As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer fans... which Chaos god reigns supreme?

WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Allright ladies and gents :winky:

I got a question for you fantasy and/or 40k fans out there. If you had to, HAD TO, pick a chaos god to worship, which would it be?

Would it be Khorne? The god of violence, hate, and just plain utter brutality...

85132299.jpg

Or perhaps Nurgle? The god of decay, death, and physical corruption..

Great_Unclean_One_ss.jpg

Maybe Tzeentch? The god of magic, change, and mutation...

art_tzeentch2.png

What if your a sick little fucker, is it possible Slaanesh is the god for you? The god of pleasure, pride, and self indulgence...

slaanesh.jpg

I'm pretty freaking curious too see which of these radically different gods is the most appealing to you fellas. So debate and what not as to who you think is the greatest god of them all?

Personally I'd have to go with Nurgle. Out of the four major gods, he's the only god who seems to treat his followers well. Sure I'd be turned into a misshapen mass of diseased flesh, but at least I'd know I actually have a god who would be watching my back! He's like Santa Clause, but instead of presents, he gives you diseases (which to him ARE presents).

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
Wishpig on

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wishpig wrote: »

I'm pretty freaking curious too see which of these radically different gods is the most appealing to you fellas. So debate and what not as to who you think is the greatest god of them all?

Personally I'd have to go with Nurgle. Out of the four major gods, he's the only god who seems to treat his followers well. Sure I'd be turned into a misshapen mass of diseased flesh, but at least I'd know I actually have a god who would be watching my back! He's like Santa Clause, but instead of presents, he gives you diseases (which to him ARE presents).

You should be posting this in the Critical failures forum.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Gaddez wrote: »

You should be posting this in the Critical failures forum.

Warhammer has moved passed the tabletop scene and has a great deal of fans that have never played the table top, but loves the videogames, novels, or just the rich lore.

Tabletop is still the heart of the franchise, but the franchise has grown larger, and this question can be asked of those who love, say... Dawn of War or Warhammer Online or the many many many books.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.

• Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Isn't Tzeentch the oldest?

And isn't like everything everyone does, ever, a part of Tzeentch's plan or some shit?

Wouldn't that make who's in power moot?

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    well Nurgle is the god of entrophy and death, and everything dies so Nurgle. But then thats probaly Tzeentch's plan. I say Malal the forgotten 5th god of chaos.
    Not that it matters because the Emperor can kick all of their asses and it is heresy to suggest otherwise.

GaryO on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Julius on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If I had to choose, Slaanesh. All the way, baby.

All you dicks can die of not having enough blood in your throat, or decomposing suddenly while alive. Or maybe some bird man will decide that [strike]YOU ARE PART OF THE PLAN WHILE NOT BEING NOT PART OF THE PLAN EXCEPT WHEN YOU ARE PART OF THE PLAN[/strike] IT WAS ALL ACCORDING TO PLAN when you died.

Me? My way of going out will be spine shattering orgasms. And drugs. Lots of drugs.

This will be me, moments before the massive bike pile-up/homicide/orgy that is the end of my life. And it will be awesome.

doomrider_1.jpg

Archonex on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    GaryO wrote: »
    well Nurgle is the god of entrophy and death, and everything dies so Nurgle. But then thats probaly Tzeentch's plan. I say Malal the forgotten 5th god of chaos.
    Not that it matters because the Emperor can kick all of their asses and it is heresy to suggest otherwise.
    Nurgle is also the god of fertility and rebirth. All his little diseases are alive, see? As they spread, there's more life in the universe, until someone finds a way to kill the disease but not the host and the cycle starts again.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Given Tzneetch's sheer, wanton dickery when it comes to screwing over his own followers, I can't help but think that he'd sound a little like the Space Inquisitor from Venture Brothers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGbPs5y3oz8

Would you want to listen to this in your head all day? No wonder so many of his followers go bat-shit insane.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Isn't Tzeentch the oldest?

And isn't like everything everyone does, ever, a part of Tzeentch's plan or some shit?

Wouldn't that make who's in power moot?

Nurgle is the oldest if I'm not mistaken... at least Hammerwiki and Warhammer 40k wiki say so.

Wishpig on

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Nurgle is the oldest if I'm not mistaken... at least Hammerwiki and Warhammer 40k wiki say so.
    Well yeah; fertility god. You can't even have life without him, but the other three sort of need sapient life. It's how he gets away with being "believed in" by bacteria but the others need "followers" and other needy types.

But he loves you all anyway. He's just nice like that.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It depends, what makes life meaningful?

The struggle to overcome adversity, the very fact that you're a living, growing being, the changes you make on the world through your decisions and actions, or the things that you experience during your life?

Yeah, you're completely screwed.

jothki on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, as a follower of a chaos god, I'd come down on the side of dying from too many orgasms as my way to go.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I thought all the others were just Tzeentch in a variety of hats anyway?

Regardless, I'm going with Malal.
    http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Malal

Xagarath on
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gork, or Mork could easily wipe the floor with all 4 of them.

Detharin on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Detharin wrote: »

Lol, too bad their heads are up their own asses! ;)

Wishpig on

• Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've always liked Tzeentch specifically because of the Thousand Sons. I also love arguing about whether the Chaos gods are inherently evil or not with friends who think they are. Just because Khorne wants to anihilate your entire world and drown it in its own blood doesn't mean he hates you.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Khorne is God of getting shit done. Everything else is just make up.

Maim, kill, burn!

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    No love for the God Emperor? Good.

I like Tzeentch as well. Particularly because his mans will do things like convince loyal Space Marine chapters that they're following the will of The Emperor when in fact they are in fact advancing causes that they cannot comprehend.

Pretty much everyone does His bidding. They just don't know it.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think I'd side with Slaanesh; I wouldn't continually have bits falling off as with Nurgle, there'd be none of that pansy magic of Tzeentch and less chance of getting brutally murdered to appease Khorne. Plus Mark of Slaanesh used to be the best one for Chaos Champions in fantasy battle I think...

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Malkor wrote: »
    No love for the God Emperor? Good.

Faith towards an eternal, dead ideal? I'll pass.

As a cultist I can at least honestly claim that I'm alive, instead of a pointless smear on reality.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I think I'd side with Slaanesh; I wouldn't continually have bits falling off as with Nurgle, there'd be none of that pansy magic of Tzeentch and less chance of getting brutally murdered to appease Khorne. Plus Mark of Slaanesh used to be the best one for Chaos Champions in fantasy battle I think...

Ya, but Slaanesh is the weakest of the four power-wise. Khorne and Tzee are the most powerful on average... being only surpassed by Nurgle from time to time.

Ugh man, Slaanesh's palace is one hell of a fucked up place. The description really creeps me out!

Wishpig on

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Lol, too bad their heads are up their own asses! ;)

Not up their own asses.

It's just Gork and Mork, being badasses, prefer to fight dudes who are on their level.

Unfortunately, this is limited to each other.

Other gods sometimes try to interfere. They get their asses kicked. Just how things go.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I really wish they'd make a good TV series or something. Like it'd have to be rated X, but I think it'd still make all kinds of cash.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Malkor wrote: »
    I really wish they'd make a good TV series or something. Like it'd have to be rated X, but I think it'd still make all kinds of cash.

Lol, don't tell Slaanesh about it, and they can get a TV-MA rating.

Wishpig on

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Mork would most definitely whip more asses than Gork. I'll fight anyone who says otherwise!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Best warhammer God?

Hivemind. Whatever it is that's driving the whole species sure means business.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Horned Rat is clearly the best Chaos god, even though he's confined to one setting.

He has his own *species* of dedicated followers and has filched bits of all four Great Gods' portfolios, filtered through a "dark side of civilization and progress" lens. His followers exhibit the frenzied hatred of urban dwellers forced into competition for resources; they murder, assassinate, and kill each other for scraps without hesitation. They plot and scheme endlessly, obsessed with appearance and social status, and could lie better than Tzeentch himself. They're not bad at melding rampant hope (aka: magic) with scientific progress: consequences be damned! They lust for material wealth, slaves, breeders, and food, pursuing all of these well past the point of excess. They embrace the concept of urban decay; accepting and *thriving* in the most despairing of environments.

Also the Horned Rat manifested proper outside the Warp, ate a bunch of slaves, and left a giant warpstone pillar. Even ol' Khorne is too much of a pussy to do that!

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Morskittar wrote: »
    The Horned Rat is clearly the best Chaos god, even though he's confined to one setting.

He has his own *species* of dedicated followers and has filched bits of all four Great Gods' portfolios, filtered through a "dark side of civilization and progress" lens. His followers exhibit the frenzied hatred of urban dwellers forced into competition for resources; they murder, assassinate, and kill each other for scraps without hesitation. They plot and scheme endlessly, obsessed with appearance and social status, and could lie better than Tzeentch himself. They're not bad at melding rampant hope (aka: magic) with scientific progress: consequences be damned! They lust for material wealth, slaves, breeders, and food, pursuing all of these well past the point of excess. They embrace the concept of urban decay; accepting and *thriving* in the most despairing of environments.

Also the Horned Rat manifested proper outside the Warp, ate a bunch of slaves, and left a giant warpstone pillar. Even ol' Khorne is too much of a pussy to do that!

When the hell did this happen?

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think that we can all agree that no matter which god we choose, we can take pride in the fact that it's not some pansy eldar god.
    emnmnme wrote: »

Mork would most definitely whip more asses than Gork. I'll fight anyone who says otherwise!

WOT!?

Whose YOU trynna fool?

Wez all kno dat Gork wuld do all da bashin whiles Mork wuld be da one to watch da bakside.

Newtron on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, Tzeentch purposefully sabotages his own plans, because otherwise he'd win- which would mean he'd be bereft of purpose, and thus cease to be. Therefore Tzeentch is the strongest, because as long as he gets to continue plotting, he's already "won."

(Technically none of them can "win" because without the balance of the other 3 they'll obliterate themselves.)

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Warhammer is made by Brits, right?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Who's the god from the Fantasy universe who doubts in the existence of gods? I'd totally hang with him.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Archonex wrote: »
    If I had to choose, Slaanesh. All the way, baby.

All you dicks can die of not having enough blood in your throat, or decomposing suddenly while alive. Or maybe some bird man will decide that [strike]YOU ARE PART OF THE PLAN WHILE NOT BEING NOT PART OF THE PLAN EXCEPT WHEN YOU ARE PART OF THE PLAN[/strike] IT WAS ALL ACCORDING TO PLAN when you died.

Me? My way of going out will be spine shattering orgasms. And drugs. Lots of drugs.

This will be me, moments before the massive bike pile-up/homicide/orgy that is the end of my life. And it will be awesome.

doomrider_1.jpg

:^: Slaneesh ftw

valiance on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    When the hell did this happen?
    About two hundred years ago. Every grey seer got together and sacrificed a bunch of slaves in the presence of a representative from every clan, in the middle of Skavenblight, in the shadow of the Tower of the Great temple of the Horned Rat.

Dude tore a hole in reality five hundred feet tall on the way in, ate a couple of whole clans and left the Pillar of Laws after laughing at his chosen peeps pissing themselves in terror.

The Pillar basically says "keep up the good work kids, but remember to keep your eyes on the prize" whilst somehow making the politicking around and about the Council of Thirteen even more labyrinthine.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It'd be a coin toss for me between Nurgle (for the same reasons as the OP. Yeah, sure, mass of diseased flesh and all, but you won't die and Grandfather Nurgle's got your back if anyone else fucks with you.) and Slaanesh for the other reasons (you will take pleasure from everything that involves your senses. Then you'll build up a tolerance and have to go to greater extremes before you die. But you will die doing something awesome, or at the very least FEELING awesome.)

EDIT: In regards to Chaos Gods manifesting.... I recall that the story behind Mordhiem was that a Chaos God essentially got kicked out of the Warp and crashed into the town resulting in the squad-based urban combat setting we know and loved. That true?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd have to say Khorne.

I mean, I'd initially pick Tzeentch because he seems to know things about stuff every-anywhere, but I'm realistic enough to know that I'm not smart enough to join up with Tzeentch and be one of his all stars, so I'm better off just wharblgarbling with a huge fucking axe and screaming BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE all day, erryday.

Although, if it turns out that the God Emperor is a Chaos God (but benevolent, whatever that means) I'd totally fall in line for the God Emperor.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Nocren wrote: »
    EDIT: In regards to Chaos Gods manifesting.... I recall that the story behind Mordhiem was that a Chaos God essentially got kicked out of the Warp and crashed into the town resulting in the squad-based urban combat setting we know and loved. That true?
    Nah, it was the First Chosen of Chaos; the first Mortal to pledge his service to Chaos and the first to be granted the gift of Immortality as a Daemon Prince. But he was originally imprisoned in the comet that hit the town because he wanted to become a god in his own right.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    From what I know there are a myriad of minor warp deities that also exist, but GW leaves it up to the players to refine that aspect of the lore.

Oh, and of course Khorne wouldn't manifest himself in reality the way the Horned Rat did. Khorne would need a portal a lot bigger than just 500 ft. and a few million more sacrifices to get his brass armored ass into the physical plane.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    From what I know there are a myriad of minor warp deities that also exist, but GW leaves it up to the players to refine that aspect of the lore.

Oh, and of course Khorne wouldn't manifest himself in reality the way the Horned Rat did. Khorne would need a portal a lot bigger than just 500 ft. and a few million more sacrifices to get his brass armored ass into the physical plane.

His sacred number is 8. That's smaller than 13. He's still totally a pussy. :D

Havelock wrote: »

Although, if it turns out that the God Emperor is a Chaos God (but benevolent, whatever that means) I'd totally fall in line for the God Emperor.

Technically all gods in both 40k and Warhammer are Chaos Gods. The weak ones just manage to be a bit more orderly and supportive of the continued existence of the material world.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011

And then he would end the world.

FroThulhu on