As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to answer a job posting?

ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm now in the job market after a 6-month internship and have been considering working abroad (I live in Europe). I've come across several different job postings but unfortunately I have no idea how to answer them in a formal, polite manner.

Should I simply write "To Whom It May Concern, please find attached my CV. Best regards, X"? Or should I make it a couple of paragraphs long?

Any help will be appreciated so thanks in advance! :)

Impersonator on

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Create a cover letter. When applicable, use that cover letter as an e-mail body, with the CV attached.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    "To whom it may concern" is bland. If you can, you should find the name of the person most likely to review your application (hiring/training department head) and address the letter to them instead.

Deebaser is also right in that the cover letter should basically be your email with it and your resume attached.

MrDelish on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like to remain in total control of the way my cover letter and CV look, so my e-mail is just "Dear <name>,

Please refer to the attachment for my cover letter and CV.

Kind regards,

Aldo McAldoson"

and then there's a PDF attachment with my cover letter on one page and my CV on the next. I do this because [1] Mails look different based on with what e-mail client or software they open the mail and [2] a lot of people like to print out cover letters and CVs and putting them on a big pile and then mine will stand out a little bit.

Aldo on