As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Famous Catwomen [Chat]

1555657585961»

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    mkv is horseshit

I don't know anything about the specs involved but it never plays on anything and jackasses keep encoding things in it and it feels like a fucking nerd conspiracy that I want no part of.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I just googled up and read that Asimov story that someone asked about, it was rather good.

Reminding me yet again that short fiction is the best medium for science fiction. It beats novels, and it assrapes movies.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    I am mocking your ex-boyfriend to assert my superiority over him.

oh he doesn't compare at all to you, honey <3

his penis was huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I just googled up and read that Asimov story that someone asked about, it was rather good.

Reminding me yet again that short fiction is the best medium for science fiction. It beats novels, and it assrapes movies.

Don't you have that on vhs?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

The proper way to do this is to drag his body behind your chariot around the parking lot in front of his apartment.

Hmm. Let me check the list.

To Do After Getting Passport

- Stalk and molest Fluffy
    - Visit girlfriend (?)
    - Murder and defile girlfriend's exes

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

oh he doesn't compare at all to you, honey <3

his penis was huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge

ENORMOUS!

hey fluffy i'm starting an lp in two days!

Rent on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Rent wrote: »
    perhaps you should stop being darcsen scum

just

you know

sayin'

I have tried but I can't stop it. I have nightmares of the Imperial slave camps.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Actually you don't need the passport to murder my ex, Scott Pilgrim - he's in Illinois, last I checked.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Pretty much.

Novels and movies tend to be about world-building, so they're better left to fantasy and soft sci-fi.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011

I completely agree. In the short form you can have a cool idea, develop it, and then tie it off with a bow and leave the reader with an awesome experience. In a novel a cool idea is not enough, you need to have character development and a coherent theme and all this other stuff that sci-fi writers are often kind of at sea with.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    mkv is horseshit

I don't know anything about the specs involved but it never plays on anything and jackasses keep encoding things in it and it feels like a fucking nerd conspiracy that I want no part of.

But it's Open!

That's literally the reason it was created and the only selling points those dude seem to think matters

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Man whores are open, doesn't mean they should be your goto format.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I knew that this sword shit was turning Inquisitor in a giant pussy, but I had no idea he'd GROW one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O19a9KWxFk

Ludious on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »

I like this

Imma steal this

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't know anything about the specs involved but it never plays on anything

what are you trying to play it on?

Tav on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I completely agree. In the short form you can have a cool idea, develop it, and then tie it off with a bow and leave the reader with an awesome experience. In a novel a cool idea is not enough, you need to have character development and a coherent theme and all this other stuff that sci-fi writers are often kind of at sea with.

Exactly. Fecking exactly.

There are so many sci-fi authors who I think have really awesome ideas but when you read their books you can't help but notice the weak characterization (almost universal) as well as other specific flaws; Pournell gets too beardy about military stuff, Niven starts writing about sex (oh God no please stop) and when they are confined to short form, these things just don't happen.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »
    perhaps you should stop being darcsen scum

just

you know

sayin'

I have tried but I can't stop it. I have daydreams of betraying my fellow gallian like the traitorous subhuman i am.

Rent on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tav wrote: »
    I don't know anything about the specs involved but it never plays on anything

what are you trying to play it on?

your mom

it surprised me, since she's compatible with so much else

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Actually you don't need the passport to murder my ex, Scott Pilgrim - he's in Illinois, last I checked.

Hmmm. Let me check the list.

To Do Now

- Send brother X-Files "I Want To Believe" poster
    - Make Post
    - Don't work
    - [strike]Put up or shut up[/strike] (This was a dumb idea)

Nope.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    mkv is horseshit

But it's Open!

That's literally the reason it was created and the only selling points those dude seem to think matters

oh man, so it really is a nerd conspiracy?

thank god. that makes so much more sense.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ludious wrote: »
    I knew that this sword shit was turning Inquisitor in a giant pussy, but I had no idea he'd GROW one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O19a9KWxFk

And suddnely senj has a new fetish.

"No honey twirl the sword and like change hands, god damn it you dropped it, great now I have to start the vaguely gaelic music all over again."

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Really, the goal should be for the length and format of a work to be whatever works best for the content, rather than trying to cram it into a generic mold. The need for genre fiction to fit into a certain novel length or into trilogies doesn't do it any favors.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    mkv is horseshit

shhh jacob

don't talk about the conspiracy

there are spies everywhere

you will be snatched up in the night by the MKVD

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

I like this

Imma steal this

Feel free senj, I always type my random comments in an open format!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Really, the goal should be for the length and format of a work to be whatever works best for the content, rather than trying to cram it into a generic mold. The need for genre fiction to fit into a certain novel length or into trilogies doesn't do it any favors.

This is absolutely true, yeah. Unfortunately marketing marketing blah blah blah etc. And too many people seem to prefer awful trilogies to good single novels or novellas.

Jacob, make the new chat

oh, don't mind if I do

Jacobkosh on
This discussion has been closed.