As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[First Amendment] Separation of Church and State

AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whateverRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

- The First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America

So anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother. There may be some people here today who do not have living within them the Holy Spirit, but if you have been adopted in God's family like I have, and like you have if you're a Christian and if you're saved, and the Holy Spirit lives within you just like the Holy Spirit lives within me, then you know what that makes? It makes you and me brothers. And it makes you and me brother and sister.

- Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley, Monday, January 18, 2011, on the day of his inauguration

The very first words that began the design of our nation spoke of religion. Congress shall make no law respecting or prohibiting the practice of religion. Inherently, this gives the freedom to all Americans, elected or otherwise, to have any relationship with any creator or creators they please, or like a growing number of Americans, no relationship at all. But when does an elected official's protected freedoms begin to encroach on his or her ethical obligation to their position?

America, since its inception, has been a nation of progressivism. We have not been perfect in any standard, but we have been constantly challenging ourselves to be better and extend protected freedoms to people of all walks of life, regardless of popular opinion, albeit often slowly coming to these obvious arguments legislatively. We're still not there yet, but we keep trying, and we won't stop until all illogical rhetoric is made to successfully defend itself or perish, taking its place among its fallen brethren like the anti-abolitionists and prohibitionists. Some very obvious rhetorical failures did not fall until very recently; there are many yet still to fall.

In the interest of impartiality, we have made it virtually illegal to use qualifiers as legislative classifiers in many aspects of life, from employment to private interests to approval for government entities. However, thanks to elected officials like Governor Bentley, we now find ourselves asking just how far we can expect protected practices and personal freedoms to not interfere with impartial judgments likewise affecting practices and personal freedoms not yet legal despite a deficit of reasonable opposition.

Gov. Bentley, and the many politicians like him, and the many constituents that support them all, support a worldview that separates the spiritual worth and civil worth of people into different values. In doing so, these politicians and their constituents have repeatedly attempted to write and pass into law sweeping legislation restricting the personal freedoms of people of all kinds into molds that only rhetorically support the ecumenical beliefs of their Constitutionally-protected religious beliefs.

My personal view is that if a politician cannot defend a position or legislation or policy without deferring to a religious or existential personal philosophy for justification or delineation, their protected beliefs have now been employed in a method directly contraindicated by the First Amendment, and therefore unconstitutional. Congress shall make no law preventing the practice of religion, but neither shall Congress respect its establishment. That latter imperative logically dictates rhetorically-unsupportable appeals to ecclesiastical restriction or modification are indefensible by very statute of Constitutional definition; laws made in accordance with dogmatic belief inherently show a legislative preference, and that is irrefutably illegal, saying nothing of immoral, inhumane, and obviously illogical.

But what to do when this still happens despite incontestable Constitutional prohibition?
"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support the Constitution of the United States."

- Congressional Oath of Office, 1789

Repeated and admitted attempt to insinuate religion doctrine or appeal on religious grounds seems to me uncontrovertibly against the stated intent of the First Amendment. At what point is this considered to be dereliction of duty? US military code, title 10:892 - article 9, has specific instruction and definition for such an act, the result of guilt being court-martial. In civilian Congress, failure to uphold official duties can result in censure, or worse, impeachment. Several congressmen in history have gone to trial over ethics violations or tax evasion; do we as nation really feel that something as potentially fascistic as restriction of rights on religious grounds doesn't merit the same treatment?

Tolerance of these viewpoints can be argued as tantamount to complicity. Elected officials represent all of us, not just some of us, and admission of bias towards one group or another (especially on a basis as flimsy as religious instruction) is no less than an admission of inability to perform the duties of office. Democracy is not now, nor has it ever been in the United States, a resting of authority in plurality of unsupportable opinion.

Atomika on

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A law is either constitutional or it is not. It does not matter if a congressman claims to have copied his proposed bill from some stone tablets on a mountain top or his alphabet soup spelled it all out for him. If the proposed law infringes on rights, it is in the hands of the judiciary to strike it down.

The problem isn't in the system. As you stated, we're slowly grinding our way forward and that is thanks in no small part to the USSC. The problem is that to too many people, a religious justification is enough reason to cast a vote toward a particular candidate. There is no legislation you can pass that can stop Average Joe from making poor choices. Improve education and we improve our voters, that's where I'd rather focus.

Atlas in Chains on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nicely laid out. I think that the key is maintaining that legislation must be defensible on logical, non-religious grounds.
    My personal view is that if a politician cannot defend a position or legislation or policy without deferring to a religious or existential personal philosophy for justification or delineation, their protected beliefs have now been employed in a method directly contraindicated by the First Amendment, and therefore unconstitutional. Congress shall make no law preventing the practice of religion, but neither shall Congress respect its establishment. That latter imperative logically dictates rhetorically-unsupportable appeals to ecclesiastical restriction or modification are indefensible by very statute of Constitutional definition; laws made in accordance with dogmatic belief inherently show a legislative preference, and that is irrefutably illegal, saying nothing of immoral, inhumane, and obviously illogical.

As long as we can keep that up, then it isn't so bad that politicians like to be all religious-looking for their constituents, even if it does slow progress down considerably.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    From a strictly relgious standpoint it is a staggeringly bad idea to mix religion with government since if given free reign it basicly forces people to adhere to religious doctrine that many do not understand or respect and this ultimatley destroys the most important part of ANY religion: faith.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Keep in mind the Constitution was written in the context of the Church of England's infiltration and takeover of England's ruling body.
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion

Simple enough. Congress can't make a law on behalf of the Southern Baptist Convention, but Congress can make laws that affect all religious organizations as a blanket whole.
    or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

Anyone, even elected officials have the right to practice whatever religious belief they choose. However, an elected official ignoring the people and forcing the agenda of the church he attends is a big no-no.

Separation of Church and State is not synonymous with separation of religion and State.

That being said, I don't believe an inauguration speech is an appropriate time to deliver a religious devotional.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Anyone, even elected officials have the right to practice whatever religious belief they choose. However, an elected official ignoring the people and forcing the agenda of the church he attends is a big no-no.

Separation of Church and State is not synonymous with separation of religion and State.
    Thomas Jefferson would disagree.

And I think a great first step we can take when it comes to separating church & state a bit more in our public lives would be to strip religious groups of their 501(c)(3) status; as it stands now, they have all sorts of restrictions on the type of speech they're allowed to engage in that are basically ignored; I'd like to get the government out of the business of monitoring religious speech.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanatos, I am going to plead ignorance here and ask if you could go into a bit more depth about that if you would.

I don't think I am getting your point

Arch on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »

And I think a great first step we can take when it comes to separating church & state a bit more in our public lives would be to strip religious groups of their 501(c)(3) status; as it stands now, they have all sorts of restrictions on the type of speech they're allowed to engage in that are basically ignored; I'd like to get the government out of the business of monitoring religious speech.

You have heard the phrase "the power to tax is the power to destroy," correct?

We grant the tax exemption to religious groups because of the separation of church and state, not in spite of it. If the problem is in lax enforcement, then we need to improve enforcement.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I view individual faith (or lack of) a personal matter and a personal freedom, and one duly protected under First Amendment statute.

Institutions of religion, e.g., groups of the theologically affiliated based around a hierarchy which may or may not involve monetary compensation, seem to me little different than social clubs or secular charitable organizations, and at the very least should be subject to similar laws and taxation structures.

Still, back to my greater point, I feel that politicians openly using religion as a basis of platform development and voting practices possibly should be held to punitive measures.

The extent of which, naturally, can be argued, and range from things like censure and admonishment to removal from office to outright criminal charges. My preference is probably more akin to scaled system of enforcement, based on seriousness of offense. For example, Gov. Bentley in the OP might only be censured or put on advisement for making needlessly divisive comments, whereas someone like Sally Kern should face a lifetime ban from public service.

Atomika on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

We grant the tax exemption to religious groups because of the separation of church and state, not in spite of it. If the problem is in lax enforcement, then we need to improve enforcement.
    And people try to do that, but then Republicans scream about big government and infringing on religious freedom and nothing happens.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I agree with this but man, the first time a church got fined/sued/whatever for publicly and officially endorsing a candidate, can you imagine the shitstorm. If you tuned your TV to Fox News it would collapse into a singularity. Any politician who even touched the issue would be out of a job.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The argument that the power to tax is the power to destroy is an argument in favor of not taxing religious groups any more than non-religious groups that do the same shit. It isn't an argument in favor of not taxing them at all.

Couscous on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I view individual faith (or lack of) a personal matter and a personal freedom, and one duly protected under First Amendment statute.

Institutions of religion, e.g., groups of the theologically affiliated based around a hierarchy which may or may not involve monetary compensation, seem to me little different than social clubs or secular charitable organizations, and at the very least should be subject to similar laws and taxation structures.

Still, back to my greater point, I feel that politicians openly using religion as a basis of platform development and voting practices possibly should be held to punitive measures.

The extent of which, naturally, can be argued, and range from things like censure and admonishment to removal from office to outright criminal charges. My preference is probably more akin to scaled system of enforcement, based on seriousness of offense. For example, Gov. Bentley in the OP might only be censured or put on advisement for making needlessly divisive comments, whereas someone like Sally Kern should face a lifetime ban from public service.

So, in other words, we have to destroy the First Amendment to save it?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I think the OP is missing the point of the first amendment. If we make laws punishing politicians for openly spouting religious beliefs, isn't that a violation of the first amendment? Free exercise thereof?

Also, "The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States" from Article VI of the main body of the Big C.

Seems like a promise to uphold the values of secularism and/or atheism would fall afoul of that.

dojango on
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    dojango wrote: »
    Yeah, I think the OP is missing the point of the first amendment. If we make laws punishing politicians for openly spouting religious beliefs, isn't that a violation of the first amendment? Free exercise thereof?

Also, "The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States" from Article VI of the main body of the Big C.

Seems like a promise to uphold the values of secularism and/or atheism would fall afoul of that.

Are you saying that the values of secularism and/or atheism is of a religious nature or am I missing something?

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

And people try to do that, but then Republicans scream about big government and infringing on religious freedom and nothing happens.
    And Democrats scream because such a change would hurt the black churches which support the Democrats.

So there we are.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Obviously secularism is of a religious nature, otherwise what would it be in opposition to?

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shanadeus wrote: »

Are you saying that the values of secularism and/or atheism is of a religious nature or am I missing something?

Removing elected representatives from office or preventing them from being sworn in due to their religious beliefs is just as much of a "religious test" as it would be to legally prevent atheists from holding elected office.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

It's still a belief system, (or lack of). What he's saying is that believing or not believing in some higher deity will never impact whether or not you will be able to hold a position of political power.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Modern Man wrote: »

And Democrats scream because such a change would hurt the black churches which support the Democrats.

So there we are.
    Since when do black churches support Democrats? That would be a violation of the political non-endorsement requirement of tax exemption. Now, most black people support Democrats, but that's a different issue entirely.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Lawndart wrote: »

Removing elected representatives from office or preventing them from being sworn in due to their religious beliefs is just as much of a "religious test" as it would be to legally prevent atheists from holding elected office.
    This. For 1st Amendment purposes, atheism has the same protections and limitations as theism.

Whether or not a politician is too religious or not religious enough is a question for the electorate. An atheist isn't going to get elected in rural Alabama, and a Christian fundamentalist isn't getting elected in Manhattan. But, in both cases, the Constitution does not have any real relevance.
    Since when do black churches support Democrats? That would be a violation of the political non-endorsement requirement of tax exemption. Now, most black people support Democrats, but that's a different issue entirely.
    They support them to the same extent as primarily white fundy mega-churches support the GOP. That is, they do everything they can without putting their tax-exempt status at-risk.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011

First off, secularism has nothing to do with atheism. Atheism is a positive assertion that there is no god. Secularism is just the practice of not bringing religion into the mix at all. If you're explicitly "upholding the virtues of atheism," you're specifically not upholding the virtues of secularism.

My view of the First is that it requires we basically not discriminate for or against any or all religions on the basis of the religion itself. It doesn't mean we can't make laws that disproportionately affect religion, as long as purpose of the law isn't based on religion. For example, if there was a religion that required its members to mug people, laws against mugging wouldn't become unconstitutional, since the point of the law is just to prevent theft. That it apparently unduly affects the mugging religion is secondary.

Similarly, the First doesn't mean we can't place taxpayer funds in church coffers, as long as we're not giving money to them because they are churches. The big thing here tends to be religious charities - I think refusing to give money to a church to perform secular acts of charity would violate the First, if the church has established that it can and will use the money for secular purposes. If they take the money and proselytize with it, then giving them the money would violate the SoCaS. If they can't or won't demonstrate that they won't use the money secularly, then fuck 'em, they don't need the cash that bad.

And lastly, I don't think the First prevents politicians from talking about God while serving in a public capacity. The governor quoted in the OP? No, not a violation. He's not doing anything that "respects an establishment of religion," and there's certainly not a congressional law being passed. He's just standing up there and talking about God for a minute. Was it kind of a douchey statement? Sure. But I don't see how it should be unconstitutional.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    And lastly, I don't think the First prevents politicians from talking about God while serving in a public capacity. The governor quoted in the OP? No, not a violation. He's not doing anything that "respects an establishment of religion," and there's certainly not a congressional law being passed. He's just standing up there and talking about God for a minute. Was it kind of a douchey statement? Sure. But I don't see how it should be unconstitutional.

Well, the OP suggested that we make it so that a politician is punished for talking about religion in his official capacity, as that would be an endorsement of religion. Under the current interpretation of the Constitution, it isn't, and any laws restricting what a politician could do/say regarding his religious beliefs would be a violation of the 'free exercise' clause and the 'religious test' clause that I mentioned earlier.

I mean, fundamentally, there is a distinction between a politician and the abstract idea of 'the government'. Even if the governor gets up and says "Jesus is the only path to salvation" in a speech, it still doesn't mean that the 'government' is endorsing or establishing religion. That would only be implicated if the governor's office issued an executive order saying that, or the legislature passing a non-binding resolution to that effect would the establishment clause be violated.

dojango on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Well, the OP suggested that we make it so that a politician is punished for talking about religion in his official capacity, as that would be an endorsement of religion. Under the current interpretation of the Constitution, it isn't, and any laws restricting what a politician could do/say regarding his religious beliefs would be a violation of the 'free exercise' clause and the 'religious test' clause that I mentioned earlier.

I mean, fundamentally, there is a distinction between a politician and the abstract idea of 'the government'. Even if the governor gets up and says "Jesus is the only path to salvation" in a speech, it still doesn't mean that the 'government' is endorsing or establishing religion. That would only be implicated if the governor's office issued an executive order saying that, or the legislature passing a non-binding resolution to that effect would the establishment clause be violated.

All this being said and true, the guy was still kind of an asshole to say what he did.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011

All this being said and true, the guy was still kind of an asshole to say what he did.
    Well, sure. But that's an issue for the electorate to decide upon at election time.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

See, I like the theory behind this idea, but then I imagine someone trying to build a temple or a mosque or something in a fundie town and getting taxed into oblivion by a xenophobic government. That and a lot of small poor churches would have a hard time making ends meet.

I see zero problem with taxing churches bigger than x-number of people, though.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ross, the First Amendment isn't "the very first words that began the design of our nation". The main body of the Constitution might qualify, though, depending on how you look at it.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

See, I like the theory behind this idea, but then I imagine someone trying to build a temple or a mosque or something in a fundie town and getting taxed into oblivion by a xenophobic government. That and a lot of small poor churches would have a hard time making ends meet.

You can't pass laws that treat religious institutions less favorably than secular ones. And you certainly can't pass laws that give religion X preferential treatment over religion Y.

You could pass a law that treated churches the same as similar secular institutions, though.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As long as churches aren't getting involved in politics then its in everyone's best interest they aren't taxed.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What's the saying? Keep the government out of my church and my church in the government?

A lot of people are very willing to let their religious views control their governing and at the same time BALK at the idea that the government has anything to say about their religion.

America IS a Christian nation, but in the worst way possible.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Why? No, seriously, I'm asking. I can see why it's not a bad idea, but that's a far cry from it being in everyone's best interest.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As long as churches aren't getting involved in politics then its in everyone's best interest they aren't taxed.

Ok, but how about when you're in a situation where they are getting involved? Like, say, currently in the US.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, the fact that you basically need to be a Christian to even 'qualify' to become a politician in 80%+ of the country is.. yeah.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

You can't pass laws that treat religious institutions less favorably than secular ones. And you certainly can't pass laws that give religion X preferential treatment over religion Y.

You could pass a law that treated churches the same as similar secular institutions, though.

eliminating the exemption from paying property taxes would probably be constitutional, for example. Since it isn't targetting any one specific religion. Although smaller congregations would get screwed more since they have a smaller pool of resources upon which to draw.

dojango on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Magus` wrote: »
    America IS a Christian nation, but in the worst way possible.
    Oh it could be much worse.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well, yes.

What I meant in the worst way that is reasonably possible with it not being the middle ages (or the middle east).

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Bama wrote: »

Ok, but how about when you're in a situation where they are getting involved? Like, say, currently in the US.

Well we would have to determine what the threshold is. At current its direct endorsement if I recall correctly. I think this is a reasonable threshold most of the time.

What I would think fair is if they do engage in this they are taxed like a political advocacy group or whatever the appropriate tax bracket may be. If they do not engage in political advocacy for 1 year they can regain their exempt status.

The reason its good Carrot is it keeps government from having all the influence that comes with writing tax policy over religious institutions, and it keeps mega churches and the like from having the sway that being such a large chunk of revenue for the government would give them.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, the fact that you basically need to be a Christian to even 'qualify' to become a politician in 80%+ of the country is.. yeah.
    People in this country are more religious than probably anywhere else in the Western world. I don't think that wanting people who share your values to represent you politically is a bad thing.

I mean, if you're pro-life, anti-gay marriage and so on, what are the chances that an atheist politician is going to hold the same values?

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Well, it would be nice if people could look beyond themselves, but yes I understand what you're getting at.

There does seem to be this sort of idea that non-religious people somehow lack values that appears a lot in the political spectrum. It's not EVERYWHERE, but it does exist and it blows.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    People in this country are more religious than probably anywhere else in the Western world. I don't think that wanting people who share your values to represent you politically is a bad thing.

I mean, if you're pro-life, anti-gay marriage and so on, what are the chances that an atheist politician is going to hold the same values?

The thing is, they seperate the two. Being pro-life and being christian are two seperate things that a candidate must have.

Do you really think the right would support an openly atheist pro-lifer?

Your religion has nothing to do with your ability to operate in office, yet it sinks campaigns all the time.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011

there's no probably about it.

dojango on