As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Computer restarts not the computer's fault?

RaneadosRaneados police apologistyou shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My computer's restarting itself with some frequency, but as far as I can tell it's not any sort of virus or malware or any of that jazz. I haven't been fiddling with it, so I'm hesitant to say it's anything in the hardware.

And some of my lights and AC unit, the fan in the bathroom, and bathroom lights, hallway lights, etc have been dimming and flickering slightly.

I jumped to the conclusion that my apartment's electricals have been just pooping on themselves, but before I go to them and tell them to fix it, I'd like to be sure it's nothing of mine.

It's a problem for the computer because a random restart every 10 minutes to 6 hours is quite frustrating, as you can probably figure. my computer's not that great, either, so starting it back up and getting back to what i was doing can take quite a while.

The fan is running, and there's not even a side on the computer (it's been cobbled and frankensteined together quite a lot in its life) and the airflow isn't hot, so I'm sure it's not a temperature thing

and they don't happen with any sort of predictability. No program or activity causes them or even suggests them, so tell me what else I could be looking into and fixing on the cheap, as replacing the whole thing really isn't an option right now

Raneados on

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, your logic isn't exactly sound as far as hardware/software troubleshooting is concerned. Popping your hand into your case and feeling that the air "isn't hot" does not mean you don't have an overheating issue, and "I haven't changed anything" doesn't mean you don't have a faulty hardware issue.

That said, if you're concerned with the electrical in your apartment, a call to the super wouldn't hurt. Just say your lights have been flickering a lot lately, and that should be enough.

Aside from getting your electrical "fixed," make sure your PC is on a power bar, not plugged directly into an outlet. Try moving it to another outlet as well. Inspect the power cable to make sure there are no kinks or exposed wires. Better yet, just replace it if you have a spare.

Hardware-wise, based on your limited amount of information, I'd lean toward it being the power supply. If your computer is rather old, chances are you won't need anything fancy to replace it, so you can grab one for like $20 to test it out.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What's in the Event Log?

Go to Control Panel -> System and Security -> Administrative Tools and start Event Viewer (this is for Win7).

Go to Windows Logs -> System. That should have every shutdown your computer has done. See if there's any errors in that log.

Kakodaimonos on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    okay, cool, I was always told to check temperature inside the computer to see if it's running hot, I'll pick up a can of air tomorrow just in case

I did call the people today about the electricity, and they said I had a "loose bulb", although I don't know how this would cause lights in 3 separate rooms to flicker, the refrigerator, the AC, the bathroom fan to rev up and down, the fuse box to hiss occasionally, and possibly my computer to lose power, but we'll see

if the power supply is only 20 bucks or so, that's probably doable and hey if it isn't that, I at least have a spare power supply

I moved the computer to another close-by outlet yesterday but still had the same issue with restarting

I moved the computer across the room to an outlet on what I think is a separate circuit, so we'll also see on that

power cable looks fine. Don't have a spare so I'll hold on that until I try other stuff

under the error log for win Xp, There are some errors, but I'm not sure if they're the shutdown times

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    sptd
    source: Service control manager
    Event ID: 7026

Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for .
    Source: sptd
    Event ID: 4

a few of those, I'll keep an eye on it, not sure if they're occurring when the thing shuts down, the last pair of them happened when I started the computer up just now

Raneados on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hissing from your fuse box? I think you need to insist that gets checked out. Forget your computer, that could be a fire hazard.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i think I found out what the problem was

with a little experimenting, plugging my surge protector bar into one of 2 outlets on one side of the room and turning it on makes the lights + fridge and etc to their flicker/revup/revdown dance

moving the computer to the other side of the room has fixed the problem with the computer and the flickering, I don't know much about electronics and circuits and etc, but I'm figuring the wiring in the place was done by some sort of gorilla, and as a result, too much (one power bar) electrical equipment plugged into one thing fucks with all the connecting systems and was restarting my computer

problem solved i guess!

only to unlock another potentially house-burny-downy problem

Raneados on