As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

abandoned cat

DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I just purchased a house. A cat came up to me while I was working in the garage, and was super-friendly. After talking to the neighbors, I discovered that it was the previous occupant's cat, and they abandoned it when they moved out over a year ago. They've been setting out food for it since then.

This was pretty clearly an indoor cat, or at least one who is used to being inside sometimes. As soon as it saw my garage door was open, it came right over, waited for me to turn off my saw (I think it was apprehensive because of the noise), and waltzed right in.

Here's the thing: I don't really want a cat, but I also don't want to leave this cat outside all the time.

Can I just put a post on the free section of Craigslist, or is that frowned upon?

Doc on

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You should take this cat to your local animal shelter. Do not post a free listing on craigslist, please. Let the trained people deal with the animal that will require a vet visit, shots, and perhaps other things. This is the most humane thing you can do for the cat.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You should take this cat to your local animal shelter. Do not post a free listing on craigslist, please. Let the trained people deal with the animal that will require a vet visit, shots, and perhaps other things. This is the most humane thing you can do for the cat.

This. Free on CL is where people who can't afford pets but have decided they need to have one look and it never turns out well.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, I know you don't want a cat, but that sounds like a great pet already. It waited for the saw to turn off before coming in? Friendly?

Get it checked out and give the guy a home.

If nothing else you got a great story of how you ended up with this cat.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would call local shelters until you find one that can take it. The fact that it isn't actually your cat should help. Once you do that, they should be able to take care of the vet work/shots the cat may need. If you still feel personally responsible, you could offer to foster the cat until someone adopts it.

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    I agree with contacting a shelter. Much better chance of the cat ending up with a good family that actually cares about it (and it'll get spayed/neutered if it's not already) than risking some random douchebag on CL who's just looking for a cheap cat and then gets tired of taking care of it and abandons it again.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Literally no one on the entire planet earth likes cats as much as I do, but the OP does not have to adopt the cat. He said he doesn't want it so it should go to the shelter and hopefully a good home. Pressuring him to adopt it is bad advice.

I reserve my horrifying and world shattering anger for the scuzzbucket that abandoned the cat. "Oh, we're moving! Can't move the cat too!" Like VoC said, those are the kind of people you attract with free craigslist postings.

Thanks to you and your neighbors for caring enough to feed the cat and take it to the shelter. That's a really good thing to do.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man I really wish this was the type of cat thread where we got pictures... drat.

If you like and/or care about the cat, don't just take it to the local Humane Society without doing a little research first. Make sure the shelter doesn't euthanize: For example, my local SPCA doesn't euthanize (Humane Society here does if they have space issues or the animal stays too long) and will keep a cat until it gets adopted (as long as it is healthy and sociable - if it gets really really sick, or if it has behavioral issues, they will euthanize, but this doesn't sound like an issue).

Also, some shelters will come pick up the cat for you. Consider that. HOWEVER, at least in Houston, a good number of the ones who do pick-ups will also euthanize. So keep that in mind.

If you have any info about the cat you can share when you turn it over to the shelter, they will be very appreciative: For example, did it live with dogs/cats/children previously?

Please, please, please I am begging you: Don't just put a post on Craigslist. The reason people go to Craigslist to get a pet is because they don't want to pay for shots and neutering, so they either end up with a very sick pet who dies (because they also aren't willing to pay vet fees), or they end up with a bunch of kittens they can't take care of. Please don't put this cat through this; he's already been ditched once by shitty owners, he doesn't need another set of shitty owners.

And lastly, thanks for caring about this issue. You didn't just take the easy way out and that is a good thing.

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Spacemilk wrote: »
    Please, please, please I am begging you: Don't just put a post on Craigslist. The reason people go to Craigslist to get a pet is because they don't want to pay for shots and neutering, so they either end up with a very sick pet who dies (because they also aren't willing to pay vet fees), or they end up with a bunch of kittens they can't take care of.

I just want to say this isn't always true. I just got my latest dog from Craigslist. She was even listed as free. Within 18 hours of having her I had her spayed, vaccinated, and registered with the city. Two weeks after that she saw my regular vet for a general physical and a heart worm test.

If you want to take the trouble you can list the cat on Craigslist. If the cat isn't altered you may want to see if there is a free/low cost program in your area. Around here there is a shelter that will alter strays for $15. Get that done and put it up for adoption. Or take it to a shelter, they'll alter the cat before it's able to be adopted. Even if you leave the cat as an outdoor stray, just try to get it altered so there aren't litters of strays being born.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm not recommending craigslist, but not everyone who uses it for pets is a bad pet owner. The wife of one of the guys on my boat adopted a cat off craigslist, and in the process of looking for a cat she adopted multiple cats after she visited them and was worried because the owners were skeezy. Long story short, she kept one cat and over a period of time carefully screened prospective craigslist responses and adopted out the other cats to people she felt were satisfactory, with a no-questions return clause if the people changed their minds.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There are lots of good animals and good people on craigslist, but there are some weirdos too.
    Hell, I just bought a saddle of Craigslist and the lady selling it gave me a ride to the barn to let me try it out, then helped me with my chores. She was good and weird, yes, but it just goes to show you can screen out a lot of the crazies before you give the cat to anyone, or you can take it to a shelter.
    It will probably languish at a shelter forever, since there are so many unwanted cats in cages, but it might get lucky, you never know.

Hey if I was looking for a cat, I'd take him. I have to go to Washington soon anyways to pick up my (petfinder) horse.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    No one's claiming that everyone on CL looking for a pet would be a bad owner, we're just saying that there are a lot of people on CL that are lazy/cheap/skeezy and would be more likely to not take care of the cat properly or even outright abandon it if they didn't want to deal with it later on.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    and what I'm saying is you can weed those people out 9 times out of 10.

Trillian on

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Trillian wrote: »
    Hey if I was looking for a cat, I'd take him. I have to go to Washington soon anyways to pick up my (petfinder) horse.

Just hit 40, eh?

Anyway, why not ask around the neighbourhood if anyone is looking for a free pet? It'd be a great way to introduce yourself to your new neighbours. Barring that, the humane society is probably your best bet.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Figgy wrote: »

Just hit 40, eh?

Anyway, why not ask around the neighbourhood if anyone is looking for a free pet? It'd be a great way to introduce yourself to your new neighbours. Barring that, the humane society is probably your best bet.

Nah 24, but I found my next hunter/jumper for $500 2 hours away from my house.

Trillian on

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Just hit 40, eh?

Sorry, that was a WoW joke.
    level 40... mount...

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Just hit 40, eh?

Sorry, that was a WoW joke.
    level 40... mount...

see I thought you were making it out to be some midlife crisis thing, like a ferrari or something.

Trillian on

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's level 20 now anyway.

I would say, if you don't find yourself being attached to it despite your best intentions (happened to the first kitten I adopted. I totally intended to take him to the shelter after getting him cleaned up and adjusted to people.) do research on the shelters in your area. Make sure they are no-kill as mentioned above. Maybe go in and see what the cat accommodations are like. Are they banks of cages? Is it a room where the well behaved can room free and interact? Stuff like that.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png