skullo on

• Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Make sure you have not ticked the share internet connection on a different adapter. I think Activating it on one blocks all others until you turn it back off.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You might wanna try this.
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/951830

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ruckus wrote: »

Just tried this, didn't seem to work. Any other ideas?

Skullo on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Alright, so I haven't solved the issue yet, but I think I've made headway?

If I run the Internet Connection Setup Wizard, and select the option that says 1 computer connects directly to the net, and others connect through that one, I can get it working. But once I turn the Xbox off, the properties don't save and I have to re-run the entire process.

So, this technically solved my connection issue, despite being an annoying process. The main issue still stands though: why have I lost the option to share networks directly?

Skullo on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What are all of your connections?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I have my Wireless Connection, and my Local Area Network (which is just my Comp and my Xbox)

Skullo on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, you could try re-installing drivers for your mobo or wireless card (whichever you're using).

That does run the risk of fucking up your internet connection, though.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Well, you could try re-installing drivers for your mobo or wireless card (whichever you're using).

That does run the risk of fucking up your internet connection, though.

I'll keep that in mind if I get desperate. For now I can stick to the tedious way.

Skullo on